UPDATED: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

axtstern

EOS M(ediochre)
Jun 12, 2012
Re: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

Not to be a jackass, but who is the target buyer for this?

Well me for example.
The guys who ran arround with the 30D, 60D etc..
The guys who own a 5D3 but discover that their camera bag with a 5D, 24-70 and 100-400 is a very bulky and heavy thing comapered to a 80D with the 17-55 and 70-200
Also those People with small Hands who do not like the 7D ergonomics
Those who Need to swivel the Screen or believe that a System with DPAF but no Touchscreen is a waste.

And in my Situation:
The 100% viewfinder + 45 AF fields + DPAF means I get an semi-pro camera which allows me to choose a live view AF experience as bad as my M3 or a viefinder AF as good or better as Canon ever offered for that Money.
Ah and I can use my very heavy Investment on lenses now on a crop Body which uses a Megapixel Count that drove me just two years ago to belch out a lot of bucks for the 5D3.

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Gatekeeper to the Small World
Feb 12, 2015

I'm only concerned with ISO noise performance and dynamic range because I'm primarily a macro photographer. Interested in seeing how the 80D's sensor stacks up against the 70D.

As for the "you'd be better off with insert some other camera brand here" comments I've lost count of the number of people who have asked me for camera advice because they want to shoot with Canon's MPE-65mm macro lens. Plenty of Nikon shooters who are closet Canon macro photographers :)

Speaking of macro: Has anyone heard any rumors of an MT-24EX macro twin flash refresh?

Upvote 0

An annouce with such features would be very interesting, if it was serious M body...

24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Continuous shooting 7 fps
Continuous shooting with live view 5 fps (AF tracking)
AF 45 points (all points cross type)
7560 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
Viewfinder has 100% field of view
3 inches vari-angle LCD monitor, touchscreen
Built-in Wi-Fi, NFC

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

as so often with Canon: too little, too late. This should have been the 70D or even better, the 60D. Vari-angle touchscreen, decent AF module, WiFi, GPS, NFC built in and hopefully a halfway competitive sensor. Would have competed well against Nikon D7000/1000/7200.

In 2016? Just another boring old mirrorslapper. :p
And yes, the same specs in an EOS-M4 would be fairly nice. :)

Upvote 0

axtstern said:

Well me for example.
The guys who ran arround with the 30D, 60D etc..
The guys who own a 5D3 but discover that their camera bag with a 5D, 24-70 and 100-400 is a very bulky and heavy thing comapered to a 80D with the 17-55 and 70-200
Those who Need to swivel the Screen or believe that a System with DPAF but no Touchscreen is a waste.

And in my Situation:
The 100% viewfinder + 45 AF fields + DPAF means I get an semi-pro camera which allows me to choose a live view AF experience as bad as my M3 or a viefinder AF as good or better as Canon ever offered for that Money.
Ah and I can use my very heavy Investment on lenses now on a crop Body which uses a Megapixel Count that drove me just two years ago to belch out a lot of bucks for the 5D3.

Interesting. You're the second person in as many posts interesting in switching from a 5D3 to an 80D.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015

AvTvM said:
as so often with Canon: too little, too late. This should have been the 70D or even better, the 60D. Vari-angle touchscreen, decent AF module, WiFi, GPS, NFC built in and hopefully a halfway competitive sensor. Would have competed well against Nikon D7000/1000/7200.

In 2016? Just another boring old mirrorslapper. :p
And yes, the same specs in an EOS-M4 would be fairly nice. :)
Well this beats Nikon's D7200 so I wouldn't say it's too little at all (sensor performance is a mystery for now).

Agree with the M4 part though. They could split the pixels once more tho to get "quad pixel AF" ie. cross-type af at every point. :p My girlfriend currently uses oly E-M10 so it would be quite nice if she was able to use my EF-lenses in a canon (mirrorless) body. M3 would otherwise be okayish, but it doesn't have EVF + EF(-S) lenses doesn't work so well on it AFAIK.

