The Canon EOS R3 shows up for more certifications

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS R3 has appeared for certification in Thailand along with some older Canon accessories. I’m not sure what the Speedlite 600EX II-RX is, as the Speedlite 600EX II-RT exists. There are a lot of older Canon accessories on the certification list below, so it’s probably much ado about nothing.
There is no new information to gather from this certification, but we’ll see the Canon EOS R3 officially announced in September.

certificationR302-728x368.jpg

Canon EOS R3 Specifications:

24mp backside illuminated image sensor
Multi-Controller & Smart Controller
Vari-Angle Touch Screen
NEW accessory shoe
Wifi 5GHz
High speed 30fps electronic shutter with AF/AE tracking + RAW shooting at this speed
AF down to -7.0 EV
8 Stops Coordinated Control IS with Optical IS and In-Body IS
4K Canon Log3​
Oversampling 4K
Internal RAW video...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
24 megapixels are not official yet. If you are wrong again on this one, you will lose a lot of reputation.
So says you. CanonRumors has been far more accurate over the years with the rumored specifications of upcoming products then most other photography rumor sites (looking at you SonyAlpha Rumors). And rumors are only as good as Canon's inability to keep specifications from leaking ahead of a product launch. There's no doubt that Canon done more then usual to keep certain specs of the R3 from leaking ahead of its official full announcement.

And let me just say that the 24MP sensor on the R3 (if that leaked spec turns out to be true) is not a hindrance on the product. The stacked BSI sensor is a new design for Canon, so expecting them to have a super high MP sensor with every other benefit the new sensor design brings is just setting yourself up for disappointment. I would have liked to see a 30MP sensor, but then again the R3 isn't going up against the Sony A1 or Nikon Z9.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
24 megapixels are not official yet. If you are wrong again on this one, you will lose a lot of reputation.

Agreed, doesn't make any sense Canon would hide the MP count for this long, only to underwhelm with 24. Either Canon's marketing is the stupidest in the world, or CR is wrong. I'm betting the latter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Could the exif data 6000 x 4000 be from a M JPG file on a sensor between 30- 45 mp ? The 6000 x 4000 only shows the file dimensions and doesn't indicate whether it's a L or M file, therefor there is no evidence that the R3 has a 24MP sensor , merely it can take an image of dimensions 6000 x 4000

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So says you. CanonRumors has been far more accurate over the years with the rumored specifications of upcoming products then most other photography rumor sites (looking at you SonyAlpha Rumors). And rumors are only as good as Canon's inability to keep specifications from leaking ahead of a product launch. There's no doubt that Canon done more then usual to keep certain specs of the R3 from leaking ahead of its official full announcement.

And let me just say that the 24MP sensor on the R3 (if that leaked spec turns out to be true) is not a hindrance on the product. The stacked BSI sensor is a new design for Canon, so expecting them to have a super high MP sensor with every other benefit the new sensor design brings is just setting yourself up for disappointment. I would have liked to see a 30MP sensor, but then again the R3 isn't going up against the Sony A1 or Nikon Z9.
24Mpx is common res. there are people whom are hoping for higher Mpx i.e. >30 Mpx. For these people, this would be a 'hindrance' if you like. people would rather purchase the R6 plus a grip. the R6 performance for fast action is good. the only advantage the R3 could offer is min rolling shutter effect (if it has a fast stacked BSI sensor like A9) apart from it's physical size and larger battery. for me, the eye scan AF is not an advantage but others may think otherwise.
there's rumours (its a rumour) that the next A9 release would have a 30Mpx sensor. Looking at Sony's trend, they do use same sensor for 2 gen, A9 and A9II used the same and I do expect the 3rd gen to have a new sensor.
I think it'll be a poor decision for Canon to put so much of effort and later finding themselves in a really tight competitive situation if A9III released with 30Mpx, 30 fps etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0