Here are different ways to cool the Canon EOS R5, watercooling and more

You missed it, the video show that with only internal cooper plate, back of the camera is at 50 C.
Yep, missed it... canon wouldn't allow an external surface >~35C even if it is not a place where you would place your finders. Not sure what that temperature level would do to the rear LCD display if placed face in either but Canon could use a timer if the LCD is locked away with a warning in the view finder to open it up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Interesting but also sad. Imagine if Canon had done the heat sink themselves and wouldn't have incurred the negative press they got. The marketing would have matched reality.

Also I missed it. I wonder how 4k 120 and 4k HQ does with just the custom copper plate as it currently lasts longer than 8k.

I will say even now, for many use cases, the overheating isn't even an issue anymore and is just click bait BS. It is an amazing camera and video camera either way.
I agree but I’ve never overheated or hit my temp./rec time limits either since getting mine on July 30. I honestly thought that everyone else’s units were defective.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The fact that a single copper plate and some thermal paste can almost completely alleviate the thermal issues just goes to show how badly this camera is designed.

You assume that there wasn't some reason they could not duct the heat to the surface of the camera, for example liability or regulation on how hot they could allow it to get.

In other words they may have had no choice but to design it "badly."

Upvote 0
I’ve seen 2 articles on fstoppers on YT ad-revenue:

one said that 1000 views equates to roughly $4.9. The other one said $3. 1M views gets you 3K. So far, he’s approaching the 350K so from ad revenue alone he’s made at least a grand. Plus no doubt from the direct advertising he also makes some on top. Making it >10 mins or multiple of 10 mins apparently increases ad revenue so you can sell more.

For a video posted in November starting off with the v1 firmware times is disappointing. And in fact even after the firmware upgrade, he still mentions 2 hours cool down. Which isn't what I found in my tests with a simple USB fan, especially if you are indoors in controlled conditions. But hey, the full truth doesn't sell YT minutes.

His suggestion of making a grip add on, negates the point as others have mentioned, that for photographers you would be pushing heat to the bottom or the back and not dispersing it efficiently, which Canon couldn't do. Great for video, indoors, on a tripod. Ditto the copper heat sink.

Bottom line - he's talented enough to put together a reasonable solution, which many will want to try for themselves. And he's not as bad as others on YT bending the facts to promote his point (guess that's why he has 2.5m followers). And for his use-case (indoor 8k), sure it will work well enough (assuming an external mic, which isnt near to the fan at the back).

Personally, I think I will wait for the Easter 2021 firmware and see what the Raw light and other modes, and then see where things stand.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
For a video posted in November starting off with the v1 firmware times is disappointing. And in fact even after the firmware upgrade, he still mentions 2 hours cool down. Which isn't what I found in my tests with a simple USB fan, especially if you are indoors in controlled conditions. But hey, the full truth doesn't sell YT minutes.

I was thinking the same, and though he didn't say exactly these words I think he did that purposefully to test whether there was a timer component to the shutdown warnings. And his results did show that when it still kicked off even when the water cooler was on and the camera components cool. So cat's out of the bag on that one, Canon! lol.

-Brian

Upvote 0

leviathan18

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2019

one said that 1000 views equates to roughly $4.9. The other one said $3. 1M views gets you 3K. So far, he’s approaching the 350K so from ad revenue alone he’s made at least a grand. Plus no doubt from the direct advertising he also makes some on top. Making it >10 mins or multiple of 10 mins apparently increases ad revenue so you can sell more.

His suggestion of making a grip add on, negates the point as others have mentioned, that for photographers you would be pushing heat to the bottom or the back and not dispersing it efficiently, which Canon couldn't do. Great for video, indoors, on a tripod. Ditto the copper heat sink.

Bottom line - he's talented enough to put together a reasonable solution, which many will want to try for themselves. And he's not as bad as others on YT bending the facts to promote his point (guess that's why he has 2.5m followers). And for his use-case (indoor 8k), sure it will work well enough (assuming an external mic, which isnt near to the fan at the back).

Personally, I think I will wait for the Easter 2021 firmware and see what the Raw light and other modes, and then see where things stand.

the recovery time waas 5 min after the mod, go watch the video again

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

one said that 1000 views equates to roughly $4.9. The other one said $3.
Youtube ads are bid on depending on the content the algorithm finds videos that best match the bids and inserts the ads.
Every video basically has a different rate.
The creators also have the option to have more ads.
The length of the video also helps determine the number of ads.
(This post has been brought to you by skillshare)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I was thinking the same, and though he didn't say exactly these words I think he did that purposefully to test whether there was a timer component to the shutdown warnings. And his results did show that when it still kicked off even when the water cooler was on and the camera components cool. So cat's out of the bag on that one, Canon! lol.

-Brian
Agreed, but that was all discussed and discovered in August. In that respect, nothing new here I think. He orchestrated about 9 mins around v1 just to double the video length so he maximises his ad revenue (don’t blame him).

Even the tear down in China pre v1.1 hardware suggested timers and poor cooling.

