Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Reading all this I clearly see that You have no clue and You havent actually used a camera (because few of the stuff You are writing is complete nonsense and out of this world) Maybe You have, but for, maybe, few test situations and few minutes. Good luck then with Your DSLRs. Im not returning to those old sh*ts.

I've used them in the stores. If they can't do the job of following a walking person without blur and if they show the windows of the store entirely white, there's no point in buying one to use more. Why would I spend $12k just to find out that I don't like the thing?

DSLRs work. Period. I've never once had any trouble with the viewfinder, and they have many times the battery life. I've framed and manually focused shots that ended up being 30 second exposures at high ISO (i.e. M13 seen through my telescope) on a crop dSLR so any supposed problems in low-light simply don't exist if you don't let a thing like an EVF wreck your dark adaptation. I find all the extra information overlayed onto my scene distracting so I turn it all off. My friend had an A7ii here and I couldn't believe how slow the viewfinder was in responding to changes in lighting. Point at the window and prepare to see all-white for about a second. Point back inside and it's all black for the same time.

When you shoot difficult subjects, you want a viewfinder to simply work, and OVFs do. Current EVFs don't.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Except, I think there is a great unknown here, which is to what extent it is possible to completely replace all the functionality of DSLRs with Mirrorless. I know I am repeating myself, but after six months of regular, heavy use of the R, I am skeptical about the technological hurdles that need to be overcome for Mirrorless to truly replace DSLRs in all functional aspects.

Mirrorless has intrinsic advantages that are not shared by mirrored bodies. But, mirrored bodies also have some intrinsic advantages. I think the mistake that may be being made here is that people are overly optimistic about the pace of mirrorless advances and overly skeptical about the pace of DSLR advances. I am at least willing to entertain the possibility that mirrorless cameras will never be as good as mirrored bodies for certain uses, particularly sports and action. I also feel that mirrorless already outperform mirrored bodies in other areas, such as portraiture.

So, while Canon might want to move to a single format to maximize profits, there are reasons why they may not be able to actually do that for quite some time, or perhaps ever.

This is why I think Canon will still make a 5D5 at the very least, but so far as bringing out slates of NEW EF glass like we are presently accustomed to... I think those days are largely behind us. For sports and nature, the 5D and 1DX lines are the champs (discounting Crops for a moment) and then your larger great whites. I think those could be around (in terms of new sales) longer than your more average/widely used focal lengths simply because we haven't got a MILC yet that can adequately replace what a 1DX3 can do.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Actually its being remorted and obviously noted elsewhere (fstoppers) the R5 replaces the 5dmk4 and R6 replaces the 6D. a Note adorama is requesting used 5dmk4 this week. expect resale prices to drop next week. Already sold my 5D
are you suggesting that 5D IV users should sell their cameras ASAP? Okay. What do I shoot with between now and until the still to be announced and not market proven R5 arrived in 6 months (?) from now? Do I shoot with my iPhone?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Actually its being remorted and obviously noted elsewhere (fstoppers) the R5 replaces the 5dmk4 and R6 replaces the 6D. a Note adorama is requesting used 5dmk4 this week. expect resale prices to drop next week. Already sold my 5D
Fstoppers is as a reliable source of information as Peta Pixel or the Enquirer. Basically a showcase for overprocessed NSFW portraits.

Upvote 0
I've used them in the stores. If they can't do the job of following a walking person without blur and if they show the windows of the store entirely white, there's no point in buying one to use more. Why would I spend $12k just to find out that I don't like the thing?

DSLRs work. Period. I've never once had any trouble with the viewfinder, and they have many times the battery life. I've framed and manually focused shots that ended up being 30 second exposures at high ISO (i.e. M13 seen through my telescope) on a crop dSLR so any supposed problems in low-light simply don't exist if you don't let a thing like an EVF wreck your dark adaptation. I find all the extra information overlayed onto my scene distracting so I turn it all off. My friend had an A7ii here and I couldn't believe how slow the viewfinder was in responding to changes in lighting. Point at the window and prepare to see all-white for about a second. Point back inside and it's all black for the same time.

