Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Either that or it is a 26 MP high end replacement for the 20 MP EOS 1D X Mark II.

Somehow I rather doubt this, at least in a literal sense. Are there many saying that the Sony A9, in spite of all the praise that can be directed toward it, is a replacement for the 1DX2 in all respects? Then, assuming some of Canon's mirrorless capabilities don't even match Sony, how can they produce a replacement for the 1DX2 that is mirrorless? I'm not saying it couldn't be a higher level but replacement, that's asking a lot.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Man. I've been holding out on the rumor that we'd see a 5DsR II (whatever you want to officially name it) in early 2019. None of those specs are at 50MP+ resolutions, let alone 45 something. I was hoping they would have announced something at the camera shows this year. Nada. I guess worst case scenario, for landscape work, I can grab a (cringe) Sony A7R3 and adapt my much loved Canon glass and keep my 5D3 as an all around. sigh. I really don't want to switch systems, but I do want to upgrade and have access to that newer tech.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Of course; we've all seen that. New RF lens: lighter, smaller, ?? better optics. If Canon wants to signal that the R series is for demanding pros, they need the glass that serious pros will want to use. See the new 50 f/1.2 as an example.

Pros are smart -- and cheap! :) They don't buy new glass for the sake of new glass but because it fills a need. Sure, someone with a new EF 400 f/2.8 III isn't buying the RF anytime soon. But there are lots of working pros who would be in the market for new glass. Canon needs to have something for them.

The benefit of the shorter registration distance only applies to lenses with wider apertures and normal to wide angle focal lengths. An RF 400mm f/2.8 would be no smaller/lighter/cheaper than an EF 400mm f/2.8 of similar technology and optics.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'd appreciate if Canon would implement a better phase AF system in the 7D3. The not very reliable phase AF system is one of few downsides of the 7D2, but a really annoying one compared with my 5D3. Plus, of course, a 7D3 would need a good 4K video, that can also be used by stills shooter for very high fps rates. This camera is about action in a small body. And Canon should stick with an SLR design. Shooting e.g. wildlife you can peer through the OVP and tele lens for hours without draining the battery.

It seems to me that the biggest difference between the AF systems in the 5D3 and 7D2 are the respective baselines allowed by the difference in the respective sensor/mirror sizes. APS-C will always require a narrower baseline than FF can use.

Upvote 0
Given Jared Polin's video, and what Canon's been developing with the M50, oh boy you're going to get disappointed.

With mirrorless cameras, it's crucial to understand that no blackout =/= actually seeing what's happening in real time. Remember : you're looking at a screen. And if there's anything Hollywood should teach you about screens, is that it's not reality !

What older mirrorless cameras and current Canon Ms do, during bursts, is to show a slideshow of the previous shots taken during the burst. With these, you actually get the mother of all blackouts as there simply is no liveview feed whatsoever during the entire burst. Because the camera has to read the entire sensor to produce an image out of it, what you see in the viewfinder during the burst is always around more or less 150 millisecond or so behind what is happening.

Current mirrorless cameras, on the other hand, may have a blackout, but they also have a degree of liveview in continuous mode in between frames, that's only lagging by the same amount that the EVF regularly lags, so maybe around 25-35ms. With some mirrorless cameras (the A series for example), this moderate lag is easily compensated by their sorter shutter lag in electronic first curtain mode (25ms for Sony's A series, 50ms for a typical Canon DSLR).

Canon went further with the M50 : in single shot mode, it freezes the EVF for a fraction of a second when taking a shot, instead of going black. As a result, you get the illusion that there is no blackout at any time. It's a neat trick that Canon pulled because apparently it's fooling every one :D.

Now, maybe there is a setting somewhere on the R that would, for the first time in a Canon mirrorless camera, enable liveview feed in burst mode. But I highly, highly doubt it given Canon sensors' readout speed. The only mirrorless cameras that can truly shoot with no blackout whatsoever right now are the A9 and cameras equipped with Sony's stacked 1" sensor.

They have a "blackout", just like any mirrorless camera (including the R, even if Canon tricks people into thinking that there isn't one) other than the A9 and some cameras with smaller sensors, but they also have liveview during bursts (at 5.5fps I believe), which the R most likely doesn't have.

I rewatched the part where fro's video shows the view finder...dang how did i miss the slide show effect?!

