Is the Canon EOS R7 the next camera to be announced? [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
The operative term here is "for a given view size."
Of course. I’m not going to compare an image viewed on my iPhone with an image viewed on my 34” 5K display. If you want to do something nonsensical like that, go right ahead.

If you need to do something like that (albeit in a less extreme manner) to support your argument, then your argument was bogus to begin with.

Upvote 0
I want to jump in here but don't know exactly where to start...let's try these two:

=====

maboleth, you write:

"One of the ups is that what you see on EVF is 99% what you will get. But in a sense, EVF is sort of virtual-reality-viewfinder..."

I need some help understanding your comment here! (no snark intended); is it just habit that draws you to OVFs?

=====

In this thread and one or two other rather recent threads here, there's been lots of talk about size and ergonomics and sensors etc.

Posters talk about the 90D and its crop sensor...there's even a table or three listing this property or those data (again, no snark here--I like tables full'o data!)...somewhere I saw one or two posts where someone talks about the 90D and mirrorless as well and wonders about the R7 etc...with ZERO mention of Canon's M format!

If anybody cares, I've posted here on CR about the M format...and lately, in particular, about the M6MkII/(adapted)EF 70-300 IS II combination.

I've done the vast majority of my wildlife shooting with a 5DMkIII body and various telephoto zooms (including the Canon 100-400 IS II)...and indeed its old-school viewfinder is great and comfortable at the same time.

But the M6MkII/(adapted)EF 70-300 IS II combination, with either of the EVFs attached...is pretty darn good.

Pretty darn good.

And of course the sensors inside both the M6MkII and the 90D? The same.

...smh
I think part of it is that the M bodies tend to be more lightweight and less ruggedly built than the corresponding DSLRs. Shorter battery life comes along with that tradeoff as well, and handling with larger lenses is affected too, plus the need for an adapter for those large lenses, introducing another thing to break (or leak if it gets wet). If I was in a position where I needed to count on my camera in less than ideal conditions, I would probably steer clear of the M series in general.

In reality I'm a (mostly) fair weather amateur and am not interested in bird or wildlife photography. My only body is an M50 and I've been happy with the tradeoffs of the M system so far. But I get why many photographers wouldn't be.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Well, I haven’t changed my statements, and the concept of equivalence hasn’t changed. So if you think we’re the same page now……

Ladies and gentlemen, we now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming.

No. It has nothing to do with pixel density. However, you have changed the terms. I was talking about comparing a FF picture to an APS-C picture. You are talking about cropping a FF image to the area of an APS-C image. In that case, the images, FoV, DoF and noise are identical.

There’s nothing fuzzy about it, it’s basic physics. A larger sensor gathers more light. The oft-used analogy is water – put a teacup and a bucket out in the same rainfall (the light coming from the scene), leave them out for the same amount of time (shutter speed), and the bucket will collect more water than the teacup. As I said to someone else, if you argue with physics, physics will win. Every. Single. Time.
1) I have no interest or desire to go down that equivalence rabbit hole. Everyone has explained their viewpoint a thousand times over and I don't care to take the bait. I take a narrower view of equivalence than others do. I prefer to use it exclusively to describe exposure equivalence. I think it can confuse people to expand it to cover depth of field at different sensor sizes. You disagree. I understand your point of view. Enough said.

2) Although you were talking about comparing a FF picture to an APS-C picture of the same size, that was not stated. Yes, of course, if you add the variable of enlarging an image to the same size and compare one taken with the full frame vs. one taken with a cropped frame (either by using a smaller sensor or by cropping the image in post) the image with the greater enlargement will show more noise.* No disagreement there.

3) Using your bucket example. If instead of a single bucket, you have a teacup inside a bucket and a teacup sitting alone, you will end up with the same amount of water in both the APS-C teacup and the "cropped" teacup within the full-frame bucket (assuming of course that there is no overflow from the gallon bucket).

*asterisk added because sensor performance has improved so much in the last few years that we are moving more and more into differences that are theoretical rather than visible.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
As entertaining as it is (not) to repeat the same pedantic discussions for the millionth time on this forum, I wonder if those who are actually interested in an R7 might be willing to express their opinion. (@Michael Clark?)

If an R7 is essentially an R6 with a crop sensor and comes in at close to the price point of the R6 (give or take $100 or so) would such a body meet the needs/desires of those who want an R7? I am unfamiliar with the R6, but it seems like the main differences between the R5 and the R6 (aside from the sensors) are the dual SD slots and the mode dial. While a CFExpress slot might be preferred by some, I suspect Canon might opt for dual SD slots instead.

