When is the M5 Shipping?

Nov 4, 2011
Otara said:
Its showng up in my local store as more expensive than the 80D. I know its new but does that make sense?

for Canon ... yes. M5 compared to 80D means lower cost to assemble, adjust, quality control and (warranty) service AND higher sales price = a whole lot more profit.

For buyers ... no. At least some of the savings involved with mirrorless cameras compared to DSLRs should be passed on to customers. Luckily there is competition, so mirrorless prices will come down substantially over the next year. :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The MSRP for the bare M5 in the USA is $979. For the 80D, it is $1199.

Which local store has the M5 in stock? What price is it? Is it a bare camera or a kit?

You need to compare apples with apples, the bare camera is the best way, since different lenses are in the kits.

For Example, at the Camera shop in Sidney, AU

80D body =$1539
M5 Body = $1450 but they are not actually available yet.

Upvote 0
Glad to see I'm not the only one waiting for this one ... I intend to buy one as soon as they hit the shelves.

For the record, at least here in Switzerland, I'm starting to think that they could arrive pretty soon. Up until recently most stores announced an arrival in November (nothing more accurate), and while there was one store predicting availability on Nov 4, I didn't really trust that from just one store. Today I noticed two more online stores, announcing availability on Nov 3 and Nov 1 respectively.

So I'm getting hopeful that they'll start showing up next week, and that I'll have one in my hands by the end of that week. Fingers crossed ...

Upvote 0
I thought about pre-ordering the first two weeks when it's announced. I have decided to wait for a price drop. One grand is way overpriced. I don't think $200 difference between m5 and 80d is well justified. M5 has limited lens selection, is not weather resistant, has limited battery life. To me, launch price of about $800 would sound more palatable. Besides the M line seems to get refreshed almost every year, unlike the 80d line, which gets refreshed every few years. It seems such risky investment like Sony a6000 series.

Anyway, I am interested but I am waiting for a more reasonable price.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Otara said:
Its showng up in my local store as more expensive than the 80D. I know its new but does that make sense?

for Canon ... yes. M5 compared to 80D means lower cost to assemble, adjust, quality control and (warranty) service AND higher sales price = a whole lot more profit.

For buyers ... no. At least some of the savings involved with mirrorless cameras compared to DSLRs should be passed on to customers. Luckily there is competition, so mirrorless prices will come down substantially over the next year. :)

Please tell that to Fuji and Sony. They haven't gotten the message about mirrorless's lower costs being passed on to customers. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
fuji is premium-land. "premium" = pay a lot more than necessary for a specific functionality.
premium land is a thinly populated, small territory, since only a small minority of people is dumb enough, willing and able to pay premium prices. :)

in other words: fuji is relegated to a minuscule market share <5% as long as they follow their current product and pricing strategy.

sony is in a similar corner. while 1st gen A7 lineup was reasonably priced, they charge premium prices for mark II generation bodies and even more so for lenses. zeiss badge or gmaster, not bad products, but 50% too fat, heavy and overpriced. which ... limits sony marketshare to less than 20% forever. even while being sole supplier for FF mirrorless system.

canon EOS M system is fairly affordable, especially EF-M lenses. and EOS M cameras may come with premium launch price, but quickly fall to reasonable levels or have to be firesold at rock bottom prices. therefore, canon enkoys a fairly healthy marketshate even with sub-par mirrorless products.

economy is really simple.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The MSRP for the bare M5 in the USA is $979. For the 80D, it is $1199.

Which local store has the M5 in stock? What price is it? Is it a bare camera or a kit?

You need to compare apples with apples, the bare camera is the best way, since different lenses are in the kits.

For Example, at the Camera shop in Sidney, AU

80D body =$1539
M5 Body = $1450 but they are not actually available yet.

M5 with EF-M - EF adapter: 1129 EUR
EOS 80D body : 999 EUR
here in Germany for a "phantom camera (till November, 30)" and an available camera.
If you remove the EF-M - EF adapter you will see similar prices for both. The body only
"package" will com soon hopefully - I have the adapter and enough lenses (18-55, 22) as
standard lenses.

About M5: I cannot wait to see the results of tests and especially samples which show the IQ
of that cam. After fiddeling around with old FD lenses with my EOS M classic I discovered
really great IQ with the 1.8 85 S.S.C. and the 3.5 135 S.C. - sharpness/contrast wise + "image texture" wise
maybe EOS M5 would lift it to another level and increase the usability of these lenses with its EVF.
And the EVF makes the EOS M5 a good video option with hopefully great video IQ (I prefer a good
HD/2k quality over some Ultra HD/4k capabilities).

Great times unleashing a lot of options for photographing and video in an affordable package ...

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
mb66energy said:
M5 with EF-M - EF adapter: 1129 EUR
EOS 80D body : 999 EUR
here in Germany for a "phantom camera (till November, 30)" and an available camera.
If you remove the EF-M - EF adapter you will see similar prices for both. The body only
"package" will com soon hopefully - I have the adapter and enough lenses (18-55, 22) as
standard lenses.

80D was € 888,- at amazon Germany this week. ;-)

Also, for previous EOS M models it always took a very long time after launch until "body only" became available in Europe. The "M3 body + external EVF kit at a reasonable price" was sold in Japan, but never offered by Canon in Europe.

Somehow Canon seems to be under the impression that every M-customer is a first-time mirrorless EOS buyer in need of a (kit) lens ... ::) :p

Generally it would be really smart if Canon would let customers build their own bundles of "body plus additional items" like lenses, adapter, strobes, EVF, etc. providing attractive discounts, e.g. -20% -30% -40% for second, third and fourth item, ranked by price in descending order. No need for separate "kit boxes" and "white boxes", we don't mind getting 4 items in their regular packaging.

Canon does offer such "free choice"-bundles in some of the current cash-back deals in Europe (incl. Germany). It should be standard procedure available immediately at checkout for both online and store purchases. Without need for laborious cash-back dances.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

Hello lw,

did your EF-EOS M adaptor came with the tripod mount or without it?

In Germany the tripod mount is not included in the "kit adaptor".This fact is even stated on the package, but the user manual did not mention that the tripod mount is to be bought seperately and even recommends to use the mounted adaptor only with the tripod mount if working on a tripod. Additionally this tripod mount is not available as a seperat product currently in the Canon shop.

regards
Frank

Upvote 0