When is the M5 Shipping?

Don Haines said:
But I do think that in the end, this issue comes down to a matter of personal opinion..... but regardless of our opinions, Canon decided not to include it, and for that, there must have been a reason. They have access to the data required to make that decision and we do not. We can only speculate as to what that reason is.

Totally agree. I'd add that if Canon chooses to not sell the foot as a standalone accessory, but forces people who want the foot to buy the complete adapter set, that would be pretty crappy. But I highly doubt that Canon will pass up that opportunity to sell another premium-priced accessory.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
BTW, I picked up a new tripod last week.

It included a soft cloth bag to protect the tripod from scratches....
It included a nice carry bag with a padded handle.....
It included a shoulder strap....
It included spike feet to replace the rubber feet.....
It included a stub centre column to replace the full size column....
It included all the tools required to assemble/disassemble/adjust the tripod....

All this could have been sold as separate accessories, but they chose to include them....

just saying.....

I bought a very expensive RRS TVC-33 a while back.

It included a useless soft cloth synthetic fabric bag to protect the tripod from scratches (during shipping)....
I had to buy separately a nice carry bag with a padded handle.....
It did not include a shoulder strap....
I had to buy separately spike feet to replace the rubber feet.....
It did not include a centre column at all (although I could buy separately)....
It included all the tools required to assemble/disassemble/adjust the tripod....

After that, I bought an expensive monopod and another expensive tripod from RRS.

Just saying..... ;)

Yes :) Manufactures are all over the map with what they include and what they do not... That gives every one of us a case example to demonstrate our point about what to include and what not to include...... Our two tripods are a perfect example of two different manufactures with very different opinions on that.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Totally agree. I'd add that if Canon chooses to not sell the foot as a standalone accessory, but forces people who want the foot to buy the complete adapter set, that would be pretty crappy. But I highly doubt that Canon will pass up that opportunity to sell another premium-priced accessory.

You mean Canon might sell a $94 tripod mount.
Or perhaps offer a $94 tripod mount kit with free EF adapter?
:)

More likely one of the enterprising Chinese knock-off adapter makers might wake up to the fact they can just sell the tripod mount.

Upvote 0
well, accoriding to you line of argumentation, a sizeable segment of all M5 users will never use the adapter at all. So forcing all M5 buyers to purchase a kit with lens and "half an adapter" does not make much sense either. Canon could sell M5 body only and include vouchers to get 1 adapter at xx% off stand-alone price and to get 18-55 and/or other lenses at a "kit/bundle" discount. That would make sure, all customers get what they need or want, nothing being wasted and Canon getting sales and profits, without any bad will.

that is the way I run my business.

Upvote 0
I wonder if this is going to be a short term issue.
I remember when UK retailers first started advertising the M5 the 'free' adapter was billed as for 'pre-orders'.
"Pre-order the M5 and get a free EF mount adapter"

Perhaps once this initial batch of "Get started kits" as they are called run out, then they will be replaced by availability of the normal separate camera and adapter. The camera is already in its normal kit box, within the outer 'get started kit' box. So it is all ready for that

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
What is your market research budget? What were your unit sales of ILCs last fiscal year?
what are yours?

I'm not the one calling Canon stupid, and claiming I know how to run their business better than they do….despite decades worth of evidence that contradicts you. That puts the burden of proof squarely on you, and obviously it has proved far too heavy a burden for your inadequate shoulders.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
BTW, I picked up a new tripod last week.

It included a soft cloth bag to protect the tripod from scratches....
It included a nice carry bag with a padded handle.....
It included a shoulder strap....
It included spike feet to replace the rubber feet.....
It included a stub centre column to replace the full size column....

All this could have been sold as separate accessories, but they chose to include them....

just saying.....

I bought a very expensive RRS TVC-33 a while back.

It included a useless soft cloth synthetic fabric bag to protect the tripod from scratches (during shipping)....
I had to buy separately a nice carry bag with a padded handle.....
It did not include a shoulder strap....
I had to buy separately spike feet to replace the rubber feet.....
It did not include a centre column at all (although I could buy separately)....

After that, I bought an expensive monopod and another expensive tripod from RRS.

Just saying..... ;)
But mine came with a box.....

Just saying..... ;)

Attachments

• D16B3954.jpg
    D16B3954.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
Today I got an answer from Canon, as you can expect it is very disappointing:

In summary they say:
1. I can't get a tripod foot delivered for free because I think it belongs to the adaptor as iti is stated so in the manual. Due to this faxct it is not offered in the online shop.
2. It is available for purchase separately not in the official shop but through spare part services. I have to ask for price and availability at one of the service partners.
3. It is recommended to me, that I can purchase the hole (adaptor including the tripod foot) separately.

My opinions to these answers:
1. They should urgent change their wording in the manuals and
2. At least they should officially anounce where and how one is able to get such a tripod foot
3. That one is the real joke. In fact I regard this as an effrontery. At least they have a lot of self-confidence.

regards
Frank

P.S.: The number for the spare part is: YG2-3016
P.S.2: I will ask the given service partners for price and availability. I'm just curious how much Canon is to charge for the spare part.
P.S.3: From the beginning I planned to resell the EF-EOS M adaptor as I already have one together wit my M, but without this tripod foot it is only woth the half. If the price of this spare part is more then 15 to 20 Euro's. I probably will sell the adaptor for maybe 40 to 50 Euro's instead of 80 to 90 Euro's without this tripod foot.

Upvote 0
Photorex said:
P.S.: The number for the spare part is: YG2-3016
P.S.2: I will ask the given service partners for price and availability. I'm just curious how much Canon is to charge for the spare part.

Thanks! Please keep us posted.

and: good quality third party EF/EF-M adapters start from about € 35 ... including tripod foot. :)

Upvote 0
first answer from one of the service partners:

35,15 € tripod foot itself
7,50 € shipping
8,10 € 19% VAT

50,75 € + 2 € for the payment method (per Nachname). This a method where you pay the postman, when he delivers the product. Not very popular.

This is simply ridiculous! And to top this. The part is not deliverable at all.

regards
Frank

Upvote 0
I spoke to the spares supplier this morning that Canon support referred me to.

They have filled in the necessary requisition to send me the part, but it needs Canon approval. So we shall see.

But having had the reply from Canon support (see earlier post) that they thought it should be in the box, I will maintain that the instruction manual says don't use on a tripod without one and that it is misleading not to include it.

At a minimum I expect them to at least sell me the foot given it is a recognised part, and at a low cost.

Upvote 0
Photorex said:
first answer from one of the service partners:

35,15 € tripod foot itself
7,50 € shipping
8,10 € 19% VAT

50,75 € + 2 € for the payment method (per Nachname). This a method where you pay the postman, when he delivers the product. Not very popular.

This is simply ridiculous! And to top this. The part is not deliverable at all.

regards
Frank

I agree That is ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Photorex said:
Today I got an answer from Canon, as you can expect it is very disappointing

This answer from Canon is surely disappointing, but was predictable.

Well, (to me) there's no big damage (bought a new adaptor with tripod-support for 70 €, will sell the other one for 50 €), but the real damage is done to Canons image.

So Canon is now in line with other manufacturers when it comes to marketing/customer support failures. They missed the chance to deal with problems in a more sensible way.

Consequence: Will cancel my order for the M5 ;) (just joking)

Upvote 0