Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

Jan 12, 2011
Get this straight. There will never be a Canon DSLR or mirrorless model with 'better video capabilities'. What was a suspicion earlier is now confirmed. If you are looking for serious video look to other brands.

Unfortunately, this could be right. Canon would rather leave hybrid stills/video money on the table than cannibalize. Of course, the other guy could be right, too, that they just don't have the sensor tech for efficient FF 4K video, let alone 4K 60p, but I find that hard to believe. The 1DXII has it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
What is to be gained by making an RF version, except for perhaps slightly better image stabilization, which nobody seems to be complaining about on the current 70-200 and 400 2.8?
Weather sealing maybe - I can't find anything suggesting that the adapters are sealed. I would be afraid that adapting a weather sealed EF lens to the weather sealed EOS R would be compromised by limited sealing on the adapters.

If anyone knows better or has a link to sealing information I'd love to read about it!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Yes, but for the tele and super-tele lenses, is there truly any optical advantage to the new mount? It's exactly the same diameter as EF, just a shorter flange distance. Since the current EF tele and super-teles already have their rear elements deep inside the back of the lens, it would seem that these lenses have nothing to gain optically from a mount that just has a shorter flange distance.

You can see from the RF lenses they are coming out with that they are focusing on the lenses that actually benefit from the shorter flange distance. The 28-70 f2 probably was not reasonably possible in EF mount, and I believe the new 50mm f1.2 has an optical design that would not be possible without the short flange distance. It does not appear that the teles and super-teles have so much to gain being RF lenses.
Plus the ultrawides do not have anything to gain (privatebydesign explained it before) and some wides do not need an improvent like 35mm 1.4L II and some portrait lenses as well like 85mm 1.4L IS plus some macro lenses like 100mm 2.8L IS and all the TS-E lenses, OK I stop writting my fingers got tired!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That adjustable ND Filter Adapter is just begging for a High MP Camera in the R line with a flippy screen, and some Canon Wide angle EOS glass! Which paradoxically wouldn't be possible with R glass. It will be interesting to see Canon releases L level wide angle lenses? I'd conjecture they stick to 35mm thru 135mm in the next few years and expect EOS glass to cover the ends of the range. Although a Fast 24mm would seam like a good choice given it's one of the older EOS primes.

Upvote 0
Plus the ultrawides do not have anything to gain (privatebydesign explained it before) and some wides do not need an improvent like 35mm 1.4L II and some portrait lenses as well like 85mm 1.4L IS plus some macro lenses like 100mm 2.8L IS and all the TS-E lenses, OK I stop writting my fingers got tired!

Could you put the link to the explanation by privatebydesign please? I would like to read it.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Weather sealing maybe - I can't find anything suggesting that the adapters are sealed. I would be afraid that adapting a weather sealed EF lens to the weather sealed EOS R would be compromised by limited sealing on the adapters.

If anyone knows better or has a link to sealing information I'd love to read about it!

The white paper they released shows rubber gaskets on the adapters so they do have weather sealing as good as L glass

https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/misc-pages/eos-r/pdf/canon_eos_r_white_paper.pdf

edit; the pdf seems to be unavailable from this link now anyone got a working link?

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
This guy probably hasnt used a 1dxmkii with live view? It might be 16 fps and not 20 but it's close

The 1DX2 does not have Servo AF in Live View, however. (The 80D was the first one to have it.) Even the lowly M50 is capable of 10 fps bursts in one-shot AF, but megafast continuous AF with DPAF hasn't yet been demonstrated. Currently the fastest DPAF Servo AF shooters are the M5, M6, and M50 at ~7 fps. However, a future dual-processor R camera should likely do better, at least assuming sensor readout speed isn't a bottleneck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
That is a lot of cameras:
  • 4 "K" series: 1 FF mirrorless, 2 APS-C mirrorless, and 1 DSLR

No, the APS-C bodies are DSLRs. Most likely a new Rebel generation.

