Rumored Canon EOS M7 camera specifications, and the end of the line for EOS M? [CR1]

And for some reason, that made the lightbulb go off for me.

Why so many people here aren't simply "not interested in M cameras" but rather want Canon to kill it. An awful lot of hate for something they don't have to use and can ignore if they want.

They're probably largely APS-C users who are afraid Canon is going to try to herd them into it, instead of giving them something that will use RF lenses.

Idk tbh. I can see an argument from them saying the size difference between APSC and FF nowadays isn't that big. Just go on camerasize.com and check out A7III + Tamron 28-75/2.8 vs X-T4 or X-T30 + 16-55/2.8, the size difference isn't that big. X-T4 + 18-135 vs A7III + Tamron 28-200 as well. Maybe Canon sees this and thinks eventually the size difference between APSC and FF will become almost a non factor and so they drop the APSC and just focus on FF?

But I think APSC still has a market and there's still a lot of potential on the M line. Just make some small, cheap, and decent primes and it'll be my choice for street photography and just compact general photography. Fujifilm is good and all but they are not cheap as well. The Canon 32mm F1.4 is not a cheap lens, but still cheaper than the Fujifilm 35mm F1.4.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
A few people here have claimed the RF mount is not that much bigger than the EF-M mount, and there'd be no problem putting it on, say, an M6. I just took the body cap off my R5 and used it to compare. By eyeball (which means there's a one or two millimeter error) Its diameter is identical to the height of my M6-II and slightly beats out my M50 except, of course for the viewfinder hump. [really, autoincorrect is flagging "millimeter"?]

Upvote 0
That simply isn't true.

View attachment 192521

Thats why in the next paragraph I said the M line choose the correct path in making decent small primes instead of big zooms because as soon as you make a 16-55/2.8 the size difference becomes not as big compared to a full frame.
size-1.JPGsize-2.JPG

I was looking at the Fujifilm 16-55/2.8 thinking of getting it since there's no such lens in the M line up, but then found out its actually a pretty big lens and the size difference compared to the Tamron 28-75/2.8 is not that much.
Hence, I am not saying I think this is why Canon might consider cutting the M line, I am just saying SOME PEOPLE might use this as an argument. I think APSC still has a lot of potential as I said in my previous post that small primes + small body will be my choice for street and just general photography.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The M Series creates to good of a cash flow for Canon in my opinion for them to just kill it off, especially as soon as next year (2021)....
Canon's actions and what we see with our own eyes can be used as a guide; it looks like they are killing off certain lines of DSLR's such as the 5D's, 7D's, quite possibly the 6D's. It also looks like the 90D may be the last of the **D series. We may actually be seeing the 1DXiii being the last of it's line.
We don't hear much of the Rebel Series being spoke about....
We do hear a few new lenses and camera's soon to be released for the M Series and right out of Canon's mouth they have said the RF mount is their main focus.
Looks to me they are phasing out the middle ground and will in a few years just have the budget friendly M Mount or the outrageously expensive RF Mount to choose from.

Upvote 0
Good Lord, how much image stabilization do people need? The combined IBIS and lens stabilization is already more than you can use if you are taking pictures of anything that is alive...or taking pictures outside if there is even the slightest breeze...or taking pictures on a planet that rotates every 24 hours.

MOAR IBIS :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thats why in the next paragraph I said the M line choose the correct path in making decent small primes instead of big zooms because as soon as you make a 16-55/2.8 the size difference becomes not as big compared to a full frame.
View attachment 192522View attachment 192523

I was looking at the Fujifilm 16-55/2.8 thinking of getting it since there's no such lens in the M line up, but then found out its actually a pretty big lens and the size difference compared to the Tamron 28-75/2.8 is not that much.
Hence, I am not saying I think this is why Canon might consider cutting the M line, I am just saying THOSE PEOPLE might use this as an argument. I think APSC still has a lot of potential as I said in my previous post that small primes + small body will be my choice for street and just general photography.
My point was with what is available the M series is massively smaller than ff cameras with ff camera lenses. I personally believe the vast majority of people here underestimate three things, first is how much money the M series actually makes for Canon. Obviously none of us know an actual figure but seeing as how the Rebels used to be the cash cows and the M is a similar success I'd guess quite a decent percentage.

Second, Canon see the M as a size thing, they see it as a major selling point for the mass market that want better than phone quality images but not the size and price nor ultimate system flexibility of the ff cameras and lenses. We will never see Canon EF-M f2.8 zooms, never. Canon do not see the core customer base for the M series as giving a damn about f2.8 lenses, yes some people here might like them, but Canon do not see them as representative of the M mass market.

