Round-up: All of the rumored Canon gear to appear over the last week

People don't understand frame grabs. You still have to shoot at a shutter speed appropriate for stopping action, which is not the same shutter speed as you would use for video. Shooting at 1/60 sec (normal video) or even at 1/250 sec (for slo-mo) is only going to get you thousands of blurred images. You can shoot at 1/1000 second, but then the video will look like crap. The key to smooth video is to blur the action from one frame to the next, hardly conducive to frame grabs.
Thank you. Drives me nuts seeing the "just pull a frame" comments all the time. 2 completely different things.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
With a 2x crop, I'd gladly whack a sigma 18-35 on there which would mean I'm getting 4k 120p with a 36-70mm with creamy bokeh. I don't see the problem here :cool:
Yep, how often are you shooting 15mm full-frame slow-motion? And NEED it to be wider than say, the 22mm you could get with a Canon EF 11-24mm attached? A lot more slow-mo work is done at 50+mm anyway

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
As a professional landscape photographer I've been waiting for over 2 years through hundreds of rumours of the upcoming Canon High Megapixel Camera:
CANON-RS
touted to be 75 to 100 Megapixels

This would be a huge benefit for me as I print 40x60 inches and larger

If Canon doesn't announce a high megapixel camera body in February 2020 I will be reluctantly jumping ship to Sony and buying the A7r4 or the rumoured Nikon D900 (with the Sony 64 Megapixel Sensor) or even possibly the upcoming 100 megapixel Fuji GFX Lite Body

I would much rather stick with Canon

I love their hardware and have been a Canon Aficionado since 1980 when I got my Canon A1 film camera.

The new RF lenses look simply amazing and will only continue to expand their offerings

I think Sony can be consistently relied upon to upgrade their camera bodies every 24 months and they have more resources in their sensor fabrication and electronics to stay on the cutting edge

I don't give a Rat's Ass about video although and 8K time lapse function would be great.
A 45 megapixel catch-all generalist body is not what I'm looking for.

However painful selling off my Canon 5D4 / 5DSr and 6 L series lenses is : I am almost ready.

PLEASE Canon if you're listening give the studio and landscape photographers a reason to stay.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I see many people comment that 4k is hardly better than 1080p. I think that 99% of tests are invalid and that the true comparisons are yet to come.
Most of those comparisons are comparing footage that was shot at 4k (or lower resolutions that were upsampled to 4k), and then comparing it to 1080p footage that was downsampled from 4k.
A proper test would be to shoot at 8k, then downsample to 4K so that you have super sharp 4K image. Then compare this to 1080p downsampled from 8k or 4k.

Any comparisons with youtube/netflix etc are not valid, since the quality gets destroyed in compression.

A lot of big budget hollywood movies are shot on the 2.6K Arri Alexa cameras.
Even when movies get shot at 4k or higher resolution, they usually end up making a 2K digital intermediate master. They then use this 2K master to make the '4k' blurays.
Even if a movie was shot at 8k, downsampled and mastered in 4K, and released to 4K bluray, it will still be only 4:2:0 and not fully using 4K screens to their potential.

What I am saying is that, super sharp 4K footage seems to be incredibly hard to find.... and that only with the release of 8K cameras will 4K screens be able to really fully show their potential - and that right there is another use for 8k, besides the already mentioned extra room to crop for composition or for warp stabilization etc.

Testing the screens with high resolution still images or video games might be a better way to judge the screens if we dont have the high quality footage.

Optical media and especially streaming/broadcasting cannot keep up with increases in screen technology

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon can either read and process the data off a 45mp chip at 30fps or they can't. As others have pointed out, these sorts of frame rates can be handled via mobile-class processors. If Canon can read the chip that fast, then there's no reason you can't internally record those frame rates. There's also no need for a crop at 20fps—the rumor seems pretty clear about the differentiator being the mechanical vs electronic shutter (something it seems like people are still really confused about!)

Historically, Canon started the whole video thing with the 5D2, and they also had the best sensors for the first years of the digital revolution. I agree that they've been a solid 2+ years behind on their bodies in some key areas (DR, readout speed) but getting "better chips" from a company that has a core business around "designing and producing chips" is not a "dramatic transformation" of their business.
Aren't mobile-class processors handling frame rates from teeny tiny sensors?

Upvote 0
With an F2 zoom, I also feel no need to get any primes on that focal length range.

I used to use the Sigma 24-35 f/2 on my EF bodies, and it was both so sharp a lens and so fast a lens that I never felt the need for the f/1.4 primes. In fact, my Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art was sold because it wasn't quite as good as the zoom at 24mm.

So I can confirm from experience that once a zoom gets to f/2, and it's as sharp as a prime, it's a preferable lens, at least for me. With a 28-70 focal range, I'd love to use that RF lens. Hoping against rational hope that the rumors are true, so a worthy* body is coming along.