It strikes me that Canon will need to balance features and price point to reach a target that is affordable enough, yet feature rich enough, to attract sufficient buyers to make it profitable. I suspect that a mirrorless 90D (R90?) would not be attractive to those who want a crop sensor R. So I wonder if a crop sensor R6 with a sensor resolution in the 90D range, would tick enough boxes.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
1) I have no interest or desire to go down that equivalence rabbit hole. Everyone has explained their viewpoint a thousand times over and I don't care to take the bait. I take a narrower view of equivalence than others do. I prefer to use it exclusively to describe exposure equivalence. I think it can confuse people to expand it to cover depth of field at different sensor sizes. You disagree. I understand your point of view. Enough said.
That’s like saying you have a narrower definition of a house, you only care about the front door. Your understanding of that door may be interesting, but if you only describe the door you aren’t talking about a house.

Equivalence is a formal concept in photography. It’s not a point of view. It’s not a rabbit hole. You trying to limit the concept to apply only to equivalent field of view is fine, but then you’re not talking about equivalence anymore.

I agree that the concept of equivalence is confusing to some people. So are concepts in subject areas like general relativity, genetics and macroeconomics. My approach is to try and explain the concepts factually and correctly when it’s clear people are wrong about them. Your approach would apparently be to limit the discussions to space but not time, pretend all heritable traits are monogenic and Mendelian, and discuss only inflation but not GDP or unemployment as driving factors.

In my experience, people who ‘take a narrower viewpoint’ of a complicated concept usually do so because they don’t really understand the full concept. Rather than try to expand their understanding to encompass the full concept, they prefer to try to limit discussions of the concept to the part of it they do understand.

A reductionist approach in teaching a concept is different. When I took macroeconomics (which was a long time ago, think ‘Reaganomics’), we learned about GDP, then later about unemployment, then about inflation. Then we discussed how they interact to drive economies. The professor didn’t just walk out and explain inflation, then drop the mic and pass out the final.

2) Although you were talking about comparing a FF picture to an APS-C picture of the same size, that was not stated. Yes, of course, if you add the variable of enlarging an image to the same size and compare one taken with the full frame vs. one taken with a cropped frame (either by using a smaller sensor or by cropping the image in post) the image with the greater enlargement will show more noise.* No disagreement there.
I stated, “…change the sensor from FF to APS-C but not the lens, zoom setting, or distance to subject.” Why would you somehow assume I also meant, “…and crop the image,” if I didn’t state that. The only reason I can see is to ‘prove your point’. Well, your point was analogous to proving that water is wet, so…ummmm…well done? :rolleyes:

3) Using your bucket example. If instead of a single bucket, you have a teacup inside a bucket and a teacup sitting alone, you will end up with the same amount of water in both the APS-C teacup and the "cropped" teacup within the full-frame bucket (assuming of course that there is no overflow from the gallon bucket).
Of course, but that was never part of the debate until you set up that pin for you to knock down. And guess what? The water filling the cropped teacup inside that bucket will be wet.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As entertaining as it is (not) to repeat the same pedantic discussions for the millionth time on this forum
To recap, someone made a statement that was factually incorrect. I replied to that statement with the correct facts.

Then you replied to my post, but made an unwarranted assumption and rephrased my argument to then make your own correct statement that was never in doubt, and doubled down with your own personal definition of equivalence.

Then you complain about rabbit holes and pedantry.

Shall I fetch you a mirror, sir? :)

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
The worst case would be if Canon only offered expensive mirrorless cameras from $2,000 up with an EVF and some cheaper mirrorless cameras which might not have an EVF and maybe not even IBIS.

As some third lens manufacturers build lenses for Canon mounts, I wonder if the other way around would be legally possible. Could a third party camera manufacturer from China for example built a mirrorless camera with an RF mount? If the male side of the mount can be copied, why not the female side? That would finally put some pressure on Canon.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The worst case would be if Canon only offered expensive mirrorless cameras from $2,000 up with an EVF and some cheaper mirrorless cameras which might not have an EVF and maybe not even IBIS.

