Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1]

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
The aggressive way Canon is developing incredible RF lenses that are way beyond anything Sony has even dreamed of or can do with the small mount will carry Canon through. Cameras come and go but great optics are far more difficult. Canon will have incredible camera bodies soon enough. Same pattern as the EF system that when completed totally dominated the market especially the pro market. I doubt they will just roll over and let Sony take the #1 spot without a fight. Nikon rolled over and quit by staying with the horribly antiquated flippy levers and whirly gears just to salvage the obsolete mount for "Legacy". when Canon destroyed them and they have never recovered, I doubt Canon will make the same mistake as Nikon did

This is exactly why most (actual) professionals are still using Canon.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
No more buttons.

I want full voice integration.

“Alexa, set my aperature to F2.8”
“Alexa, set my shutter speed to 150”

Or I’m switching to SONY!
Such Alexa skill is totally possible with the current Canon cameras, but won't work with the majority of current Sonys. Sony is way behind Canon in wireless tethering.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
Such Alexa skill is totally possible with the current Canon cameras, but won't work with the majority of current Sonys. Sony is way behind Canon in wireless tethering.

They (Canon) had a contest to develop an app with their new camera API recently.

No joke.

I started developing an app too overlay downloadable, selectable grids on the view, but it turned out to be a bit more work than in wanted to invest.

I need to see who won that contest.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Are you saying that Canon Rs is powered by Android OS? Wow... :)
Yeah.... Window’s would be much better....

now how did I change the aperture again? Oh yes.... control alt f7 to get into the menu, select settings, select picture taking, select lens settings, select lens....... oh crap, it’s a Tamron lens! Go back out, log into Tamron, download the control pack, install it, reset camera, wait for camera to do upgrades, log into camera, control alt F7 to get into menu, select settings, select picture taking, select lens settings, select lens, select aperture, select F5.6! Are you sure? Select yes.step all the way back out of the menu system, realize you did not click on the confirm box, and put the camera into auto mode

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yeah.... Window’s would be much better....

now how did I change the aperture again? Oh yes.... control alt f7 to get into the menu, select settings, select picture taking, select lens settings, select lens....... oh crap, it’s a Tamron lens! Go back out, log into Tamron, download the control pack, install it, reset camera, wait for camera to do upgrades, log into camera, control alt F7 to get into menu, select settings, select picture taking, select lens settings, select lens, select aperture, select F5.6! Are you sure? Select yes.step all the way back out of the menu system, realize you did not click on the confirm box, and put the camera into auto mode
Then imagine all the opportunities for virus protection suite sales on your camera.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
I think a very large percentage of those people swapping to Sony are doing so because they believe(wrongly) that a sony camera will somehow improve their work. That is a mark of Sonys excellent advertising. Cudos to sony for that. Then there are the younger demographic getting into photography who have to have the latest and greatest tech. Obviously they will go sony because they think(wrongly) that Sony will make them better photographers than Canon or Nikon etc. Ergonomics are not really a concern with this demographic because most are coming from phones anyway. Sonys genius has nothing to do with producing superior equipment. On the contrary it is only the last release(A7r4) that has matched the competition. Sonys genius has been marketing
Sorry but this is nonsense. You sound a little bitter about Sony’s success as you unfairly insult Sony users. Before I respond, I’m no Sony fanboy. I treat all cameras as simply tools to get the job done. Firstly, the reason many people have gone over to Sony is they had been fed up waiting for Canon (and Nikon) to step into the mirrorless market. Secondly, Sony, with the A7III have managed to create a remarkable camera for $2000 that has two card slots and IBIS (of course the A7III isn’t a perfect camera, far from it). Canon has so far nothing to compete on that price level. IBIS and two card slots look set to appear in a high end Canon that very few will be able to afford. Add to that Canon’s superb but expensive lenses. There are quite a number of Sony lenses and third party lenses for people who don’t need high end, big expensive glass. Sony glass might not be quite on par with L lenses but many working photographers use and are more than happy with them for the work they do. Also bear in mind that Canon’s most successful cameras are the consumer EOS M range. Simply producing superior products with prices out of reach for most consumers isn’t a measure of success.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The aggressive way Canon is developing incredible RF lenses that are way beyond anything Sony has even dreamed of or can do with the small mount will carry Canon through. Cameras come and go but great optics are far more difficult. Canon will have incredible camera bodies soon enough. Same pattern as the EF system that when completed totally dominated the market especially the pro market. I doubt they will just roll over and let Sony take the #1 spot without a fight. Nikon rolled over and quit by staying with the horribly antiquated flippy levers and whirly gears just to salvage the obsolete mount for "Legacy". when Canon destroyed them and they have never recovered, I doubt Canon will make the same mistake as Nikon did

