Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Since the R and RP are reasonably priced bodies, perhaps the need for a 7D3 is outweighed by an R series style 1DX version. Dual processors, dual cards, better weather sealing and high fps with a reasonable Mp count for better noise control than the 7D series ever had. Lying somewhere between the 5D price and the 1DX2. Then the 90D will creep closer to 7D2 specs yet with a few modern spec bumps. Add the high rez R and you have a great family.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Since the R and RP are reasonably priced bodies, perhaps the need for a 7D3 is outweighed by an R series style 1DX version. Dual processors, dual cards, better weather sealing and high fps with a reasonable Mp count for better noise control than the 7D series ever had. Lying somewhere between the 5D price and the 1DX2. Then the 90D will creep closer to 7D2 specs yet with a few modern spec bumps. Add the high rez R and you have a great family.
I don't think so. The 7D has traditionally been priced well below the 5D and much closer to the 6D. An R that is priced between the 5D and the 1Dx would make it at least twice the cost of a 7D. That's not a price point that will appeal to 7D users. Plus, unless it has fairly high resolution, it won't fill the niche that a 7D does, which is largely driven by the perceived reach advantages of the 1.6 crop factor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...I have a feeling many 7d2 users have moved onto Sony instead of waiting for Canon to upgrade their 7d2 or moved to a higher end full frame canon that tracks well...

Sounds like your "feeling" radar is broken. Go to any popular birding spot and count the number of Sony bodies you see there.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Just pure speculation here for the sake of the conversation: I wonder how much Canon could do with a firmware upgrade. It's not unprecedented after all with the 7D series.

A new and significantly enhanced 90D body, coupled with a reasonably-priced option for a major 7DII firmware upgrade that adds multiple f8 focus points, some autofocus enhancements and maybe a few other tweaks, might take the sting out of ending the line for many users.

Despite some forum experts opinions, the objective facts show that the 7D II sensor still competes very well with newer sensors above base ISO (Which is not where most 7D users live anyway.)

While I would like a newer sensor and few more megapixels and wouldn't mind a touchscreen, if I could get multiple f8 focus points on the 7DII, I'd be pretty content. Release the mythical 150-500 f5.6 zoom alongside the upgrade and I'd be giving Canon more of my money. (Okay, they are going to get more of my money anyway, but that's because I have business needs that don't necessarily align with my personal desire for a 7DIII).

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I don't think so. The 7D has traditionally been priced well below the 5D and much closer to the 6D. An R that is priced between the 5D and the 1Dx would make it at least twice the cost of a 7D. That's not a price point that will appeal to 7D users. Plus, unless it has fairly high resolution, it won't fill the niche that a 7D does, which is largely driven by the perceived reach advantages of the 1.6 crop factor.
If it's end of the road for the 7D line, we can throw out all logical assumptions based upon past price points and features, your post is based upon those. I think Canon will position a fast sports/birding body in a new slot, below the 1DX and in the R line but at what tier is anyone's guess. Crop may possibly be limited to the XXD at it's highest point from now on.

Upvote 0
coupled with a reasonably-priced option for a major 7DII firmware upgrade that adds multiple f8 focus points

A new firmware upgrade can't add f8 focus points - there are physical limitations to the design of a focus sensor that means there must be a compromise and firmware upgrades can't grow new hardware.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
A new firmware upgrade can't add f8 focus points - there are physical limitations to the design of a focus sensor that means there must be a compromise and firmware upgrades can't grow new hardware.
Got it. Oh well...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If it's end of the road for the 7D line, we can throw out all logical assumptions based upon past price points and features, your post is based upon those. I think Canon will position a fast sports/birding body in a new slot, below the 1DX and in the R line but at what tier is anyone's guess. Crop may possibly be limited to the XXD at it's highest point from now on.
I see your point. I read your post as implying that a new sports/birding R body would fill the market niche of the 7D. It can't hit that price point, but it could certainly hit the use needs/wants of that niche. I admit, I'm having a bit of a hard time letting go of the 7D series. But, I'm not privy to Canon's market research and they may have determined that the customers they will lose by dumping the 7D line will be offset by the gains they will make offering a upscaled 80D at a price point below that of the 7D.

Canon also likes to make their customers stretch, so maybe they've found that an R that has many of the features of the 1D, but comes in closer to the price of the 5D will be a winner.

