Status
Not open for further replies.

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
alipaulphotography said:
Also, with thunderbolt, do you need to have a thunderbolt compatible computer? IE. with a thunderbolt input?
For laptop - yes, you will need the compatibility.
For desktop - you will be able to buy an additional PCI-e 4x controller to make it compatible.
However, I think that if Thunderbolt "hits" the 5D3 it won't be the only connectivity solution, USB2.0 and/or USB3.0 should be present as well, so, no worries there ;).

Upvote 0
I am into HDSLR video; however, this time I was commenting only from a photography perspective. I didn't have a chance to do much video with that camera. For those who like taking odd-angled photos, the vari screen is nice.

It is a weakness though, and even so, the only way to nail the focus is to have an zoom in the live view, an external monitor, or something like LCD VF. The 3 inch screen can be too small to extract awesome focus. Unfortunately, each solution has a downside, ie not weatherproof and expensive (LCD monitor), have to have the camera on your face (LCD VF).

I've decided not to buy one of these solutions for my 7D until I find out what the 5D III will be doing. If it is vari angle, if could render the LCD VF incompatible. I will however still get my rig with follow focus.

Upvote 0
N

NotABunny

Event photography at ISO 12800, meaning the ability to use a zoom lens at F 2.8 - 4, shutter speed 200, in the average interior lighting. No noise banding and a tonal range as high as possible (at high ISO).

* REAL auto ISO, based on the actual exposure information.
* More accurate center focus point in low light (at least better than my 40D's).

* Either limits (= low and high) for ISO, shutter speed and F-number, or the ability to switch the exposure settings from several stored sets, based on the (absolute) amount of available light. For example, I can have a set of settings for low light, one for medium light, one for lots of light. A photocell determines the absolute amount of available light and switches the exposure settings.
* 2 memory cards.
* USB 3.
* DOF size displayed, based on the exposure settings (and camera sensor size).

Oh, and sharper photos!

jeremymerriam said:
I am curious how many people who have voiced their desires are working photographers. It would be nice to see an editable profile next to our names stating who is a hobbyist and who shoot professionally like they do on BHphoto reviews.

Does the word "professional" have any practical meaning? 1 2

Upvote 0
Personally, I would like a spec sheet and release date. They can keep the pricing information to themselves until it's closer to release. Canon is really dragging their feet with this body, and I wish they could release some legitimate information in the next few weeks so that rumors don't run rampant for another year.

It is interesting that the votes show none of us want more MPs... I hope Canon is listening.

Upvote 0
Chewy734 said:
Personally, I would like a spec sheet and release date. They can keep the pricing information to themselves until it's closer to release. Canon is really dragging their feet with this body, and I wish they could release some legitimate information in the next few weeks so that rumors don't run rampant for another year.

It is interesting that the votes show none of us want more MPs... I hope Canon is listening.

I think it feels like they are dragging their feet, but in reality, its not even due to be released yet. We've all just been foraging for rumors for a year with hope that something will happen early.

Upvote 0
N

Neuffy

ecka said:
What I'm expecting from 5D3 :
1] better AF system (at least something like 7D's 19 cross-type) - check
2] better metering and AWB - check
3] solid body with weather sealing and 100% OVF - eh, nice but OVF is unlikely and unneeded
4] FF sensor, obviously, with better dynamic range and no banding please - check
5] clean ISO 100-3200 and acceptable noise levels up to ISO 25600 - check
6] adjustable Auto ISO limits (like lowest low and highest high) - check, a copy of Nikon's would do
7] manual Noise Reduction control (something like Luma/Chroma 0-20 for each ISO level) - eh, better done in post
8] 5fps or more would be nice (Dual Digic4, Tripple Digic4, Single Digic5 ... whatever works) - I'd actually take a hit down to 1fps to get the rest of this
9] built-in wireless flash control - eh, if you say so
10] no "jello effect" in videos - check
11] more than 1 memory card slot (at least 1 CF + 1 SD/SDHC/SDXC) - check
12] better LCD would be nice (AMOLED?), could be Vari Angle (I don't mind) - check
13] Intel's new Thunderbolt connectivity (or at least USB3.0) - check
14] new kit lens (EF 24-70/2.8L IS USM?) - check
15] reasonable price (less than $3000 MSRP?) - unimportant. To get the rest of this list $5k would be well worth it

Unlikely others here, I'd take all the MP I can get. 40 MP would be nice - it gives 2x2 pixel binning to 10MP with minimal processing power. I certainly wouldn't expect it, but I'd take 80MP if they'd give it (20MP with 2x2 pixel binning). Would it be fair to say that others here do not habitually print big? I'd like my standard size to be 40x60" (unfortunately, I can't print larger myself - I'd have to send it out).

Naturally, priority is better autofocus first, then get rid of banding/noise, and finally resolution.

Upvote 0
Binning would be a good solution for video. I don't know that it would do much for the rolling shutter issue, but would do loads for the resolving, Moire, and aliasing problems.

What I don't want is for a video solution to be "crop only" meaning that a small set of pixels in the center will be 1920x1080. Great for resolution, moire, aliasing, and rolling shutter, but would completely drive HDSLR crowd away. If that happened the depth of field would grow much larger (as per subject distance) and that is why the film crowd latched onto the 5D II in the first place.

