Show your Bird Portraits

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Another beautiful series, usern4cr. Well done.

I love your cat.
a078.gif
Thanks, Click!

I wish Ollie could be a young kitten forever! - 'Course I wouldn't mind being young and playful forever, either! :)
The chances to take such "cute" photos are so fleeting! I wish I had embraced those moments more, but that's life!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I really hesitate to offer critical commentary and I wouldn't if it were not for the fact that what I'm going to say was directed my way here in the forum about 8 years ago by a pretty knowledgeable individual. Many bird lovers like me also suffer from GAS. We tend to put all our focus on our subject such as how sharp it is, how much detail in the eyelashes, how brilliant the colours and so forth and... possibly neglect the composition, which is more than just the bird. I was told to not crop so tightly on the bird; allow it to have some context, particularly if there are interesting shapes or elements in the photo that will actually direct the viewers eye to the subject. Along with that is the general comment of not always placing the subject in the centre of the photo. Of course these are just guidelines, not hard and fast rules and of course we still live in a free society where we can be individuals. FWIW Of course, I like these photos in case that might be in doubt.

Jack
Thanks, Jack.

I haven't really studied the art of how to position & crop subjects for photography (but I probably should have!).
I do know about the rule of thirds, and leading the eye into the subject area with forground/middleground/distance (well, for landscapes).
But I end up just cropping & positioning things so that they just seem to work for me visually, while trying to have eyes on one of the 1/3rd lines if possible.
Cropping tight or keeping wide open is something I consider based on how interesting the background is, and how interesting the subject is. I often try different combinations of sizing as well as portrait/landscape orientations.

It's something that I hope to get better at as I do it more (as in all things in life, if possible).
I'm glad you like these, and I'll always welcome suggestions regarding what might make them better.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks, Jack.

I haven't really studied the art of how to position & crop subjects for photography (but I probably should have!).
I do know about the rule of thirds, and leading the eye into the subject area with forground/middleground/distance (well, for landscapes).
But I end up just cropping & positioning things so that they just seem to work for me visually, while trying to have eyes on one of the 1/3rd lines if possible.
Cropping tight or keeping wide open is something I consider based on how interesting the background is, and how interesting the subject is. I often try different combinations of sizing as well as portrait/landscape orientations.

It's something that I hope to get better at as I do it more (as in all things in life, if possible).
I'm glad you like these, and I'll always welcome suggestions regarding what might make them better.
Well, I'm in the same boat with a desire but I'm not trained, so I, like you, am always looking at ways to improve my vision. Never the less, all this must remain fun or it's pointless (unless we wish to go commercial of course).

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Totally agree! My personal two pence is to try avoiding too many branches in the photo. Branches can make a nice frame, but not a background. This recommendation will make bird photography a more challenging activity, but it's worth it.
If you look at the pure photo-aspect it's totally right!
But:
1. I'm taking photos regularly, no mater what is in front of me - rare or very common bird. I think photography is not just an art - it's also kind of sport. Keeping your skills fresh will help you also in the moment when you need every thing from yourself to get that rare bird/interesting scene... Your fingers should know where they have to push/rotate "without engaging your mind" because you are busy with framing or so...
2. Sometimes you know the opportunity to get a photo of that bird is low/to extremely low - and you shoot anyway (and you perfectly know that from pure photog point you are getting something of low quality). But you just got something interesting (from birders perspective)!
3. If we were posting here just the very best (from photogs point of view!) this topic wouldn't have that many participants - there is something else here... And I personally like it!!!

And finally (damn it - I got tired of so much typing!!!) -some photos from today. Nothing interesting, I'm just keeping myself fit...
White Tern - from adult (in very bad, harshly contrasting light!) to the babies of the whitish form and to the brownish form. And few of the Red-vented Bulbul.
Sorry for the branches but it didn't pop up for better photo :(!

DSC_4560_DxO.jpgDSC_4569_DxO.jpgDSC_4606_DxO.jpgDSC_4634_DxO.jpgDSC_4707_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
If you look at the pure photo-aspect it's totally right!
But:
1. I'm taking photos regularly, no mater what is in front of me - rare or very common bird. I think photography is not just an art - it's also kind of sport. Keeping your skills fresh will help you also in the moment when you need every thing from yourself to get that rare bird/interesting scene... Your fingers should know where they have to push/rotate "without engaging your mind" because you are busy with framing or so...
2. Sometimes you know the opportunity to get a photo of that bird is low/to extremely low - and you shoot anyway (and you perfectly know that from pure photog point you are getting something of low quality). But you just got something interesting (from birders perspective)!
3. If we were posting here just the very best (from photogs point of view!) this topic wouldn't have that many participants - there is something else here... And I personally like it!!!