The new RF glass looks really nice, so it seems canon are on to a good thing here. My point is that I don't think canon will dominate the market as easily as they did with EF - Sony has had a good chance to establish, and they have kept releasing good lenses and new bodies themselves while canon have brought out the RF mount (I wasn't around when EF came out, but it sounds like Nikon waited for a lot longer to do anything about the market shift?)

Sorry but this is nonsense. You sound a little bitter about Sony’s success as you unfairly insult Sony users. Before I respond, I’m no Sony fanboy. I treat all cameras as simply tools to get the job done. Firstly, the reason many people have gone over to Sony is they had been fed up waiting for Canon (and Nikon) to step into the mirrorless market. Secondly, Sony, with the A7III have managed to create a remarkable camera for $2000 that has two card slots and IBIS (of course the A7III isn’t a perfect camera, far from it). Canon has so far nothing to compete on that price level. IBIS and two card slots look set to appear in a high end Canon that very few will be able to afford. Add to that Canon’s superb but expensive lenses. There are quite a number of Sony lenses and third party lenses for people who don’t need high end, big expensive glass. Sony glass might not be quite on par with L lenses but many pro’s use and are more than happy with them anyway. Also bear in mind that Canon’s most successful cameras are the consumer EOS M range. Simply producing superior products with prices out of reach for most consumers isn’t a measure of success.

And I think this is where the leadership race may be a lot closer than Canon would think/like - the RF glass is very nice, but Sony have some very solid options at the mid range bracket, and they have done the right thing with the open mount specs.
The R camera looks like a good piece of kit, but it's going to be compared to the likes of the Sony A7iii, and body specs do make a difference to what people will go for. Both have advantages, and I wonder if the race will be a bit more even this time round

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I use a 5DIV and while I am very happy with it, I would like my next Canon camera to have IBIS and a new generation sensor, up from the one in the 5DIV. I would be happy with one between say 32-40 MP. I guess I am sort of speculating over a 2nd gen R body. An R Mark II, I guess. I use the f4 series of L glass, a camera like the one discussed here of 75 MP is nice but much more than I need or want right now.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Sorry but this is nonsense. You sound a little bitter about Sony’s success as you unfairly insult Sony users. Before I respond, I’m no Sony fanboy. I treat all cameras as simply tools to get the job done. Firstly, the reason many people have gone over to Sony is they had been fed up waiting for Canon (and Nikon) to step into the mirrorless market. Secondly, Sony, with the A7III have managed to create a remarkable camera for $2000 that has two card slots and IBIS (of course the A7III isn’t a perfect camera, far from it). Canon has so far nothing to compete on that price level. IBIS and two card slots look set to appear in a high end Canon that very few will be able to afford. Add to that Canon’s superb but expensive lenses. There are quite a number of Sony lenses and third party lenses for people who don’t need high end, big expensive glass. Sony glass might not be quite on par with L lenses but many working photographers use and are more than happy with them for the work they do. Also bear in mind that Canon’s most successful cameras are the consumer EOS M range. Simply producing superior products with prices out of reach for most consumers isn’t a measure of success.
I recently added the a7R IV to my kit (5d IV and 1DX II) and I must say, I am not as exited as I hoped I would be.
Its nice for travel and landscape, hands down. But everything involving humans is quite disapointing because of the colors. Especialy the Auto White Balance and the skintones under artificial lights are realy bad. It takes a lot of editing to get a pleasent result.
I wanted to use the a7r with the silent shutter for weddings, but it turned out, that "anti flicker" wont work with silent shutter enabled. Under pretty much EVERY electric lights you get very bad stripes in the image without anti-flicker. So the silent shutter turned out to be a disapointment. I didnt thought this would be so much of a problem, but it realy ruins the photos.
The resolution and dynmic range is nice to have, but not that much of a gamechanger. Its certainly great for product shots (and landscape) though, where you get way better cutouts and retouch.
The exposure simulation is quite nice to have, but the EVF is pretty small and blurry. Its not realy a noteable benefit for my work (I never had much of a problem with exposure on the 5D IV)

