When is the M5 Shipping?

Looks like I am in the same catch-22 situation as Photorex.

Canon wouldn't authorize their preferred supplier to send me the part as they said it is not missing from the box.

And the preferred supplier won't sell me the part either as they are not allowed by Canon to sell parts, only complete items.

So you can't buy an M5 in the EU without the included adaptor sans tripod mount, and you can't buy the tripod mount alone.

So I have gone back to Canon again and told them that this seems a rather strange state of affairs and asked once again that they supply me a tripod mount.

Amazon are quite happy for me to return the M5 for a full refund, but that seems a rather dramatic course of action.

Upvote 0
lw said:
So you can't buy an M5 in the EU without the included adaptor sans tripod mount, and you can't buy the tripod mount alone.

Right. You bought a kit that included an adapter in a box labeled 'without tripod mount', so you can't claim they left something out. Arguing that it should have been included because of a statement in the manual or just because they should or because Canon is stupid (looking at you, AvTvM) is going to fall on deaf ears.

So perhaps a more practical approach...say that hypothetically you had bought the standalone adapter a year or two ago, then accidentally misplaced the detachable tripod mount. Oops. In that case, Canon's parts department may be willing to sell you a replacement for the 'lost' foot, and probably that would be cheaper than buying the standalone adapter. Just a suggestion.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Right. You bought a kit that included an adapter in a box labeled 'without tripod mount', so you can't claim they left something out.

From Canon's perspective perhaps.

But at the time anyone placed a pre-order, no retailer said that the adaptor came without the tripod mount. So everyone ordered it with an expectation it would.

And Amazon (who still make no mention of that), are quite happy for me to return the camera.

As I said before, I already asked the supplier how much a tripod mount would cost me to purchase, and their response is they cannot sell the mount alone as Canon will not allow them to sell individual parts, only the complete adaptor with mount.

Upvote 0
lw said:
I already asked the supplier how much a tripod mount would cost me to purchase, and their response is they cannot sell the mount alone as Canon will not allow them to sell parts, only the whole adaptor with mount.

Not a 3rd party supplier, but the parts department of Canon Service in your country. I know that here in the US, I can call up the Canon Parts Order Desk and buy a rubber zoom ring cover for my 24-70/2.8L II, a battery door or rear LCD glass cover for my 1D X, etc.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
lw said:
I already asked the supplier how much a tripod mount would cost me to purchase, and their response is they cannot sell the mount alone as Canon will not allow them to sell parts, only the whole adaptor with mount.

Not a 3rd party supplier, but the parts department of Canon Service in your country. I know that here in the US, I can call up the Canon Parts Order Desk and buy a rubber zoom ring cover for my 24-70/2.8L II, a battery door or rear LCD glass cover for my 1D X, etc.

VERY different in Europa. No Canon Service Departments in most EU countries [Non-EU don't even think about it]. Where I live, there is exactly 1 service partner countrywide. They will NOT sell spare parts. You can only send in gear and get it repaired and/or worn out or missing spare parts replaced.

In large markete (e.g. Germany) you may have a chance, if you physically show up at the CPS repair center.

Otherwise, you may have a small chance if you know a Canon/CS representative well. But that's it, short of stealing that damn tripod foot from the Canon stand at the next exhibition/trade show/marketing event. ::)

Even then, the part plus shipping may well cost more than ordering an entire new adapter with tripod-foot at amazon or an other online source.

Circumstances like these make it even more unpleasant and aggravating when stupid Canon decides to go about cost cutting by leaving out small cost parts from forced-kit boxes instead of slashing executive bonuses by a couple billion (Yen).

Upvote 0
Photorex said:
Today I got an answer from Canon, as you can expect it is very disappointing:

P.S.3: From the beginning I planned to resell the EF-EOS M adaptor as I already have one together wit my M, but without this tripod foot it is only woth the half. If the price of this spare part is more then 15 to 20 Euro's. I probably will sell the adaptor for maybe 40 to 50 Euro's instead of 80 to 90 Euro's without this tripod foot.

so basically it sounds like you are trying to do what canon was attempting not to have happen, the market dumped with used adapters that were part of the kit.

