The specifications for the upcoming Nikon Z 9 leak out ahead of the official announcement

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
But again, these are professional cameras, aimed at professional photographers.
I know some pro photographers, and I, being an amateur (but a science journalist), published some of my wildlife images e.g. in a leading German newspaper (https://www.faz.net/aktuell/wissen/...und-anderen-fliegenden-fischern-16778607.html). So, of course, I am fully aware of that topic, but the pros I know don't spend any time for posting in photography gear threads. I guess here, like me, mostly skilled amateurs are posting. Btw digital photography improved my analogue photography with vintage cameras simply because I could play and check the results immediately. So it is going in opposite direction in my personal case ;)

Don't misunderstand me, I am not anti new gear, otherwise I wouldn't be on Canonrumors, I appreciate it is existing (Canon: were's a decend R7?). But you do not always need the latest gear to get better results. Really skilled photographers can even with toy cameras create interesting images, I remember the funny and very inspiring series about that on "digital rev tv" ...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I know some pro photographers, and I, being an amateur (but a science journalist), published some of my wildlife images e.g. in a leading German newspaper (https://www.faz.net/aktuell/wissen/...und-anderen-fliegenden-fischern-16778607.html). So, of course, I am fully aware of that topic, but the pros I know don't spend any time for posting in photography gear threads. I guess here, like me, mostly skilled amateurs are posting. Btw digital photography improved my analogue photography with vintage cameras simply because I could play and check the results immediately. So it is going in opposite direction in my personal case ;)

Don't misunderstand me, I am not anti new gear, otherwise I wouldn't be on Canonrumors, I appreciate it is existing (Canon: were's a decend R7?). But you do not always need the latest gear to get better results. Really skilled photographers can even with toy cameras create interesting images, I remember the funny and very inspiring series about that on "digital rev tv" ...
A nice article with some great photos. It would be much appreciated if you post some here. By the way, Terns are now missing from Inner Farne as our National Trust failed to maintain their habitat during the covid period and it became too overgrown for them.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
This idea that a pro camera needs to have a built in grip is absolute nonsense. Are Product, Press , Wedding, Fashion, Family, Portrait, Property, ………… Photographers not professionals too? They may not have any need or want for a larger camera at all.
I’d just point out that in some of those areas of photography that you mention togs are often using relatively heavy lenses and flash. Without being able to get a proper full grip on the body the camera is constantly trying to tip forwards in your hand and thus becomes a bit of a strain after a while. But I agree, a body doesn’t have to have an built in grip to be “professional”.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I’d just point out that in some of those areas of photography that you mention togs are often using relatively heavy lenses and flash. Without being able to get a proper full grip on the body the camera is constantly trying to tip forwards in your hand and thus becomes a bit of a strain after a while. But I agree, a body doesn’t have to have an built in grip to be “professional”.
That’s the reason I far prefer the integrated grip – after a day of shooting with a non-gripped body and one of my typical lenses (24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8) my hand is sore. With a gripped body, that doesn’t happen. But I also shoot frequently with a tripod, generally with wide or TS-E lenses where there’s no collar, and an add-on grip adds flex/vibration.

Upvote 0
Canon has already stated at naseum that the R3 is NOT it's flagship. Period. It's a new line.
Fine, someone else already answered pretty much the same. But, regardless of what Canon stated about what is and is not their flagship camera, what do you people think is their flagship camera, based upon what we do know about the R3? I'm asking in regard to all currently released Canon cameras as well as the R3 (but not the R1). I would think it'd be the R3.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Fine, someone else already answered pretty much the same. But, regardless of what Canon stated about what is and is not their flagship camera, what do you people think is their flagship camera, based upon what we do know about the R3? I'm asking in regard to all currently released Canon cameras as well as the R3 (but not the R1). I would think it'd be the R3.
The 1D X III.

Why do you assume the flagship must be a MILC? Keep in mind that DSLRs comprise 44% of the ILC market, and that the Canon native lens selection for FF DSLRs comprises double the number of native RF lenses.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
My vague recollection is that Jeff Cable said the R3 has additional undisclosed features too.
You are indeed correct.

Jeff's Post from July 1st states "There are all kinds of new features (that have yet to be disclosed to the public), but the camera is distinctly Canon, which makes it easy to pick up and start shooting with. It is like upgrading from a familiar car to a new model with all the buttons and dials where we expect them, but with more horse power and better handling."

