Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Sure, but for every answer to your question that says 'bite the bullet and move to RF to future proof my world', there are takeaways. Consider a current 5D4 owner sizing up a move to an R5:
  • Will EF really go away during the 4-5 years I will use this new body?
  • Will I miss my OVF, the responsiveness, etc.?
  • Will I go through a painful migration (to mirrorless and the control set in general) in a new R5 only to see a 5D5 come out with the same specs at some point?
I think the R5 specs will flip a lot of 5D3 holdouts and current 5D4 users, don't get me wrong. But I think a 5D5 with similar specs will happen.

- A
Can someone explain to me why Canon does not confirm if a 5DV will be launched? What do they have to loose? They still don't know if they will do it by now?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Can someone explain to me why Canon does not confirm if a 5DV will be launched? What do they have to loose? They still don't know if they will do it by now?
Canon seldom confirms any upcoming launch. The exception being development announcements which are generally saved for things like the 1Dx and some big white lenses. If they do confirm any other bodies or lenses, it's usually just a matter of weeks before the formal announcement. I'm guessing, and it's all guessing at this point. that the 5DV will follow the new R5, but may not be announced for six months or more. It will have the same sensor as the R5, but everything else is anyone's guess. I would also say that there is a slim chance that the 5DV and the R5 will either be announced or released at the same time, but I doubt it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
If Adorama is begging for used 5D Mark IV bodies, they don't think the price is dropping anytime soon. They might feel that the price will go up if Canon doesn't introduce a 5D Mark V along with the R5?

Adorama doesn't care if prices go up or down for that market. They buy today to sell tomorrow at a good profit. Of course, inventory carries risks, but they put them up for sale the moment they're inspected and ready. Buy today, sell tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Canon seldom confirms any upcoming launch. The exception being development announcements which are generally saved for things like the 1Dx and some big white lenses. If they do confirm any other bodies or lenses, it's usually just a matter of weeks before the formal announcement. I'm guessing, and it's all guessing at this point. that the 5DV will follow the new R5, but may not be announced for six months or more. It will have the same sensor as the R5, but everything else is anyone's guess. I would also say that there is a slim chance that the 5DV and the R5 will either be announced or released at the same time, but I doubt it.

I suppose that:

1. the vast majority of people who will buy the R5 will not buy the 5DV, and vice-versa;
2. the vast majority of OVF lovers will get the R5 if the 5DV won't ever be released;

So I think it is good (and important, actually) for both Canon and Canon users to clarify as soon as possible if the 5DV will be released or not.

For now EVF takes most of the peasure out of photography to me, so I'd be willing to wait for the 5DV. But if they tell me it won't ever be released I'll probably get the R5 right after it's launched to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I suppose that:

1. the vast majority of people who will buy the R5 will not buy the 5DV, and vice-versa;
2. the vast majority of OVF lovers will get the R5 if the 5DV won't ever be released;

So I think it is good (and important, actually) for both Canon and Canon users to clarify as soon as possible if the 5DV will be released or not.

For now EVF takes most of the peasure out of photography to me, so I'd be willing to wait for the 5DV. But if they tell me it won't ever be released I'll probably get the R5 right after it's launched to see how it goes.

You left out #3:

There are a few 5D Mark IV users who will be unable to resist having the "latest and greatest" EOS "5" camera and will buy an R5 when it releases this summer as Canon remains silent about the possibility of a 5D Mark V. Shortly thereafter, if Canon rolls out a 5D Mark V, they'll buy one of those, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I suppose that:

I think the vast majority of OVF 5DIV lovers will just keep their 5DIVs for a few more years. Gear heads on forums feel the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest, but most photographers are quite happy to keep their cameras for a few generations. If I owned the 5DIV and wanted to keep using an OVF - and needed to replace my existing camera - I would just buy another 5DIV, either new or used. Despite all the usual internet hoopla, their is never that much difference from one generation camera to the next.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think the vast majority of OVF 5DIV lovers will just keep their 5DIVs for a few more years. Gear heads on forums feel the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest, but most photographers are quite happy to keep their cameras for a few generations. If I owned the 5DIV and wanted to keep using an OVF - and needed to replace my existing camera - I would just buy another 5DIV, either new or used. Despite all the usual internet hoopla, their is never that much difference from one generation camera to the next.
I’m excellent at convincing myself that there is a big difference.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
You left out #3:

