DPReview: Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised – but that’s not enough

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I couldn’t think of anything else in a wedding that the couple would want in slomo.

I wonder about even needing 4K for many things today, certainly news does not use it as final product in many productions, but to consider marketability and future proofing, or leaving room to crop or down sample- I think it makes sense. Plus, people became excited about the possibilities.

60FPS is useful to get smoother looking footage, it just has a look, although blended onto 30fps timelines with other footage....

120FPS for really slowing something down might be useful to catch transitioning expressions or flowers tossed or who knows- I am sure a good creative wedding shooter can make use.

I also concede the point that just being able to advertise you could do these things, when someone else cannot, might be good marketing to get jobs. Just be sure to word the ad as" I can get you 2 mins of 8K, additional 2 minutes cost $3899" :ROFLMAO:

Regardless, no camera can do it all yet , as much as many wished and hoped when Canon carelessly boasted about their limited features. I'm happy to accept what these cameras are and wait for fixes, or a next generation hybrid that can really do it all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
From Canon’s website:
“It’s an ideal choice for a large range of photographic and cinematographic environments from weddings, portraits, sports, journalism, landscape, cinematography and more.”

Looks like Canon has clearly and publicly stated that the R5 was designed to be the ideal choice for professional video. Do you own this camera? Why do you want to give Canon a pass on these obvious defects? Did you know there are reports of the R5 overheating from only shooting stills? I’m sorry, but if Canon does not directly address these defects this camera is being returned. I’ll cast my vote with my wallet. You are welcomed to do likewise.
No thanks. I have a tight grip on mine. :love:

Upvote 0
This is a really neat trick of misdirection that we're all getting sucked into. I have to hand it to the Sony promoters on social media.

First, these Youtube reviewers basically conduct tests that do nothing but confirm the info that Canon already put out from day one. But they act like they've discovered something new.

Second, they get people to pay attention to video features that most will not use or not use very intensively, and ignore the most important features of the camera for stills.

Someone else asked this on another forum: how many hobbyists use the video features on their mirrorless or DSLRs? Especially for long periods of time? You have to learn about the various video codecs, frame rates, etc...and then edit in complex programs on your computer, and then export for viewing. How many people realistically do that, especially among those who are not pro's?

Among pro's...the one's I know are very prepared. They test equipment before buying it and using it and plan on how they want to use it. The pro's will know what to do and what not to do with this camera. They do not need consumer type reviews.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
That IS NOT how the R5 works, when it gives a temperature warning and shuts off from capturing high resolution video you can immediately turn the camera back on and use it for still and or regular video. The only thing you get locked out of is the highest video specs.

to reiterate, the R5 NEVER bricks or locks you out of stills or regular video even if it just shutdown.
Yeah, that’s what I used to argue... until I got the camera. Trust me, you are never going to want to shoot normal 4K mode, once you’ve seen the difference in quality to the HQ mode. And also of note: the stills quality decreases when the camera overheats. One last thing... shooting stills alone can overheat this camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
Looks like the Sony A7s III wins for video.
Um yeah. The 12 MP "hybrid" camera that is 95% video focused and 5% stills focused wins for long-duration video. Is anyone surprised by this?

All this bantering back and forth comes down to one thing. When someone says a small, mirrorless camera is a hybrid camera do you expect it to be stills focused? Or video focused? What split? 50/50? 80/20? 20/80? You can't design a camera that does it all and that will likely always be true. When technology improves and the canon R5 Mark III can do 75MP stills and unlimited 8K video there will be some other feature that it can't do as well as a dedicated video camera (or dedicated stills camera).

When designing the R5 canon went with the 80/20 split. If that upsets you or doesn't meet your needs and you wanted a 5/95 split then obviously the camera is not for you. But they didn't dupe the camera world, they didn't forget (LOL) to add a heat sink, and they aren't going to recall and completely redesign the camera to match YOUR needs. The camera clearly meets a large segment of the market's needs as it is sold out everywhere.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Upvote 0
Extra...extra...read all about it: Tests confirm Canon was honest in its video specs.

Most people buying this camera are using it for stills. Yet most reviews and internet chatter center on the video features, and the high end ones at that and involve technical minutiae to really grasp. So are most reviewers relevant any longer?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Um yeah. The 12 MP "hybrid" camera that is 95% video focused and 5% stills focused wins for long-duration video. Is anyone surprised by this?

All this bantering back and forth comes down to one thing. When someone says a small, mirrorless camera is a hybrid camera do you expect it to be stills focused? Or video focused? What split? 50/50? 80/20? 20/80? You can't design a camera that does it all and that will likely always be true. When technology improves and the canon R5 Mark III can do 75MP stills and unlimited 8K video there will be some other feature that it can't do as well as a dedicated video camera (or dedicated stills camera).

When designing the R5 canon went with the 80/20 split. If that upsets you or doesn't meet your needs and you wanted a 5/95 split then obviously the camera is not for you. But they didn't dupe the camera world, they didn't forget (LOL) to add a heat sink, and they aren't going to recall and completely redesign the camera to match YOUR needs. The camera clearly meets a large segment of the market's needs as it is sold out everywhere.
Are the splits here based on your opinion? Don't think any video shooter is asking for 8K. People will always want more, and thats a good thing.

