Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Jul 28, 2015
Re: Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

transpo1 said:
And it's entirely possible that they just could not do it without increasing the cost of the camera significantly. But judging by past tendencies...it seems more likely to me that they just didn't want to.

If it's the price you are worried about then buy a different brand of FF camera with 4k for 2,000$

Oh...there aren't any....

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England

transpo1 said:
Which, of course, begs the question- why no 4k on the 6DII. Answer: Canon protecting the 5DIV

Nope.

Canon (which actually knows its target markets pretty bloody well) simply does not consider that for the most part - important point, that - the target audience for the 6D Mk II needs/wants 4k.

You know that's true.

It's as simple as that - no need for conspiracy theories. Canon doesn't care even a little bit whether you buy a 5D Mk IV or a 6D Mk II - a sale is a sale is a sale.

And all of this assumes that the 6D Mk II doesn't have 4k, of course...

Upvote 0

This camera is for me and I am strongly intending on picking one up.

As a photographer who has racked up less than 1 hour of video in 6 years of photography, 4K means nothing to me.

But a great price point, vastly improved AF system and generational improvement on the sensor makes this a solid improvement over the 6D Classic.

Consider me sold

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

dak723 said:
neuroanatomist said:
dak723 said:
When I bought my original 6D, there were many shots that I could not satisfactorily get on FF compared to crop. So I bought a new crop as well. The versatility of having both was a big plus, in my opinion. I know the FF is always better crowd will jump up and down in disagreement, but it depends a lot on what you shoot.

FF sensors will always deliver better IQ than crop sensors, period.

Yes, they do. No argument there. Of course, I made no mention of IQ. But I guess some people just have to be argumentative - even if they don't read or understand what is written by the other person! :)

Indeed. Apparently, some people will even argue with and toss out veiled insults at those who are agreeing with them. But at least you proved your own point very effectively... :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

transpo1 said:
Which, of course, begs the question- why no 4K on the 6DII. Answer: Canon protecting the 5DIV (which, honestly, doesn't have 4K video that is good enough to protect) and the 1DXII (which doesn't have C-Log).

Which, of course, begs the question- why no C-Log on the 1D X II. Answer: Canon protecting the 5DIV.

Gee, playing 'let's make nonsensical statements' is fun!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Keith_Reeder said:
dak723 said:
Yes, they do. No argument there.

Argument here, though.

Let's say instead that at any given state of the art, and assuming all other things technological being equal, FF will out-IQ crop: but new crop sensors unquestionably monster old FF sensors in IQ terms.

It is not axiomatic that any FF sensor will beat any crop sensor. Not even close to true.

I think it's axiomatic that not everyone stating an axiom will automatically state every assumption underlying that axiom.

Let's say instead that at any given state of the art, and assuming all other things technological being equal, and assuming any other non-technological factors also being held equal...

After all, we wouldn't want someone comparing a crop sensor to a FF sensor where someone had smeared a thick coat of Vaseline on the latter, and invalidating our axiom.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer

I think that's a really good price.

Also means if you want a 5DMKIII for the options lacking in the 6DMKII they will see a reduction and the 5DMKVI will also probably pretty heavy cut too similar to the 5DMKIII about 18 months after release. People who don't need the spec increase or want the weather sealing will be able to buy a 6D for not much more than a XXD model.

Its a pretty good time to be a photographer. 4 cameras that offer a huge variation for people to upgrade to FF. People seem to forget that FF is still very niche in photography and not a given. The fact we have 4 cameras to choose from is fantastic. That doesn't include the 1D variants.

I understand the worries with the lack of 2 card slots but this is the entry level body and tbh if you need 2 card slots then you probably need the build quality of the 5 series too. With those specs it would more than do for a secondary or even third backup.

For the price difference as ive said in previous threads these cameras used by pros are written off so quickly that its not worth worrying about. This is why I generally ignore these complaint threads. Buying these cameras is not an emotional investment its economic business sense to upgrade kit that's been heavily used for newer, reliable gear.

Say a pair of 5DMKVIs have a pro life span of 4 years at £3500, 7K over 4 years a pro outlays £36.50 per week. Its not worth worrying about which is why many money earing pros don't....

Even so, one camera will probably get used in more hostile shooting situations and another used more sparingly so one is probably high miler low value and the other probably still high miler but good condition so can be traded in and that cost comes down further.

Here in the UK 200k 5DMKIIIs are retailing for around £1000 still which is just less a third of its original retail value. Pretty good really...

Bodies are short term, lenses are investments.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

neuroanatomist said:
transpo1 said:
Which, of course, begs the question- why no 4K on the 6DII. Answer: Canon protecting the 5DIV (which, honestly, doesn't have 4K video that is good enough to protect) and the 1DXII (which doesn't have C-Log).

Which, of course, begs the question- why no C-Log on the 1D X II. Answer: Canon protecting the 5DIV.

Gee, playing 'let's make nonsensical statements' is fun!

So far as I know, nobody has ever introduced a fullframe DSLR with 4K below the $3000 price point. Right now, the least expensive DSLRs with 4K are a couple of 2 year old Sony's selling at north of $2500. Why should anybody think that Canon could put 4K video into a smallish DSLR with a nonmetallic shell that they are designing to sell for $2000? It isn't Canon that is protecting the 5DIV. It is the current state of the art. Canon may be good, but they are not that good.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

BillB said:
So far as I know, nobody has ever introduced a fullframe DSLR with 4K below the $3000 price point. Right now, the least expensive DSLRs with 4K are a couple of 2 year old Sony's selling at north of $2500. Why should anybody think that Canon could put 4K video into a smallish DSLR with a nonmetallic shell that they are designing to sell for $2000? It isn't Canon that is protecting the 5DIV. It is the current state of the art. Canon may be good, but they are not that good.

