Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

I'm pretty sure Canon isn't oversampling from the full sensor though but most likely through pixel binning or line skipping. I haven't kept up to date on how it captures full frame in 1080p. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't know for sure, but skipping isn't that simple. Say you can't simply skip all even or odd columns and rows as you will immediately lose all blue or all red pixels, or both blue and red. Although you can skip like this: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... But you will likely get aliasing as skipping will reduce or eliminate the effect from the AA filter and will reduce the amount of information you get for colour interpolation.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
also probably the fact that we get no blackout while shooting

Given Jared Polin's video, and what Canon's been developing with the M50, oh boy you're going to get disappointed.

With mirrorless cameras, it's crucial to understand that no blackout =/= actually seeing what's happening in real time. Remember : you're looking at a screen. And if there's anything Hollywood should teach you about screens, is that it's not reality !

What older mirrorless cameras and current Canon Ms do, during bursts, is to show a slideshow of the previous shots taken during the burst. With these, you actually get the mother of all blackouts as there simply is no liveview feed whatsoever during the entire burst. Because the camera has to read the entire sensor to produce an image out of it, what you see in the viewfinder during the burst is always around more or less 150 millisecond or so behind what is happening.

Current mirrorless cameras, on the other hand, may have a blackout, but they also have a degree of liveview in continuous mode in between frames, that's only lagging by the same amount that the EVF regularly lags, so maybe around 25-35ms. With some mirrorless cameras (the A series for example), this moderate lag is easily compensated by their sorter shutter lag in electronic first curtain mode (25ms for Sony's A series, 50ms for a typical Canon DSLR).

Canon went further with the M50 : in single shot mode, it freezes the EVF for a fraction of a second when taking a shot, instead of going black. As a result, you get the illusion that there is no blackout at any time. It's a neat trick that Canon pulled because apparently it's fooling every one :D.

Now, maybe there is a setting somewhere on the R that would, for the first time in a Canon mirrorless camera, enable liveview feed in burst mode. But I highly, highly doubt it given Canon sensors' readout speed. The only mirrorless cameras that can truly shoot with no blackout whatsoever right now are the A9 and cameras equipped with Sony's stacked 1" sensor.

is it confirmed that Nikon Z6 and Z7 will have EVF blackout?
not sure about it atm.

They have a "blackout", just like any mirrorless camera (including the R, even if Canon tricks people into thinking that there isn't one) other than the A9 and some cameras with smaller sensors, but they also have liveview during bursts (at 5.5fps I believe), which the R most likely doesn't have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
K437

Single lens reflex camera
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed
Battery level indicator is displayed in six levels (same as 5D Mark IV etc.)
Maximum image size of test machine: 6960 × 4640
Probably released in 2019 or later

Battery level indicator on my 5D Mark IV is only four bars. Is it something that was changed in the latest firmware? I'm still on 1.0.4. :confused:

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Given Jared Polin's video, and what Canon's been developing with the M50, oh boy you're going to get disappointed.

With mirrorless cameras, it's crucial to understand that no blackout =/= actually seeing what's happening in real time. Remember : you're looking at a screen. And if there's anything Hollywood should teach you about screens, is that it's not reality !

What older mirrorless cameras and current Canon Ms do, during bursts, is to show a slideshow of the previous shots taken during the burst. With these, you actually get the mother of all blackouts as there simply is no liveview feed whatsoever during the entire burst. Because the camera has to read the entire sensor to produce an image out of it, what you see in the viewfinder during the burst is always around more or less 150 millisecond or so behind what is happening.

Current mirrorless cameras, on the other hand, may have a blackout, but they also have a degree of liveview in continuous mode in between frames, that's only lagging by the same amount that the EVF regularly lags, so maybe around 25-35ms. With some mirrorless cameras (the A series for example), this moderate lag is easily compensated by their sorter shutter lag in electronic first curtain mode (25ms for Sony's A series, 50ms for a typical Canon DSLR).

Canon went further with the M50 : in single shot mode, it freezes the EVF for a fraction of a second when taking a shot, instead of going black. As a result, you get the illusion that there is no blackout at any time. It's a neat trick that Canon pulled because apparently it's fooling every one :D.

Now, maybe there is a setting somewhere on the R that would, for the first time in a Canon mirrorless camera, enable liveview feed in burst mode. But I highly, highly doubt it given Canon sensors' readout speed. The only mirrorless cameras that can truly shoot with no blackout whatsoever right now are the A9 and cameras equipped with Sony's stacked 1" sensor.

