Sony RX1 Full Frame sensor Compact leaked photos / rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott

I'm actually really excited about this camera. If the auto-focus is fast and accurate and the manual controls are snappy (unlike most P&S) I can see myself getting one of these.
I'm not at all afraid of having a 35mm fixed lens stuck on the camera as my 5dii and Leica M6 pretty much have that focal length attached at all times.
This could well be the camera that goes EVERYWHERE with me...

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
Albi86 said:
Sample images:

http://www.sony.jp/cyber-shot/lineup/DSC-RX1_photo-sample.html

They look amazing to me. The Zeiss lens has a very nice bokeh and color rendition.

Shutter speed for the first photo was 2 sec and 3.2 sec for second photo. Even fastest shutter speed used was 1/25. I agree the photos are nice, but looks like they had the camera on tripod with likely very careful and deliberate technique. I would like to see more real-world, hand-held shots myself ;D

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Viggo said:
Sony must done something right to already have people comparing it directly to the 5d3 ::)
So, if I compare it to my disposable 35mm Kodak, what does that tell you about Sony?
Anyone can compare any product to any other.

I gave my five-year-old niece one of those Kodak "disposable" cameras at Thanksgiving to take pictures of the day. She did a pretty good job, and the prints are surprisingly good.

Upvote 0
E

EvilTed

Comparing a 5DMK3 + 40mm pancake to this is ridiculous.
It's about size, weight and stealth if you are into street photography.

I have a 5DMK3 + 40mm pancake and it's just too heavy and too damn obvious compared to my Fuji X-Pro 1.
Use the right tool for the right job.

Me, I prefer the Fuji and have ordered a Leica M.
The Canon I'll keep for taking pictures of my kid ;)

ET

Upvote 0
EvilTed said:
It's about size, weight and stealth if you are into street photography.

Your opinion about the "right tool" for street photography is your opinion about what works for you and you alone.

There are as many "right tools" and different ways of doing street photography as there are people with visual recording devices.

Your way of doing street photography is not my way of doing street photography. Please do not make such statements.

Upvote 0
tron said:
Albi86 said:
Concerning the price, I think many of you forget there's a Zeiss 35mm f/2 in front of that tiny thing :)
It's a Zeiss that costs 800-1000 tops!

What I heard though, is that's no Zeiss lens, it's a design collaboration between Zeiss and Sony, Sony made the lens with some Zeiss expertise, or just enough support to justify slapping a Zeiss logo on the thing. If it were actually a Zeiss lens, the RX1 wouldn't be $2800

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
RLPhoto said:
This is just awesome, I applaud you sony.

+1 Absolutely. SOny might have some odd "standards" but they showed a long time ago that they are SERIOUS about digital photography, and back in the day I had ALL the dsc-p# cameras from Sony, (P10 my absolute favorite) Sync flash at 1/1000s and of the very best looking cameras around. Plus they were about 50 million times faster than the Ixus's.

Sony, you might not be best at everything, but you have the biggest balls and push everyone else and always go where no concervative Canon or Nikon man will go. Awesome!!! I've been waiting for FF (digital) compact since, hm, ever?