There are a few 5D Mark IV users who will be unable to resist having the "latest and greatest" EOS "5" camera and will buy an R5 when it releases this summer as Canon remains silent about the possibility of a 5D Mark V. Shortly thereafter, if Canon rolls out a 5D Mark V, they'll buy one of those, too.
Yes, I left those out, as well as those who will be happy to use previous 5D/6D/7D versions until they stop working. That's why I said "the vast majority". ;)
My point was just that I think Canon, from a business perspective, wouldn't loose anything by informing what they intend to do about the 5DV by the time they release the R5. On the contrary, it would be good for everyone.
But I'm not an expert whatsoever, I'm happy to hear other people's opinions about this issue.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Well, the 5DII had a 20mp sensor, twice the mp of the 5D, along with Liveview and video, the 5DIII had a major AF upgrade, and the 5DIV had a significant sensor upgrade, along with touch focus and touch control of camera settings. Even so, I agree that a lot, likely most, of 5DIV owners who don't want to move to mirrorless will stick with what they have. There are still quite a few people with 5DIII's out there though.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yes, I left those out, as well as those who will be happy to use previous 5D/6D/7D versions until they stop working. That's why I said "the vast majority". ;)
My point was just that I think Canon, from a business perspective, wouldn't loose anything by informing what they intend to do about the 5DV by the time they release the R5. On the contrary, it would be good for everyone.
But I'm not an expert whatsoever, I'm happy to hear other people's opinions about this issue.

They would lose current 5DIV sales.

I spoke to a Canon rep who was most unhappy about how early they announced the new 1D model. It killed his ability to sell the current model, and Canon did NOT decrease his quota in the least.

Upvote 0
I've used them in the stores. If they can't do the job of following a walking person without blur and if they show the windows of the store entirely white, there's no point in buying one to use more. Why would I spend $12k just to find out that I don't like the thing?

DSLRs work. Period. I've never once had any trouble with the viewfinder, and they have many times the battery life. I've framed and manually focused shots that ended up being 30 second exposures at high ISO (i.e. M13 seen through my telescope) on a crop dSLR so any supposed problems in low-light simply don't exist if you don't let a thing like an EVF wreck your dark adaptation. I find all the extra information overlayed onto my scene distracting so I turn it all off. My friend had an A7ii here and I couldn't believe how slow the viewfinder was in responding to changes in lighting. Point at the window and prepare to see all-white for about a second. Point back inside and it's all black for the same time.

When you shoot difficult subjects, you want a viewfinder to simply work, and OVFs do. Current EVFs don't.

Man, thats the point, YOU HAVENT USED IT and You are talking bullsh*t - Iam professional photographer for almost 15years and I have used almost all of Canons DSLRs. Now I use R for more than Year. And believe me, You are talking nonsence with no experience. And comparing to DSLRs - mirrorless just work lot better. Focus is always spot on (and its just impossible with DSLRs) and I dont even want to start with all other benefits.

Curent EVFs just work better as I said. And technology gives so much more possibilities. Comparing to dinosour old A7II is just stupid - very bad camera with ancient technology.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Man, thats the point, YOU HAVENT USED IT

I have used many EVF cameras, since the 1980s. I own several. I don't own an EVF ILC because, when I test them in the stores, they have all the same problems all the EVF cameras I've ever owned have.

and You are talking bullsh*t - Iam professional photographer for almost 15years and I have used almost all of Canons DSLRs.

I've been a photographer since 1979. So what?

Now I use R for more than Year. And believe me, You are talking nonsence with no experience. And comparing to DSLRs - mirrorless just work lot better.

Please show me some shots you've taken, of high-speed moving subjects, framed tightly, at 900mm-equivalent or more, preferably a long burst showing you kept it tightly framed while tracking and shooting. I have dozens or hundreds of such shots and burst take on SLRs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the 5D3 and did not upgrade when the 5D4 arrived. Now looking forward to R5, and if it meets the hype, will likely upgrade. Two generations of improvement will make it a worthwhile move. Looking forward to early reviews. Many other aspects of the design are yet to be revealed. I think I can adapt to mirrorless operation.

Upvote 0