Sony RX1 Full Frame sensor Compact leaked photos / rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
cliffwang said:
IronChef said:
wockawocka said:
I'll say it again, why would I want this when I have a 5D3 and a 40mm pancake?

Yes it's smaller but I'd be giving up my viewfinder and the ability to change lenses.

Overall, if you drew a line between each corner it isn't much smaller either.

Will I have to use Sony's proprietry hotshoe and memory card format too?

How much is it again? ::)

This camera is clearly aimed at rich photo enthusiasts/pros who likely already have a DSLR and would like to have a high quality compact option. If go a few posts back, you can see it's much smaller than the MK3 body.

I am not a rich guy and not a PRO. My wife like a compact and high quality camera and zoom is not important for her. Unfortunately, her budget is no more than 1.5K. If this one is really good and under 2K, I could buy it for her.
Just wait a year, and the used price may be 1.5K

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Sony must done something right to already have people comparing it directly to the 5d3 ::)

This is a compact camera which the 5d isn't. Never(!) underestimate people's will and funds to get a smaller sized camera. After 15 years of selling this stuff I can safely say that for 90% of people getting a camera size is HUGE reason (no pun intended). And people have been paying insane amount of money to get smaller products since ever.

If this will be a huge seller, I don't think, but for Sony to be the first and for us to see the tech is here is WAY more significant.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
peederj said:
Can anyone confirm whether the Canon mirrorless EF-M mount is big enough to support a full frame sensor?

Canon EOS-M mount is not large enough for an FF-sensor. It's confirmed. A search here will guide you to the relevant threads.

I very much doubt that Sony's E-mount is large enough for an FF sensor.
A full frame E-mount camcorder VG900 will be announced tomorrow
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/filmmaker-will-not-beleve-me-on-this-nex-vg900-full-frame-e-mount-camera-for-a-tiny-bit-more-than-3-000-euro/

Upvote 0
Gulado said:
moreorless said:
GuardianFlash said:
Hmm, this, or a Nikon D600 with a nice lens?

At that price I think the RX1 would need to have the D800 sensor or a really exceptional lens in order to appeal.

The sensor that sits in the D800 is a Sony sensor, so chances are that they will be very similar.

The rumour is its the 24MP sensor which looks like its going to be released for half the price in the D600.

My point was that recently other manifacturers have used fixed lens cameras as a way of offering tech to the market(X100, G1X, DP2M) at a lower price without damaging the value of there interchangle lens models.

Sony could potentially do that by either offering the RX1 with either the D600 or D800 sensor at the same price as those cameras without a good lens.

As it is they seem to be banking on the space saving alone being a big enough draw to get people to pay the same price and lose alot of features for smaller size alone.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
AvTvM said:
epic fail! No lens mount, no zoom = no go.
like Sigma DP1, DP2, Leica X-1 ... dead in the water.

I will never buy a one-focal-length camera.

X100 anyone? One of the most popular cams around until the x-pro 1.

This is just awesome, I applaud you sony.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
AvTvM said:

Look at the X-pro 1's price compaired to the X100 though, your getting the most hyped feature of both cameras in the hybrid EVF/OVF AND a good 35mm equivilent lens for less than the price of the interchangeble lens body by itself.

$2800 on the other hand looks to be far more than the price of the new Nikon D600 which will have a similar sensor and a similar price to that camera and a good quality lens so its really the minaturisation yout paying for.

I can't imagine many users preffering the RX1 to an interchangeble lens equivilent.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
moreorless said:
RLPhoto said:
AvTvM said:

Look at the X-pro 1's price compaired to the X100 though, your getting the most hyped feature of both cameras in the hybrid EVF/OVF AND a good 35mm equivilent lens for less than the price of the interchangeble lens body by itself.

$2800 on the other hand looks to be far more than the price of the new Nikon D600 which will have a similar sensor and a similar price to that camera and a good quality lens so its really the minaturisation yout paying for.

I can't imagine many users preffering the RX1 to an interchangeble lens equivilent.

