Update – Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We are updating our previous Canon EOS R5 Mark II specifications. Some of those things were slightly incorrect, and we can add some context, but have to be a bit vague and not divulge exact claimed numbers. Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications (Rumored) We have talked many times about July events planned for people at Canon

See full article...

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
The number I can find on the interwebs is that the R5 has 15.5ms readout time, the R3 has a 5.5ms readout time, that would put the R5II around 4.3ms. The R3 number matches the flash sync speed of 1/180, 30% improvement gets that up (down?) to 1/235.

The 30fps is a slight let down, I really hoped it would beat the 40fps my R8 can do. But 30fps at 14-bit would still be a massive improvement over the R5!

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
The number I can find on the interwebs is that the R5 has 15.5ms readout time, the R3 has a 5.5ms readout time, that would put the R5II around 4.3ms. The R3 number matches the flash sync speed of 1/180, 30% improvement gets that up (down?) to 1/235.

The 30fps is a slight let down, I really hoped it would beat the 40fps my R8 can do. But 30fps at 14-bit would still be a massive improvement over the R5!
I’d say it’s very likely it will write 14 bit RAW files on electronic shutter, and I hope it does.

While I was wishing they would remove the mechanical shutter, the “traditional” 12fps shutter from the previous R5 sounds realistic to me. Like I said before, it didn’t make sense to me that Canon would invest in further developing the mechanical shutter in this day and age.

Sounds like a very solid camera, similar to the Sony a1, but certainly with improvements.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Glad the readout speed is improved, but I was hoping for a faster ES flash sync speed (at least 1/500).
At least it\'ll have the new hotshoe and the EL5 should have the cycle time to handle use as fill flash with high speed sync.

Guessing that right angle tease has something to do with the EVF?
Either that or Canon is going retro-blocky style.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The lack of a smart controller is sad, and eye-control AF is cool, but I would prefer the other way around. Perhaps Canon may have chosen this route to better segment their cameras. Eye-control AF sounds cooler and is harder for competition to reproduce than the smart controller.

Upvote 0
As always it'll be in the details.. and the details are the last things to come. Crazy readout improvement.

Claimed readout can differ a bit from real world. I do see at CineD they sometimes have different numbers than other places.... but whatever... It's a lot faster.

CineD measures it in video, for photography the situation is different. For example, the R6 can do around 19 ms in photography (with the full 3:2 readout), while only 30 ms (with a 16:9 crop) in video. We have examples like that with stacked cameras too, as both the Z9 and a1 have under 5 ms in photo, but around 15 ms in video, R3 around 5.5 ms in photo and around 10 ms in video if my memory serves me right. I would believe (but that's total guess) that they "underclock" the sensor in video mode due to heat dissipation because the sensor has to run a much longer time than while doing short photo bursts.

Upvote 0
Eye controlled AF is a surprise. I thought that will be reserved for the R3/R1. I guess R3 won\'t have much over the R5II, apart from the ergonomics and bigger battery.
I wonder if the release of the R5 II with such specs at a $4K retail price point will translate into a massive price drop of the R3, maybe $3K for brand new and 2.7K for lightly used, a hair above the current original R5 prices .

Otherwise what's the point of the R3 beyond massive battery size and ergonomics?

The R5 II will probably do to the R3 what the A9 III did to the previous gen of A9 II.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0