Round-up: All of the rumored Canon gear to appear over the last week

Dec 8, 2014
People don't understand frame grabs. You still have to shoot at a shutter speed appropriate for stopping action, which is not the same shutter speed as you would use for video. Shooting at 1/60 sec (normal video) or even at 1/250 sec (for slo-mo) is only going to get you thousands of blurred images. You can shoot at 1/1000 second, but then the video will look like crap. The key to smooth video is to blur the action from one frame to the next, hardly conducive to frame grabs.

If it is a scene without too much of an action, you can, i could pull some good shots from the 1Dx mkII. But usually yes, you are correct. Video features are different from stills, and you must use slow shutters. That´s one of the reasons Canon 1D C didn´t have the desirable sucess...

That´s also the reason Canon made a brilliant change in the 1dx mkIII witch allows that the camera memorize 2 different settings. In video mode you have 1 setting, and in Photo mode you have another. For example you have the shutter 1/1000 for photo and when you change to video automatically change also the shutter for your desire speed (1/50 most common). I lost the count of times I ended up with blurry images because i maintain shutter in 1/50 after recording video and crapy video footage recorded at 1/1600!! :p:p With this new feature, this wont happen no more!! Thumbs up Canon!!! I hope this will also come in the R5!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
Could someone who does video explain why a user would want 8K video.
What would they use it for and who would view it at 8K?
Since I can barely visually detect the improvement of 4K over HD, is it easy to see the difference between 4K and 8K?
Seeing as most video seems to be consumed on phones would you notice 8k over HD on a phone?
Does anyone commercially ask for 8K over 4K or HD? Is it common?
I'm surprised its such a big selling point, is it something that users desire but won't really use?

8K? No, not much of users want! And the reason of recording in 8k would be obvious, you get a lot more space to zoom in without loosing quality (same as crop in stills). Think like photography, why you want more MP if you are a birder? To be able to crop and compose without lose quality. The more MP the more you can crop. In video is the same. Most of the times we can make a zoom with prime lenses witch is great. So, that´s one reaason that even the project you are filming is 1080p you still wanna record in 4k or higher to get more space to zoom or crop.

The other reason is overall image quality, you may not see a difference but there is a difference between 4k and 1080p footage. Also, of course,if you see it in a 4k tv then that difference will become more obvious. These days I always record 4k, because of better quality and zoom, but also because 4k tvs are getting in people´s homes. 2020 will put a lot more 4k tv´s out there. And usually nowadays agencies and productions ask for 4k footage. You wanna be prepared for the future that is ahead.

So this are the reasons! If I will record in 8k? Most probably not. But it´s fun to have! In my personal use, i care only with 4k@60 and 4k@120. Ohhh and it would be fantastic if Canon also put 4k Timelapse video recording (or 8k :) )

Upvote 0
Canon has been behind tech wise with their bodies and has been trying to stop defections
The R was rushed.
These new cameras are being leaked to keep canon customers on the fence within the fold
hopefully they deliver this year

I wonder if Canon decided to make a development announcement for the R5, in order to head off the complaints about a 20mp sensor when they announce the R6.

"This is the camera we are going to release but you have to wait until summer. In the meantime, watch for another announcement in May."

Upvote 0
Why not the R5? Its higher Resolution offers way more options to crop in later.
Or do you expect a better Noise performance from the R6 since it got a lower resolution?

I'm guessing the hope is that the R6 might have a sensor like the 1Diii, which might sacrifice MP for high ISO noise. If that is the case, I also might be more interested in the R6 than the R5 also.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Don't forget you still have all the EF glass
Yes and the macros will all work fine, but a 100mm prime / macro is a really standard lens, and it 'must' come in the RF mount sooner rather than later. I'm very conflicted about whether to wait for a Canon RF version rather than buying an EF to adapt.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Don't forget the Osborne effect though.
I wasn't familiar with this term, but yes, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. Make a development announcement about the R5, but selectively leak that a second camera is coming first, the R6. Some people will wait for the R5, but others may go for the R6, which apparently will be available sooner. Customers can compare the actual specs of the R6 once it is announced, to the presumed specs of the coming R5 and decide which they'd rather have. Especially since the R5 is supposed to be released a month after the R6.

This is less risky than doing it the other way around: Announce the R6 and then "surprise!" spring the R5 on people a month later. Although Canon is notorious for being opaque about their plans, in this case they probably saw benefits to being at least a little more transparent in order to provide some relief valves for the pent up demand for mirrorless among some customers.

I was sincerely hoping (fantasizing) that the R6 would be an action oriented mirrorless, but I suspect that it will instead be a lower cost model, slotted in somewhere between the R and the R5.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon has been behind tech wise with their bodies and has been trying to stop defections
The R was rushed.
These new cameras are being leaked to keep canon customers on the fence within the fold
hopefully they deliver this year

I disagree with these statements. There really isn't anything to substantiate that Canon "has been behind tech wise." There are differences between manufacturers, but Canon is not "behind" in any significant way.

People keep saying the R was rushed or somehow incomplete. But, that assessment usually comes from people who don't use the camera.

In order to keep Canon customers within the fold, there would have to be some indication that customers are "on the fence." Looking at the sales figures that are available, it doesn't appear that Canon has been having any problem with customers moving to another brand.