His solution is neat, and for anyone that likes to dabble, eminently achievable if you need those recording times and you don’t care too much about the warranty. I prefer to see what happens with the next firmware, since 1.1 makes things more usable for my purposes.

Upvote 0
Agreed, but that was all discussed and discovered in August. In that respect, nothing new here I think. He orchestrated about 9 mins around v1 just to double the video length so he maximises his ad revenue (don’t blame him).

Even the tear down in China pre v1.1 hardware suggested timers and poor cooling.

His solution is neat, and for anyone that likes to dabble, eminently achievable if you need those recording times and you don’t care too much about the warranty. I prefer to see what happens with the next firmware, since 1.1 makes things more usable for my purposes.
There is quite a few arguments about whether a timer exist or not given all those evidence. I think the watercooling on v1 part give the conclusion for that.
As for warranty, 1 year later when majority of purchase have warranty expired then this is very relevant.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
As for warranty, 1 year later when majority of purchase have warranty expired then this is very relevant.
I bought an extended warranty.
It was kind of underhanded because the camera store tricked me into thinking that maybe my R5 had arrived when it was still weeks away but they offered me a large discount plus an extra year of warranty.

Upvote 0
Very interesting video and clever solution to dissipate the heat generated by the camera. The solution presented here is clever but surely no rocket science; makes you think why Canon hasn't taken the effort to simply add some extra copper inside the R5 and at least make a decent attempt to solve the overheating problem instead of a simple software timer. As the presenter mentions: it shouldn't have been a big problem for Canon to design a decent cooling system like the one shown in the end and even make a bigger profit.

Indeed, a very simple improvement to the camera. As it is minimally invasive, Canon could make a running change to the produciton and exchange the internal metal heat spreader and transfer heat to the backside. Probably Canon won't, as they said in an interview they didn't want to have hot surfaces and rather not risk "low temperature burns", and this solution causes 50°C surface temperature, which is just at the edge of being touchable, but certainly not for prolonged time.

This solution, however, represents an opportunity for a 3rd party conversion service. ;-)

Upvote 0
Well, it just proves that all the people bashing EOSHD owe the guy some apology. Canon apparently could do much better job here, but decided not to. Most probably not purposedly, but thinking that it should be good enough for stills camera anyway.

Would they allow transfer of the heat to the bottom or the back of the camera, they could easily create a grip for the cooling purpose, having a solution for those, who really need it.

It is just unbelievable, unbearable and embarrassing.

Upvote 0
This solution would make the back of the camera dangerously hot.
There is no way that Canon would go with this

What you call being "dangerously hot" is just your opinion. They could as well lead it to the bottom plate and create a special grip with some cooling fan. It would allow extended time of operation only with such system being attached. So you consider back being hot a problem, but the unit going up to 82C being OK, right?

Upvote 0
What you call being "dangerously hot" is just your opinion. They could as well lead it to the bottom plate and create a special grip with some cooling fan. It would allow extended time of operation only with such system being attached. So you consider back being hot a problem, but the unit going up to 82C being OK, right?
True, 25min without "fan grip". Unlimited with "fan grip".

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
It is not his opinion... It is based off of at the very least the ECMA-287 Standard. I believe that Europe has adopted even stricter standards for electronics and wearables.

Anything that is continuously held by a non skilled person should be limited to a surface temperature of 43°C and below.
1607016079949.png

Canon's design is likely more aimed at keeping that 82°C away from the external surface then it is about cooling the camera.
  • Heat pads vs thermal paste.
  • no real heat flow from the thermal pads to the back of the Camera.
A skilled engineer (and Canon has loads) knew what they were trying to do an it appears they achieved it.

Safe operating temperatures.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It is not his opinion... It is based off of at the very least the ECMA-287 Standard. I believe that Europe has adopted even stricter standards for electronics and wearables.

Anything that is continuously held by a non skilled person should be limited to a surface temperature of 43°C and below.
View attachment 194270

Canon's design is likely more aimed at keeping that 82°C away from the external surface then it is about cooling the camera.
  • Heat pads vs thermal paste.
  • no real heat flow from the thermal pads to the back of the Camera.
A skilled engineer (and Canon has loads) knew what they were trying to do an it appears they achieved it.

Safe operating temperatures.

Yes, those PhD weirdos often tend to stick to safe bets. They should look into an enthusiams and attitude of 80ties guys starting in garages, maybe then they would dedicate more thoughts of how to solve such issues. Wait - for them, it was not issue at all - they just programmed a stupid timer to protect the camera and that's just it.

Then some marketing idiot at Canon decided to market the camera as an 8K video camera monster, first of the breed. If they would stand with both feets on the ground, they would be more honest with their efforts, propagating R5 as a stills camera with some cool video features, they would not receive the shit storm they did. And they fully deserved it.

The guy doing the home trick measured cca 50C at the back of the camera, at home conditions, in a complete DYI effort. He could tweak it to not go higher than to 43C you mention as being a standard requirement imo. And he would still probably receive a better result than what Canon did imo.

Canon could also offer a special grip with an active cooling, which could dissipate the heat from the bottom of the camera. No grip would mean just recent / default behaviour. All that, if they would want to, but they didn't.

Upvote 0