Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Re: Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

BillB said:
I think it is likely different groups of people. The people who want a Full Frame 80d could be people looking to move up from a crop camera, a 6D or a 5DII. Basically, these people seem to have gotten their wish. Another group of people were hoping for an inexpensive path to 4K video, and they are not happy. Then there are those who want a second card slot, just like the Nikon D750. If Nikon does it, so should Canon.

Different people, yes. However, there was no reason to think that a stills-oriented DSLR would be the ideal inexpensive path to 4k video. As for "if Nikon does it, so should Canon", that is horrible logic. Horrible.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town

Don Haines said:
rrcphoto said:
PBguy said:
I have to laugh at all the complaining going on about the lack of 4K video considering we actually don't know whether it'll be included or not. Have people forgotten that it's just rumored to not have 4K?

We don't even know for sure when it'll actually be announced.

honestly it would not surprise me if it's not. canon doesn't really have DIGIC ready yet for 4K. they are simply way behind the times with this, and no matter how much thumb sucking happens over the lack of 4K it isn't going to change much.

it's still going to sell like hotcakes, and the few that need video will STFU and finally find something that works for them. or they will remain here, sniffling and blaming their lack of youtube likes on canon technology.

My suspicion is that the Digic architecture can not handle 4K.... The 1DX2 and 5D4 have dual digic, which obviously can, but it there a single example of 4K running on a single digic?
The XC10 does UHD 30p with a single digic processor which is branded as "DiG!C DV5"
(The Part number is Canon DH4-2665)

This is the same processor used in the 5D-IV as seen in the intro video:
https://youtu.be/8Z9089048wk?t=38s
However, in the 5D-IV it is branded as "DiG!C 6+"

Attached are images from the Lensrentals teardown of the 5D-IV PCB...

Attachments

• 5D-IV PCB back LR teardown.jpg
    5D-IV PCB back LR teardown.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 5D-IV PCB back rotated.jpg
    5D-IV PCB back rotated.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 854
Upvote 0

Orangutan said:
intrigue.photography said:
LonelyBoy said:
Whelp... Looks like I made the right decision in going with the Nikon D750 (with lens for the same price as this body). One card slot on a $2k camera is a deal killer for me. :eek:

I was really hoping they wouldn't do this so I could keep using my Canon lenses on a rig with DPAF and a tilty screen.

You might be the only person around here who actually bought one of those instead of just complaining that Canon doesn't make one. Good job! In all sincerity. :)

If Canon was hoping to force people to by a 5D4 by limiting features... I hope they read this because, well, it forced me to by a Nikon. My 6D is now collecting dust, and my 7D2 is my new emergency backup for weddings.

And yes, I've written Canon and left reviews on their site. So, they do know how I feel.

Excellent! I'm glad you found gear that fits your need, and simultaneously put pressure on Canon. It's good for you, and good for Canon shooters.

+1

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

BillB said:
Another piece of the puzzle is what the DIGIC 7 processing capacity is being used for in the 6DII. People wanted wiz bang AF performance, and they got it, more or less, but that is going to require processing capacity.

Actually, its more likely sensor and cooling related. The 6D being a entry level body is not getting the cooling treatment, and the sensor may also save manufacturing dollars if it does not have to read large amounts of data quickly and overheat.

I think the Digic Processor can handle 4K just fine, but again, it will generate heat.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Famateur said:
Orangutan said:
LonelyBoy said:
Whelp... Looks like I made the right decision in going with the Nikon D750 (with lens for the same price as this body). One card slot on a $2k camera is a deal killer for me. :eek:

I was really hoping they wouldn't do this so I could keep using my Canon lenses on a rig with DPAF and a tilty screen.

You might be the only person around here who actually bought one of those instead of just complaining that Canon doesn't make one. Good job! In all sincerity. :)

If Canon was hoping to force people to by a 5D4 by limiting features... I hope they read this because, well, it forced me to by a Nikon. My 6D is now collecting dust, and my 7D2 is my new emergency backup for weddings.

And yes, I've written Canon and left reviews on their site. So, they do know how I feel.

Excellent! I'm glad you found gear that fits your need, and simultaneously put pressure on Canon. It's good for you, and good for Canon shooters.

+1

I can't believe anybody made a system purchasing decision based on the number of card slots a model has. Af, ergonomics, lens selections etc etc I can understand, but two card slots over one? That is a rediculous defining differentiator. It smells of 'I want to be a pro and 'pro' cameras have two card slots so I can only buy a camera tha has those two card slots.' Marketing gone mad, or effective depending on your viewpoint.

How good are those two Nikon card slots when you are shooting tethered?

Upvote 0

Don Haines said:
tron said:
Don Haines said:
rrcphoto said:
PBguy said:
I have to laugh at all the complaining going on about the lack of 4K video considering we actually don't know whether it'll be included or not. Have people forgotten that it's just rumored to not have 4K?

honestly it would not surprise me if it's not. canon doesn't really have DIGIC ready yet for 4K. they are simply way behind the times with this, and no matter how much thumb sucking happens over the lack of 4K it isn't going to change much.

it's still going to sell like hotcakes, and the few that need video will STFU and finally find something that works for them. or they will remain here, sniffling and blaming their lack of youtube likes on canon technology.

