The List of Gear to be Announced in February, Including More Speedlite Information [CR3]

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
I'd actually wondered a while back (and now renewed) why there aren't more flashes with a "pilot" light.

Macro flashes have them - just for usability - to give you an always-on or at least longer-duration focusing and targeting light for your subject.

Could AI bounce be something like an upward-firing LED/array on the top of the head or even a second flash thus eliminating or reducing the need for a pivoting head (less breakable stuff, and probably less bulk - you could pack a small "g-series" popup into the top of a head pretty easily), that is set through "AI options" based on metering the scene?

Could it be a "pilot" light of sorts giving another option for ambient/soft/bounced light and if always-on, give you a chance at composition in a dark-ish space? That might fit the "pro-sumer" mantra a bit. A wedding pro etc wouldn't want the light always on, but the ability to have it fire to add some "bounced fill" might be nice in some spaces.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: UPDATED: The List of Gear to be Announced in February, Including More Speedlite Information [CR3

mb66energy said:
I am planning a 3D printed "protecting bag" version but that needs some time in one piece. Not for the printing but for the construction! But it will do only the port because - as written above - modern cameras can be easily used via the touch screen. And I plan to be free to use the 200D too.

Some folks have already innovated here, but the devil's in the details -- I'm not sure if this has what you need.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outex/clear-outex-housing-waterproof-covers-for-cameras

- A

Upvote 0
Re: UPDATED: The List of Gear to be Announced in February, Including More Speedlite Information [CR3

ahsanford said:
mb66energy said:
I am planning a 3D printed "protecting bag" version but that needs some time in one piece. Not for the printing but for the construction! But it will do only the port because - as written above - modern cameras can be easily used via the touch screen. And I plan to be free to use the 200D too.

Some folks have already innovated here, but the devil's in the details -- I'm not sure if this has what you need.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outex/clear-outex-housing-waterproof-covers-for-cameras

- A

Thanks for the link!

The problem with these solutions is that there is always some limitation e.g. using the 5.6 400 or the some macro lens with additional light. My experiences using 3D printing are getting more flexibility to create (for me) really useful products.

And there is another reason: Constructing solutions and see them in work is so satisfying ... :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
mb66energy said:
And there is another reason: Constructing solutions and see them in work is so satisfying ... :)

That's why I design things for a living. It makes me happy.

- A

Great to hear about your profession - was always a dream of mine: Photographer or designer - after studying physics to find a way to cancel gravity, but theoretical physics isn't my way and/or gravity is stronger than me.

Now I am a teacher (10...19years old students) and design educational systems combining Arduino + sensor electronics / 3D printing / programming for my use during lessons: If I have some attractive tool in the classroom the noise goes down 10...20dB without any action and it is much easier to explain / visualize physics and mathematics.

The next project is a macro light - if ready and successful I will share information about it! - Michael

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

mb66energy said:
Great to hear about your profession - was always a dream of mine: Photographer or designer - after studying physics to find a way to cancel gravity, but theoretical physics isn't my way and/or gravity is stronger than me.

Now I am a teacher (10...19years old students) and design educational systems combining Arduino + sensor electronics / 3D printing / programming for my use during lessons: If I have some attractive tool in the classroom the noise goes down 10...20dB without any action and it is much easier to explain / visualize physics and mathematics.

The next project is a macro light - if ready and successful I will share information about it! - Michael

Very cool. For me, photography is about stepping away from solution-building, etc. -- fresh air for the mind and all that. So I have to actively resist playing around in CAD, rapid prototyping, etc. to tweak my gear. I'll let the world solve those problems and I'll just buy their stuff on Kickstarter. :D

- A

Upvote 0