Report: The next EOS R camera is reported to be undergoing field testing [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A new report on the series of tubes says that the next EOS R system camera has begun field testing with select Canon photographers. The same report also mentions what we’ve been mentioning for a long while now, that the next EOS R camera will be the high-resolution model with more professional features and somewhat a replacement for the EOS 5DS line of cameras.
Here’s a summary of what we’ve previously heard about high-resolution EOS R camera:

A big bump in resolution over the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R to 70+ mp. However, there could also be multiple sensor configurations being used for testing.
The joystick makes its first appearance on an EOS R body in place of the touch bar.
Dual card slots, one being SD, the other is unknown at this time.
Will be announced no later than Q1 of 2020.

The report also claims that this EOS R camera will have something to do with the 2020 Olympics, but we think that’s highly unlikely. A high-resolution model may...

Continue reading...

Most probably it is just another camera to buy Canon a bit more of a time to come with some real sensor technology changes. First, 5DIV like sensor, second, 6DII like sensor, next - high res sensor. Would be suprprised, if it would be all new generation of sensors accompained with IBIS, etc.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Most probably it is just another camera to buy Canon a bit more of a time to come with some real sensor technology changes.
Canon dominates the ILC market, and has for 16 years and counting. They've had ~50% market share for the past decade, and have that today. Please remind us all why they need to deliver 'some real sensor technology changes'. Note: "Because I wants it, Precious," is not a reason.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Canon dominates the ILC market, and has for 16 years and counting. They've had ~50% market share for the past decade, and have that today. Please remind us all why they need to deliver 'some real sensor technology changes'. Note: "Because I wants it, Precious," is not a reason.

To stay competitive and remain first in class with imaging technology. Remember, their tagline is "See Impossible." That slogan doesn't work if they don't advance their tech. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
We may be near the point where significant sensor technology changes are unlikely.

It is getting more difficult and expensive to gain a tiny improvement. There are other technologies in development, but who knows if or when they will become practical. Layered sensors can reduce noise and decrease read times, but are difficult to build, and the cost jumps up.

Canon calculates to produce the best tech that meets a target cost. That is why no one picks a price war with them, they can produce cameras with a very profitable margin. I do think that the RP is a exception, they have less profit and are trying to buy market share. Sales of lenses and accessories may make up for the tighter margin on the body.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
To stay competitive and remain first in class with imaging technology. Remember, their tagline is "See Impossible." That slogan doesn't work if they don't advance their tech. ;)
The market data have shown they don't need 'better' sensors as defined by DxOMark and certain forum dwellers aka DRones. Which manufacturer has the highest megapixel count in a 'mainstream' ILC (i.e. not MF sensors)? Which manufacturers offer DPAF? Oh, wait...by 'advancing their tech', you mean 'advancing it in the way that I personally think they should do.' Hubris?

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
The market data have shown they don't need 'better' sensors as defined by DxOMark and certain forum dwellers aka DRones. Which manufacturer has the highest megapixel count in a 'mainstream' ILC (i.e. not MF sensors)? Which manufacturers offer DPAF? Oh, wait...by 'advancing their tech', you mean 'advancing it in the way that I personally think they should do.' Hubris?

I meant advancing it so they can manage to get FF 4K video and higher frame rates out of it- something some of their competitors have managed to do. Call me crazy, but selling people on hobbled 4K in their cameras just doesn't seem like a long-term strategy for a company with the tagline "See Impossible."

By the way, DxOMark is run by people, DRones is a person, and even you, I'm assuming, are a person- so we are all just personally expressing our views here. So, yes, me personally and all the other folks who want better FF video performance from Canon- of which there are considerable number. ;)

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Id like to see something a bit lower, perhaps in the mid to high 50’s. But pixel quality would have to be boosted. They can do that. Their current 51MP sensor is better than the much lower Rez one from the 5Dmk III, but worse than the lower Rez version from the 5Dmk IV, which was newer. That’s now fairly old. With no breakthroughs, I could see that 5Dmk IV pixel quality, or a bit more, in a high 50’s MP sensor.

Other than for the thrill of it, do we really need to go to 70 now? I don’t think so.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I meant advancing it so they can manage to get FF 4K video and higher frame rates out of it- something some of their competitors have managed to do. Call me crazy, but selling people on hobbled 4K in their cameras just doesn't seem like a long-term strategy for a company with the tagline "See Impossible."

By the way, DxOMark is run by people, DRones is a person, and even you, I'm assuming, are a person- so we are all just personally expressing our views here. So, yes, me personally and all the other folks who want better FF video performance from Canon- of which there are considerable number. ;)
Thanks for confirming my statement that you define advancement based solely on your personal wants.

Opinion ≠ data. Data = data. People who believe their opinions represent facts deserve to be called crazy.

If the folks who have clamored for more DR or better FF video performance have eschewed Canon, and if those groups comprised a 'considerable number' of people, Canon's market share would have suffered. It hasn't. So either all the DRones and discerning FF ILC videographers are just spouting off here but buying Canon cameras anyway...or what you believe to be a 'considerable number' is, in reality, irrelevant. My money is firmly on the latter. But you go right on inflating the importance of your own opinion...reality hasn't changed it so far.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think the majority would agree with you, many would like a 5DIV equiv. All the things the 5D has (that the EOS R is missing) and all the new stuff the EOS R brought (EVF, edge to edge auto focus etc). If they had done that and a small bump in MP, that would have been an amazing all around pro camera. But they obviously don't want any overlap to kill the sales on existing dslr cameras which is a super frustrating strategy for existing Canon users.
Precisely what 5D things do you want?

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Most probably it is just another camera to buy Canon a bit more of a time to come with some real sensor technology changes. First, 5DIV like sensor, second, 6DII like sensor, next - high res sensor. Would be suprprised, if it would be all new generation of sensors accompained with IBIS, etc.

I was going to make a "Canon sensor old" post as a joke, given that a 75mp DPAF sensor would clearly be new, only to find that someone else beat me to it with a serious post of this ignorant meme.

You know...I'm done arguing the facts. I'm just going to start resorting to rhetoric...

When is Sony going to stop reusing their old 24mp and 42mp sensors and give us something new? This is why Canon dominates sales! I want a serious stills camera, not a hobbyist video camera with broken 100 Mbps 4k. Canon is going to put their DPAF technology in this camera and if it has DP RAWs I can get an extra stop of highlight detail for a film like look while Sony user's blow their highlights all over the place. That's it: if Canon gives us a new mirrorless sensor while Sony keeps giving us their old sensors I'm switching to Canon.

You know, this might be fun. :LOL:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
=
I doubt Canon has figured a way to make a 70+MP with DPAF and 1D X performance so what professional is this for?

Landscape, architecture, fashion, product photography.

Ok sure they finally put the dual card slots but do wedding photogs want 70MP shots (let alone low light performance)?

Low light will be as good as anything else out there. The lower resolution = better low light performance is a myth for stills (though not for video). At 70mp this thing would probably have a 35-40mp MRAW mode so a wedding photographer could shoot 70mp still and posed shots and 35mp for everything else to manage file sizes.

Wildlife shooters would like that res for cropping but if it's no better performance than the EOS R then that's a bust.

A good friend of mine specializes in wildlife photography and has great work. He's never much cared for fps and once told me 4-5 fps is all you really need. I'm not going to completely discount higher frame rates for wildlife and sports, but I also can't find any issue with his work, so....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0