Upvote 0

schmidtfilme

Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
Sep 5, 2012
Nuremberg
www.35photo.de

VirtualRain said:
axtstern said:

Well me for example.
The guys who ran arround with the 30D, 60D etc..m

And in my Situation:

Interesting. You're the second person in as many posts interesting in switching from a 5D3 to an 80D.

Too be clear. I am switching nothing here. I love my 5D and will keep it as my main camera for photography. I also own a 100D and a Sony A6000. The Sony is great from a autofocus in video mode perspective but doesn't have a mic in and the audio is just awful. The 100D is great for audio but does focus hunting during video recording. Not working either. The A6300 would be an option to me but from a price perspective and the lens choices and that I had bad experiences in the past with Sony in regards to their quality and service and also I like to continue to invest in great canon optics keeps me from buying the A6300 and looking at the 80D instead

Upvote 0

expatinasia said:
MayaTlab said:
Excited to see that Canon has diligently and coherently taken care that moving between 45 AF points won't be a nuisance... or not.

Agreed, I was surprised by the lack of a joystick but maybe that is normal for this series.
Canon does this to make sure that there is quite a bit of differentiation between the high end models and mid/low models.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

VirtualRain said:
But does any of this matter to the buyer of these cameras... Which I still don't understand who is the target for this? Or put another way, what kind of photographer is interested in the 80D today?

Met a group of people attending a photo course the other Sunday. Lots of cameras in this range (just a few with more expensive ones, some with less expensive ones). They were people interested in truly learning phtography, "advanced" course after the "beginners" one, not interested in smartphones for casual shooting, but many not willingly to spend starting at $1500+ for body and lenses - not everybody is so committed (or so GAS victim) to spend thousands to own the "very best" because of very high requirements (real or not).

Thereby, yes, there's a market for this camera range, maybe many users of this forum may look at it with a little disdain, but we have to understand many of us are pampered by being the owner of expensive equipment not every wants or can afford.

Upvote 0

MintChocs said:
expatinasia said:
MayaTlab said:
Excited to see that Canon has diligently and coherently taken care that moving between 45 AF points won't be a nuisance... or not.

Agreed, I was surprised by the lack of a joystick but maybe that is normal for this series.
Canon does this to make sure that there is quite a bit of differentiation between the high end models and mid/low models.

Perhaps, though the 50D had a joystick. Not sure about the other models. Makes sense to have a joystick so you can toggle between AF points more easily.

Upvote 0

expatinasia said:
MayaTlab said:

To be fair the 60D was a clean break from the 50D and the line was split between the 60D and the 7D. So from a historical point of view it's normal.

But you don't design cameras because of historical designs and lineups. You design a camera so that everything you put on a spec sheet is matched by a coherent controlling scheme. Such as, for example, giving a camera great video AF, and a touch screen. That's coherent. Giving a camera 45 AF points (or even just a handful of very usable off-centre AF points !), and no proper control to move between all those points, it's incoherent. Canon designers aren't idiots, if you asked them to find a way to put a joystick, a 7DII styled lever, a properly placed front Fn button, within the same body size / space, they would be able to do so.

The only reason Canon does this is, of course, because they believe they wouldn't sell any 7DII otherwise. "Believe", because I'm pretty sure they've never made a methodologically sound evaluation of how this constant software or light hardware crippling really affects their bottom line (if Canon's surveys are like Nikon surveys... they're a joke). And anyway, there's plenty to differentiate the 7DII from what we know about the 80D (for example, the metering sensor will make ITR difficult on the 80D).

Upvote 0

dufflover said:
So a drop in regular FPS? hmm that definitely sinks it for me.
No. CR messed up the post. It's 7 FPS viewfinder shooting and 5 FPS liveview DPAF AIS shooting.

24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Continuous shooting 7 fps
Continuous shooting with live view 5 fps (AF tracking)
AF 45 points (all points cross type)
7560 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
ISO range: 100-16,000
Viewfinder has 100% field of view
3 inches vari-angle LCD monitor, touchscreen
Video: full HD 60fps
Time-lapse movie
HDR
Creative filters
Built-in Wi-Fi, NFC
Remote control from smartphone

Upvote 0