Personally I never have seen the point of of the tripod adapter (I have an M adapter for my m and m3 and soon for the m5) .. and if the lens is heavy enough, it has it's own tripod mount anyway.

dunno, but certainly bizarre decision for Canon UK / Europe to do.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Yes! It is (was) an extra advantage of the EF-M/EF adapter to serve as a well-designed and low cost way to equip non-collared lenses with a tripod foot.

as the camera(s) get heavier and larger there is far less need for an adapter tripod mount. the larger lenses all have space for a collar mount, or a collar mount, and the smaller lenses certainly don't need an adapter mount - it's not going to change the balance that much or help the camera out that much, especially if it's well designed.

Not to mention it's awkward. I end up taking the damned thing off most times and then forgetting it in the bag or something when I do need it .. frankly .. I don't get the angst..

However, I do understand your point:

molehill >>> mountain.

Upvote 0
troy19 said:
..., but the real damage is done to Canons image....

So Canon is now in line with other manufacturers when it comes to marketing/customer support failures. They missed the chance to deal with problems in a more sensible way.

Consequence: Will cancel my order for the M5 ;) (just joking)

You know the Canon Image Gateway? May be they should rename it to Canon Image get away. 8)

Frank

The main point for me is. They can leave it out of this kit package, but they should at least advertise this fact for the product so anyone knows what he buys in advance, not only when one unboxes his kit. And in the same time they start delivering the kit they should be able to offer the tripod mount as a separat accesory in official shops. This would be at least a fair product offering. If you do not agree to this offer, than simply pass by or you buy it and know what you buy. Customers who want to use the camera on a tripod would be way more pleased with the mentioned approach.

I like the possibility to use this cam for macro work together with the EF-S 60mm and the EF 100mm Macro lenses. So for me it is a keypoint of using the cam with tripod.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Not a 3rd party supplier, but the parts department of Canon Service in your country.

All Canon service in the UK is dealt with by 3rd party companies. e.g. warranty repairs, servicing, etc. And a good job they do of it too.
If you ask Canon, then they refer you to the 'preferred supplier'.
There is no Canon service centre or Canon parts department.

That's exactly what I did. And this is the answer I got.

There may be alternatives available to you if you are a CPS member. But the M5 doesnt qualify as a CPS product...

If Canon still refuse to supply it (which wouldn't surprise me), then I will try a different supplier and see if they are able to sell it.

Upvote 0
Photorex said:
I like the possibility to use this cam for macro work together with the EF-S 60mm and the EF 100mm Macro lenses. So for me it is a keypoint of using the cam with tripod.

The 60 EF-S isn't heavy enough to need an adapter tripod mount, over the camera tripod mount, and the EF 100mm has it's own collar. the heavist .. is what .. 1.4lb?

A DSLR does not have the tripod mount point that close to the lens mount either.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
The 60 EF-S isn't heavy enough to need an adapter tripod mount, over the camera tripod mount, and the EF 100mm has it's own collar. the heavist .. is what .. 1.4lb?
But my Sigma 100 macro doesn't.

rrcphoto said:
A DSLR does not have the tripod mount point that close to the lens mount either.

Perhaps the DSLR has a stronger frame to support the lens mount.

They should at least update the manual if the feel the tripod mount is unnecessary with the M5

However, the other point I raised still stands.
None of my Manfrotto tripod plates fit onto the camera body without bumping into the adaptor, because the base of the adaptor is lower than the base of the camera.

I know - change all my tripods and heads.... of course, silly me.

Upvote 0
lw said:
rrcphoto said:
But my Sigma 100 macro doesn't.

rrcphoto said:

Perhaps the DSLR has a stronger frame to support the lens mount.

They should at least update the manual if the feel the tripod mount is unnecessary with the M5

None of my Manfrotto tripod plates fit onto the camera body without bumping into the adaptor, because the base of the adaptor is lower than the base of the camera.

ah I never saw that.. now THAT is a very lousy thing.

