More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

Dec 31, 2018
Hmm i dont think canon would look good if releasing 80mpixel high resolution camera.
They would lose their face when interviewed and asked why their high resolution camera is just 16 mpixel bigger than sonys all around camera.
Maybe that 80 mpixel patent is for 5D5 and high res would be then 150mpixel around 2x general cameras resolution ?
i still think canon strikes back :p
And if they manage upscale their best sensor atm 32mpx crop one to 80mpx why they would waste it to high resolution model?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If you have just a few hot/dead pixels and they don't show up in your photos, my don't, just forget about them. Out of many millions they are not significant. if you have a bunch then Canon can "map" them out. Dust on the sensor is a much bigger problem than a few bad pixels.

It's because people prefer to play with tech rather than use it for it's intended purpose.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
"RS" is a hilariously unsuitable name for a camera in Australia, because it's a common variation of this crude expression to describe something that doesn't work properly. But then again, Mitsubishi kept selling the Pajero...

Nothing stopped Toyota from prominently displaying TRD on their trucks in the States...there's only one way to pronounce that.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Hmm i dont think canon would look good if releasing 80mpixel high resolution camera.
They would lose their face when interviewed and asked why their high resolution camera is just 16 mpixel bigger than sonys all around camera.
Maybe that 80 mpixel patent is for 5D5 and high res would be then 150mpixel around 2x general cameras resolution ?
i still think canon strikes back :p
And if they manage upscale their best sensor atm 32mpx crop one to 80mpx why they would waste it to high resolution model?

if they can keep/improve base ISO performance at that resolution I would love to have it for a hi-res body. I actually crop quite a few of my landscape shots. The more resolution the better unless I pay and IQ penalty. We will see.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Canon can't make a 1DXMKIII with over 20MP.... They are not going to compete with Hasselblad... SONY lost a huge customer base when they abandoned their clients by discontinuing products. Canon could shoot themselves in the foot and it will not be trusted to the extent that big investments and budgets will be made the way they used to. Something is really off at Canon when buzz is out about an 80MP camera and their "supposed" flagship is supposedly being released with a pathetic 20MP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

falcnr

1DX & 5DSR Canon glass
May 3, 2015
I’d have to imagine the video specs will be mundane considering the resolution as clearly this isnt built for video. That said I’d also imagine this is where we see the new IBIS system being rumored to work in tandem with lens IS for some crazy good combo IS with even more than 5 stops of performance. My only real complaint with my 5DSR is that it’s (understandably) nearly impossible to hand hold shoot and get maximum effectiveness of the high-res without some really high shutter speeds which arent always possible even at times with an IS lens. An 83MP sensor would even further exaggerate this issue without some amazing IBIS (short of having to tripod shoot all the time). Cant wait to see what they come up with!
So refreshing to read this as I have been frustrated by the low keeper rate of this camera when trying to pull off a handheld shots at still wildlife. I've had some killer images but they seem few and far in between and i couldn't figure out what was the cause other than the fact the resolution highlighted any flaws in settings or shooting style. I nearly always was shooting at a shutter speed that my 1DX2 would nail down cold. When it works it is stunning but i can't handle the low keeper rate and it is simply impractical to only use with tripod.

Upvote 0
So refreshing to read this as I have been frustrated by the low keeper rate of this camera when trying to pull off a handheld shots at still wildlife. I've had some killer images but they seem few and far in between and i couldn't figure out what was the cause other than the fact the resolution highlighted any flaws in settings or shooting style. I nearly always was shooting at a shutter speed that my 1DX2 would nail down cold. When it works it is stunning but i can't handle the low keeper rate and it is simply impractical to only use with tripod.
I don't have the strength in my upper body the way I did 40 years ago. I use a monopod with my R. Mine has feet when I need more stability. I can use both my 70-200 and 15-600 with a monopod

Upvote 0
You laugh, but using the touchscreen for this works well, except for those with smaller hands. A small touch box might work well, sort of like a mini touchpad ala a laptop's touchpad. If you moved your finger to the side it could scroll more quickly than a joystick and as you brought it in to the middle it could slide the focal points to a smaller area. You could also do some neat ui tricks on the display by drawing a box around a zone of points, and moving your fingers to the edge of the touchpad moves that outer box to quickly zoom to another area of the display then moving more towards the middle selects the points in that zone.

You could do this with an analog style joystick too - light touch moves just one or two points at a time, hard push to the side moves 10-15 points at a time. If you've ever used a PS4 or Xbox, this would be analogous to the stick controller.
I love the ability to use my thumb to drag the focus points

Upvote 0
Dual slots, IBIS, more controls maybe better weather sealing and dual processors to keep up with the speed will obviously add to the size.
It is still going to be smaller and lighter than the 5DsR (or a Panasonic S1)
The vast majority of RF lenses (which will be the most suited for the megapixel count) will feel right at home.
I believe that until Sigma and Tamron come out with RF mount lenses Canon will continue to round out their 1.2, 1.4 range at exhorbant prices. I moved to the Tamron SP G2 lens when I bought the R and compared to a friends canon EF lenses, in many cases the Tamron is just as good or better.