Your forgetting that this has never been done before. FF digital sensor in a body around the size of an X100, it has no direct competitor. Plus, Zeiss make's fantastic lenses.

The only some-what competition would be a Leica M9. I wished canon had the guts to do a FF mirrorless kinda like this.

D600? With a 35mm F/1.8? The IQ would be quite terrible unless you got the 35mm 1.4G but, wait you've just spent the same amount of money as the RX1.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
RLPhoto said:
AvTvM said:

+1 Absolutely. SOny might have some odd "standards" but they showed a long time ago that they are SERIOUS about digital photography, and back in the day I had ALL the dsc-p# cameras from Sony, (P10 my absolute favorite) Sync flash at 1/1000s and of the very best looking cameras around. Plus they were about 50 million times faster than the Ixus's.

Sony, you might not be best at everything, but you have the biggest balls and push everyone else and always go where no concervative Canon or Nikon man will go. Awesome!!! I've been waiting for FF (digital) compact since, hm, ever?

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
can someone please tell me if i am missing something.here my problem.. sony make a full frame small camera great wonderful but they make it a fixed lens whats the point in that?and the price is ridiculous!!! if they made it interchangeable lenses then yeah the price would be justifiable to me this is a big massive FAIL.

Upvote 0
bornshooter said:
can someone please tell me if i am missing something.here my problem.. sony make a full frame small camera great wonderful but they make it a fixed lens whats the point in that?and the price is ridiculous!!! if they made it interchangeable lenses then yeah the price would be justifiable to me this is a big massive FAIL.
The target audience of this camera is quite small according to the specs and price. IMO it's more like a concept than an actual product, it sends a message to Canon&Nikon that you guys are too afraid to try something special but I'm not.
I think the eos-M is an epic fail, it looks like a generation behind others and it's not even on the market yet. It may sell well due to its brand but as a product it's so mediocre to be honest.

Sonyalfarumors.com mentioned a few times that a full frame nex will be announced next year

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
simonxu11 said:
bornshooter said:
The target audience of this camera is quite small according to the specs and price. IMO it's more like a concept than an actual product, it sends a message to Canon&Nikon that you guys are too afraid to try something special but I'm not.
I think the eos-M is an epic fail, it looks like a generation behind others and it's not even on the market yet. It may sell well due to its brand but as a product it's so mediocre to be honest.

Sonyalfarumors.com mentioned a few times that a full frame nex will be announced next year
i agree with the eos -m but this sony rx1 could be amazing if they just made it with interchangeable lenses paying that much and being limited to that focal length is just wrong.I love street photography and it would be good for that but not at that price should be under £1000 uk pounds no more.

Upvote 0
I puzzle a bit over the self-interested marketing expert commentators here declaring this an "epic fail" and other such jargon-driven nonsense.

While I'm not putting $3000 into the product myself, I know some established street photographers of high reputation who will if it's fast enough (speaking shutter lag, not AV). I can also see some serious landscapers, cityscapers, seascapers, etc. going for it if the lens will support their needs.

From a marketing standpoint, it's a niche product. At the moment, it's unique and that will carry the experiment perhaps to small profitability. It's going to be interesting to watch. Personally, I may rent one if Roger decides to offer it. Yes, hint.

For those without long memory of the photography equipment world, we have a limitless history of companies throwing something out there to see what will happen. Hell, I've got a Pentax 110-film SLR, for example. This happens less often now that MBA types run most companies by numbers -- but I sure celebrate Sony for putting it out there.

And who knows, maybe they ran their numbers right, and this thing will somehow succeed. I think it's worth cheering.

Upvote 0
bornshooter said:
simonxu11 said:
bornshooter said:

i agree with the eos -m but this sony rx1 could be amazing if they just made it with interchangeable lenses paying that much and being limited to that focal length is just wrong.I love street photography and it would be good for that but not at that price should be under £1000 uk pounds no more.
Fiji's x100 with its apsc sensor was announced @ 1000 uk pounds, so there's no way a full frame sensor with that zeiss lens should be under 1000 pounds. But I think it should be priced around $2000, $2800 is jut too steep.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.