*UPDATED* Is This The Canon EOS M5?

Nov 4, 2011
well, if you prefer, call it not a *pancake*, but a *stack* ;D
EF-M 85/2.4 STM IS 8)

Of course, we are talking AUTOFOCUS lenses, not manual old clunkers or aperture rings ...

Pentax does it. http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/telephoto/
If Canon were SMART, they should follow. :)

APS-C (crop 1.5x) 70mm, f/2.4, D x L: 63 x 26mm, 131 grams
img-smcpentax-fa77.jpg

Full Frame 135 (36x24mm sensor), 77mm f/1.8, D x L 64 x 48 mm, 270 grams (including unnecessary aperture ring :p)
img-smcpentax-fa77.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Haydn1971 said:
AvTvM said:
I doubt, f/1.4 lenses could be made "good, small and affordable" enough to somehow fit into EF-M line ...

Samyang seem to be able to build good manual lenses at f1.2 at the right size for EF-M, so I'm not entirely convinced that Canon couldn't do f1.4 for EF-M, the market is perhaps too small globally for such thing.

Take a read of Dustin's excellent reviews on the Samyang lenses...

http://dustinabbott.net/2016/03/rokinon-50mm-f1-2-as-umc-review/

the last piece of gear on earth *I would buy* is a f/1.2 crop lens with manual focus. No way! ::)

That Rokinon 50/1.2 weights in at 385 grams and is D X L 67,5 x 74 mm. It weighs 1.5x times as much and is longer than the combination of the wonderful, optically excellent, fully FF-capable and dirt-cheap Canon EF 50/1.8 *with EF-M/EF adapter [D x L 69.2 x 67.3 mm]. I will take f/1.8 with AF any day over f/1.2 without AF. And for my use, DOF is more than shallow enough at f/1.8, often I stop it down to f/2.8.

I have the EF 50/1.8 STM and use it sometimes on my M / 1st gen in small stage concerts. Combo has a very manageable size, weight and handling. AF of course is rather slow and cumbersome in low light, but that's M's fault, not lens or adapter.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AvTvM said:
the last piece of gear on earth *I would buy* is a f/1.2 crop lens with manual focus. No way! ::)

That Rokinon 50/1.2 weights in at 385 grams and is D X L 67,5 x 74 mm. It weighs 1.5x times as much and is longer than the combination of the wonderful, optically excellent, fully FF-capable and dirt-cheap Canon EF 50/1.8 *with EF-M/EF adapter [D x L 69.2 x 67.3 mm]. I will take f/1.8 with AF any day over f/1.2 without AF. And for my use, DOF is more than shallow enough at f/1.8, often I stop it down to f/2.8.

I have the EF 50/1.8 STM and use it sometimes on my M / 1st gen in small stage concerts. Combo has a very manageable size, weight and handling. AF of course is rather slow and cumbersome in low light, but that's M's fault, not lens or adapter.

All this talk of 50 primes has got me hungry.

- A

Attachments

• 50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 635
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AvTvM said:
ahsanford said:
All this talk of 50 primes has got me hungry.

Want to guess, which 50/1.4 Canon makes first? EF or EF-M ? Extra points, if you guess the correct year/s too. :p ;D

If EF-M gets a Canon-made 50 f/1.4 (even without USM or IS) before the venerable EF 50 f/1.4 USM gets replaced, I will sell all my gear and go live in a teepee in Lapland.

- A

Attachments

• 1a6v7h.jpg
    1a6v7h.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 606
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
AvTvM said:
well, if you prefer, call it not a *pancake*, but a *stack* ;D
EF-M 85/2.4 STM IS 8)

Of course, we are talking AUTOFOCUS lenses, not manual old clunkers or aperture rings ...

Pentax does it. http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/telephoto/
If Canon were SMART, they should follow. :)

APS-C (crop 1.5x) 70mm, f/2.4, D x L: 63 x 26mm, 131 grams
img-smcpentax-fa77.jpg

Full Frame 135 (36x24mm sensor), 77mm f/1.8, D x L 64 x 48 mm, 270 grams (including unnecessary aperture ring :p)
img-smcpentax-fa77.jpg

The lens you want Canon to copy does have an aperture ring and uses clunky old screw drive (from the camera body) for AF.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
crashpc said:
It would be very nice to have fast nativ glass from 10mm to 50mm, but pat thisf FL, I would not mind to use EF glass really.

+1. Yep. Somewhere north of perhaps 85mm, the small size upside of native EF-M glass on the aggregate size of the rig is lost and you might as well bolt on a fully-featured EF lens.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Sporgon said:
The lens you want Canon to copy does have an aperture ring and uses clunky old screw drive (from the camera body) for AF.

oops, sorry! wrong picture for the first Pentax lens. Should be this one ...