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
But I also shoot frequently with a tripod, generally with wide or TS-E lenses where there’s no collar, and an add-on grip adds flex/vibration.
There is no doubt that the degree of flex in the battery grip/ body combo is substantial and when mounted on a heavy tripod is quite disconcerting. This wasn’t the case with the film 1 series bodies where to fit the battery grip the whole of the front grip came off and the grip incorporated in the ‘battery grip’ fitted up inside the camera via a cone shaped male female arrangement. Bottom was fixed via tripod socket in the traditional way. This gave a totally flex-free mounting and was far superior to what we have now.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I don't have an opinion on whether the Nikon screen articulates and don't actually care either.

Just saying, there's plausibly black tape along all four edges of that screen, in a manner seemingly calculated to hide its articulability...

It is supposedly a new mechanism, perhaps one that has the pros of the flip out screen that can also go into portrait mode. Hopefully not fully articulating.

Upvote 0
Mainly because you asked what the flagship could be, and then suggested the R3 is Canon’s flagship, despite Canon having stated that their flagship is the 1D X III.

The R3 is not a 1-series. Done.
Strange how you came to that conclusion. I never said anything about the Canon flagship needing to be a "MILC". Having a mirror or not, there are other features in the R3 that the 1DXiii that I feel would deserve it to be more of a flagship. I'm asking people which one they, themselves, "feel" it to be, if they were to ignore what Canon says it is. But you keeping bringing up what Canon says is their flagship, which I agree with you in that is what Canon says, but that's not what I am asking individual people.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Strange how you came to that conclusion. I never said anything about the Canon flagship needing to be a "MILC". Having a mirror or not, there are other features in the R3 that the 1DXiii that I feel would deserve it to be more of a flagship. I'm asking people which one they, themselves, "feel" it to be, if they were to ignore what Canon says it is. But you keeping bringing up what Canon says is their flagship, which I agree with you in that is what Canon says, but that's not what I am asking individual people.
And individual people can only answer based upon what they know. Along with some detailed specs (but not all), what we 'know' is that the intended place for the R3 in the line-up will be behind the 1DXiii, because Canon says so. Once they release the full spces, we'll all be in a better position to see what it's niche is meant to be. But given how closely Canon work with their 1DX users (and by that I mean: very closely indeed), if they are saying the 1DXiii remains the top of the tree, then I'm thinking that is what it will be (until the R1 comes along).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Apologies, you said nothing about it needing to be a MILC, that was an incorrect assumption on my part.

‘Flagship product’ is the highest profile or most expensive, and that describes the 1D X III, not the R3. People can ‘feel’ whatever they want. The manufacturer gets to designate their flagship, and Canon has done so.

If someone wants to believe the R5 is the flagship because more MP make it deserving, or the M6 II is the flagship because a higher pixel density makes it deserving, that’s fine. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, even if it’s wrong.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
8k 60 All I is the bar. At $7000 to pay for the Sony sensor inside as usual they had to tame the high end video resolution. And of course it won't have 8k 60 but a limited 8k 30. Coming to the dance a year later doesn't get any kudos for innovation. Any competent engineer can copy and improve. The Sony A1 is the camera released with EVF blackouts for 4 months. We'll see what problems the Nikon comes with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'd agree. Canon of course will be saying the R3 is not their flagship camera but generally speaking flagship is taken as a companies finest product. I can't see camera customers continuing to believe the 1DXIII is Canon's flagship camera. It won't have Canon's best sensor, FPS rate, Dynamic Range, Focusing system, weight (in a 1 Series). It will be "old" mirrored technology whose only advantage will be battery life and mechanical shutter FPS. I'm sure Canon will keep that charade up until they release an R1 to keep the 1DXIII selling. I own a 1DX III and its a fine camera but its time in the sun as being the best is over, its perhaps the last great mirrored camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

8k 60 All I is the bar. At $7000 to pay for the Sony sensor inside as usual they had to tame the high end video resolution. And of course it won't have 8k 60 but a limited 8k 30. Coming to the dance a year later doesn't get any kudos for innovation. Any competent engineer can copy and improve. The Sony A1 is the camera released with EVF blackouts for 4 months. We'll see what problems the Nikon comes with.

The Nikon Z9 has a 45MP stacked sensor, the A1 has a 50MP stacked sensor. It is not confirmed who is manufacturing the sensor yet and it could be Sony (Sony's camera devision are also a customer of the sensor division and Sony is likely a customer of Nikon for lithography equipment), Tower, or even fricken Canon. Not fabricating every component does not make it any less of a Nikon. They'll be non-Canon tech in the R3 and R5 too and that doesn't make them less Canon.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Where can the Sony A1 do 8K 60p? That's crazy amount of data to move around.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
Now Nikon is coming out with a 400 2.8 + 1.4x.
We’re getting out-innovated, folks. Canon just wants to sit at the top of the mountain and do nothing and hope the R5/R6’s keep selling forever.

Upvote 0