Upvote 0
A

alipaulphotography

I run a macbook pro at the moment - so thunderbolt wouldn't be an option for me till I buy a desktop (hopefully in the next year). Lets hope the new imac comes with thunderbolt, as that would be my first choice.

What do you mean by 'pixel binning'? As in cropping?

I'm never keen on cropping my photos unless I really have to and I still print big with a 12.8 mp camera with no noticeable pixels. My usual is 30"x20" though. Haven't printed bigger as of yet. That is why I don't feel I need the 21+ pixels offered and certainly not more when efforts could be put to other areas of the camera.

I do hope canon does read these forums for a users opinion! But I imagine now is too late as I would hope production is underway. A 5D mk III is definitely due if Canon want to compete with Nikon. 5Dmk II must be losing sales by now.

Ali

www.alipaul.com

Upvote 0
As an owner of the 7D and no full-frame as of yet, I think I would be hard pressed to upgrade to a Mk III without better autofocus. I do not utilize the tremendous speed the 7D offers so 4 fps would suffice, I think. If Canon does not deliver this with the Mk III, I would probably wait until the 1Ds Mk III's got cheaper and buy used (not good for Canon). I would be going FF for better noise and DOF so a higher resolution than what is available would not be necessary.

Aside: To those wanting the ability to change crop sizes, Nikon does this with its 'dx' lenses similar to Canon's 'EF-S' lenses. The problem with Canon doing this, is that EF-S lenses allow the rear element to stick farther into the body because a crop sensor camera uses smaller mirrors (according to what I have read about this). That being said, one would not be able to put an EF-S lens on a FF camera because it could hit the mirror. Cropping the sensor might make it seem like you are getting a tighter shot, but all you are doing is changing the image before you get it to the computer to do the exact same thing...

Upvote 0
My understanding is that pixel binning is combining the sensor data (from say a 2x2 pixel area) into an effective 1 pixel in the output.

This has advantages because it reduces noise. The process can be modified to search for noise and compare it to surrounding pixels. Also these comparisons can be used to create a more "resolved" picture because the color data of a near pixel is considered.

This it not only for video, but the current video solution (on the 5d mk ii) is to record a single pixel every 3rd line. Because of this, there is missing information in between those lines. There are video still frames vs actual full sensor picture scaled to 1920x1080 that show huge differences.

Upvote 0
Z

zalmagor

jeremymerriam said:
I am curious how many people who have voiced their desires are working photographers. It would be nice to see an editable profile next to our names stating who is a hobbyist and who shoot professionally like they do on BHphoto reviews. It might even be helpful if canon ever peruses the forums and have an idea how to tailor products to their customers.

I'd rather know who got a tax return on their equipment, and who didn't. After all, those who pay more should have a greater say.

Upvote 0
DuLt said:
Does the 5d really need weather sealing? Or a stronger body?
Wouldn't everyone prefer that level of ruggedness on a 1d to keep 5d's costs down?

I mean I shot trough rain and snow with a 400d, its still kicking.
Well it didn't fell in a puddle of muddy water offcourse...

The 5d II already had some weather sealing. but the 7D is even better. I think they will bring the 5D up to the 7Ds weather standards. (At least I hope) I like to go spelunking and its a hard environment for a camera. Now, I just need a weather sealed lens... perhaps the 50 f/1.2. And later the 14mm 2.8 II.

Upvote 0
P

prestonpalmer

I have taken nearly a half million wedding photos, and I can definitively say this is what I would like to see in the 5DIII. This would be best for my business. And, for those of you who are wondering about the "pro's" out there. I make $300,000+USD/yr shooting weddings, and that's all I do.

1. Better High ISO (low light) performance. 1 more stop would be great.
2. Improved Dynamic Range
3. Auto Setting and adjusting internal clock to timezone and time using broadcasted time signals (cant tell you how important this would be!)
4. Better auto focus
5. Built in ETTL transmitter (similar but improved over 7D)
6. Dual Card Slots, 1x CF, 1x SD. Ability to save JPG to one and RAW to another. (in camera redundancy)
7. Slightly better weather proofing
8. USB 3.0 AND OR Thunderbolt
9. perhaps 60P vid
10. Built in GPS (for personal use, not professional)

THATS IT! I will pay $4000 for this body and pre-order 2 of them the moment they are announced.

DO NOT NEED:
-More megapixels
-Higher FPS
-articulating screen
-better AWB or Metering - C'mon guys, you should all be shooting RAW by now, and you should understand how your metering mode works. This doesn't need to improve. YOU DO.

Upvote 0
E

endigo

endigo said:
I would like to see these features:
  • Thunderbolt Integration
  • Switchable between Full Frame and Crop (One of the Nikon cameras have this)
  • High ISO
  • Touch screen in live view to adjust focus and/or exposure (Camera Pro on the iPhone has a good implementation of this)
  • Night Vision (we can dream can't we?)

I would like to add to more features to my order please:
  • GPS for Geo-tagging (I should have the option of turning it off)
  • WiFi for wireless uploading of my images (The Eye-Fi can do this inside an SD card)

P.S. Snow isn't yellow?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.