SIGMA will address the RF mount in 2022 [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I don’t have a lot of reliable sources for SIGMA and Tamron, which isn’t for a lack of trying.  One of the most asked questions I get is “when will SIGMA and/or Tamron launch RF lenses?” With my answer usually being that I have no idea.
That may have changed this week, as a good source for other areas of the industry told me that at least SIGMA would be addressing the RF mount in 2022. While the source wasn’t privy to the actual roadmap, they did think that we’d see 3-5 lenses announced for the RF mount in 2022. The biggest roadblock for SIGMA is apparently manufacturing capabilities beyond just the issues from the pandemic. This does make some sense, as SIGMA has said in the past that keeping up with demand is an ongoing challenge.
As for Tamron, I haven’t heard a peep about their plans.
More to come…

Continue reading...

I'd love the newest Sigma 85mm f/1.4 in RF mount. It's roughly the same size as the Canon RF 85 f/2. I dig what Canon has done with their f/1.2 lenses, but they're significantly bigger than the EF versions and with the smaller mirrorless bodies they just don't balance well. First to get some decently compact f/1.4 primes out gets my money.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
I'd love the newest Sigma 85mm f/1.4 in RF mount. It's roughly the same size as the Canon RF 85 f/2.
What? Not at all. The Sigma 85mm ART for EF is more than double the weight, and bigger of course. Similar to the RF 1.2 you find to heavy...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
"The biggest roadblock for SIGMA is apparently manufacturing capabilities beyond just the issues from the pandemic."

But the experts on this forum keep telling us that it is Canon's fault that Sigma has not yet released any RF lenses. Don't tell me they are wrong!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
"The biggest roadblock for SIGMA is apparently manufacturing capabilities beyond just the issues from the pandemic."

But the experts on this forum keep telling us that it is Canon's fault that Sigma has yet released any RF lenses. Don't tell me they are wrong!
I would like to be proven wrong if delay was only pandemic related and not licensing related. In any case I will be eyeing their Macro lens and one of their 24 f3.5 DG DN(or Tamron .5x primes).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Using 3rd party glass on Canon or Nikon is probably going to work out just fine, but it defeats the whole purpose of having these mounts with the wider diameter.
That might be true in the case of Nikon. However, the Canon EF and R mounts are the same diameter.

Consider the Sigma DSLR Art lenses designed for both the Nikon F and Canon EF mounts. The F mount is much smaller than the EF mount but Sigma seems to have compensated. For FF DN lenses, the smallest lens mount will be the Sony FE, which is about the same diameter as the Canon M mount and the Nikon F mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
What? Not at all. The Sigma 85mm ART for EF is more than double the weight, and bigger of course. Similar to the RF 1.2 you find to heavy...
There are 2 sigma 85's. He means the mirrorless only one that currently doesn't exist for Canon thus mentioned the newer one and would like to see suggesting it doesn't exist. It is indeed much lighter and smaller than the old one. You're right on the size and weight of the EF old one thus I'd also like to see a lot of RF versions of the mirrorless only sigmas that currently Sony E and Leica only mounts. I never carry my sigma 85 art EF unless I really have to for the reason the size and weight and I'd swap out myself if they start making RF versions of those Sony E and L mount options.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
That might be true in the case of Nikon. However, the Canon EF and R mounts are the same diameter.

Consider the Sigma DSLR Art lenses designed for both the Nikon F and Canon EF mounts. The F mount is much smaller than the EF mount but Sigma seems to have compensated. For FF DN lenses, the smallest lens mount will be the Sony FE, which is about the same diameter as the Canon M mount.
I think padam meant that Sigma or Tamron probably won't design the RF lenses from scratch, but will use the same designs as for Sony FE, and those will not be able to taka advantage of the larger RF throat.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I think padam meant that Sigma or Tamron probably won't design the RF lenses from scratch, but will use the same designs as for Sony FE, and those will not be able to taka advantage of the larger RF throat.
Which should give Canon and especially Nikon a competitive advantage, their larger lens mounts allowing them to make better lenses at a lower price. Anybody care to bet whether they will actually do that?

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
I love me some Art glass and I need a FF 24-70. But the EF 24-70 isn't at the same level as most of thee rest of the Art glass so I am hoping it comes early in the road map which is likely. These will definitely be the same mirrorless lenses we have seen for Sony just with a different mount since that is how all their previous lenses worked.

BTW my biggest beef with the EF 85 1.4 Art is that is needs an 87mm filter. If you are shooting wide open in daylight even with the shutter at 1/8000 you are going to need an ND quite often.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
BTW my biggest beef with the EF 85 1.4 Art is that is needs an 87mm filter. If you are shooting wide open in daylight even with the shutter at 1/8000 you are going to need an ND quite often.
Compared to a 1/8000 s shutter speed, the R3's 1/64000 s shutter speed is like adding a 3-stop ND (which is what I typically use for outdoor shooting with my EF 85 mm f/1.2 or 1.4 IS).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0