All i really want in this camera is atleast 8fps with ai servo, and better noise control then the 7d(I know this one is true)

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
It seems to me that the biggest difference between the AF systems in the 5D3 and 7D2 are the respective baselines allowed by the difference in the respective sensor/mirror sizes. APS-C will always require a narrower baseline than FF can use.
This could well explain why the 7D's phase AF systems massively improves in very bright settings, thank you.

Upvote 0
I don't get why people think that K435 and K436 are 7diii or 90d related. Battery level indication on those cameras is in 6 levels not 4, why would Canon downgrade them? I'm 99% sure that those models are probably the 850D and the 78D, as Rebels are announced around spring time every year. They will have the same sensor with the current models with maybe more DPAF points and new processor (Digic 8).

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
  • EC 811 = EOS M5 II
    • Mirrorless camera, APS-C, Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed, Maximum image size of test machine: 6000 × 4000, Probably released in 2019
  • EC 812 = EOS M6 II
    • Mirrorless camera, APS-C, Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed, Maximum image size of test machine: 6000 × 4000, Probably released in 2019 or later

I'm hoping this is the case, but I'm also hoping it isn't going to be a late 2019 release for the M5 Mark II.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The guys at Canon are chuckling to themselves reading all these comments. You dont make a RF 28-85mm f2L lens and a RF 50mm f1.2L lens if your not going to make a professional body as well. Photokina is annual from next year most likely Canon will launch something ahead of this in May 2019.
It's RF 28-70mm f2L not 28-85

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Somehow I rather doubt this, at least in a literal sense. Are there many saying that the Sony A9, in spite of all the praise that can be directed toward it, is a replacement for the 1DX2 in all respects? Then, assuming some of Canon's mirrorless capabilities don't even match Sony, how can they produce a replacement for the 1DX2 that is mirrorless? I'm not saying it couldn't be a higher level but replacement, that's asking a lot.

Jack

The sea change that has occurred in the past five years in how photojournalists, particularly those shooting sports, are hired and who buys the gear they use is going to affect what they want in that gear. Price/cost is more important than it ever has been in the past for PJs.

I know a veteran PJ who just retired from a staff position with a statewide online news service that was originally formed by the three or four largest newspapers in the state. As a staffer, he was issued gear that included a Canon 1D X (his last one may have been a Mark II), and big glass like the 300/2.8 and 400/2.8.

Now that he is freelancing he must provide his own gear.

He went with the Sony α9.

The primary reason was because the α9 was considerably cheaper than a 1D X Mark II, but also because he felt the IQ and IBIS were enough better that he can get away a little more with shooting using a 70-200/2.8 and cropping a lot of the things for which he used to use a company issued 300/2.8 or 400/2.8. Non-pros may consider a 70-200/2.8 to be expensive, but it's nothing compared to the cost of a 300/2.8 or 400/2.8! He's also getting to the age where the lighter weight of a 70-200/2.8 compared to a 300/2.8 or 400/2.8 is becoming more and more of a consideration when running up and down the sidelines of field sports.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Some disagree with me when I say that Canon is at the top of the food chain when it comes to knowing how to segment their products. But even this set of leaked specs proves just how far they'll go to artificially segment their products. Anyone know what I'm referring to?
The damn battery indicator! Some of the cameras (lower-tier, presumably) have a 4-level battery indicator while some have a 6-level battery indicator. Come the f*** on, Canon! Could you BE a touch more pedantic?
Not to hold Sony up as some paragon of camera design, but everything, from their lowly A5100 up to the A9 all display the percent left of the battery. How hard is that to implement so you don't have to dive into the menus to find it? Seems like an exact measure would be ideal yet Canon (and Nikon) want to stick with a dumb image of a battery with segments on it.

Yeah, I mean who cares if the "exact" percentages aren't really that accurate in terms of how many shots one has left compared to how many shots one has already taken?

It makes the spec sheet look better, right?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The sea change that has occurred in the past five years in how photojournalists, particularly those shooting sports, are hired and who buys the gear they use is going to affect what they want in that gear. Price/cost is more important than it ever has been in the past for PJs.

I know a veteran PJ who just retired from a staff position with a statewide online news service that was originally formed by the three or four largest newspapers in the state. As a staffer, he was issued gear that included a Canon 1D X (his last one may have been a Mark II), and big glass like the 300/2.8 and 400/2.8.

Now that he is freelancing he must provide his own gear.

He went with the Sony α9.

