Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

That’s funny because for the market it is intended, current 1 series owners, it is looking to be an awesome body with an RF mount.
But this isn't the R1, so who is the R3 targeting – 1 series owners who don't want to wait? The R3 gave us hope of a high MP A1-like specs and then the R1 was to be the low-mp flagship. No big deal that Canon is flipping the script, but it left some of us wanting a pro-level R5, and now we will have to wait for the R1.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
But this isn't the R1, so who is the R3 targeting – 1 series owners who don't want to wait? The R3 gave us hope of a high MP A1-like specs and then the R1 was to be the low-mp flagship. No big deal that Canon is flipping the script, but it left some of us wanting a pro-level R5, and now we will have to wait for the R1.
I couldn’t tell you, I just apply common sense, but when did Canon say the R3 was going to be high mp and the R1 low mp? They never did! Current 1 series users have 20mp and shoot the Olympics, those photographers are using the 24mp R3 to shoot the Olympics. Ergo the R3 is the new ‘1‘ series for the 1 series stated primary user pro sports shooters.

I think there is little doubt the R1 will be a true technological flagship, quad pixel, global shutter, and if the Z9 and A1 are anything to go by higher mp. Or the spiritual successor to the 1DS line.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
24MP R3 will certainly become the target for next Sony A9.
For the record, the 1DX is 18Mpixels. At least mine is
1DX is 2012 tech, 18MP was fine back then. IMO it's not in any way desirable anymore andI say this as someone that loved my 1DX and had one for 5 years. As a birder, as soon as I saw the 5DIV was 30MP I eschewed 1DXII even though I knew I was giving up AF prowess and a lot of speed. R3 will no doubt be superb camera but as someone that owns the 24MP A9, I was looking forward to more res. 30MP would have been a nice little bump. So now it come down to how good the R3 performs in the wilds.

There are some rumours about the A9III losing the mechanical shutter altogether but nothing about it being higher res. For me I will bide my time and jump to the A1. I still have a ton of Canon glass, and want back in. Go R3 ASAP or wait for R1.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Amazing how many people here are hung up on pixel count, as if that’s the most important camera spec. That’s just plain puerile. Such a camera needs ruggedness for the field and a resolution sufficient to export sharp jpegs for the web. Also excellent ergonomics to not miss the shot while fiddling with controls. The R3 has all of that.
Taken way out of context. Most of those hung up on pixel count are birders, cropping is a fact of life even if you own 600 f/4. Already some of the best birders in the world are thrilled with the jump from 24MP to 50MP on their A1. Try and shoot small songbirds or shore waders where even with 600 + 1.4x they aren't that big in the frame and getting closer is not really an option.

I also like to find someone that's shot a 5DsR say the 50MP were a waste of space. The IQ improvement from 5D3 to 5DsR is shocking. Having that extra res allow for so much more freedom when shooting. But fear not Canon has the R6 for those scared of pixels.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
DSLRs comprise 45% of the ILC market. Sony doesn’t sell any, Canon and Nikon do.
In terms of sales of DSLRs maybe, but in terms of catching up on technology - neither Canon nor Nikon has a DSLR in development at the moment, all R&D and all new releases are all mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
In terms of sales of DSLRs maybe, but in terms of catching up on technology - neither Canon nor Nikon has a DSLR in development at the moment, all R&D and all new releases are all mirrorless.
I guess I missed the Canon and Nikon announcements that they’d ceased development of DSLRs. Can you provide a link to those? Or maybe you’re privy to both companies’ internal, confidential information? Or maybe, just possibly, could it be that you are assuming your opinion is fact?

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I think there is little doubt the R1 will be a true technological flagship, quad pixel, global shutter, and if the Z9 and A1 are anything to go by higher mp. Or the spiritual successor to the 1DS line.
No doubts it is going to be a tech-ladden flagship. However, I just wonder will the QP AF further improve the AF performance (provided that the DP based AF in R3 is already great).