Anyway - I hope canon releases a good 1DX III with IBIS - than I am all set up on the video front. The only thing I miss right now on the 1DX II is ibis. IQ, AF, 4k60 etc is realy great. On the sony and especialy on our Panasonics its realy a treat to have IBIS.
I also hope they release soon a good mirrrorless camera with a high resolution and a "professional" body with good ergonomics and dual card slots.
If both of this happens, I am totaly fine with sticking to canon =)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't believe he was trying to insult Sony users. That's not how I read it at all. He praised Sony's marketing strategy and was talking about new camera users, not veteran users.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Body over glass? Glass over body? Balance? These are the three camps...whether it's what one prefers, uses or dreams of they are the realities we live in and choose. Canon has created an ecosystem of lenses over body for many strictly by creating the phenomenal EF lens catalog and now adding the RF lenses to that compatibility. The bodies will come, true, announcement pricing will be prohibitive to some but they always fall, and the same applies to Sony. Sony existing body prices continue to be compared apples to oranges to Canon's CR3 body prices. Then you have your geography for cost.

When it all comes down to it, it's an expensive hobby, sport, lifestyle and profession for top notch gear and no matter if you fetishize the items or view them as a tool (which has become a popular go to phrase as of late here) the features are not that dissimilar and it comes down to what you can do with them. Every time I see incredible images produced with a Rebel or M series camera it reminds me the IBIS, DR and other spec blather is so crazy ridiculous.

Now, that said, ergonomics, menus and color, mated with customer service and build quality are another matter (One which Canon has got the rest by the balls)

Upvote 0
Ok, so for Canon to bring it they would need ibis for those great RF lens and better eye af for sure. The thing mostly needed would be the ability to have various raw sizes so you can save Eg 36mp, 42mp, 50mp along with the 70pm because only a few people would be interested in files so big and they need to capitalize on the majority to rival once and for all the alpha camera. Let's see if they can get the job done.

Upvote 0
Why? Minolta was one of The Big Three (SLR camera manufacturers) and had the most feature-rich cameras. Technology-wise, Canon was a follower.

Ah, looking on the wikipedia page, it has a comment how Minolta wasn't able to compete well against the 'Big Two of Canon and Nikon', so I thought the duopoly had been around for some time. It may have just been referring to the change to digital however?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Ok, so for Canon to bring it they would need ibis for those great RF lens and better eye af for sure. The thing mostly needed would be the ability to have various raw sizes so you can save Eg 36mp, 42mp, 50mp along with the 70pm because only a few people would be interested in files so big and they need to capitalize on the majority to rival once and for all the alpha camera. Let's see if they can get the job done.
The eye AF is already fantastic. Firmware 1.4.0

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

Not sure what is nonsense about it. SONY shooters are constantly telling us why they chose sony. Usually because sony have the DR that produces amazing images when crippled canon cant. Or that sonys 4k is the one and only thing that matters in the world. They clearly think these features will make them good whereas if they had a canon they would be failures. And i am not sure how i am bitter about that. I applaud Sony for milking that cash cow with what have (untill the a7r4) been sub par offerings. And the lack of appreciation of ergonomics by people who go from phones to FF is understandable so sony took 10 years to care about it because they didnt have to. Again. I applaud sony for being successful without the need to make good quality equipment. The focus on the spec sheet only at the cost of quality has been a smart move for them.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0