More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

Hope is my isn’t larger than the EOSR. I think the R’s size should be the limit for mirrorless cameras. I think camera manufacturers need to think about that.

Buy the EOS R then .. it exists.

For the rest of us, I'm fine with a "slightly" larger body in addition to my EOS R.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
First half of 2020? Basically waiting for up to 9 months. Maybe up to a year. Any word on IBIS?
And most important question (which I'm asking myself) - should I maybe buy A7RIV?

To be fair if you want a camera now that has a high mp count the A7Riv is a great option and you'll have a camera that isn't vapourware. Further to this, you can always sell it when the Canon body comes out. You'll lose some money but no more than you would through normal devaluation.

I'm also taking the same outlook on the pro mirrorless. I find it hard to see that with 2020 being an olympic year that we're looking at late 2020 for the pro bodies and 2021 for the X mirrorless. I love my Eos R's but they're a compromise. The A7iii has all the features I need, colours are pretty much on point now and the lenses available aren't stupidly heavy (and cheaper) than the RF versions.

There comes a point when yes, the glass is great but they are neglecting the needs of users. i.e. the 85mm 1.8 was launched 27 years ago and hasn't been updated since and I really worry that if they do an RF version it'll be a crappy STM one because I'll probably walk from Canon at that point because STM is not the way I want to go.

So while we have a lightweight rf35 its focus is via slow STM, the macro function makes it hard to focus on low contrast items at a distance and on the dancefloor the STM can't react quickly enough to follow subjects compared to USM. I now adapt the EF F2 35mm IS and that nails it.

Sony has modern 35, 55 and 85 1.8 lenses. Why the hell don't we have L versions of these focal lengths at these apertures yet. I really can't carry 10 kg of kit for 10 hours at a wedding. But thanks for the super heavy RF lenses all the same Canon. Studio users seem to be your target right now. Screw those of us shooting weddings.

Sorry, I started to rant...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I obviously don't know your specific situation, but I'd suggest you wait for this thing to be released before jumping to the A7R IV, so you can accurately compare them. Informed decisions are always good, even though waiting sucks. :) As far as IBIS...pretty darn sure it will have it. It looks like the R was supposed to have it, based on the big gap between the two internal circuit boards, but Canon held off. Probably needed to work out the kinks. Should be good to go by now, I would think.

That was the plan, to wait and compare. But next year? Come on Canon. I've been waiting since last year. The issue is, I actually expected more from A7RIV, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate. But Sony disappointed a bit. Actually it disappointed by two bits, instead of 16-bit sensor the delivered 14-bit one... The rumours were it would be a 16-bit one.

As to IBIS, it's highly desirable but not crucial for me. IBIS or no IBIS, I think Canon will deliver a great camera, except I'm not sure about its dynamic range compared to A7RIV and to 5DIV.

Upvote 0
Sure, get the a7RIV to hold you over until the Canon hi-res R comes out, then sell the Sony and get the Canon. Have fun out there! That is what photography is for!

Hmm good thinking, although I don't have a budget for it. I.e. buying and selling an extra time means additional losses. But thanks I'll seriously think about such an option.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The number of different bodies Canon puts out suggests that they do not have or do not view different bodies as a constraint. Looking at Sony's background (electronics manufacturing) versus Canon's gives a clue as to the different design/manufacturing process that both companies follow. Whilst Sony seems to be constrained by body design, Canon does not.
Or Sony doesn't consider ergonomics a feature to be worried about. ;)

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Canon Rumors, your push notifications pop up banner is incredibly intrusive and annoying. I always click on "Don't Allow", but every next time I visit here, this pop up appears again.
Why do you keep torturing your readers like that?

Ummm, to monetize the website so that it pays the rent?

Upvote 0
my guess is they designed the ergonomic body, and simply had room left to spare.

I know.. that's not nearly as much fun ;)
I always wondered if the chip and logic boards in the 80d/77d/rebel etc that have the same sensor had the same pcb boards too, with different bodies. I guess that's more of what I was thinking. Leave room for the IBIS if they reuse that internal design.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
You laugh, but using the touchscreen for this works well, except for those with smaller hands. A small touch box might work well, sort of like a mini touchpad ala a laptop's touchpad. If you moved your finger to the side it could scroll more quickly than a joystick and as you brought it in to the middle it could slide the focal points to a smaller area. You could also do some neat ui tricks on the display by drawing a box around a zone of points, and moving your fingers to the edge of the touchpad moves that outer box to quickly zoom to another area of the display then moving more towards the middle selects the points in that zone.

You could do this with an analog style joystick too - light touch moves just one or two points at a time, hard push to the side moves 10-15 points at a time. If you've ever used a PS4 or Xbox, this would be analogous to the stick controller.

Yes, it definitely occurred to me as I was typing that it might not even be a half-bad idea. On the smaller bodies, changing the AF point using the main touchscreen apparently works very well, but on a larger camera the main screen is a bit too far away. Additionally, a digital joystick isn't really the right control anymore when you have thousands of AF point positions to select from. An analog stick or a touchpad should work much better—now that I think about it, I wouldn't even be surprised if the "new type" ends up being either of those. Or, hell, why not a trackball (one with enough friction to prevent unintended movements)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Hope is my isn’t larger than the EOSR. I think the R’s size should be the limit for mirrorless cameras. I think camera manufacturers need to think about that.
Personally i found the EOS-R a little to small and angular. A 'little' larger sounds OK.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors, your push notifications pop up banner is incredibly intrusive and annoying. I always click on "Don't Allow", but every next time I visit here, this pop up appears again.
Why do you keep torturing your readers like that?

CR uses PushCrew to control the notifications. All the CR website does is embed pushcrew's javascript. Pushcrew are the ones that are ultimately responsible for how many times you see that notification. I just verified my pushcrew panel (I have slowly migrated off of pushcrew), and even under advanced settings, there's not much in the way of configurable items that can be changed, and none that would influence how many times you see it.

Do you have cookies or anything disabled by any chance? they may pop a cookie on your browser to say that you have pressed don't allow.

Upvote 0