HD PENTAX-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited (APS-C)
img-hdpentax-da-70.jpg

Pentax 77/1.8 has an aperture ring. Not needed on Canon of course. Would save another 30 grams and 2 bucks. Plastics barrel would be fine as well. And STM AF drive, of course. No screwdriver needed. ;D

That Pentax 77mm/2.4 has a tiny 49mm filter thread! An EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM could come with a 58mm filter thread, have brilliant IQ and would be fully in line with current EF-M lenses (all have same outer diameter).
That would be SMART, Canon. :)

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
AvTvM said:

perhaps, but it's not as easy as you make it out to be.

for starters, they are working with a K mount registration distance which is even more than the EF mount.

secondly, the optics of those lenses are pentax's own. it's unlikely canon has similar patents so just because Pentax did it, doesn't mean canon to do it.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
AvTvM said:
Sporgon said:

oops, sorry! wrong picture for the first Pentax lens. Should be this one ...

HD PENTAX-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited (APS-C)
img-hdpentax-da-70.jpg

Pentax 77/1.8 has an aperture ring. Not needed on Canon of course. Would save another 30 grams and 2 bucks. Plastics barrel would be fine as well. And STM AF drive, of course. No screwdriver needed. ;D

That Pentax 77mm/2.4 has a tiny 49mm filter thread! An EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM could come with a 58mm filter thread, have brilliant IQ and would be fully in line with current EF-M lenses (all have same outer diameter).
After adding on the length of the "adapter". it will not be that small.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
unfocused said:
Just skimming through the comments thus far, it is safe to assume that when "stupid Canon" releases a camera that is not a "mirror slapper" it still won't make people happy.

absolutely correct! It needs to be a fully competitive, kick-ass mirrorless camera and system. And Canon should just build 3 variations to satisfy - nearly? - everybody:
* as small and powerful as possible without video ... for myself
* some stills capability and full-blown 4k video, peaking, zebras, microphone jacks, C-log, S-Log, 101 codecs ... for the video folks
* and one version "with everything" in it in a Texas size body ... for Americans with big hands.
Simple, Canon!
;D

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
AvTvM said:
unfocused said:
Just skimming through the comments thus far, it is safe to assume that when "stupid Canon" releases a camera that is not a "mirror slapper" it still won't make people happy.

absolutely correct! It needs to be a fully competitive, kick-ass mirrorless camera and system. And Canon should just build 3 variations to satisfy - nearly? - everybody:
* as small and powerful as possible without video ... for myself
* some stills capability and full-blown 4k video, peaking, zebras, microphone jacks, C-log, S-Log, 101 codecs ... for the video folks
* and one version "with everything" in it in a Texas size body ... for Americans with big hands.
Simple, Canon!
;D

not sure why people think canon can easily do 4K video.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
rrcphoto said:

Whether it is done 'easily' or not, Canon do need to start keeping up with the Jones.

It will be the odd one out of this list of Companies with non-FF 4K bodies - Sony, Samgung, Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus (soon). Reasonably priced too (i.e. don't require a pro's budget)

In this day and age, and in view of that list of competitors, there is absolutely no reason why someone shouldn't have a realistic expectation that a market leader like Canon should be on that list, given it has plenty of other 4K products and experience.

Of course 4K isn't high on everyone's requirements. But for those like me where it where it is, Canon's lack of reasonably priced 4K cameras leaves them scratching their head.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
AvTvM said:
rrcphoto said:

if Sony, Pany and others can do it, why should know-it-all-best Canon not be able to? Were in late 2016, not 2006.

canon's camera DiGiC's are lagging behind the times. I'm not even sure it's something that is easily correctable without major architecture changes with DiGiC. TBH.

the last there was any mention of canon's internal DiGiC they were based upon Ti architecture, which is still at 1080 for internal video.

it's why for instance the 4K and the 1080p in the 1DX and the 5D are distinctly different in terms of codecs and pipelining. canon "hacked" in 4K.

correcting this a bit: TI can process 4K .. however the power envelope doesn't seem that great, as their solution kits are all requiring heat sinks and fans to dissipate heat.

It could be that canon has to move to another ARM supplier and DSP supplier to get efficient h.264/5 processing on their SoC's and I'm sure that's not exactly "an easy" task.

However with 8K support needed before 2020, maybe canon is skipping 4k entirely from a urgency point of view? who knows.

Upvote 0

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
hachu21 said:
riker said:
OMG nooooooooo.
WTF?!

Maybe Canon will go the route they followed with the GxX line : 1 body small (G7X/G9X), 1 body more ergo oriented with a nice EVF (G5X).

Meaning, the M3 could still get an update even if the M5 is released.

May these words be of the prophet within you.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:

if Sony, Pany and others can do it, why should know-it-all-best Canon not be able to? Were in late 2016, not 2006.
[/quote]

Sony cannot do it. (in m3 discussion here). The Sony camera that has the same size and weight.