Upvote 0
I guess I missed the Canon and Nikon announcements that they’d ceased development of DSLRs. Can you provide a link to those? Or maybe you’re privy to both companies’ internal, confidential information? Or maybe, just possibly, could it be that you are assuming your opinion is fact?
They haven't stopped manufacturing for sure.
But development?.. I must confess it'd be hard to prove an absence of development, but have you seen any announcements or even rumours on the new DSLRs? I think 1DXIII was the last one from Canon.

PS. no, probably 850D was the last released DSLR, still it's Feb 2020.

Upvote 0
Same pixel density as the 1DX. The 1D3 just required less cropping...

Which raises the question as to why Canon now insists on full-frame for its top sports / wildlife bodies. Why not 24MP but APS-H? A compromise between absolute file size and pixel density.

They tried half heartedly. Once the 1DX arrived nobody was buying the 1D4 any more. So that was the end of APS-H.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2021
A question I have is in regards to all the talk of Canon making the R3 for professional sports photographers and that these folks do not want or need high mp bodies. How many professional and enthusiast sports photographers are there? This versus how many professional and enthusiast wildlife photographers are in the wild, many of whom want higher mp bodies? I don't have the data, but I would be surprised if wildlife photographers do not outnumber sports photographers. I believe, if I am not mistaken, that Canon stated the R3 was being developed to be a pro-level sports and wildlife camera. At 24mp I believe many wildlife shooters will be left wanting. As always this is just one persons thinking on this subject.
Hopefully Canon do have the data. Perhaps this is why the are releasing the lowly R3 for the sports crowd and are saving the mighty R1 flagship for us wildlife photographers :)
I do wonder if when they say the R3 is also for pro wildlife photographers, they mean ones who shoot big game on safari that can get close in vehicles or have time to wait in a hide for days/weeks for the wildlife to approach them. For both the sport and wildlife enthusiast market, i.e. without the long lenses, field of play access access who need more reach/cropping ability, higher MP would be an advantage. For now there is still the R5.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
That’s funny because for the market it is intended, current 1 series owners, it is looking to be an awesome body with an RF mount.
Canon’s marketing trolls are everywere...
Time will tell peeps, I think this is a sports photographer camera, nobody else is willing to pay Canons astronomic prices for an R6 with an inbuilt battery grip. So a small market for this medium-res camera.

It’s exacty like most people here say: once you’ve used the R5 you can never go back to a 24mpix camera, it’s not the 10 extra fps that makes the difference. So Canon: give us a mirrorless pro body like this R3, but with 45mpix. ASAP Please!

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Canon’s marketing trolls are everywere...
Time will tell peeps, I think this is a sports photographer camera, nobody else is willing to pay Canons astronomic prices for an R6 with an inbuilt battery grip.
Accusing people of trolling while also calling the R3 an R6 with built-in grip is quite bold :LOL:

I think you may want to brush up on the R6 specs. Among other things, it doesn't have a CF card slot at all, it doesn't have nearly the sealing of a 1-series, it does not have the fancy optical joystick, no eye-controlled AF, no vehicle AF, no BSI stacked sensor, and on and on...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

mmeerdam

5D4+5d3=10D7
Feb 14, 2016
To be honest, DPR found a source they can name to (re)confirm rumors. That's great for potential buyers to know what's coming. Makes it even more solid. I find the sarcasm of the post mocking DPR a bit sour and childish on CR's part. Just reporting DPR found another source that confirms CR knowledge would have accomplished the same 'we were first'. There is probably feelings and reasons why CR takes this jab a DPR which are maybe even right. But wording it like this is not the way imho.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
Accusing people of trolling while also calling the R3 an R6 with built-in grip is quite bold :LOL:

I think you may want to brush up on the R6 specs. Among other things, it doesn't have a CF card slot at all, it doesn't have nearly the sealing of a 1-series, it does not have the fancy optical joystick, no eye-controlled AF, no vehicle AF, no BSI stacked sensor, and on and on...
Great work Canon employee! Sure this R3 has some advantages compared to the R6... but if it is only 24mpix most people will wait for the R1... but anyway.. we’ll see...

