Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Mar 26, 2014
Re: Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Keith_Reeder said:
Well, as someone who uses a camera with 2 card slots, I have to tell you that it's a pretty common choice among wildlife/action/sport 'togs to use the second slot not as back-up, but in order to ensure plentiful storage capacity so as not to miss shots (possibly the shot) due to filling the card(s).

Nowadays, one can buy a 256GB SD card for $100-$200. Assuming a 40MB raw file, that's sufficient for >6,000 photos.

What would be the usage scenario that does not allow switching memory cards at least every 6,000 photos?

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015

neuroanatomist said:
K said:
Given Nikon's trend - the D760 or whatever it will be called, will probably

...be recalled for some manufacturing or design flaw within a few months of launch, and be vastly outsold by the 6DII.

Canon isn't so squeaky clean -

5D4 still has unacceptable and unadmitted by Canon banding issues, even with some non-extreme adjustments (2 stops shadows).

7D2 had AF issues.

There have been firmware debacles.

They had card compatibility and write issues ...(where they blamed the card manufacturers!!! LOL).

Just to name a few...

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Besides, your attack of the D750 is a giant strawman argument. Manufacturing issues are a separate topic and doesn't make up for the fact that the 6D2 is an underspecced, poor value camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

K said:
neuroanatomist said:
K said:

...be recalled for some manufacturing or design flaw within a few months of launch, and be vastly outsold by the 6DII.

Canon isn't so squeaky clean -

5D4 still has unacceptable and unadmitted by Canon banding issues, even with some non-extreme adjustments (2 stops shadows).

7D2 had AF issues.

There have been firmware debacles.

They had card compatibility and write issues ...(where they blamed the card manufacturers!!! LOL).

Just to name a few...

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Besides, your attack of the D750 is a giant strawman argument. Manufacturing issues are a separate topic and doesn't make up for the fact that the 6D2 is an underspecced, poor value camera.

Sure, Canon has had issues. And it does seem Nikon learned to openly acknowledge their problems, although it took the world's most populous nation banning sales of the D600 in their country to teach them that lesson.

I guess you stopped reading before the 'vastly outsold by the 6DII' part. Or you have no rebuttal to that, because your mypoic little world view precludes you from realizing that your wants are not, in any way, representative of the general ILC-buying market.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

K said:

Underspecced compared to the D750 - a camera launched as a competitor for the 5D series and sold so poorly they had to drop the price so it could compete with the Canon model lower on the spec ?
I would take that as a massive compliment to the 6D.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

neuroanatomist said:
K said:

Either that or be quickly discounted a few hundred dollars to get into the 6DII ballpark. Interesting situation facing Nikon. The D760 is going to have to raise the bar higher than the D750 in performance, as K so happily points out. At the same time, the D760 is going to have to cope with price points set by the 6DII and the D750 discounts.

If I recollect correctly the initial price of the D750 was 20% higher than what will be the initial price of the 6DII. It was the job of the D610 to match the price of the 6D, and that didn't work out all that well for Nikon, so we have the current D750 pricing that K finds so compelling. My advice is to get it while you can, if that is what you want. On the other hand, there is no telling what will happen if Nikon loses control of the D760 pricing. Might be some more pretty good deals down the road, if Nikon manages to stay afloat and you are not worried about service.

Upvote 0

OK, the single SD is no good for me, I'll pass. But to those who are outraged by a single card, buy an old 5DIII and be happy. In my case, I'll just keep the one I've got. I was hoping I could trade the III for a smaller lighter 6D, but I'm happy to wait for a full frame mirror-less now. Not sure the 6 will be much smaller anyway. And this would have been a second body to a 5DIV, so it's all just refinement of an already solid set-up.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Antono Refa said:
Keith_Reeder said:
Well, as someone who uses a camera with 2 card slots, I have to tell you that it's a pretty common choice among wildlife/action/sport 'togs to use the second slot not as back-up, but in order to ensure plentiful storage capacity so as not to miss shots (possibly the shot) due to filling the card(s).

Nowadays, one can buy a 256GB SD card for $100-$200. Assuming a 40MB raw file, that's sufficient for >6,000 photos.

What would be the usage scenario that does not allow switching memory cards at least every 6,000 photos?

I do use the second slot in the way Keith describes. I don't use a 256GB card because I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and the cost for a CFast card in that category is more than I want to spend. But, that's the rub, I'm using a 1DX II and shooting sports at 12 fps. When the CFast card fills, I let it spill over to the CF card until the action pauses and then change out the CFast card.