Upvote 0
I think in the 11 months since the R release, Canon has introduced a nice amount of glass plus a 2nd body. However, reading here, you would think it's been around 5 years and Canon is lagging. Some of you people are unrealistic and downright impatient. It will happen, it just isn't magic or knee jerk reaction R&D. Do yourself a favor and study up on product cycles in the imaging industry.
The 2020 Olympics are causing all the activities IMO

Upvote 0
Because old farts like me prefer to look through a viewfinder!

I'm waiting to replace my 5d3. I would prefer a dslr but I'm willing to look at this new mirrorless if the evf is better than the R has.
What is wrong with the EVF? I find it far superior to older Canons I've owned. Also if the live view only tilts up and down that would be a huge setback to the full articulating of the current ROS R & RP. I would like to see the focus stacking in camera the RP has added.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
... I nearly always was shooting at a shutter speed that my 1DX2 would nail down cold. When it works it is stunning but i can't handle the low keeper rate and it is simply impractical to only use with tripod.

This may not be an apples to apples comparison as many will undoubtedly point out, but I think the analogy can help explain some of what you are seeing. I'm ignoring IS for this discussion.

To freeze motion, shutter speeds must be higher for the smaller pixels found in the APS-C or high-res full frame sensors. I've always used a minimun shutter speed of 1/focal length on FF and 1/2*focal length on APS. But it was really about density, not sensor size. Astrophotography helped me understand why higher shutter speeds are necessary on dense sensors to avoid star trails or blurry images. This table shows maximum shutter duration for various bodies with a 100mm lens attached. The required shutter speed varies based on the density (pixel size) determined by sensor size and MP, https://www.lonelyspeck.com/advanced-astrophotography-shutter-time-calculator/comment-page-3/. I set the tolerance to 11 pixels to show a better range. To get a 1 pixel tolerance simply divide the shutter time by 11.

sensorMPlenstoleranceshutter (seconds)
1DXII FF20100116.2
7DII APS20100113.9
5Ds FF50100113.9
Rs FF80100113.1
M6II APS-C32100113.1
Ra FF30100115.1

Whenever there is movement (whether the subject or me), a similar thing occurs - astrophotography or not. I have the 1DXII and M6II and never use the same settings - even when shooting side by side. On the M6II, I've modified the auto minimum shutter speed under ISO speed settings to +1 which effectively halves the shutter speed and doubles the ISO when I'm in Av. In M mode, I compensate with aperture or ISO. For me, post processing can help with noise without downsampling, blur not so much.

When I was looking at the 5Ds I figured I would need to adjust shutter speed by 2/3 of a stop, roughly the same as shooting with a 7DII. I'm now planning to purchase the Rs, knowing that I might need to shoot at half the shutter speed to achieve equivalent effect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I believe that until Sigma and Tamron come out with RF mount lenses Canon will continue to round out their 1.2, 1.4 range at exhorbant prices. I moved to the Tamron SP G2 lens when I bought the R and compared to a friends canon EF lenses, in many cases the Tamron is just as good or better.
Canon is expanding in both ways gradually, there will be more non-L lenses added to the current 24-240/4-6.3 and 35/1.8

It will be nice to have more options, but the RF-mount will probably benefit from Canon lenses the most, since those were designed from the ground up for that (a collapsible and a pancake lens will be coming for sure)
While other manufacturers will be thinking of other mirrorless mounts as well that are different, so they might not be as ground-breaking, they are just variations of existing ones.
In any case, more options will be better.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
This may not be an apples to apples comparison as many will undoubtedly point out, but I think the analogy can help explain some of what you are seeing. I'm ignoring IS for this discussion.

To freeze motion, shutter speeds must be higher for the smaller pixels found in the APS-C or high-res full frame sensors. I've always used a minimun shutter speed of 1/focal length on FF and 1/2*focal length on APS. But it was really about density, not sensor size. Astrophotography helped me understand why higher shutter speeds are necessary on dense sensors to avoid star trails or blurry images. This table shows maximum shutter duration for various bodies with a 100mm lens attached. The required shutter speed varies based on the density (pixel size) determined by sensor size and MP, https://www.lonelyspeck.com/advanced-astrophotography-shutter-time-calculator/comment-page-3/. I set the tolerance to 11 pixels to show a better range. To get a 1 pixel tolerance simply divide the shutter time by 11.

sensorMPlenstoleranceshutter (seconds)
1DXII FF20100116.2
7DII APS20100113.9
5Ds FF50100113.9
Rs FF80100113.1
M6II APS-C32100113.1
Ra FF30100115.1

Whenever there is movement (whether the subject or me), a similar thing occurs - astrophotography or not. I have the 1DXII and M6II and never use the same settings - even when shooting side by side. On the M6II, I've modified the auto minimum shutter speed under ISO speed settings to +1 which effectively halves the shutter speed and doubles the ISO when I'm in Av. In M mode, I compensate with aperture or ISO. For me, post processing can help with noise without downsampling, blur not so much.

When I was looking at the 5Ds I figured I would need to adjust shutter speed by 2/3 of a stop, roughly the same as shooting with a 7DII. I'm now planning to purchase the Rs, knowing that I might need to shoot at half the shutter speed to achieve equivalent effect.

If you have a subject moving across the field of view, (a star, to take your example) it will describe an arc across the sensor. For any given shutter speed, that arc will be the same whether you are using a 20MP sensor or a 50MP sensor. So if you use a faster shutter speed on the low MP sensor, won't that also reduce the star trail in the same way?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0