And finally (damn it - I got tired of so much typing!!!) -some photos from today. Nothing interesting, I'm just keeping myself fit...
White Tern - from adult (in very bad, harshly contrasting light!) to the babies of the whitish form and to the brownish form. And few of the Red-vented Bulbul.
Sorry for the branches but it didn't pop up for better photo :(!

View attachment 196855View attachment 196856View attachment 196857View attachment 196858View attachment 196859
Great photos! And I concur with every sentence in you long text. I'm doing exactly the same. And I didn't want to offend anybody. The key word in my previous post was "trying"! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
We take bird photos for a number of reasons, including: for the record of our bird watching and for identification; to capture a rare bird, which is exciting for us and maybe of general interest; to capture birds in action doing things that birds do; and to produce artistically satisfying compositions. My own route in bird photography proceeded time wise in that order, and I now try my hand at all of them. Taking bird photos give me great joy and adds purpose to all of my recreational walks and holidays and I carry a camera and lightweight telephoto lens just about everywhere I go and find time during breaks in meetings to take photos. Where the bird per se is of prime importance, then composition is subsidiary. For common birds, then composition becomes more important, in my mind.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Well, I'm in the same boat with a desire but I'm not trained, so I, like you, am always looking at ways to improve my vision. Never the less, all this must remain fun or it's pointless (unless we wish to go commercial of course).

Jack
I agree. If someone wants to buy something of mine then I'm glad to sell it (and it would be a thrill) but I'm retired and enjoy whatever "hobby" I want at the moment and the last thing I'd want is to try to make money in photography which (I assume) is a really tough way for even long-time professionals to make a good living at currently.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks, ISv. Ice & snow are a rarity here, so I tried to take hours of bird photos with it while I could.
Funny, yesterday I was out with a light jacket (+8C) in the sun on dry earth visiting my pair of Canada geese who appear to be planning to nest, perhaps once again on my playhouse roof. And then I heard thunder and saw ominous clouds and within an hour the snow was falling like crazy. Now it's morning and I'm heading out with the camera - everything is laden with snow and ice and it's -3C. No rarity here but still beautiful. This is not today's shot but with some luck, maybe I can match it

Attachments

• Frosty_21717.JPG
    Frosty_21717.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 161
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Funny, yesterday I was out with a light jacket (+8C) in the sun on dry earth visiting my pair of Canada geese who appear to be planning to nest, perhaps once again on my playhouse roof. And then I heard thunder and saw ominous clouds and within an hour the snow was falling like crazy. Now it's morning and I'm heading out with the camera - everything is laden with snow and ice and it's -3C. No rarity here but still beautiful. This is not today's shot but with some luck, maybe I can match it
Beautiful composition!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm all for everyone taking pictures for whatever reason they choose. Hiking is good exercise and why not with a camera!! However, if someone were to mention selling their pictures I would assume that they want their pictures to appeal to a broad audience (more sales) and be striking (more sales) and this then presupposes an interest in composition. I happen to be burdened with an upbringing that was always pushing me to perfection and so my perspective is influenced by that - I often wish it were not. :cry:

Jack

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Excellent shot Jack - really lovely. With no disrespect intended to others, for me it's one of the best shots on this thread, and I've been through from page one (over the years).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Excellent shot Jack - really lovely. With no disrespect intended to others, for me it's one of the best shots on this thread, and I've been through from page one (over the years).
That's quite the compliment. I'll take it even if it's not quite that deserving. :unsure: I'd hate to be seen as trying to make out friendly interactions competitive.

I did get a couple of shots in the snow on my brief walk earlier today Canada Goose_s_59226.JPGbut I think the birds must be waiting for it to melt and hiding out.

Jack

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm all for everyone taking pictures for whatever reason they choose. Hiking is good exercise and why not with a camera!! However, if someone were to mention selling their pictures I would assume that they want their pictures to appeal to a broad audience (more sales) and be striking (more sales) and this then presupposes an interest in composition. I happen to be burdened with an upbringing that was always pushing me to perfection and so my perspective is influenced by that - I often wish it were not. :cry:

Jack
If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
No, if a thing is not worth doing make sure you do it badly. Consistency! This guy is not sure it's worth doing. He hung there like this for at least 10 minutes, even as I walked around the other side. I think he's depressed given the other side of the stump is a mass of snow!

JackDowny woodpecker_s_59176.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0