Because I wants it, Precious. I wants it now, and I wants it for free, my Precious. :D

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015

On things which matter for stills shooters, the 6D2 does not surpass the 2014 Nikon D750.

D750 and D810 updates are just around the corner....

Given Nikon's trend - the D760 or whatever it will be called, will probably have the same AF as the D5 and D500 which is excellent and better than anything except the 1DX2. We don't even have to wait for the Nikon update to declare the 6D2 behind the times...

6D2 is weaksauce. It will be a DPAF and a flippy screen. That's it. People looking for a DPAF and a flippy screen for 1080, this is your camera.

For anyone else that needs reasonable capabilities in other areas, and doesn't want to spend $3,300 - Canon is not for you.

On another note, I was right. It was going to be either or. It was going to be either AF or cards/fps. Canon is much smarter than their loyalists, apologists and fanatics on this forum who deny the importance of dual card slot. Canon is willing to offer a 45pt AF in a FF which is decent...knowing this is far less likely to eat into 5D4 sales than dual card slot.

There cannot be any more proof than that. Canon is very careful about what they omit for these purposes. Dual slot means some people skip the 5D4, others go to other brands. Canon is betting people cough up the extra $1,300 and stay with Canon. I advise people to not reward a company for these kinds of tactics. Nikon is better choice for most people. The results are the same anyway. Anyone of lower budget or new to FF should avoid Canon like the plague. Once "invested" in glass - you will have to pay big premium for under-specced bodies for years and years.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

K said:
Nikon is better choice for most people. The results are the same anyway. Anyone of lower budget or new to FF should avoid Canon like the plague. Once "invested" in glass - you will have to pay big premium for under-specced bodies for years and years.

So switch brands and stop whining because dual card slots are obviously so important to you. Your refusal to move to Canon shows a short-term thinking that cannot be good for you (financially or your psychological well being) and in 2 years time the 'premium' you pay for Canon will instead be sitting in your pocket. You clearly have absolutely no reason to stay with Canon apart from laziness - and by being lazy you are telling Canon 'hey, you are doing it right' and they will not change.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

K said:
On things which matter for stills shooters, the 6D2 does not surpass the 2014 Nikon D750.

D750 and D810 updates are just around the corner....

Given Nikon's trend - the D760 or whatever it will be called, will probably have the same AF as the D5 and D500 which is excellent and better than anything except the 1DX2. We don't even have to wait for the Nikon update to declare the 6D2 behind the times...

6D2 is weaksauce. It will be a DPAF and a flippy screen. That's it. People looking for a DPAF and a flippy screen for 1080, this is your camera.

For anyone else that needs reasonable capabilities in other areas, and doesn't want to spend $3,300 - Canon is not for you.

On another note, I was right. It was going to be either or. It was going to be either AF or cards/fps. Canon is much smarter than their loyalists, apologists and fanatics on this forum who deny the importance of dual card slot. Canon is willing to offer a 45pt AF in a FF which is decent...knowing this is far less likely to eat into 5D4 sales than dual card slot.

There cannot be any more proof than that. Canon is very careful about what they omit for these purposes. Dual slot means some people skip the 5D4, others go to other brands. Canon is betting people cough up the extra $1,300 and stay with Canon. I advise people to not reward a company for these kinds of tactics. Nikon is better choice for most people. The results are the same anyway. Anyone of lower budget or new to FF should avoid Canon like the plague. Once "invested" in glass - you will have to pay big premium for under-specced bodies for years and years.

And the announced price of the D760 will be?

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England

neuroanatomist said:
I think it's axiomatic that not everyone stating an axiom will automatically state every assumption underlying that axiom.

Cute and glib, but it doesn't change the fact that your comment was a lazy, facile sweeping statement that is demonstrably wrong on its face.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer

K was literally on the way to a heart attack in the last thread.

I find it amazing how emotionally involved people get. Its a camera... meant for entry to the world of FF.

The fact entry level bodies are this advanced is incredible remember when the 300/350D was the only affordable way into dslr photography. That was only 10-12 years ago...

People complain about the smallest things, that in the long term have minimal impact. Please do go over to Nikon so we dont have to listen to the BS.

Either way the majority of professionals will take the higher end weatherproof bodies. Only the beginner 'pro' wedding photographers use D750 and 6Ds because the original outset cost of lenses and bodies for the wedding game is expensive. The majority use D810s and 5D series specifically because they can take more of a beating and like I said above the price difference for working pros is not a concern because it is recouped in a couple of jobs.

In my experience the build and weather sealing has saved my skin on many occasions because I was confident the camera could continue in poor weather conditions. My area is the Lake district in Cumbria which is the wettest place in England and rains most of the year. Not just weddings ive shot 8-10 hours through yellow weather warnings with 5Ds shooting motorsport and had no problem at all.

There is a reason there are different tiers for different needs.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Keith_Reeder said:
neuroanatomist said:

Cute and glib, but it doesn't change the fact that your comment was a lazy, facile sweeping statement that is demonstrably wrong on its face.

Oh, ok then.

Keith_Reeder said:
Let's say instead that at any given state of the art, and assuming all other things technological being equal, FF will out-IQ crop: but new crop sensors unquestionably monster old FF sensors in IQ terms.

The 5D from 2005 has less ISO noise than the 80D, a crop sensor that's 11 years and a whole bunch of generations newer. So, it seems that your statement is also a lazy, facile sweeping statement that is demonstrably wrong on its face.

Upvote 0