None of this is a scenario that applies to the 6D, which isn't designed for sports or quick action in the first place. So, not putting two card slots in a 6D II seems very reasonable.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer

The actual cost of swapping systems is prohibitive which ever way you look at it.

The sony crowd were happy because they could mount canon glass but with poor af. Swapping to Nikon is futile because in 3 years time with the same mentality you will be back in the Canon camp.

These features that are being bickered over are so minimal in an entry level body.

Which is the final point talk is cheap and many dont act.

All these youtube videos you see of people swapping out systems is bait, and they are usually paid to do so. The followers regurgitate the same BS else, in most cases having no experience but the ability to read a spec sheets.

Whats more interesting to me is that 99% of these people post no images, its always the same few that actually share images because they actually use their equipment to shoot images.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Don Haines said:
dak723 said:
neuroanatomist said:
dak723 said:
When I bought my original 6D, there were many shots that I could not satisfactorily get on FF compared to crop. So I bought a new crop as well. The versatility of having both was a big plus, in my opinion. I know the FF is always better crowd will jump up and down in disagreement, but it depends a lot on what you shoot.

FF sensors will always deliver better IQ than crop sensors, period.

Yes, they do. No argument there. Of course, I made no mention of IQ. But I guess some people just have to be argumentative - even if they don't read or understand what is written by the other person! :)

I don't believe this is always the truth.... If you are not reach limited (you can zoom by lens or by foot) then you can get the FF and crop images framed the same and (assuming similar technology levels) the FF camera wins for image quality.

If you are dealing with an old FF camera and a new crop camera, depending on the models involved, the crop may have better high ISO performance.... for example, my 5D2 and 7D2 are similar in poor light.

If you are reach limited (assuming similar technology levels), the crop (usually) gives you more pixels on the target, but the pixels of the FF are of better quality. Which one is better depends on what you are trying to do. For example, when trying to do inventory verification of objects mounted on a 9M dish, you care more about reading the serial number than how nice the picture is.... and if you can do it with a camera from the ground instead of going to get the genie-lift and driving it 3K to the dish, and then back, at 5Kph........

So yes, USUALLY the FF camera is better, but under certain conditions, not always....

Agree with Don. Plus, to make a blanket statement that Full Frame is always better ignores the real world use of an image.

At ISO 400 and below, the full frame may be theoretically better, but not in any way that can be seen by the human eye in a printed image at normal viewing distances.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer

wildwalker said:
tomscott said:
My area is the Lake district in Cumbria which is the wettest place in England and rains most of the year.

I thought K's keyboard was the wettest place on earth, he's been crying over it for a week :)

Haha ;D

Upvote 0

1) GPS will work fine on the phone. I used the gps on a cheap 2011 sony walkman phone to log a hike in Patagonia - no reception for 9 days. I never even subscribed to data connection on that phone at home - just used wifi to download music or podcasts to listen to during day. It worked (I used some tracker app, turned off other connections and turned off the phone most of the time - turned it on, hit a button to log gps coordinates, etc)

2) It worked fine, but it's not convenient compared to having gps embedded in every photo. I really like the feature in my 6D just like I like it in my phone: every single camera now should have it - like every last cheapest smartphone has it.

IglooEater said:
goldenhusky said:
Sounds like a decent camera for the price. Hope they do not skip the GPS. I guess there is one down side to the cellphone based GPS data like in the M6, it is impossible to get the GPS data while hiking a trail without any cell phone signals. Somebody correct me if I am wrong here. I know that phone have dedicated GPS receiver but to get the location they need to download the map with needs data connection. I hope the SD card slot is UHS-ll. The other items I had hoped for in the past were dual card slots and 4k@30p, 1080@ 180fps. Sounds like none of those are happening. My thought is that all these specs are still speculations. Lately it almost sounds like nobody gets specs unless nok____ta leaks the actual specs a day to a week prior to launch. If these are in fact the actual specs I do not see a point in getting this while I have a 5D4 and 80D. I am really happy with that combo. And for Video I have Sony a 6500. I will definitely buy 6D2 if it has 1080p@180fps and 4k and canon charges a $500 extra. I can get rid of the Sony system completely

My phone's GPS (iPhone 5) works perfectly even without any cell connectivity. So did my iPhone 4. Can't remember the 3G did or not

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015

They just had a sale on the D750, and most retailers were sold out and on backorder. Sure, the D750 is a major flop...

Zealots and fanatics like the Canon apologists cannot be reasoned with. Up is down, and down is up. They see whatever they want.