They have a "blackout", just like any mirrorless camera (including the R, even if Canon tricks people into thinking that there isn't one) other than the A9 and some cameras with smaller sensors, but they also have liveview during bursts (at 5.5fps I believe), which the R most likely doesn't have.
Yeah, that buffer clearance issue with continuous shooting is what irritates me the most about my M3 and am determined that my next mirrorless will not have that problem. Maybe not quite the same thing as "screen blackout" that others are referring to, but far worse in my opinion. You can see it in this PhotoRec TV video (starting at time marker 1:15). Very glad to have this question answered for me. It's a major concern for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
There is one hard-stop here: if Canon wants the R series to be taken seriously, they need a 1DX2 equivalent before the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games. That is a showcase not just for the athletes but also for the photographers; Nikon, Canon and Sony all out-do themselves for the pro community. And it's on their home-turf. It would be embarrassing if Nikon had the Z7-mark2 and Sony had the A9iv out there while Canon didn't have an ultimate R ready to go.

I'd expect the CPS ready room to have rows and rows of the "1Rx" (have to call it something) with plenty of fast, action-driven RF lenses -- a 70-200 f/2.8, a 400 f2/.8, etc. You don't want to adapt EF lenses to your 1Rx at the Olympics, do you?

So Canon can have their 5D4-minus R, and their 6D2 equivalent R, etc., and build out the line in 2019. But for the Olympics they'd better be ready with the camera the pros want to use.

I Personaly dont think they will build a sportive ros r camera. Sportphotographrr and reporters want big and solid bodies with long battery lasting and native telephoto lenses. I dont think an R would fit that great in there - or at least canon things so.
But I may be wrong.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
K437 is possibly the 7D Mark III.

The 5D IV is too new to replace (yes, I know the original 5d Mark I and the Mark II were replaced in about this timeline, but the 5D IV doesn't really need a refresh yet and I wouldn't see it being replaced until 2020.

A 32 megapixel 7D Mark III would excite some and upset others.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Hope this is not the complete list. I am still hoping for a 5DsR2 soon. Hopefully in a MILC format but at this point the hope has started to fade. The K437 does not say it is FF or APS-C. If it is a FF it most likely the replacement of 5D4. After sitting on the fence about pre-ordering EOS R, I choose not to. I will wait to see what MILC Canon will introduce next.

Upvote 0
The 5Ds is only a first generation (Canon never had a 50 MP sensor before), the follow up will be 5Ds Mark II not IV unless hey merge the 5D mark IV with the 5Ds Rinto a single line, possible but not sure about it.
Eh, we don’t know. A logical increase would be to the 51MP of the S models from 30. Nikon and Sony go from 24 to 45, so it would make sense.

The 51 sensor was better than the 5Dmk III sensor in pixel level noise and dynamic range. But it was an old style design without the amplifier on the chip. I would imagine that if Canon took that sensor and used newer technology as well as including the amp on chip as they do now, it would gain 1.5 to 2 stops over what it is. That would be sufficient. I’d like to see that. I might buy that camera. I almost bought the S, but the noise/dynamics wasn’t good enough.

I waited for, and bought the 5Dmk IV instead.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Is it possible that all the "pros" are not going to suddenly dump their 1DX2 level DSLR cameras and fall madly in love with the supposed mirrorless equivalent? I get the impression there are a lot of posts that are based on it being very important for "pros" to have the "hey look at me I have the latest technology", image. In other realms I often see the best craftsmen not having the latest tools; good tools but not necessarily the most expensive or newest.

The reason is simple. There is a significant amount of talent, skill and artistic ability that factors into the equation.

It made me think of the heated blade hockey skates that were endorsed by "The Great One". I Googled and 90% of the articles are 2007 or earlier.;)

Jack

A lot of the professional photographers I knew are still used 5DMIIs, D800s, D4, and pre 1DX model bodies. You know, cameras that still get the job done. The one's using newer bodies are usually doing so because the old ones finally died, mostly. Some because newer specs actually mattered to their job.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
I am not sure if Canon RF Mount allows Canon to develop Canon RF 100-200 F2.

I do not count on Canon RF for high end wide angle lenses. I will prefer Zeiss high end manual wide angle lenses instead.

This is my dream team:

- Zeiss Milvus 1.4/25 + Canon EF-RF/ND-Filter Adapter
- Canon RF 50mm F1.2
- Canon RF 100-200mm F2 (if available in the future)

We will see.

I will use Canon R for now, and keep it as a souvenir collection for Canon mirrorless first edition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
A lot of the professional photographers I knew are still used 5DMIIs, D800s, D4, and pre 1DX model bodies. You know, cameras that still get the job done. The one's using newer bodies are usually doing so because the old ones finally died, mostly. Some because newer specs actually mattered to their job.

Which is why all this talk of mirrorless replacing DSLRs within 2 or 3 years is a lot of nonsense, in my opinion. The discussion might begin after one more generation of DSLRs - probably 2 generations. So let's all relax for 6 or 7 years, OK?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It seems to me Canon is slowly relegating EF mount into entry level and low mid end range while the more expensive models go to RF mirrorless. it makes a sense since EOS R can use any EF lenses in addition to its superior RF line.

an RF-mount 26MP sounds like a lower tier EOS R to me with no Canon Log and 10 bit recording. I can't see them releasing a fast shooting Pro Grade model within a year yet.

Either that or it is a 26 MP high end replacement for the 20 MP EOS 1D X Mark II.

Upvote 0