My suspicion is that the Digic architecture can not handle 4K.... The 1DX2 and 5D4 have dual digic, which obviously can, but it there a single example of 4K running on a single digic?
5D4 does NOT have dual digic. Read the specs:

http://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-5d-mark-iv/specifications/
My mistake!
Obviously, there IS an example of a single Digic camera that does 4K...... That answers that question!

So if a single Digic6+ can handle it on a 30Mp sensor, it stands to reason that a faster Digic7 processor would be able to handle 4K on a smaller Mp count sensor....

Which, of course, begs the question- why no 4K on the 6DII. Answer: Canon protecting the 5DIV (which, honestly, doesn't have 4K video that is good enough to protect) and the 1DXII (which doesn't have C-Log).

Upvote 0

rrcphoto said:
PBguy said:

So why didn't Canon (assuming this is all true) include the MJPEG 4K mode on this camera? If it indeed runs on a single Digic on the 5DIV...

I find it funny that some photography folks on this site are so threatened by a demanding and vocal video crowd that they themselves can't STFU about it. It's not just about photos anymore and Canon themselves started that trend with the 5DII- that's why the video folks are so vocal. So get over it and/or take your own advice.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
I can't believe anybody made a system purchasing decision based on the number of card slots a model has. Af, ergonomics, lens selections etc etc I can understand, but two card slots over one? That is a rediculous defining differentiator. It smells of 'I want to be a pro and 'pro' cameras have two card slots so I can only buy a camera tha has those two card slots.' Marketing gone mad, or effective depending on your viewpoint.

How good are those two Nikon card slots when you are shooting tethered?

Agreed. It makes no sense to me that that one feature is enough to drive someone not just to another body but to another brand entirely -- and over an entry-level product. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I do respect those who make their choice and move on. The ones that just moan and threaten to switch and predict doom for Canon, not so much.

In the end, if so many people jump ship over it (and I doubt that will happen), it will still end up benefiting Canon shooters because Canon's market research will reflect it, and Canon will respond.

In the meantime, we have a pretty darn good system and lens selection with which to be shooting great photographs and improving our skills...even with one card slot! :p

Upvote 0

transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
PBguy said:

So why didn't Canon (assuming this is all true) include the MJPEG 4K mode on this camera? If it indeed runs on a single Digic on the 5DIV...

I find it funny that some photography folks on this site are so threatened by a demanding and vocal video crowd that they themselves can't STFU about it. It's not just about photos anymore and Canon themselves started that trend with the 5DII- that's why the video folks are so vocal. So get over it and/or take your own advice.

I find it funny that the "video crowd" haven't understood that the 6DII is intended by Canon (whether you like it or not) to be an entry-level full-frame stills camera...for the photography folks. :p

Think about it: It has 1080P video capability, so it's fine for the stills shooter to click over to video and capture family moments or other events. What true "professional" would choose an entry-level stills camera for their high-production-value work? Not one I'd hire. And if another brand did offer it in a cheap body, why would they waste time complaining about it and not just go buy what exists in the marketplace that meets their needs? Just buy it, write off the expense and get back to making films.

Or, if you're really a professional, why don't you have some purpose-built video cams? Even if you had 4K in a cheap 6DII, if you're really doing serious work, you'll have spent several thousand more on the rig you're connecting it up to for stabilization, sound capture, external screen and focus pulling. At that point, why not spend the $1,300 more for a Canon body (or some other brand) that does have 4K?

I just find it hard to believe that there are all these video professionals whose careers are teetering on whether or not an entry-level stills camera has the feature that's holding them back from videographic greatness.

I really think it's just a matter of tight-budget or beginner-pros dreaming of producing high-production value content on a shoestring budget and getting grumpy when Canon doesn't put out.

I could be wrong, though. :p

PS: For photographers, it really is just about photos.

PPS: I get that Canon started it with the 5DII. Yep. 5DII. Which was succeeded by the 5DIII. Which was succeeded by the 5DIV. Which does 4K and CLog. 8) Is it just me, or is there a theme here?

Upvote 0

Just an observation about "specs" and selection of feature set for a product within a defined tier...

Features are not just weights on a balance scale where marketers arbitrarily pick and choose which are included and which are excluded. It's not like they see 4K on the "Include" side of the scale, run some numbers, look at some market research graphs, and than say, "Hmm...no," and then move it to the "Exclude" side of the scale.

Some features are of a "now we can do it, so why not include it" nature. Like including internal time-lapse.

Some features come with a bevy of other technical requirements to support their function. Like 4K.

It's quite possible that including 4K means adding another (or different) processor, heat sinks (or other cooling solution), faster circuitry for data throughput, better buffer memory, card slots to accommodate the speed, and so on.