When you shoot difficult subjects, you want a viewfinder to simply work, and OVFs do. Current EVFs don't.
It's a good thing that your DSLR won't magically stop working after Canon releases another mirror-less camera that you don't want to use. You don't like EVF's. Great. You've made that point many times. Use a DSLR.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This is why I think Canon will still make a 5D5 at the very least, but so far as bringing out slates of NEW EF glass like we are presently accustomed to... I think those days are largely behind us. For sports and nature, the 5D and 1DX lines are the champs (discounting Crops for a moment) and then your larger great whites. I think those could be around (in terms of new sales) longer than your more average/widely used focal lengths simply because we haven't got a MILC yet that can adequately replace what a 1DX3 can do.
I agree. But actually, it seems like those days were already behind us. The 24-105 II and the 70-200 III were very basic refreshes with no optical improvement. It seems like the biggest releases of the past several years have been lighter versions of existing big whites. Even going back a few years, the updates to lenses like the 24-70 f2.8 did improve the optical performance (so I've heard), but it wasn't a new lens.

I think Canon may continue along that path for quite some time. Updating lenses with new coatings or when they improve their manufacturing efficiencies. These are low-cost updates that probably don't take a lot of lens sales to justify. And, really, it hasn't been uncommon for EF lenses to be on a 8-10 year or longer cycle anyway. The only difference may be that now, when an EF lens is not updated, forum experts will say it's because of the RF line.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I agree. But actually, it seems like those days were already behind us. The 24-105 II and the 70-200 III were very basic refreshes with no optical improvement. It seems like the biggest releases of the past several years have been lighter versions of existing big whites. Even going back a few years, the updates to lenses like the 24-70 f2.8 did improve the optical performance (so I've heard), but it wasn't a new lens.

I think Canon may continue along that path for quite some time. Updating lenses with new coatings or when they improve their manufacturing efficiencies. These are low-cost updates that probably don't take a lot of lens sales to justify. And, really, it hasn't been uncommon for EF lenses to be on a 8-10 year or longer cycle anyway. The only difference may be that now, when an EF lens is not updated, forum experts will say it's because of the RF line.
I think the big clue was seeing things like the long sought after 24-70 2.8L IS. Finally came out!! In RF. With no rumored roadmap for an EF version. That’s a top 3 major workhorse lens that to date Canon has yet to even hint at an EF version im aware of. That tells me a lot.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
are you suggesting that 5D IV users should sell their cameras ASAP? Okay. What do I shoot with between now and until the still to be announced and not market proven R5 arrived in 6 months (?) from now? Do I shoot with my iPhone?
Yes. Just buy the DXO made phone camera accessory. All set

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Short answer: Because they may not make a crop RF body just for the 7D camp. Perhaps Canon wants one mount to rule them all.

Longer answer: Folks shooting crop on RF mount bodies face some unpleasant compatibility and focal length options:
  • Use EF-S lenses via adaptor -- probably the best option, but Canon is not exactly pumping out much new glass there
  • Use larger, more expensive (adapted) EF or (new) RF lenses when all they need is the center crop portion of those lenses; if you only shoot crop, you're overpaying for heavier lenses and parts of the FF you will never use.
  • If you refuse to use an adaptor and need a first party UWA zoom option, the crop hoses you. $2699 or nothing for an 11-24L (no one will do that).
FF lenses are more expensive for a host of reasons, but the need to cover a FF image circle with larger optical elements and larger housings is a big part of that.

So Canon aims to migrate all crop users to RF eventually, or just the very specific birding/wildlifing 7D users. The former demands RF-S lenses for that migration to be successful. The latter does not (they likely shoot full EF today and wouldn't mind the burden of FF glass like the general userbase might).

- A

Or they could just keep EF-M going for their crop line.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

If Adorama is begging for used 5D Mark IV bodies, they don't think the price is dropping anytime soon. They might feel that the price will go up if Canon doesn't introduce a 5D Mark V along with the R5?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Shoot? Who here uses camera to actually take pictures? We all just sit around bragging about how "My camera could beat up your camera if I ever actually took a picture with it."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Au contraire mon frere. The "II" was a totally new design that started with a clean sheet of paper.

The only thing the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L and the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II share is focal length range and maximum aperture. The "II" is a totally different design. The original was fully recessed at 70mm and had maximum extension at 24mm. The "II" is a more conventional design that extend at 70mm and is recessed at 24mm.

Look at their respective block diagrams;

EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L:

1580968213804.png

EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II:

1580968232580.png

Upvote 0