-tig

*Worthy for me = >30 megapixels and >7 fps with full continuous autofocus. If *only* the megapixel and frame rates are true in this R5 rumor, I'd be a happy buyer of 2 of them.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Though Sony does it with converters half the size - so right now they are actually probably the best (putting aside all the usual Sony quality control and build quality questions). Indeed actually if you take size into consideration, Sony has the best teleconverters bar none. If you haven't held them in your hand do so if you get a chance, you'll be shocked - their 1.4x feels not much bigger than lens cap when on the camera. It makes them nice to handle too, avoiding putting the centre of gravity even further forward with long lenses.

See how the Sony 2x is comparable in size to the canon 1.4x. I really think Canon will bring out some amazing RF teleconverters. It does appear to be an area, like wide angle lenses, where mirrorless designs pay dividends.

Size?
Sony lenses are monsters and weigh more than the Canon ones.
The TCs are "Smaller" due to no need for mirror clearance. Not how far the back sticks out un protected.
Additionally the Sony mount is microscopic compared to Canon EF and RF (Nikon Z as well) it is even smaller than the M mount which is tiny. That is why Canon RF lenses are so incredible compared to Sony.
Let us see what happens with RF TCs.

Upvote 0
I actually think you agree
1.Canon didn’t respond with updates like ibis and mirrorless in a timely fashion and gave Sony life. if the reason was that their fav was delayed then so be it. The reason isn’t important to me as a customer.
2. I agree that canon should have done rf sooner but I assure you they wouldn’t have done it without Sony blazing a trail. Ford wouldn’t have created the mustang E if it wasn’t for Tesla. Mirrorless itself, Ibis, better DR, eye Af and Af tracking ala mirrorless and smaller bodies all feel like reactionary changes from canon.
3. I don’t think I said that canon panicked. They don’t have to panic because they have a core group of photographers that have canon lenses and will only switch as a last resort. But they didn’t lead on several features and had to react. My verbiage is that the R was rushed. At launch it was unimpressive and the firmware updates were its true destiny. Canon needs to release the R at that time even though it was half baked without the latest firmware. Canon had its new lenses ready before its bodies. It also understood that new photographers were either buying dead end rebels or non canon mirrorless cameras.

every Consumer company has soft advertising. Leaks, influencers, fan websites, etc are all options. I wouldn’t put anything past a big company like canon. They wanted to stop defections in 2019 while they prep eared their response.

my 2 cents

QUOTE="canonnews, post: 814046, member: 380139"]
I disagree.

The RF mount was a natural progression as was the 1.0 camera bodies.

None of them could have been done until Canon updated their fab to produce DPAF full frame sensors, once it was done, and the decision was made to use the RF mount (most likely because of IBIS + IS) then releasing the cameras made a lot of sense. To do it later, would have been progressively harder because Canon would have most likely released the 1DX Mark III, the 5D Mark V,etc camera bodies which would have made it even more difficult for EF users to transition over to the RF mount.

As it is the 5D Mark IV is difficult enough for people to decide to move to the EOS R system, perhaps with the R5 Canon will have a compelling body. For this reason alone, Canon should have done the RF mount sooner. Nothing to do with Sony,etc.

But to say Canon panicked? How can they when it takes around 3+ years to develop a camera?

Canon also doesn't leak.

If Canon wanted the world to know - they'd do a development announcement.
[/QUOTE]
I disagree.

The RF mount was a natural progression as was the 1.0 camera bodies.

None of them could have been done until Canon updated their fab to produce DPAF full frame sensors, once it was done, and the decision was made to use the RF mount (most likely because of IBIS + IS) then releasing the cameras made a lot of sense. To do it later, would have been progressively harder because Canon would have most likely released the 1DX Mark III, the 5D Mark V,etc camera bodies which would have made it even more difficult for EF users to transition over to the RF mount.

As it is the 5D Mark IV is difficult enough for people to decide to move to the EOS R system, perhaps with the R5 Canon will have a compelling body. For this reason alone, Canon should have done the RF mount sooner. Nothing to do with Sony,etc.

But to say Canon panicked? How can they when it takes around 3+ years to develop a camera?

Canon also doesn't leak.

If Canon wanted the world to know - they'd do a development announcement.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Yep, how often are you shooting 15mm full-frame slow-motion? And NEED it to be wider than say, the 22mm you could get with a Canon EF 11-24mm attached? A lot more slow-mo work is done at 50+mm anyway

If you need wide at those sorts of crops you have a pretty good set of EF-S/S35/sigma DC options as well. AF is probably not on the table for 4K 120 anyways.

Upvote 0
Likely the real news:
Canon EOS R5 (assume sub $4k camera)

45mp full-frame CMOS
IBIS
12fps / 20fps ; FF / crop, respsectively
8K @ 30p ; external recording
4K @ 120p ; external recording
4K @ 60p ; external recording
Rumored announcement date of February 13, 2020

4K @ 120p and 8k is far fetch; unbelievable. They will need at least the 4K @ 60p to stay competitive to Panny. Historically, Canon's business of video (cinema or dslr) is always behind in the market. If any of these comes true, their business practice have to be transformed dramatically.