Upvote 0

All this bantering back and forth comes down to one thing. When someone says small, mirrorless camera is a hybrid camera do you expect it to be stills focused? Or video focused? What split? 50/50? 80/20? 20/80? You can't design a camera that does it all and that will likely always be true. When technology improves and the canon R5 Mark III can do 75MP stills and unlimited 8K video there will be some other feature that it can't do as well as a dedicated video camera (or dedicated stills camera).

Most people don’t actually use these things. They are just gear heads talking. People that will actually use these bodies recognize what they are. The R5 is probably the best overall stills camera Canon has ever made; the Sony is something new for the industry, it’s essentially a low end cinema camera in a DSLR form factor ( minus the built in nds, connections etc). It is absolutely going to be the best tool for low budget long form video people.

The Sony is absolute crap as a photo camera, but everyone knew what it would be, as Sony didn’t sell it as a be all.

Canon’s big mistake was selling this thing as the ultimate hybrid body. If they would have marketed it as the best overall stills camera, that happens to do a little video, the market would have responded much differently to the limitations.

This is a massive marketing blunder for Canon.

I can’t wait to get an R5 of my own though (as a stills guy). Hopefully people complain enough to suppress the price while I pick up more lenses first ;-).

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I wonder about even needing 4K for many things today, certainly news does not use it as final product in many productions, but to consider marketability and future proofing, or leaving room to crop or down sample- I think it makes sense. Plus, people became excited about the possibilities.

60FPS is useful to get smoother looking footage, it just has a look, although blended onto 30fps timelines with other footage....

120FPS for really slowing something down might be useful to catch transitioning expressions or flowers tossed or who knows- I am sure a good creative wedding shooter can make use.

I also concede the point that just being able to advertise you could do these things, when someone else cannot, might be good marketing to get jobs. Just be sure to word the ad as" I can get you 2 mins of 8K, additional 2 minutes cost $3899" :ROFLMAO:

Regardless, no camera can do it all yet , as much as many wished and hoped when Canon carelessly boasted about their limited features. I'm happy to accept what these cameras are and wait for fixes, or a next generation hybrid that can really do it all.
I have used 4k on my iPhone for cropping purposes, so I understand that, though see less point if you have zoom and interchangeable lenses.

I didn’t think about the flower toss. That would be a good use. Even the rice tossing could be nice. But I wonder about shooting the whole wedding at 120 just to get a few seconds of slomo when the events are predictable enough to allow changing speeds.

Do photographers really deliver videos at 60fps? Editing down to 30fps, software will just skip frames. You could shoot at 30 using the faster shutter speed for the same effect, which is often considered less smooth. That’s why I mentioned soaps.

I really hoped for a reply from a wedding photographer who actually needs these speeds for some reason.

Upvote 0
"Doing a wedding shoot" doesn't seem like torture testing though?

DP Review: Both the EOS R5 and R6 appear capable of working as promised
Wikipedia: Torture testing involves testing beyond normal operational capacity, often to a breaking point, in order to observe the results.

You connect the dots.

Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
Are the splits here based on your opinion? Don't think any video shooter is asking for 8K. People will always want more, and thats a good thing.
The splits are arbitrary for the purposes of discussion.

What is clear is that Canon designed the R5 as a stills camera and then added complimentary video features. It can be thought of as a best-in-class 45MP stills camera (with top level AF, IBIS, DR, sharpness, colors) that does full frame 4K video (something that people slammed previous Canon cameras for lacking) with additional cutting edge video features like 8K that are heat limited.

How could Canon have improved the video? Sony already showed how. Reduce the MP down to 12. No 8K or 4KHQ modes. Stills output reduced from class leading to "uh, well, it is good for postage stamp sized social media". There are compromises either way depending on which direction you want the split to go--I'll let you assign numbers for yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020

Finally a photography review !!! so sick of the temperature reviews. The internet has gotten mad... The only thing that people seem to care about when it comes to cameras since a month is the temperature of the body..

What a nice relaxing video. A welcome break from the outrage droning everywhere.

and lol @ the A7SIII stills side by side comparisons for kicks.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You're kind of picking and choosing who you want to believe. There are plenty of reviews done on the EOS R5 in a [VIDEO] production/work environment, and how difficult it is to deal with the cooldown.

Even the guy that did your video says you'd probably need multiple bodies to properly do a wedding.

No one is disputing the quality of the footage.
Why? That is the question so many people are asking, I want to see pro photographers results not production video shooters work. If I was interested in a C200 vs C300 then Gerald and Armando, PotatoJet et al would be great references, BUT the R5 is predominantly a stills orientated hybrid along the lines of the α7R IV, and Canon never said otherwise.

If you are going to compare cameras how does the R5 compare to either the 5D MkIV or the α7R IV? If you are going to rig it up with thousands of dollars worth of video grip gear and use it as you would your C500 don't be surprised when it lets you down because it cost 1/3 the price!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0