The specifications for the upcoming Nikon Z 9 leak out ahead of the official announcement

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Unlike Canon, Nikons knows at least that two CFExpress memory cards is better than having two different types of cards. Why Canon keeps forcing us two buy different types of media is beyond understanding. Angers me.
Personally I'm happy with a CFE and SD in my R5, as I shoot RAW stills to the CFE and JPEG backups to the SD. But if I wanted to shoot duplicate backup RAWs to the other slot, I'd rather have twin CFEs, in order to maintain maximum burst speeds.

It's a difficult one for Canon - CFE cards are extremely expensive, so if they'd put twin CFE's in, the cost of cards would probably have put many people off purchasing the R5. On the other hand, if they'd put twin SD slots, it would possibly prevent shooting in 8K for more than a few seconds, and would have made the overheating issues even worse (as most of the heat is generated by the cards, from what I've read).

Again, personally, I would rather that they'd left out 8K which I don't want or need, and just made the R5 a stills-orientated camera with 2 SD slots. But that's just me, Canon clearly wanted to have a camera with the highest specifications they could manage, to answer criticism that they've lagged behind Sony and Nikon for a while.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I’m sure the R1 will get two same type high end card slots So save your money and anxiety for that release.
I would just like to remind everyone who thinks Canon plans to release the R1 for the Winter Games that Beijing 2022 is this coming winter.
People keep talking like it is so far away.
We also do not expect the Z9 to be released very much before that.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I would just like to remind everyone who thinks Canon plans to release the R1 for the Winter Games that Beijing 2022 is this coming winter.
People keep talking like it is so far away.
We also do not expect the Z9 to be released very much before that.
I said earlier the three 1DS models were released basically a year after the same generation 1D model so I’d think that was a company structure ‘thing’. If so it makes sense that the same structure would result in a one year (approx) gap between the R3 and the R1. Which has pre release R1 models at those 2022 Winter Olympics.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The exact pixel resolution makes it seem like Nikon Rumors has seen the EXIF data but that does not mean they have actually seen the camera.
I do not believe for a second that the Z9 screen can articulate like the S1H.
View attachment 199517
vs
View attachment 199518
But the photos of the Z9 from the back have all been taped around the screen hiding what type of movement, if any, the screen has.

Personally I think it is a hinge style rather than the rotate and swivel style.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
But the photos of the Z9 from the back have all been taped around the screen hiding what type of movement, if any, the screen has.

Personally I think it is a hinge style rather than the rotate and swivel style.
There is not enough room under that tape for such a hinge.
I am sure it won't be fixed like the 1DX or there would be no need for the tape at all.
It is not like these cameras are easy to break.

*Unrelated: If Nikon did not want the Z9 to be spotted they would have taped over the Nikon logo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
There is not enough room under that tape for such a hinge.
I am sure it won't be fixed like the 1DX or there would be no need for the tape at all.
It is not like these cameras are easy to break.
Sure there is, I’m thinking like the GFX 100. A more refined version than this and it has a bigger gap at the bottom like the tape does on the Nikon.

F35FC96D-7245-47DA-A497-99C09759FD6B.jpeg

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Funny how everyone whining about the R3 being "behind" Sony and Nikon offerings seems to forget that the R3 is offering eye-control autofocus, which may be the most revolutionary spec of all.

I'll wait to see how practical it is. Imagine focusing on a player and then watching the edge of frame for the ball coming to him.. what will eye-control AF do?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
"The R1 will beat it."

Lol there will be no R1, not for years. The R3 was meant to be that camera until they saw everyone else putting 45mp sensors on 30fps cameras.
Sure, sure. Corporations have absolutely no idea what their competitors are up to, ever. Canon was totally surprised, and knew nothing about the Z9 before details leaked on NikonRumors. LOL.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'll wait to see how practical it is. Imagine focusing on a player and then watching the edge of frame for the ball coming to him.. what will eye-control AF do?
Like most technology, I expect it will deliver less than advertised, but if it gets you a head start on refocusing (say going from first base to center field) it will be a big help. Only time will tell. My main point though is that people obsess over small differences on some specs and then completely gloss over others because they don't fit into their story lines.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Looks like Nikon is firing all guns! Hope they can get production rolling soon. Canon needs to release the R1 soon. Right now, the 50 MP Sony A1 is top dog.
Top dog? You mean for being overpriced?

Those you are considering MPs to be the one and only spec that matters - go ahead and get your A1. Those that think the R3 needs to priced below the A1 since it has less MPs should consider all the reasons that the R3 will be considered a pro level camera and the A1 will not (probably the basis for the "toy" comment). The R3 will have the integrated grip, will be much more durably built, will no doubt have better weather sealing. Making cameras that are made to withstand pretty much any type of impact and any type of weather increases the cost - and makes it worth spending that money if one needs or wants a pro level camera. Comparing cameras by their MP count only is for spec lovers - not photographers, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thank you. That's less impressive. I do wonder how long an R1 will be 2022 late? 2023? Given the A1 and Z9 are are 2021 products.
So look at it from a corporate view point. Nobody but Canon have a body in the R3 space, vs, how large is the R1/A1/Z9 market? Because once Canon are in it it will be divided by three.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Thank you. That's less impressive. I do wonder how long an R1 will be 2022 late? 2023? Given the A1 and Z9 are are 2021 products.
Well, the Z9 isn't even officially announced yet, let alone released - it will be a '2022 product' in any meaningful sense. I agree with comments earlier that the R1 will likely (important word there) get its field testing at the Winter Olympics next year, similar to the R3 in Tokyo this year - with release announcement after that (ie late 2022).

Upvote 0