I hate to plug CN.. but I don't think Craig minds, he plugs me on twitter, etc all the time.

I went into the math about all that 8k 30p isn't that much of a stretch if we consider what the 1DX Mark III can do.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
As a professional landscape photographer I've been waiting for over 2 years through hundreds of rumours of the upcoming Canon High Megapixel Camera:
CANON-RS

I know it feels like over 2 years, but that's impossible ;)

But I agree, I've been waiting for either this new 120MP DSLR or related R camera for a while now. I had it budgeted for last september and now i have it budgeted for early summer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it for Canon EXPO in September. but that's just my educated guess.

Upvote 0
I still don't really believe that Canon would go and totally wreck their just released 1DX Mark III with a camera that beats it in about every spec.
But let's wait and see what the Canon cripple hammer will bring.
My guess would be: No dualpixel AF in 8K and 4K 120p modes, no RAW recording and a price tag of more than 6500 dollars.
Anything less then that and they can basically give their 1DX3 to the birds.

Upvote 0
I still don't really believe that Canon would go and totally wreck their just released 1DX Mark III with a camera that beats it in about every spec.
But let's wait and see what the Canon cripple hammer will bring.
My guess would be: No dualpixel AF in 8K and 4K 120p modes, no RAW recording and a price tag of more than 6500 dollars.
Anything less then that and they can basically give their 1DX3 to the birds.

sure if you ignore battery life, durability, optical viewfinder, native EF mount, 1 series ergonomics, etc. While it will raise questions about the 1DX Mark III its not as if the two are looking at the same customers.

also .. cripple hammer? really? :rolleyes::rolleyes: if 8K 30p doesn't have AF / DPAF it's "crippled"? seriously?

That just makes my teeth ache

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Not entirely, there is a shift to video and photo combination, which also leads to continues lightning, which let photographers use continues lightning, also for Pro's. There would a frame grab more relevant and sufficient.

And wait, what are pro's? In my opinion Pro's are people that make content and images that works.There is no specific way to create such work.

The best still photographers getting paid for their work still use flash for most of their best images. Constant lighting does not hold a candle to the flexibility and power available with strobes.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The best still photographers getting paid for their work still use flash for most of their best images.

I don't mean any offense, but this is purely your opinion, unless you have any numbers to back it up.
Constant lighting does not hold a candle to the flexibility and power available with strobes.

Only in the last 10 years, with the invention of powerful and portable LED arrays, has constant lighting become truly viable for photographers --- but make no mistake, constant lighting can absolutely replace flash when you're photographing human subjects, as long as you invest in good panels. There are also marked advantages to using constant lighting, including WYSIWYG exposure (which saves time when you're setting up your shots) and less pupil dilation in your models' eyes.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
CANON-RS

This would be a huge benefit for me as I print 40x60 inches and larger

If Canon doesn't announce a high megapixel camera body in February 2020 I will be reluctantly jumping ship to Sony and buying the A7r4 or the rumoured Nikon D900 (with the Sony 64 Megapixel Sensor) or even possibly the upcoming 100 megapixel Fuji GFX Lite Body

I would much rather stick with Canon

I love their hardware and have been a Canon Aficionado since 1980 when I got my Canon A1 film camera.

The new RF lenses look simply amazing and will only continue to expand their offerings

I think Sony can be consistently relied upon to upgrade their camera bodies every 24 months and they have more resources in their sensor fabrication and electronics to stay on the cutting edge

I don't give a Rat's Ass about video although and 8K time lapse function would be great.
A 45 megapixel catch-all generalist body is not what I'm looking for.

However painful selling off my Canon 5D4 / 5DSr and 6 L series lenses is : I am almost ready.

PLEASE Canon if you're listening give the studio and landscape photographers a reason to stay.
You joined yesterday and this is your first post? Ta-ra then.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2015
I don't mean any offense, but this is purely your opinion, unless you have any numbers to back it up.

Of course he doesn't have the numbers, because I doubt they are running statistics on type of lights being used by photographers, but from what I have seen i would say it is a pretty good opinion.
The only advantage of constant lighting is being able to see the light that you are going to get on your photo. And disadvantages are more power consumption, bigger and heavier lights and batteries, lack of lstrong lights that can fit established bayonets for lighting accesories on them, small pupils and bad expressions on models faces when using brighter lights.
Have you tried using constant lights outdoors on a bright day? BTW how easy is it to fit accesories like softboxes and snouts on those LED panels?

There are also marked advantages to using constant lighting, including WYSIWYG exposure (which saves time when you're setting up your shots) and less pupil dilation in your models' eyes.

What do you mean less dilation? Models sure love it when you shine those LED lights directly into their eyes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0
sure if you ignore battery life, durability, optical viewfinder, native EF mount, 1 series ergonomics, etc. While it will raise questions about the 1DX Mark III its not as if the two are looking at the same customers.

also .. cripple hammer? really? :rolleyes::rolleyes: if 8K 30p doesn't have AF / DPAF it's "crippled"? seriously?

That just makes my teeth ache

THANK YOU!

Upvote 0