Glad to see that there are number of people who understand what it is all about in general prospective.
It was my dream as well to have compact high quality FF mirrorless camera with one of the best lenses so that I could always carry it with me. And I am very glad to see that achievement from Sony. It could be very good complement to the 1Dx – I can use 1Dx for specialty shoots using different telephoto lenses and RX1 as second camera with normal fixed lens – so I do not need to bother to change lenses on 1Dx when I need wider angle lens and high quality image.
To my view this is kind of conceptual camera to show what Sony is capable of now and I think their goal is to show their technologies in action thus putting milestone in digital cameras evolution. Sometimes this is more important than making profit at the very beginning. Similar to what goldminers were doing in Alaska at earlier times - putting marks that they reach this territory ahead of others and this is their territory. Also to do all that in compact body is much bigger challenge and costs more than to do the same in the body which is twice or even more bigger . Also big challenge is lens optic design for short distance between lens and FF sensor so that all light is fully captured by sensor pixels - to ensure that light rays are fully orthogonal to the sensor surface at any pixel location on the sensor. And for faster lenses this is much more difficult than for slow lens. Also this is lens with lens shutter - which is more common for MF lenses than for FF lenses (e.g. Schneider Kreuznach leaf shutter lenses for Phase One 645dDF+ system http://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems/Leaf-Shutter-Lenses.aspx). Only this one is a big difference itself . Also low light performance should be at least 1/3 better than for new Sony A99 as there is no translucent mirror between lens and sensor.
For me they just captured industry trend (pretty much that is something that you could “feel” in the air) at early stage and embodied that in RX1. And long term evolution vector is towards mirrorless FF cameras with high quality phase detection AF directly on the sensor. Technologies are already here. It is now just matter of time and money to put all that in production. I am sure that in some near future we will see number FF mirrorless compact cameras having phase detection AF points all over the frame and not only in central area of the frame.
I think that in some time we will see pretty interesting review of this camera from Michael Reichmann on www.luminous-landscape.com. There is also already one availble on dpreview - http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx1/

Upvote 0
this may not be the most objective site but it's worth a deeper look though (is there anybody objective out there?): http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/11/21/the-sony-rx1-digital-camera-review-part-1-an-intro-to-a-compact-powerhouse/

The RX1 is not about instead, it's about as well. I very much enjoy using the 5 D and the shorty-fourty. But to me it goes without saying the RX1 would be a much better choice for street photography. It escapes my why people are that much up in arms about the anouncement of the RX1. There's no obligation to spend 3k and buy one but one could feel tempted to ponder on why Canon shows this conspicuous lack of innovation.

Upvote 0
Downloaded and checked RX1 raw files from DPReview - image IQ is so good – nothing comparable I believe in such form factor and beating out many FF DSLRs.
Here are snapshots for iso50, iso1600 and iso3200 from Capture One screen using Win7 snippet tool (C1 7.01 already has preliminary support for RX1). No adjustements - C1 default setting.

Attachments

• Sony DCS-RX1_ISO50.JPG
    Sony DCS-RX1_ISO50.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 679
  • Sony DCS-RX1_ISO50_crop100%.JPG
    Sony DCS-RX1_ISO50_crop100%.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 665
  • Sony DCS-RX1_ISO1600_crop100%.JPG
    Sony DCS-RX1_ISO1600_crop100%.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 661
  • Sony DCS-RX1_ISO3200_crop100%.JPG
    Sony DCS-RX1_ISO3200_crop100%.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 852
Upvote 0
HarryWintergreen said:
this may not be the most objective site but it's worth a deeper look though (is there anybody objective out there?): http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/11/21/the-sony-rx1-digital-camera-review-part-1-an-intro-to-a-compact-powerhouse/
<...>
Thanks, very interesting article.
Author is right telling that "It is REVOLUTIONARY instead of EVOLUTIONARY".
This is what I was meaning in my post telling that they are putting milestone in digital cameras evolution process. Somthing drastically different and starting point of new path in cameras evolution. Step up from what we have now on the market

Upvote 0
E

EvilTed

distant.star

Whatever!

The point I'm trying to make is that people are immediately dissing this camera because it is not a Canon or they are saying "I could do this with my Canon XXX".
Yes you could but you are missing the point.
There is no Canon full frame mirrorless and the only mirrorless they have released to date is apparently not that good.

The only other full frame mirror less camera on the market currently is the Leica M9.
It is smaller, lighter and when paired with good Leica glass, has arguably better IQ than anything Canon can muster.

A good, small, light FF Sony paired with good Zeiss glass may make an ideal competitor to a Leica M9 for a fraction of the cost (A Leica M9 + Sumicron 35mm F/2 will set you back $10K).

Go read CR guys review of it here and his opinions about why he feels the M9 makes a better street camera than a Canon DSLR...

http://www.canonrumors.com/reviews/leica-m9-a-second-opinion/

Then leave your DSLR at home and go shooting with a Fuji X-Pro 1 or Leica M on the street for a day and come back and tell me which you prefer...

ET

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.