There will not be an EOS 5D Mark V [CR2]

I went shooting the other day with the EOS R and the 5DSR. Using the 5DSR again after adapting to mirrorless was like going back to the stone age. I know there are plenty of people who love DSLRs, but no-way I'd ever go back to using one as my primary camera again.

I shoot with the 5DSR and can't wait for the arrival of my R5! I am so jealous of my friends shooting Nikon Z7 and Sony A7RIV and their fancy little tilty flippy screens, eye detection, superior focusing systems, zebra lines, etc., etc. :p

Bob

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
To be fair, bigger size is no technical advantage of DSLR.

I don't think the 1DX III OVF AF could be reused in a cheaper model. After all, it is not the sensor, processor or LiveView AF that makes the thing so expensive (All of those are found in the much cheaper R6). Sure, there is build quality - but that brutal mirror motion and the second sensor may be just too hard to make to bring them down to lower bodies. Otherwise the abandoning of the 5 and 7 series makes less sense to me.

I get the impression that Canon just can't bring a DSLR to the level of speed and AF performance the R6 / R5 bring to the table without also making it more expensive than they'd like.
They can come close and still succeed. For example same sensor and digic as R5 but let's say 10fps mechanical and 20 fps electronic is no disaster at all. Cards same as of R5. AF system same as 1DxIII (just like 5D4 and 1DxII).
Done! I would upgrade and maybe I would get a second one!

Upvote 0
EVF’s are a long way from replacing the abilities of OVF’s and until they can there will still be an active DSLR user base.
At 120Hz, EVF isn't far off a real-time OVF. And EVFs are actually better in the dark. OVFs are on a very thin ice at the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
...and Canon is many things, but they are neither cocky nor abrupt.
I don't know about that one. They are the guys who tried to tell the people they don't need 24p, and maintain a similar position about many other features. There is a reason Magic Lantern existed. There is nothing wrong with it and I agree that crippling is the wrong word. But as I see it, Canon absolutely has an image of what the majority of people value enough to pay for and is comfortably withholding things that they don't really need. Even though they want it.

I can see how Canon sees the 5D V as one of those things. People want it, but the majority may not need it enough to make it worth putting the effort into a fading system.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I shoot with the 5DSR and can't wait for the arrival of my R5! I am so jealous of my friends shooting Nikon Z7 and Sony A7RIV and their fancy little tilty flippy screens, eye detection, superior focusing systems, zebra lines, etc., etc. :p

Bob
I do birding with 5DsR and I like it a lot! Recently I replaced it with a new one (and I part exchanged the older one for another product). I am not envy of these things. I also have a 5DIV for low light/landscape/general purpose shots.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Also, if true, this would mean the beginning of the end of the chunky grip for the 99% of us who don't shoot a 1-series body.

The 'mirrorless is all about being small' may have utterly lost the argument at this point (I refer you to a growing tide of awesome RF pickle jar lenses), but they did push Canon into an A7-ification of the body/grip strategy.

R/R5 have much better grips than A7, but you take my point: Canon doesn't seem to be scaling up grip and body sizes for bodies more likely to be toting those huge lenses. This is Canon following suit to Sony in broad strokes rather than sticking to its guns, which has got to be painful for them. One can only assume they have market data that shows that the R platform is 'first impressions DOA' if they went with SLR-experience informed chunky grips.

I personally loved Canon's old model. The nicer the rig --> more likely bigger glass is going on it --> you get a chunkier grip. #sadness

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IVS

Abbey Gatto
Nov 17, 2015
No huge surprise. But full committment to mirrorless.
Confirmation that Canon is convinced that the R5 will meet (and esceed) all needs of former 5DIV users.
We'll see about that when it comes down to battery life... Some might need to rent a mule just to carry those LP-E6NH miracle juicers around :D:p

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
They can come close and still succeed. For example same sensor and digic as R5 but let's say 10fps mechanical and 20 fps electronic is no disaster at all. Cards same as of R5. AF system same as 1DxIII (just like 5D4 and 1DxII).
Done! I would upgrade and maybe I would get a second one!
But that's what I'm saying. Take a look at how the AF in the 1DX III OVF works. It is unlike anything we've seen before. I would not make any bets that they can reuse that at a lower price point.

It is not about how much they can improve it. It is about how much they can improve it while reducing costs - after all it will be purchased less than previous 5 series models due to the RF system.

Upvote 0
There will be no direct DSLR successor for the EOS 5D Mark IV.
NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!!

The same source adds that Canon is obviously aware of the popularity of the 5D line and the fact that there are still a lot of shooters that will prefer the DSLR experience. The source suspects that there is some kind of development going on to appease those users, but didn’t know exactly what it was.
Ehhhhhhhhhh?? So, some hope after all...........??