With only two R models released to date, it's dangerous to see a pattern, but so far Canon seems to NOT be slotting the R models in as exact mirrors of their DSLRs, but rather as models in their own unique slots.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just pure speculation here for the sake of the conversation: I wonder how much Canon could do with a firmware upgrade. It's not unprecedented after all with the 7D series.

A new and significantly enhanced 90D body, coupled with a reasonably-priced option for a major 7DII firmware upgrade that adds multiple f8 focus points, some autofocus enhancements and maybe a few other tweaks, might take the sting out of ending the line for many users.

Despite some forum experts opinions, the objective facts show that the 7D II sensor still competes very well with newer sensors above base ISO (Which is not where most 7D users live anyway.)

While I would like a newer sensor and few more megapixels and wouldn't mind a touchscreen, if I could get multiple f8 focus points on the 7DII, I'd be pretty content. Release the mythical 150-500 f5.6 zoom alongside the upgrade and I'd be giving Canon more of my money. (Okay, they are going to get more of my money anyway, but that's because I have business needs that don't necessarily align with my personal desire for a 7DIII).
Objective facts are that the resolution of the sensor is well behind the best opposition - see https://www.optyczne.pl/293.4-Test_aparatu-Canon_EOS_7D_Mark_II_Rozdzielczość.html for quantitative measurements - it was behind the opposition when it was introduced 5 years ago. That doesn't mean you can't get sharp images from it, you certainly can, but you have to get more pixels on the image to equal the resolution of the better sensors.

Upvote 0
If you can afford to get into the A9 or D850, why not do it? The chances of any Canon model, especially a 7D replacement, beating them in the near future are miniscule. The D850 is the best DSLR ever made. And the A9 is incredibly capable, and will likely continue to receive AI AF updates for years. Sony glass is excellent, if you can afford it.
I can barely afford it. Thus the trepidation. News/Editorial staff have been cut and freelancing takes a while to build up to. I like the Canon glass lineup and the performance/value ratio, just not their bodies (love the UI though, muscle memory at it's best). I also don't want to use their adapter on R bodies and would rather use a native lens. I've concurrently used the 5dmk4 at various events but for outdoor sports, which I'm covering more of, I reach for the 7dmkII.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Are we approaching a point where consumers no longer put much faith in the "perceived reach advantages of the 1.6 crop factor," thanks to education and experience?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have a feeling many 7d2 users have moved onto Sony instead of waiting for Canon to upgrade their 7d2 or moved to a higher end full frame canon that tracks well. Those still using their 7d2 are not a large market no matter what some say about them buying new glass.
The great thing is that you can have whatever feelings you want. For example, there are some people that feel the earth is flat.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The great thing is that you can have whatever feelings you want. For example, there are some people that feel the earth is flat.
I think I'd be more likely to believe the earth is flat than "...many 7d2 users have moved onto Sony instead of waiting for Canon to upgrade their 7d2..."

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sorry, but the facts contradict your statement:
Canon has released a firmware update for the EOS-1DX Digital SLR Camera. Affected Product EOS-1DX Digital SLR Camera Details Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following improvements and fixes. 1. Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8 (f/5.6 without the firmware update).
While it's true that firmware updates can't add hardware, there is not necessarily a hardware change needed to support f/8 AF with an f/5.6 AF point. Going the other way, i.e. increasing the baseline of the AF point ('adding an f/2.8 AF point') is not possible. But AF with a narrower max aperture is really dependent on the sampling density of the AF point, which is typically higher than it needs to be for a given AF point threshold.

Consider that for many the years f/8 AF was a feature restricted to the 1-series (and thus out of reach for most), people would put a piece of tape over a specific three contact pins on the lens-side of a 1.4x TC to allow autofocus with an f/5.6 lens (400/5.6, 100-400) – and it worked, albeit slowly and with greater propensity to hunt for focus.

In the case of the 1D X firmware update, I suspect Canon tweaked the AF algorithms then determined that performance with the center AF point at f/8 was acceptable, and released the update (in large part because users of previous 1-series bodies that 'officially' supported f/8 AF were a bit ticked off that the new FF 10 fps beast did not).

</history lesson>

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If not Sony, how about Nikon?
Maybe. I'd like to see something other than "I was at X and four out of five people have switched to the D500." Given Nikon's rather anemic sales overall, I'm skeptical of such claims.

Upvote 0