I'm wondering if the china knockoffs have a different radius and/or bolt thread - you should be able to get an adapter from china for like 25 bucks. I see them on ebay.

TINSTAAFL I guess.

Upvote 0
re. lens collars: they are expensive and usually for 1 lens only. Nice thing about the adapter + tripod foot is, that it is *absolutely universal* and fairly inexpensive. Only 1 part rather than having to buy 1 dedicated item for each lens.

Adapter with foot works nicely with EF-S 60, EF 100 L Macro, Non-L Macro, Third-Party lenses ... just about anything. Even with a small and light lens like EF 50/1.8 STM handling on a tripod is nicer with the tripod foot since there is more clearance over/around tripod (ball) head than with camera directly in clamp.

Only disadvantage of EF-M adapter tripod foot relative to dedicated (well-designed) lens collars is that it cannot be rotated from landscape to portrait orientation. On the other hand, not all lens collars are well designed, and some cannot even be taken off the lens. The tripod foot on adapter is easily detachable.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
Photorex said:

Agreed. Fortunately there are small enough camera plates available one can mount to the camera thread without interfering with the adapter and the tiltable screen. see issue from @lw

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=31144.msg637642#msg637642

Frank

Upvote 0
Getting back to the original OP subject "When is the M5 shipping?" and off of this ridiculous discussion of the EF adapter being included/not-included/free/not-free... Just got off the phone with B&H.... they say that they will not get the M5 until Dec 8th !!!! Is anybody else hearing something different. Placed my pre-on Sept 9th ! :'(

Upvote 0
lw said:

If you're using their RC2 system, this may be just the excuse you need to ditch that in favor of the far better Arca-Swiss system. Personally, I found the play in the "locked" RC2 clamp/plate to be annoying, particularly with fine positioning for macro shooting. The lack of an anti-twist feature on the plates can also be problematic. Their larger plates (RC0 and RC4) do not have play in the clamps, but those plates are big enough to be an ergonomic nightmare and still lack anti-twist. The Arca-Swiss system also opens the doors to a world of good L-brackets, macro rails, etc.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
lw said:

If you're using their RC2 system, this may be just the excuse you need to ditch that in favor of the far better Arca-Swiss system. Personally, I found the play in the "locked" RC2 clamp/plate to be annoying, particularly with fine positioning for macro shooting. The lack of an anti-twist feature on the plates can also be problematic. Their larger plates (RC0 and RC4) do not have play in the clamps, but those plates are big enough to be an ergonomic nightmare and still lack anti-twist. The Arca-Swiss system also opens the doors to a world of good L-brackets, macro rails, etc.

And once you take the plunge to Arca-Swiss, here is the link for the company that sells the L Brackets. This is for the M3 (I have this bracket and it works very well). My guess is that Mengs will quickly produce one for the M5 once it starts to ship. http://www.gumptrade.com/photography-accessories/quick-release-plate/m3l-l-shaped-camera-quick-release-plate-1-4-screw-for-canon-m3-camera.html?___store=en

Upvote 0
dppaskewitz said:
And once you take the plunge to Arca-Swiss, here is the link for the company that sells the L Brackets. This is for the M3 (I have this bracket and it works very well). My guess is that Mengs will quickly produce one for the M5 once it starts to ship. http://www.gumptrade.com/photography-accessories/quick-release-plate/m3l-l-shaped-camera-quick-release-plate-1-4-screw-for-canon-m3-camera.html?___store=en

yep. For my M I bought a "Mengs"-branded universal L-Bracket ... € 15.99 incl. 20% VAT (sales tax).
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00E5XSIJS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JZTMFUUQ40AH
Despite 2-part construction the bracket is more than solid for an M class camera and fits well enough to cause no handling issues whatsoever. Does not twist either. Will hopefully also fit future EOS M's to come and go.

I am done with buying *camera-body specific accessories* for lots of money.

It also proves quite well, how CHEAP such parts can be made, shipped and sold. And how mean, evil and greedy Canon really is by not supplying that adapter tripod foot in their forced-kits.

Upvote 0