If the D750 was to compete with the 5D line, do remember it came in $1,000+ less at intro.

It's not. It technically fills the role of a entry/mid FF. Canon peeps want to say it competes with the 5D and this forms a type of concession that Canon has nothing to compete against the D750 with. They don't realize this undermines them.

Against the 5D3, there are pros and cons to each. No clear winner on specs depending on what you value since it isn't an apples to apples comparison. That's a type of win for Nikon, since this is one level down in camera and $1,000 cheaper release price and yet it holds its own and surpassed a higher tier camera body from Canon. I would say the D750 does win on specs. The AF is better, the sensor is VASTLY superior. If you want better build quality, 1/8000, CF cards then the 5D3 is better.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

K said:
Canon peeps want to say it competes with the 5D and this forms a type of concession that Canon has nothing to compete against the D750 with. They don't realize this undermines them.

It's been pretty widely acknowledged here that the D750 has no equivalent in the Canon lineup. Nikon tried something new, targeting a niche in between the D8x0/5DIII-IV and the D6x0/6D. The fact that Nikon had to cut the prices so drastically is a fair indicator of how unsuccessful that attempt turned out.

K said:
Zealots and fanatics ... cannot be reasoned with.

Yes, you're clearly showing that statement to be correct.

Upvote 0

The3o5FlyGuy said:
the pricepoint for the features is disappointing. The 5D mark III easily goes for $1700 used. I have to get my hands on this camera to see if it's better, because if it's not, I'm getting the 5D Mark III, or the 5Ds

Once again: how is it fair to compare the used price of a camera several years old to the RRP of a brand new one?

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014

unfocused said:
Antono Refa said:
Keith_Reeder said:

I do use the second slot in the way Keith describes. I don't use a 256GB card because I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket

So you do not assume card failures are vanishingly rare, assuming properly-sourced, quality cards are used, which leads me to...

1) Would cutting the risk by half, using 64GB cards and switching every 3,000 photos, be acceptable to you?

How about 32GB cards and switching every 1,500 photos?

How about 16GB cards and switching every 750 photos?

2) If you can't switch cards every 750 photos, and you still don't like the disk, wouldn't the obvious solution be buying a camera with two slots, two 32GB cards, and switch every 1,500 photos?

[Replace 750 and 32GB with 1,500 and 64GB, etc, according to your needs & assessment of chances of failure.]

Hope that makes my point clear.

unfocused said:
and the cost for a CFast card in that category is more than I want to spend. But, that's the rub, I'm using a 1DX II and shooting sports at 12 fps. When the CFast card fills, I let it spill over to the CF card until the action pauses and then change out the CFast card.

Sounds like you're getting way less breathing time than I would expect.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014

tomscott said:
The actual cost of swapping systems is prohibitive which ever way you look at it.

The sony crowd were happy because they could mount canon glass but with poor af. Swapping to Nikon is futile because in 3 years time with the same mentality you will be back in the Canon camp.

These features that are being bickered over are so minimal in an entry level body.

Which is the final point talk is cheap and many dont act.

All these youtube videos you see of people swapping out systems is bait, and they are usually paid to do so. The followers regurgitate the same BS else, in most cases having no experience but the ability to read a spec sheets.

Whats more interesting to me is that 99% of these people post no images, its always the same few that actually share images because they actually use their equipment to shoot images.

A+

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015

neuroanatomist said:
The fact that Nikon had to cut the prices so drastically is a fair indicator of how unsuccessful that attempt turned out.

Laughable to say the least. Let's apply your own standards. Do you sit on the board at Nikon? Are you in the executive meetings? No. You're a nobody and as a result you have zero authority to speak on the motives of Nikon for anything related to product intention and pricing. See how that works? Live by the sword, die by it.

Next,

This camera is from 2014, you can look at the pricing history - it doesn't follow any kind of abnormal path to indicate that all of a sudden the camera was a flop and needed a price reduction to make up for it as you have everyone believe.

Next,

I'm not here to defend Nikon or the D750 as you would try to frame this as - I'm merely pointing out it is a better specced and better value camera than Canon's crappy 6D line. Hey, at entry FF ($2,000ish) Canon is awful. But at $3,300 and above, they are superior to Nikon dollar for dollar. See, I provide reasonable, measured, and balanced opinions and views. Not pro-Canon fanaticism and fan-boyism that defends Canon as perfect, awesome, the greatest in every way, shape and form and free from fault of any kind.

Upvote 0