Now, the interesting question is whether the 32Mpix DSLR is FF or APS-C – that was not mentioned in the rumor. It just might be the 90D although that's a huge pixel density for a crop sensor. Or it's the 5D5 and it's coming later than 2019.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The 7D2 was delayed about a year because (if I recall correctly) they took a late decision incorporate more of the 5D/1Dx technology - if that were true I would look on that as taking up some of the cycle time to 7D3.
I'd appreciate if Canon would implement a better phase AF system in the 7D3. The not very reliable phase AF system is one of few downsides of the 7D2, but a really annoying one compared with my 5D3. Plus, of course, a 7D3 would need a good 4K video, that can also be used by stills shooter for very high fps rates. This camera is about action in a small body. And Canon should stick with an SLR design. Shooting e.g. wildlife you can peer through the OVP and tele lens for hours without draining the battery.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I hope Canon issues some kind of a roadmap for the future fairly soon. It looks like a lot of folks here want to buy into the R system, but uncertainty about where the current and the next body sits is a problem....is it a 6d or s 5d “equivalent”? I think some clarity here and also about the next body would help people decide whether to pull the trigger or not. Nikon did that, and their shooters st least know what’s coming.

It also sure looks like I’m not the only one who really wants a 5dsr2, mirrorless or dslr.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Modern cellphones are more powerful than high end computers from years ago. Your “no way” flies in the face of progress.

Hmmm...The ARM 845 processor on my breadboards are doing 60 FPS at 4096 by 2160 pixels 32 bit RGBA...AND....I'm doing basic hue, saturation, luma, contrast, gamma and shadows, mid-tones, highlights, and RGB colour processing ON TOP of that LIVE in REALTIME! So yeah! Modern chips CAN EASILY do high end video processing but Canon is INCREDIBLE LAZY by putting in a 1.5 GHz Coretex based CPU into their cameras when they should be putting in a Qualcomm 845 CPU. Put in even a lower-end AMD GPU and I can 8K 8192x4320 pixels at 60 fps or even 120 fps!

Anyways, there's a few surprises coming down the road for ultra high stills and video resolution using extended onboard CPU/GPU processing power with announcements measured in mere weeks, so do hold your breath..............

Upvote 0
I hope Canon issues some kind of a roadmap for the future fairly soon. It looks like a lot of folks here want to buy into the R system, but uncertainty about where the current and the next body sits is a problem.... is it a 6d or a 5d “equivalent”? I think some clarity here and also about the next body would help people decide whether to pull the trigger or not. Nikon did that, and their shooters at least know what’s coming.

It also sure looks like I’m not the only one who really wants a 5dsr2, mirrorless or dslr.

Right on, sir. I just can't do it right now. I'm willing to pay more for extra features that are absent from the R, chiefly IBIS. But will the next release have IBIS???

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Well, actually no. I do not want a dedicated video camera. I don't want to lug around tons of equipment when I am on vacation and choose whichever suits my need for the moment. I want ONE camera, dslr or mirrorless, that does both quite well. Other brands have them - Sony's very capable A73 and soon Panasonic's new full frame which will set the benchmark for video quality (once again). So why don't I just shut up and get one of those ?? I *would* if I weren't held hostage by my EF lenses.

How revealing. So you want a lightweight FF camera to record high quality 4K videos of your holidays...

That certainly isnt why people buy cinema cameras. For most people I know its not why they buy FF cameras at all. Perhaps Canon is more intersted in catering to professionals than your specific holiday wish list? And no one is holding you hostage to anything. Grow up and buy a sony if thats what you actually want (hint... Those FF lenses still arent small).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
How revealing. So you want a lightweight FF camera to record high quality 4K videos of your holidays...

That certainly isnt why people buy cinema cameras. For most people I know its not why they buy FF cameras at all. Perhaps Canon is more intersted in catering to professionals than your specific holiday wish list? And no one is holding you hostage to anything. Grow up and buy a sony if thats what you actually want (hint... Those FF lenses still arent small).

So leaving Canon frees everyone from "hostage" situations with gear??;)

How about if a company disappears; is that a hostage situation or worse? What if they put out model after model and no longer support what is a little out of date or have terrible servicing of the camera/lens that is a few years old? I guess if you're a hostage, death could be preferable to captivity?? I can buy that. :)

Jack

Upvote 0