Sony RX1 Full Frame sensor Compact leaked photos / rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EvilTed

More on the Leica M / Summicron 35/F2 comparison by Digllyod.

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20121011_5-SonyRX1-lens.html.

He seems to feel that spec wise and based upon his experience of the Leica lens that the RX-1 may be a very good deal (if you can live with the fixed lens part).

Personally, I'd get the Leica M until Sony makes a removable lens variant.
This is a similar purchasing decision with Fuji (x100 over XE-1/X-Pro 1).

I prefer the results of no AA filter...

ET

Upvote 0
E

EvilTed

Tran,
The Leica M 240 is the new Leica (people were calling it the M10 before it was released).
24 MP CMOS sensor with no AA filter + live view and focus peaking + external EVF via hot shoe.

The thing is, while high end DSLRs can approach the IQ of the M system, they require careful matching of lens to body.
D800E + Nikon 50mm 1.2 or Zeiss 50 is being touted as "close" to M9 + Summicron 50 but you also have the weight and bulk to consider.

I hate shooting street in dangerous places where Canon or Nikon shouts cop/reporter to the locals and I have to rush shots or get the hell out of the area quickly (and yes, I have used 5D MK3 + 40mm pancake but it is still too awkward for me).
This hasn't happened when I shoot with the Fuji.

If Fuji had a FF equivalent, I'd go with it but right now there is only Leica or this new Sony in the small FF game.

ET

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
EvilTed said:
Tran,
The Leica M 240 is the new Leica (people were calling it the M10 before it was released).
24 MP CMOS sensor with no AA filter + live view and focus peaking + external EVF via hot shoe.

The thing is, while high end DSLRs can approach the IQ of the M system, they require careful matching of lens to body.
D800E + Nikon 50mm 1.2 or Zeiss 50 is being touted as "close" to M9 + Summicron 50 but you also have the weight and bulk to consider.

I hate shooting street in dangerous places where Canon or Nikon shouts cop/reporter to the locals and I have to rush shots or get the hell out of the area quickly (and yes, I have used 5D MK3 + 40mm pancake but it is still too awkward for me).
This hasn't happened when I shoot with the Fuji.

If Fuji had a FF equivalent, I'd go with it but right now there is only Leica or this new Sony in the small FF game.

ET
Whatever suits you. I just mentioned the latest M bodies. I do hope that their shutter is inaudible. I think that was the case with the old ones. But it's just a thought I have no personal experience. An inaudible shutter is very helpful for street photography. I agree that the size factor is important here. Leicas, Fuji X-Pro 1 and the new Sony do indeed have the advantage here. I would prefer the Fuji system for the cheaper price relatively to Leica and the exchangeable lenses relative to Sony. But I guess if Sony looks like a small compact it is even a better stealth camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Nishi Drew said:
tron said:
Albi86 said:
Concerning the price, I think many of you forget there's a Zeiss 35mm f/2 in front of that tiny thing :)
It's a Zeiss that costs 800-1000 tops!

What I heard though, is that's no Zeiss lens, it's a design collaboration between Zeiss and Sony, Sony made the lens with some Zeiss expertise, or just enough support to justify slapping a Zeiss logo on the thing. If it were actually a Zeiss lens, the RX1 wouldn't be $2800

Noooo.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
sanj said:
Nishi Drew said:
tron said:
Albi86 said:
Concerning the price, I think many of you forget there's a Zeiss 35mm f/2 in front of that tiny thing :)
It's a Zeiss that costs 800-1000 tops!

What I heard though, is that's no Zeiss lens, it's a design collaboration between Zeiss and Sony, Sony made the lens with some Zeiss expertise, or just enough support to justify slapping a Zeiss logo on the thing. If it were actually a Zeiss lens, the RX1 wouldn't be $2800

Noooo.
Although I realize that your reasoning is correct (assuming the facts you mentioned) to me it's the other way round. If it's not actually a Zeiss lens then RX1 is not worth $2800.

In fact I believe that it would be hard to sell even at $2000.

But please bear in mind that this is just my subjective speculation that probably has nothing to do with what is going to really happen.
We'll see...

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Cameras are obsoleted in 3-5 years, often sooner. Having a 3K body with fixed lens that will be obsolete in 5 years or less seems like overkill. I'd prefer to buy a good lens that will last for 20 or more years, and a cheap body that can be sold in 4 or 5 years. With Sony's record of poor product support, they will likely walk away from it in three years.
I think this is a very limited product, aimed at those with money to burn.
Mt Spokane: That's what drove me away from Sony some 7 years ago. Started digital photography with a humble DSC-P 30 3.2 MP cam. Moved on to the DSC-F 828. While other Sony's came out they all of a sudden changed their memory cards. So no way to rely on a system here. The R1 was announced as the new big thing and soon forgotten. When I dropped the F 828 I switched to Canon. Nice lenses. Slightly cheaper bodies back in the day (2007 - 30D purchase). So here I am with a 5Diii since past summer and I don't regret it. 8)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
IronChef said:
verysimplejason said:
There should be an RX1 variant with 24-105 F4/F2.8 lens. Add a battery grip like the Fuji XPRO and this would be almost perfect for most usage. The 35mm even if it's F2 isn't that interesting enough for its price of 3K.

A lens like that would be huge and defeats the whole purpose of the camera.
+1 however, the above comment regarding the 35mm f/2 lens is valid. A similarly sized camera with exchangeable lenses though ... ::)

Upvote 0
tron said:
IronChef said:
verysimplejason said:
There should be an RX1 variant with 24-105 F4/F2.8 lens. Add a battery grip like the Fuji XPRO and this would be almost perfect for most usage. The 35mm even if it's F2 isn't that interesting enough for its price of 3K.

A lens like that would be huge and defeats the whole purpose of the camera.
+1 however, the above comment regarding the 35mm f/2 lens is valid. A similarly sized camera with exchangeable lenses though ... ::)

But you also have to consider that it's not just a 35mm f/2. It's probably the best 35 mm f/2. The lens crazy sharp. Sharper than the famed Sigma 35 f/1.4.

Sony_RX1_reso_JPEG_big.jpg

Sigma_A_35_14_AF_MF_Reso_big.jpg

Also the bokeh is butter smooth. Which is hard to achieve on a wide angle lense. http://neilvn.com/tangents/bokeh-sony-rx1-vs-nikon-35mmm-f1-4g/

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.