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
* Parts of this comment have been moderated* - CR

Because it is a camera targeted for sports shooters. Canon's research no doubt indicates that the majority of those shooters prefers a lower MP count. It is also probably easier to deleiver high FPS (considered more important) than high MPs.

An R6 with an inbuilt battery grip?

Certainly you understand the difference in build quality between this R3 and the R6. The difference in FPS. The almost certain higher level AF system. Much better weather sealing. The R3 will have eye-focus. Just a few differences that you certainly must be aware of but continually choose to ignore.
Canon employees ... they’re everywhere

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What an insane marketing trick it will be if Canon limited all the try-out camera’s to mRAW and the final R3 can shoot 24mpix in mRAW (to please sportsphotographers that need to transfer files fast) but ALSO 45mpix in RAW for those who need it.

I am getting exited now....
Most likely, there is no mRAW in the R3, just as it is absent from all other cameras that use the new CR3 file format.
Great work Canon employee! Sure this R3 has some advantages compared to the R6... but if it is only 24mpix most people will wait for the R1... but anyway.. we’ll see...
Obviously people who are not interested in a low resolution grip type body or are already satisfied with the current 1-series body won't upgrade to the R3. That not what I am critiquing about your post.

Though I don't know if 'most' people will wait. I think the guys wanting a high resolution monster are just as eager waiting for the elusive R5s (80 MP? 100+ MP?), or the even more vague 7 series R camera. How large the market for a do it all R1 is, we'll indeed only see once the time of its release comes.

You boiled down two cameras to nothing but their resolution and based on that suggested only the body shape was different. Which demonstrates a poor understanding or ignorance of how market segmentation works. Which is fine, but doesn't do much to elevate your criticism above trolling.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
1DX is 2012 tech, 18MP was fine back then. IMO it's not in any way desirable anymore andI say this as someone that loved my 1DX and had one for 5 years. As a birder, as soon as I saw the 5DIV was 30MP I eschewed 1DXII even though I knew I was giving up AF prowess and a lot of speed. R3 will no doubt be superb camera but as someone that owns the 24MP A9, I was looking forward to more res. 30MP would have been a nice little bump. So now it come down to how good the R3 performs in the wilds.

There are some rumours about the A9III losing the mechanical shutter altogether but nothing about it being higher res. For me I will bide my time and jump to the A1. I still have a ton of Canon glass, and want back in. Go R3 ASAP or wait for R1.
There is general agreement among the keen birders who shoot over different systems like @arbitrage that the two best bodies are the A1 and R5, and there is not much between them. If you have a ton of Canon glass, then you can use it now on a mirrorless that is up with the very best. If the 5DIV is already good enough for you as a body type in preference, why hold back?

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
There is general agreement among the keen birders who shoot over different systems like @arbitrage that the two best bodies are the A1 and R5, and there is not much between them. If you have a ton of Canon glass, then you can use it now on a mirrorless that is up with the very best. If the 5DIV is already good enough for you as a body type in preference, why hold back?
It does beg the question who are Canon targeting this camera at? Clearly the R1 is nowhere near ready for release yet so Canon have gone with the R3 rather than get left behind by the competition. I very much doubt it’s targeted at rich consumers because across social media and regardless of brand, the talk always seems to be about high megapixels and top level video specs like 8K. People always mention the potential for heavy cropping as their main reason (I never get this obsession with cropping). I see this as the 1DX replacement for working pro’s who need to shoot and send files with a fast turnaround. Also if this camera had a higher megapixel count, it might be enough to stop people buying into the R1 when it’s eventually released. Canon are clearly making sure both of these cameras will have very specific purposes that differentiate them from one another.

Upvote 0