The primary reason was because the α9 was considerably cheaper than a 1D X Mark II, but also because he felt the IQ and IBIS were enough better that he can get away a little more with shooting using a 70-200/2.8 and cropping a lot of the things for which he used to use a company issued 300/2.8 or 400/2.8. Non-pros may consider a 70-200/2.8 to be expensive, but it's nothing compared to the cost of a 300/2.8 or 400/2.8! He's also getting to the age where the lighter weight of a 70-200/2.8 compared to a 300/2.8 or 400/2.8 is becoming more and more of a consideration when running up and down the sidelines of field sports.

Well, I have no crystal ball so your thoughts are as valid as mine. We shall see.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have another anecdotal tale, a well regarded internationally accredited long term Canon using golf and tennis shooter team, they have just sold their 1DX MkII, 1DX MkI, 5D MkIV and 5DSr and gone to 2 A9's. Their primary reasons were silent shutter (becoming compulsory for golf) and 20fps with no blackout.

Indeed times are changing, all we can hope to do is prioritize features most valuable to our own shooting situations and choose wisely based on that. I was pretty sure I'd be getting a 5DSr to compliment the 1DX MkII's, but given the different feature set the R's offer I am thinking I will wait until they make a high resolution FF mirrorless to round out/maximise my gear capabilities.

Upvote 0
There are a lot of good points here, but consider that (according to the US Department of Labor) there are roughly 49,000 professional photographers in the United States. (see https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes274021.htm ) That's a pretty small number. (Compare to 183K Electrical Engineers, for example) I can't think of any reason that other countries would have significantly higher percentages of their population working in the field of photography.

So clearly Canon isn't making the cameras just for those pros. They're way too small of a group. So why has Canon always cared about the pros so much? Because of their influence. But you know who has come along and stolen a ton of the pro photographer's influence on the camera buying public? YouTube and Instagram influencers. Not trying to disparage the YouTubers, but a lot of them don't fit the "pro photographer" mold. They really are more focussed on talking about gear, unboxing new gear, giving advice, and being talking heads in general. But their influence has become huge. Things have changed. I'm sure Canon is well aware of it. Ask yourself: which has more influence? The brief glimpse of photogs at an Olympic event shooting with white lenses (which doesn't necessarily even mean Canon any longer), or a vlogger with over a million subscribers telling everyone their detailed opinions on a new Canon release?

I'm not trying to imply Canon doesn't care about the pro photographer. They clearly have some hard-won respect with their unrivaled CPS and they don't want to give that up. But I think a lot of commenters here credit the pro photographers as having way more influence on Canon's planning than they probably have at this point in time.

Capturing the Pro market has been a Canon strategy for years. This isn't going to change.
Word of mouth is still a greater marketing strategy than You Tube.
Advanced Amateurs watch what the Pro's are using.
Relatives, beginners and friends come to the Pro's and Amateurs to find out what they should be buying.

The other thing is I know several people who think they could be You Tube millionaires, many people do and it becomes a joke. These bloggers many people take with a grain of salt when watching.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Capturing the Pro market has been a Canon strategy for years. This isn't going to change.
Word of mouth is still a greater marketing strategy than You Tube.
Advanced Amateurs watch what the Pro's are using.
Relatives, beginners and friends come to the Pro's and Amateurs to find out what they should be buying.

The other thing is I know several people who think they could be You Tube millionaires, many people do and it becomes a joke. These bloggers many people take with a grain of salt when watching.

Maybe. But it seems to me that youTube is becoming more and more influential in that respect.

In the past, friends/relatives/acquaintances would mostly accept my advice at face value. Now when friends/relatives/acquaintances ask me about gear, they get a puzzled look on their faces and start talking about the youTube videos they've watched that say "so and so" if I express an opinion that is different from the prevailing view on youTube.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Man. I've been holding out on the rumor that we'd see a 5DsR II (whatever you want to officially name it) in early 2019. None of those specs are at 50MP+ resolutions, let alone 45 something. I was hoping they would have announced something at the camera shows this year. Nada. I guess worst case scenario, for landscape work, I can grab a (cringe) Sony A7R3 and adapt my much loved Canon glass and keep my 5D3 as an all around. sigh. I really don't want to switch systems, but I do want to upgrade and have access to that newer tech.

I was hoping for a 5DsR2 as well and further hoping Canon will deliver that in a MILC format. I would be fine without 4k video if that is around $3k mark. The most important thing for me in that is no AA filter. Like I said in another post my hopes for this camera is fading away. I get a feeling Canon might not deliver a successor to that. Let's hope not.

Upvote 0