Third, the vast majority of people who buy into ILC's don't actually buy any more lenses, they get the kit lens, maybe a two lens kit, but most don't give a damn about how big or small other lenses are because they are not going to buy them anyway. But if they do get another lens, a macro or a prime, they don't want it to be the size and weight as the camera and zoom lens they already have.

Personally I don't see Canon as needing to do anything at all to continue dominating in the APS-C ILC space, no more lenses and little but minor updates to the 6, 50 and 100 series, sure I personally would like an M5 II, but truthfully I am not the M series primary market and I understand that simple point. Every camera doesn't have to be attractive to every customer even if we are GAS addled camera freaks.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
IMHO, that's the smoking gun.

This rumor came from someone's rectal database, and that someone is no friend of Canon's. Else why put a ridiculous overheat caveat like this into the rumor, other than to light the overheat screamers off?

as well as this one:
  • Cheap EVF, 2.36Mdots

Pretty Haha funny and I am sure others feel the same way ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
My point was with what is available the M series is massively smaller than ff cameras with ff camera lenses. I personally believe the vast majority of people here underestimate three things, first is how much money the M series actually makes for Canon. Obviously none of us know an actual figure but seeing as how the Rebels used to be the cash cows and the M is a similar success I'd guess quite a decent percentage.

Second, Canon see the M as a size thing, they see it as a major selling point for the mass market that want better than phone quality images but not the size and price nor ultimate system flexibility of the ff cameras and lenses. We will never see Canon EF-M f2.8 zooms, never. Canon do not see the core customer base for the M series as giving a damn about f2.8 lenses, yes some people here might like them, but Canon do not see them as representative of the M mass market.

Third, the vast majority of people who buy into ILC's don't actually buy any more lenses, they get the kit lens, maybe a two lens kit, but most don't give a damn about how big or small other lenses are because they are not going to buy them anyway. But if they do get another lens, a macro or a prime, they don't want it to be the size and weight as the camera and zoom lens they already have.

Personally I don't see Canon as needing to do anything at all to continue dominating in the APS-C ILC space, no more lenses and little but minor updates to the 6, 50 and 100 series, sure I personally would like an M5 II, but truthfully I am not the M series primary market and I understand that simple point. Every camera doesn't have to be attractive to every customer even if we are GAS addled camera freaks.

Man oh man is this a great post.

I do have but one nit to pick about your wonderful screengrab of the size comparison (M5 +22mm vs RP + 35mm RF): the M5 22mm combo lacks IS (which of course an IBIS-equipped M format body would solve wink emoji)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
even if we are GAS addled camera freaks.

I resemble that remark!!!

(Admittedly I've yet to drop $2000+ US for a short prime, but I wouldn't have much use for one so I've not felt the impulse. But dropping a wheelbarrow full of cash on the RF 15-35 apparently is within the scope of my GAS-beaddlement [I may have just invented that word].)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Stop this illusion of upgrade path.
Most of APS-C users never upgrade to full frame.
They buy rebel after rebel, xxD after xxD.

And even in my case, it took forever. I only entered the full frame world this last July 30. (Fortunately I have a few EF lenses, but did break down and buy one RF...)

Upvote 0
To me it made no sense to have interchangable lens in smaller camera body.
To me, that makes no sense. Maybe if you're lucky enough to live to an older age (with or without arthirtis in your hands and fingers) you'd sing a different tune.
To all the M-haters, can you comprehend that a camera line can be the ONLY one for some folks, and/or a SECONDARY line for others (like me)?

Upvote 0
if Canon can keep the camera/lens system a small as the M line is now, I'd probably be ok if they killed it. But lens girth is what I am worried my be the issue.

I like the small factor for many reasons. More acceptable in venues where "Pro" cameras are not allowed. Easy to travel with.
....And it gets tiring when people are looking at you. I did a 360 degree pan around just before the lawn met the sand at a resort in Hawaii and I hear an annoyed woman say "Uh, What are you doing??" - I thought to myself "Please biAtcH, I wouldn't touch your saggy leather tanned skin with a 10 foot pole" This was with my already small M50, but with a mid sized lens (Sigma 18-35 1.8) and gorillapod on my shoulders for stability. If it were with just with the kit lens (sized) and no gorilla, I think she would've reacted the same as if I just had a cellphone (meaning no reaction). it's really weird how people react as if your camera is a machine gun, but like a released box of beautiful butterfly's when using a cell phone camera.

LOL!
:ROFLMAO: I think it was the gorillapod. But I feel your frustration!

• Haha
Upvote 0