Is Canon Pulling Out of Photokina 2018?

ashmadux said:
Have a great day ;D
And you as well.

Dude, dont be a prick. Those were all answers to questions no one actually asked you.
Usually I try not to, but you caught me on a tough night. Even if you didn't ask them, they were the implication of your rant. You're asking Canon to make your ideal camera, not an excellent camera. The fact that Canon's products don't work for you is something you need to work out for yourself.

On the other hand, if you had explained your style of shooting, and said that you hope Canon will address that need soon then there would have been little to criticize.

I'm a concerned canon user, and I can vent. I'm quite well informed of current canon tech, as are many others on this forum, so don't waste your keyboard strokes with foolish 'answers'.

If you waste your keystrokes on foolish rants (as apposed to legitimate criticisms) then I may bring it to your attention.

I, like many others are NOT happy that canon has become the glacial, bottom barrel for camera tech (mostly).

And yet they seem to keep selling to many amateurs and pros, and seem to keep them happy -- I wonder why that is?

That said, If you dont agree with what I am writing as a concerned canon customer with thousands invested, then vaya con dios and beat it. Don't be trollin', son.

Not trolling, just bringing to your attention that you're getting yourself into a froth over something beyond your control: Canon will produce what they believe will sell and be profitable. If you want something different, then buy the thing you want. Don't curse gravity when you drop your beer glass.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Orangutan said:
ashmadux said:
Have a great day ;D
And you as well.

Dude, dont be a prick. Those were all answers to questions no one actually asked you.
Usually I try not to, but you caught me on a tough night. Even if you didn't ask them, they were the implication of your rant. You're asking Canon to make your ideal camera, not an excellent camera. The fact that Canon's products don't work for you is something you need to work out for yourself.

On the other hand, if you had explained your style of shooting, and said that you hope Canon will address that need soon then there would have been little to criticize.

I'm a concerned canon user, and I can vent. I'm quite well informed of current canon tech, as are many others on this forum, so don't waste your keyboard strokes with foolish 'answers'.

If you waste your keystrokes on foolish rants (as apposed to legitimate criticisms) then I may bring it to your attention.

I, like many others are NOT happy that canon has become the glacial, bottom barrel for camera tech (mostly).

And yet they seem to keep selling to many amateurs and pros, and seem to keep them happy -- I wonder why that is?

That said, If you dont agree with what I am writing as a concerned canon customer with thousands invested, then vaya con dios and beat it. Don't be trollin', son.

Not trolling, just bringing to your attention that you're getting yourself into a froth over something beyond your control: Canon will produce what they believe will sell and be profitable. If you want something different, then buy the thing you want. Don't curse gravity when you drop your beer glass.

I would just like to know if the poster actually owned/rented a 6D2 or just didn't like the Chelsea and Tony style rebukes on YT. Actual users really do like it. You know the type, those not shooting brick walls and handling the camera for just a weekend on loaner.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
slclick said:
Orangutan said:
ashmadux said:
Have a great day ;D
And you as well.

I would just like to know if the poster actually owned/rented a 6D2 or just didn't like the Chelsea and Tony style rebukes on YT. Actual users really do like it. You know the type, those not shooting brick walls and handling the camera for just a weekend on loaner.

Im an owner of a 6D MKII (as well as a 5DS and 5D MKIV) Sure its got some limitations but most of the stuff I read about its shortcoming are likely from people who have never shot with it or even held it. The IQ contrary to some "respected testers" is more than enough for 99% of the public and in most situations projected images from it against other Canon cameras could not be guessed at correctly by the majority.
Unfortunately the internet disciples breed laziness and blind faith rather than qualified testing and real world photography therefor professionally I test using tools we use for cinematography, project lenses on a dedicated lens projector and T- stops / f stop machine. Love to hear how Ashmadu tests equipment without a bias.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Photokina has been a shell of its former self for years. In the films days 13-14 halls were used and in covered cinematography as well as photography. The last photokina it was down to 4.5 halls (half a hall with a photo gallery). Canon had a floor in one hall almost to itself where as it used to have a whole hall as did Nikon. The Chinese seem to now have the biggest presence with knock off accessories (Even saw one Chinese guy with a Vernier calliper measuring parts on an Arca-Swiss head, I had him removed by security).