Canon has acknowledged that their entrance into the mirrorless market was late, but a late entrance does not equate with an inferior entrance. Canon has some catching up to do to solidify its market share, but that will be accomplished with a broader range of products and aggressive marketing.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I disagree with these statements. There really isn't anything to substantiate that Canon "has been behind tech wise." There are differences between manufacturers, but Canon is not "behind" in any significant way.

People keep saying the R was rushed or somehow incomplete. But, that assessment usually comes from people who don't use the camera.

In order to keep Canon customers within the fold, there would have to be some indication that customers are "on the fence." Looking at the sales figures that are available, it doesn't appear that Canon has been having any problem with customers moving to another brand.

Canon has acknowledged that their entrance into the mirrorless market was late, but a late entrance does not equate with an inferior entrance. Canon has some catching up to do to solidify its market share, but that will be accomplished with a broader range of products and aggressive marketing.

If "behind" means "does not have a new sensor when compared to previous model/equivalent model," then yes, the R is behind because Canon reused the 5DIV sensor. However, by the same metric, the a9II is also behind, since it uses the a9 sensor.

I think "behind" can also mean "lacking when compared to the competition." The R's eye autofocus is good, but it's not as good as Sony's, according to most everyone. Does that make it "behind?" Kinda, yeah, even if it's decent. And I can't be the only one who wants to see Canon really push the envelope with its camera tech.

On that note, in terms of specs and also functionality, the R and RP do feel a little under-baked to me, but that of course doesn't make them poor cameras. My RP froze twice last night when I hit the top function button and spun the function wheel, and while I haven't been able to reproduce the glitch, it doesn't inspire confidence in me, especially ahead of my upcoming event work (yes, I have firmware 1.4.0).

I do expect future R cameras to both feel robust and reliable and also have cutting edge specs. Naturally, I expect to pay $3,500-4,500 to get one of them :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

I agree with you. Strange thing is this: I own an R and it doesn't feel rushed to me at all. It's a great camera for portraiture which is what, I think, the initial lenses were more aimed at, to include the 28-70. People say it was rushed, but I have to disagree with them. For my uses, it is a great camera and a very worthy upgrade from the 5D Mark III. I am thrilled with it. I'm also thrilled with the glass. So in my case, Canon did a great job. Was it rushed in the firmware sense? Maybe. People tend to love it or hate it. I am much happier with it than I would have been with a 5D Mark IV. The R5 will be a great camera, but far more camera than I need.

Upvote 0
The question I ask myself is what is considered the more video centric camera between the R5 and R6 cameras? Looking at the specs it should be the R5 but mybe the video functions like the 8k or the 4k120 will have major crop, and on the opposite the low megapixel and specs of the R6 make it a mini 1dX MkIII? I really don't know how to consider either of thes rumored cameras in the Canon lineup.
Consider them hype.

Upvote 0
Still waiting to see that 5DV...

Tbh not interested in 5DV at all, I shoot action/concerts but it's going to be less and less, and I shoot landscapes more and more. Don't need OVF for landscapes, IBIS is good to have but not a must for me.
More megapixels, flip/tilt screen, dynamic range and good low light performance for astro is what I'm waiting for. Canon should really hurry up as right now I have a budget for it and an acute GAS. Been waiting for a good mirrorless since 2018 and it's been too long.

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
I'm gonna keep banging this drum until we know more, but don't be fooled by the "R6" designation yet. We don't know it has anything to do with the 6D line of cameras.
I think R5 is 5D equivalent.
R6 is 6D equivalent.
RP = FF rebel
R = first attempt at FF mirrorless and probably won't have a successor

Competition for market share is more intense than before and Canon is new to the FF mirrorless market and needs to get as many users as possible to the new mount. So, the difference between R5 and R6 probably won't be similar to the difference between 5DIV and 6D II. Both R5 and R6 will have to have very capable AF and video capabilities, so I suspect differences in these aspects will be minimal. The main differences will be in the sensor resolution, number of card slots and weather sealing.
Btw, it is highly likely that R6 will have the same sensor as 1DX III and R5 will have the new generation sensor.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The R did not introduce any new technology, apart from the RF mount of course. And that does not make it rushed, or bad or keep it from being the awesome camera it is.

But it does really look like they made an effort to create a well rounded entry to the mirrorless market to match Nikon while simultaneously working on a number of new technologies that are aimed towards mirrorless, but are only ready now:

- IBIS
- Probably EVF variations
- Huge Throughput
- Highly efficient processor architecture
- Simpler but fast FF shutters
- Supposedly higher DR / lower noise sensor, but I think Canon is just talking about their JPEG / HEIF files there

The M6 II, 90D and 1DX III have all shown that Canon has made a pretty big leap in technology from the last generation, to say the least. IBIS may not be at the price point yet, where they can put it in the M6 II, and in a DSLR it could lead to other issues.

But it looks like they have a bunch of really exciting tech ready and will combine it in the R5, to deliver a camera that is actually ahead of the competition in numerous objective points. And that's on top of the subjective camera aspects where Canon has been the preferred choice for most folks despite the mild improvements we saw over the last years.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0