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Makes sense given what the specs of the R5 have ended up being.

Fixed that for you :cool: .

Reminder, we don't know if this is a problem-free camera that delivers on all the fronts it advertises. I trust Canon and expect it to be a zinger of a product, but I would not be shocked if:

1) There are some niggling issues that make that spec sheet seem a tad less shiny. 12/20 fps coming with major baggage depending on what is turned on, we've seen the recording time vs heat information, etc. 12 bit RAW for stills in some of the more demanding modes might also be a letdown for some.​
2) The IBIS is only good and not great. Canon may be setting itself up for some embarrassment if folks only get 5 stops of IBIS instead of the 8 they advertise on some lenses.​

So I am surprised Canon -- again, if this rumor is true -- might be dangling this rumor before reviews truly cement the performance and launch dollars of this product.

- A

Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
I would be very surprised (but also deeply saddened) to see any more EF bodies or glass appearing. I have always been a very happy EOS-1-range user, so am loving the 1DX3, but as one of the three people on the planet who has always carried the 35-350L (originally) and then the 28-300L, I have been waiting desperately for an update to that: 24-300L EF would be a dream, and sadly it turns out that it will only ever be a dream.

Upvote 0
How well does EF glass "actually" perform on an R5?

EF glass performs better on R bodies than it does on native DSLRs. AF off sensor is simply more accurate and flexible than through an OVF. The trade off is ergonomics, depending on the lens.

I can understand why some would be resistant to mirrorless. Perhaps the OVF has already been romanticized, similar to how shooting on film has been. Some will never make the switch, and that's okay. I suspect 5DIV's will continue to function for decades+ into the future and will always be an option for people, whether they shoot professionally or otherwise.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
It's a huge gamble though. What if Canon's bet is off base, and those working professionals demand that OVF and will not cough up for a 1DXIII - do they look to a Nikon D850 even though it's a bit old(ish), or do they snap up some cheap 5D IVs for the next 4 years until they're ready to transition? I'm sure canon's internal numbers give insight int buying behaviour, but no-matter how you slice it, killing off the 5D for anything is a massive leap. Maybe their numbers suggested the 1D users would jump ship if that transition was too abrupt (hence the decision for another 1-series) where the 5D users were more accepting.

Why would a person switch their entire system - not just body, lenses and flashes and everything else - just to avoid Canon mirrorless? Because there would be significant cost to doing that, which would far exceed the cost of trading in a MK IV and purchasing a 1DX III, superior in every way to the MK IV except for size/weight and megapixels. The D850 gets you to 45 MP, sure, but a 5DS gets you to 50, and though I agree it lags behind both the MK IV and D850 in other ways, those gaps are addressed either by the 1DX or by moving to mirrorless and buying an EF>RF adapter.

Bottom line - The 1DX III exists because there wasn't and still isn't a mirrorless equivalent. The 5D MK V won't exist because there is.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
At 120Hz, EVF isn't far off a real-time OVF. And EVFs are actually better in the dark. OVFs are on a very thin ice at the moment.
OVF’s are on no more thin ice than film cameras. There are millions of them out there and millions more bargain lenses as the majority transition to MILC’s, but they work perfectly and unlike film cameras they don’t rely on anything else. 120Hz might be better than 60Hz, but many users will never transition fully or even partially to battery hungry EVF’s. Who cares if there isn’t another generation of OVF cameras? I don’t, I know and fully accept the limitations in my image making are my own, not because I don’t have more FPS, an EVF, RF lenses, eye tracking etc etc.

Upvote 0
Which means R5 pre-sales are possibly through the roof, and now they have some data-driven confidence that they can telegraph to us that the 5D's days are numbered.
Or, perhaps means that pre-sales are not that amazing, with lots of 5 series users reporting back that they will just wait to see what gives with a 5Dv before making a decision, and Canon have decided that a 'helpful' rumour leak to push ditherers (like me) over the edge and more firmly into the R5/6 camp may be useful......?
Just wondering out loud ;)

I have to admit that I, regretfully, feel the R5 may well be the nail in the 5D coffin.

Cheers Stoical.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
How well does EF glass "actually" perform on an R5?

I've seen some reviews by shooters with pre-pro copies that say their legacy(EF) glass actually performs better than on their EF bodies, because of the superior AF system in the R5, which makes complete sense. I don’t see why it would perform worse, presuming you’re using one of Canon’s own designed and manufactured adapters. There were those saying the same thing with production copies of the R and RP, as well.

Upvote 0