The yearly move we were told by the organisers is at the behest of the large camera & lens manufacturers. Photokina should learn from The Photography Show and have some stores selling equipment at the show, at The Photography Show they are flat out busy with show deals and special offers now common. Adapt or die.

Upvote 0
I have worked in the marketing departments of medium to large sized companies that show in large trade shows in Las Vegas and New York... I know that attending these trade shows have large costs, from airfare to lodging, food, electricity rental for the booth, graphics for the booth (a lot of them require graphics to be done through their vendor, not yours), set up, transportation in the city, etc... And if a company feels that the return of investment in that show isn't worth the initial cost, then they would be stupid to do that, especially since those costs also play a factor in our prices since without our purchases, these shows would be a mute point to begin with... So if it's not worth it or costs gone up too much, forget it.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Elinchrom are attending 24 trade shows in 2018 according to their web-site almost all of these are local market shows where they see potential buyers who are more likely to purchase equipment. Photokina sees a high proportion of global dealers in and of itself it doesn't generate much in the way of direct sales. Elinchrom seems to have made a business decision that Photokina doesn't give them value for money.

Upvote 0
With "premiere" shows like Photokina folks expect, or at least hope for 'block-buster' gear announcements.

Canon's reason may be to save embarrassment for not having anything that exciting to announce,--- OR-- they may have such products that they wish to launch prior to the event; as
a FF Mirror-less, 5DSr, & 7D3 replacements are undoubtedly on the horizon.

Can't help but wonder if Nikon, Sony, Fugi, Pentax, or Panasonic will show, since they're 2018 "block-buster's" are already in the market-place?

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
ashmadux said:
Who cares about another 'next year' announcement... give us canon users a break and just go in the corner until you have something that we can actually be proud of the brand for.

That strikes me as a really odd thing to say. Why would I be proud (or not proud) of a company just because I own some their products?

And then if they came out with some momentous product, why would I be proud of some device that I don't own?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Announcement of an electronics show's new scheduling has morphed into a discussion of the sad phenomenon of associating ones own sense of self-worth with the brand of camera one owns.

How precarious to define a person based on corporate performance. Even if you get the camera right by owning Canon, can you say the same for your automobile, your dishwasher, and your smart-phone? They all have to be the best all the time, otherwise you must hang your head until you can make things right with the right purchase.

Upvote 0
I think, you can delete the rumor:
https://www.diyphotography.net/canon-elinchrom-and-profoto-rumoured-pulling-out-of-photokina-elinchrom-first-to-confirm/

has an update:
"Update – April 11th: Christoph Menke, director of Photokina has been in touch with DIYP to deny the rumours regarding Profoto and Canon. He confirms that both companies will be in attendance at Photokina 2018, and that Canon has committed to support Photokina in 2019 and 2020, as well."

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
wilsberg said:
I think, you can delete the rumor:
https://www.diyphotography.net/canon-elinchrom-and-profoto-rumoured-pulling-out-of-photokina-elinchrom-first-to-confirm/

has an update:
"Update – April 11th: Christoph Menke, director of Photokina has been in touch with DIYP to deny the rumours regarding Profoto and Canon. He confirms that both companies will be in attendance at Photokina 2018, and that Canon has committed to support Photokina in 2019 and 2020, as well."

I'm surprised if anyone actually believed that the rumor was true, but if CR does not report on a widely spread rumor, someone else would post it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
YuengLinger said:
Announcement of an electronics show's new scheduling has morphed into a discussion of the sad phenomenon of associating ones own sense of self-worth with the brand of camera one owns.

How precarious to define a person based on corporate performance. Even if you get the camera right by owning Canon, can you say the same for your automobile, your dishwasher, and your smart-phone? They all have to be the best all the time, otherwise you must hang your head until you can make things right with the right purchase.

Sad sign of the times, I'm afraid. "You are the logo you wear, carry, or drive." People are, or should be, deeper than that.

People should enjoy what they have and not worry that others might think it is behind somehow. Nobody could ever keep up with that and it makes for a very shallow and unhappy life.

These constant badgering cat calls, from people who probably aren't any good with their gear anyway, get really borish. They give no thought to the herculean efforts of minds far more capable than their own that design the tools they use.

Upvote 0