UPDATED: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

Re: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

Nininini said:
canuckerfan said:
It should have AF microadjustment right?

well the 70D has it, unless canon has a weird new business startegy of downgrading their cameras lol, yes

his question wasn't silly
the 40D was supposed to have it but they held it back so it could be a 50D sell point, then they removed it from the 60D because they said they wanted to be able to offer it as a 'new' sell point for a future 70D so....

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

neuroanatomist said:
Nininini said:
canuckerfan said:

well the 70D has it, unless canon has a weird new business startegy of downgrading their cameras lol, yes

50D - has AFMA
60D - does not have AFMA
70D - has AFMA

So, while I think the 80D will have it, there is some room for doubt since this feature in the xxD line is a perfect example of that 'weird business strategy' that you're lol'ing about...

not really. the line split with the 60D to the 60D+7D whereas before the 50D was it. the 60D moved more down level. ergonomics changed, CF to SD card, and a mydrid of other features made it closer to the rebel series and made room between in and the 7D series.

Upvote 0

slclick said:
So, asking on a friend's behalf who owns a 60D (300k shots on the sensor), is looking to upgrade and shoots stills only....this is or isn't the path?
It seems safe to say that the new 80d will be a good substitute, surpassing the 60D in all aspects. In fact, the 70D does that already.

Upvote 0

slclick said:
So, asking on a friend's behalf who owns a 60D (300k shots on the sensor), is looking to upgrade and shoots stills only....this is or isn't the path?

Hmm...normally an 80D would be a nice upgrade.

But you mention he only shoots stills. The upgrades in the 70D and now 80D seem to revolve around AF and video.

That's not going to help him much with stills.

Maybe he should also consider the 760D (T6S). If it's the megapixels he wants, that's a nice DSLR and he will save on money and have a lighter and smaller DSLR.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Nininini said:
slclick said:

But you mention he only shoots stills. The upgrades in the 70D and now 80D seem to revolve around AF and video.

Maybe he should also consider the 760D (T6S). If it's the megapixels he wants, that's a nice DSLR and he will save on money and price.

huh?

80D - 100% viewfinder
45 point AF all cross type 27 points f/8.
deeper raw buffer
20mp versus 24mp
possibly ADC based sensor.
timelaps / intervalometer
anti-flicker

Upvote 0

rrcphoto said:
huh?

80D - 100% viewfinder
deeper raw buffer
20mp versus 24mp
anti-flicker

Ok but most of those things on that list are thing you don't need for stills. Why does he need 45 crosstype AF points and a deep raw buffer for stills? Why does he need anti-flicker for stills?

And the T6S is 24MP just like the 80D, so that's not a good argument either.

The viewfinder is a good argument, so it depends on how he feels about that.

read the post, he shoots stills....he doesn't need off-the-wall AF tracking

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Spoken with typical cluelessness. The main target buyer for the 80D is the same as that for the previous xxD models – xxxD owners looking to upgrade. In case it's escaped your attention, there are more xxxD owners out there than all MILCs combined, so it's a pretty large target demographic. Secondarily, it's targeted to owners of older xxD models 40/50/60D).

Right. I'm a happy 60D owner and to me the specs look quite promising. I don't need a 7DII (AF and build quality) and I'm still contemplating if I should invest in FF (the price of a good wide-angle and a standard zoom will hurt). In the end I might get a 80D, if it delivers significantly better DR and high ISO performance.

Regards,
Oliver

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany

rrcphoto said:
Nininini said:
slclick said:

Maybe he should also consider the 760D (T6S). If it's the megapixels he wants, that's a nice DSLR and he will save on money and price.

huh?

80D - 100% viewfinder
deeper raw buffer
20mp versus 24mp
anti-flicker

+1

else:
1/3 steps in ISO/exposure
Micro adjustments possible in AF
Better overall build quality and weather sealing + better handling with bigger lenses
Dual Pixel AF
etc...

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Nininini said:
canuckerfan said:

50D - has AFMA
60D - does not have AFMA
70D - has AFMA

So, while I think the 80D will have it, there is some room for doubt since this feature in the xxD line is a perfect example of that 'weird business strategy' that you're lol'ing about...

6D is the only "oddball" in Canon's lineup that starts with an even number and still has AFMA, based on the pattern "starts with even no AFMA" then the 80D will not have it ;) ;) ;)

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System

Looks compelling enough for me to finally retire Ye Olde 40D, my last cropper (yes, Sony fanboys, Canon doesn't force us to buy every xxD release). I hope the Rebel SL2/200D/KissX8 gets most of these upgrades later this year after almost buying the current SL1/100D after staying away from the Rebel-class since 2006; it was that impressive for me considering how much Canon miniaturized it.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015

kphoto99 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Nininini said:
canuckerfan said:

50D - has AFMA
60D - does not have AFMA
70D - has AFMA

6D is the only "oddball" in Canon's lineup that is an even number and still has AFMA, based on the pattern "even no AFMA" then the 80D will not have it ;) ;) ;)
I shall note that 50 and 70 are both even numbers. ;) ;) :p

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Nininini said:
rrcphoto said:
huh?

80D - 100% viewfinder
deeper raw buffer
20mp versus 24mp
anti-flicker

Ok but most of those things on that list are thing you don't need for stills. Why does he need 45 crosstype AF points and a deep raw buffer for stills? Why does he need anti-flicker for stills?

well, they certainly aren't for video .. so what else does a DSLR shoot nowadays.
45 point af is most certainly a wider spread of AF points.

I assume he meant he doesn't shoot video.

and if so, all of these features are a benefit to a stills only DSLR.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Proscribo said:
kphoto99 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Nininini said:
canuckerfan said:

50D - has AFMA
60D - does not have AFMA
70D - has AFMA

6D is the only "oddball" in Canon's lineup that is an even number and still has AFMA, based on the pattern "even no AFMA" then the 80D will not have it ;) ;) ;)
I shall note that 50 and 70 are both even numbers. ;) ;) :p

#mathishardletsgomakecookiesfortheboys

Upvote 0

Nininini said:
rrcphoto said:
huh?

80D - 100% viewfinder
deeper raw buffer
20mp versus 24mp
anti-flicker

I keep re-reading your post , looking for a <sarcasm> tag...

Please tell me you're not serious when you say cross-type AF points, buffer depth and anti-flicker aren't features for stills shooting! :eek:

Unless when you say "stills" you mean the subject is still (i.e. "still life", not moving). In case it's a language barrier thing, most people consider "stills" to mean single images captured with each release of the shutter (as opposed to video). Stills in this sense can be images of fast-moving subjects (e.g. flying birds where AF-tracking, FPS and buffer depth are critical) or completely static subjects (e.g. landscape).

Upvote 0