-A6300.

Which offers 4K video. Sony engineers were instructed by the marketing team to simply sensor to read full 4K and compress it to H.264 regardless of how the hardware can handle that amount of power. The hardware, cannot. The hardware fries up. Is that a story of a successful ''Sony can do 4K so why Canon don't?''.

No, Sony cannot. They have at most a beta experimental mode for 4K that cannot be used in any serious shooting, and the bigger problem is that whilst doing so, they made aweful 1080p. So with the belived almighty sony video champ, when yoy actually go out and shoot with it, you can't use 4K for it's un-managed heat generation, and the reliable mode is absolutely horrendous (they d90 video, a6000 HD is MUCH better). So you end up with a camera that can't shoot video!

-Panasonic and other m43s companies have much, smaller sensors. The GH4 video champ has a chip to read and write that's a quarter of a 5D size chip, yet people wonder why can panaonic do it and 5D can't. And even further, the panasonic takes a crop of that small sensor even further for 4K!

-The current examples shown by all camera manufacturers prove one thing: 4K is a major heat problem, proportional to sensor size and camera size/venting,

4K can be ok with a m43s 2.3x croo in a larg DSLR sized body. GH4

4K is NOT ok with a small mirrorless APS-C body. Sony proves that. And Canon publicly stated that the implementation of 4K is resrticted by heat management and we need to work on that (interview with Masaya Maedya almost a year before 5DIV was announced)

4K FF in a large 1DC/1Dx body is ok (ok meaning absolute, zero glith reliability).

Not so ok in small mirrorless cameras or DSLRs: (NIKON has to take an aps-c crop on the D5 (And it's a 1D size body). Sony has to take an APS-C crop also in the a7rii, (but keeps a very primitive line skipped FF 4k mode) and the cameras overheat seriously in 4k.

People ask why Sony 1'' rx1000 can do 4k and Canon g7x can't, don't realize it shoots 5 minutes and cools for 5 to 10 minutes to take another shot). Don't just compare a spec line, USE IT AND SEE IF IT WORKS.

Point is, if you look at all the world's camera manufacturers, 4K heat is a real crippling thing. And if you're a company that doesn't introduce a feature until it's 100% reliable, then you keep waiting and making technological advances to solve the problem, or simply make a side linr of 4K cameras with fans and active cooling.

****A worthy note. The ONLY company, in the ENTIRE world of video production, that could solve 4K problem coming off large chip in a small camera is wait for it,

SAMSUNG!

NX1 takes a semi 8K sensor readout (!!!!!) (30.1 mp) and downscales it to 4K in-camera, in real time, Full APS-C sensor, zero cropm and compress to a demanding codec (h.264), all without giving a hint of failure even under Middle East frying weather. So hat's off to Samung for being the first company to do that. This capability (large sensor downscale to 4k and compress that huge data to HEVC or send out to HDMI at 4:2:2 is why cinema cameras are so large and require running fans and even water cooling, yet Samsung seems to have neated a weatger sealed tiny package that can do it! I think it's most likely due to their advanced technological know-how from phones and other devices?

This was just a piece of info.

Another piece of info, Canon will not make 4K video either crop or 4k unlss it's absolutely reliable and can be used just as is. Until then they'll continue pushing FULL HD cameras.

This is the only feature Canon is always accused of crippling but actually is not. They can't do it.

Do they cripple and withhold other features, ABSOLUTELY. I want Zebras and peaking in a large EVF in my M5 with dual slots and fast buffer to keep up with DPAF ecosystem. But no, Canon wants me to only take a smallish EVF without peaking and a single slow SD card slot. I want a full swivle LCD , but no, Canon wants me to get only small vertical movements. I want C-Log even at HD. But no, you don't get that. OK I want the XLR module of the XC15 to work on my m5 to shoot good HD video with high-end sound like Sony offers with their XLR module, but no, you only get a 3.5mm input with 2008 5d2 preamp noise. Lots of crippling is going on, but 4k isn't one of them.

Let's hope they don't cripple DR (by using the Rebel 24mp Hybrid AF III chip vs the 80D 24mp DPAF chip, which are similar but the later has a huge advantage in dynamic range and a good improvement in AF). Since this would be my landscape camera (with manual glass) and my social portrait camera (with the 50mm 1.8 STM) I really hope they go with the 80D chip so I could push up shadows better (a weakness of all my current Canon cameras, gorgeous mids and highs range but sea of red noise down there). I don't want to be facing that any more.

Something i would really appreciate is a 50mm IS EF-M. Or any stabilized primes for that matter. Because m3 has AWESOME electronic video stabilizstion that works magic, nothing like any electronic system I"ve seen, and when combined with an IS lens it's a mindblowing compensation for camera shake. You can make moving shots that would be impissible to do without enormous gear.

Upvote 0