Yes, Canon could include all those things in order to put 4K on the "Include" side of the scale, but by then it would be so far out of the scope of what this camera is intended to be, that it would be a different product positioned in a different tier. Then a few videographers would be happy, and Canon would say, "Right...now what are we going to do for an entry-level stills camera?" :p

It's just not as simple as shuffling around specs and features. I'm beginning to wonder if we're so spoiled by mind-bogglingly incredible technology constantly at our fingertips that we forget that there's actual, physical engineering at play. Some on this forum get it. So many, it seems, still don't...

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England

dak723 said:
Yes, they do. No argument there.

Argument here, though.

Let's say instead that at any given state of the art, and assuming all other things technological being equal, FF will out-IQ crop: but new crop sensors unquestionably monster old FF sensors in IQ terms.

It is not axiomatic that any FF sensor will beat any crop sensor. Not even close to true.

Upvote 0

Famateur said:
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
PBguy said:

I find it funny that the "video crowd" haven't understood that the 6DII is intended by Canon (whether you like it or not) to be an entry-level full-frame stills camera...for the photography folks. :p

Think about it: It has 1080P video capability, so it's fine for the stills shooter to click over to video and capture family moments or other events. What true "professional" would choose an entry-level stills camera for their high-production-value work? Not one I'd hire. And if another brand did offer it in a cheap body, why would they waste time complaining about it and not just go buy what exists in the marketplace that meets their needs? Just buy it, write off the expense and get back to making films.

Or, if you're really a professional, why don't you have some purpose-built video cams? Even if you had 4K in a cheap 6DII, if you're really doing serious work, you'll have spent several thousand more on the rig you're connecting it up to for stabilization, sound capture, external screen and focus pulling. At that point, why not spend the $1,300 more for a Canon body (or some other brand) that does have 4K?

I just find it hard to believe that there are all these video professionals whose careers are teetering on whether or not an entry-level stills camera has the feature that's holding them back from videographic greatness.

I really think it's just a matter of tight-budget or beginner-pros dreaming of producing high-production value content on a shoestring budget and getting grumpy when Canon doesn't put out.

I could be wrong, though. :p

PS: For photographers, it really is just about photos.

PPS: I get that Canon started it with the 5DII. Yep. 5DII. Which was succeeded by the 5DIII. Which was succeeded by the 5DIV. Which does 4K and CLog. 8) Is it just me, or is there a theme here?

Here's another way to look at it: for videographers who like to take photos, it really is just about videos and photos. Mind-bending, I know.

The 5DII video was a home run because it was full frame- not the crippled stuff on the 5DIV. Most pros have already moved on to other systems for hybrid- Sony, RED, Panasonic. At the office, when we need to shoot, we grab an FS7 with a speedbooster. I still love the 5D for photos. But when I go on a lightweight video shoot where I also want to shoot stills, I now I have to carry two cameras with me, one for photos, one for 4K video. Pretty soon it will just be one, and because of lacking video features, it just can't be a Canon right now. Shame.

I can understand photogs who can settle for 1080p are the core market, but still not the best situation for Canon, a premiere imaging company who likes to "see impossible." It is, ironically, an image problem. ;)

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England

Frederik_Bo said:
What I dont get about omitting 4K is that they are putting a tilty-flippy screen on this thing. A tilty-flippy screen is in my opinion, a very video centric feature.

It will have video. It might not have 4k.

Upvote 0

Famateur said:
Just an observation about "specs" and selection of feature set for a product within a defined tier...

Features are not just weights on a balance scale where marketers arbitrarily pick and choose which are included and which are excluded. It's not like they see 4K on the "Include" side of the scale, run some numbers, look at some market research graphs, and than say, "Hmm...no," and then move it to the "Exclude" side of the scale.

Some features are of a "now we can do it, so why not include it" nature. Like including internal time-lapse.

Some features come with a bevy of other technical requirements to support their function. Like 4K.

It's quite possible that including 4K means adding another (or different) processor, heat sinks (or other cooling solution), faster circuitry for data throughput, better buffer memory, card slots to accommodate the speed, and so on.

Yes, Canon could include all those things in order to put 4K on the "Include" side of the scale, but by then it would be so far out of the scope of what this camera is intended to be, that it would be a different product positioned in a different tier. Then a few videographers would be happy, and Canon would say, "Right...now what are we going to do for an entry-level stills camera?" :p

It's just not as simple as shuffling around specs and features. I'm beginning to wonder if we're so spoiled by mind-bogglingly incredible technology constantly at our fingertips that we forget that there's actual, physical engineering at play. Some on this forum get it. So many, it seems, still don't...

And it's entirely possible that they just could not do it without increasing the cost of the camera significantly. But judging by past tendencies...it seems more likely to me that they just didn't want to.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015

Here is a non 4K question. How will the DIGIC 7 improve JPEG IQ compared to the 6 PLUS in the 5D IV ? Is it possible that the 6DII well out IQ the 5DIV like the original did? How likely? Also could fps get a nice boost from the DIGIC 7? I'm not knowledgeable about this so any answers are appreciated.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

transpo1 said:
Which, of course, begs the question- why no 4K on the 6DII. Answer: Canon protecting the 5DIV (which, honestly, doesn't have 4K video that is good enough to protect) and the 1DXII (which doesn't have C-Log).

I know - I think you've told us at least twice

Upvote 0