As some third lens manufacturers build lenses for Canon mounts, I wonder if the other way around would be legally possible. Could a third party camera manufacturer from China for example built a mirrorless camera with an RF mount? If the male side of the mount can be copied, why not the female side? That would finally put some pressure on Canon.
You like Red did with their Komodo? https://www.red.com/komodo

Upvote 0
it's pretty obvious that there will be a high MP count full-frame sensor (and body) and a new aps-c sensor (and body) based on that - meaning if we see a high MP full full-frameframe sensor in the 70ish megapixel range that would translate to a 43ish megapixel aps-c sensor. It's how they manufacture chips, depending on the yield of the material you can also use faulty full-frame sensors and use them as aps-c sensors if they have quality issues in the areas not present in aps-c format.
There is also a high chance that the aps-c camera (r7) will have 8k recording capabilities due to its sensor size - of course with all the usual canon cripple to protect the cinema line, but that will still be an amazing camera not only for birding but also for macro work - I'm intrigued!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

My crude knowledge of patent law is that you can patent a device but you can't patent to prevent others making accessories to fit on that device. That is for here, you can patent a specific mount for your camera and stop others using that mount, but you can't stop others making lenses to fit on it. I think the patent on the EF mount expired more than 10 years ago, but the RF is in early days of its patent life.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I agree that the 45MP of the R5 is a nice sweet spot for a FF camera (and it's a very good sensor). The point I was trying to make is that in order for the "R7" to have appeal to wildlife photographers, it needs to offer *more* resolution than a cropped R5 can produce. Otherwise, what would be the benefit of getting the "R7"?
Cost and size/weight.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
EVF of R6 is great, but I guess as someone that grew up on mechanical Nikon FM2/3a cameras, I cannot treat EVF as "normal" viewfinder. What I see in EVF is not the scene I see with my eyes (OVF). That can have ups and downs, of course. One of the ups is that what you see on EVF is 99% what you will get. But in a sense, EVF is sort of virtual-reality-viewfinder and I totally understand people that just dislike it no matter what.
Except EVF gives you the real lens aperture wide open and OVF does not. Seeing what you see with your eyes through the camera is less important for photo composition than seeing what the camera does, because the camera is what makes the photo.

Upvote 0

Deleted

7D2
Sep 30, 2021
Except EVF gives you the real lens aperture wide open and OVF does not. Seeing what you see with your eyes through the camera is less important for photo composition than seeing what the camera does, because the camera is what makes the photo.
That depends on the situation. Once the correct exposure is known it becomes important to be able to track a subject for long periods, to be able to catch the moment. If the viewfinder is dark then it becomes harder. It also becomes challenging on the battery and the eyes. When following a subject for a long time, OVF has advantages.

Here is a prime example. I had to wait a long time, days in fact, to get a term tossing a fish in the right place and in decent light. I used an OVF for this. I have tried using an EVF albeit an earlier generator of camera and the experience was far from ideal. The R5 is leaps ahead, but for this type of photography is more challenging than OVF.

D8DC8355-2A71-4930-AEE0-7E94D9437207.jpegSame for this shot. I wanted the shake dry moment and an OVF was the better tool for the job.

8E4CD77B-3AEE-49EB-872E-8B09E800AA57.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Cost and size/weight.
Very true, but for me personally, I would want a minimum of 24MP. Given that Canon already have a tried and tested good quality 33MP APS-C sensor, together with the fact that they've had plenty of time since then to develop even better sensors, I think we are probably looking at a minimum of 28MP for the "R7", whether it is a high performance sports/wildlife model, or just a Rebel replacement.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
That depends on the situation. Once the correct exposure is known it becomes important to be able to track a subject for long periods, to be able to catch the moment. If the viewfinder is dark then it becomes harder. It also becomes challenging on the battery and the eyes. When following a subject for a long time, OVF has advantages.

Here is a prime example. I had to wait a long time, days in fact, to get a term tossing a fish in the right place and in decent light. I used an OVF for this. I have tried using an EVF albeit an earlier generator of camera and the experience was far from ideal. The R5 is leaps ahead, but for this type of photography is more challenging than OVF.

View attachment 202340Same for this shot. I wanted the shake dry moment and an OVF was the better tool for the job.

View attachment 202341
Great shots, and I agree entirely. For 95% of photography the EVF on my R5 is absolutely fine, but if you need the camera to be instantly ready for action, or if you are going to wait for minutes at a time with finger poised over the shutter button waiting for the perfect moment, an OVF beats an EVF every time. I've got an R5 and I'm pretty happy with it, but if Canon had put that sensor into a DSLR with IBIS and a fast burst speed, I'd have chosen the DSLR instead.

I find very little difference in my keeper rate for BIF between the R5 and my 5DMkiv, in terms of AF, although the faster burst speeds and lighter weight of the R5 tend to compensate for the issues described above.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
As entertaining as it is (not) to repeat the same pedantic discussions for the millionth time on this forum, I wonder if those who are actually interested in an R7 might be willing to express their opinion. (@Michael Clark?)

If an R7 is essentially an R6 with a crop sensor and comes in at close to the price point of the R6 (give or take $100 or so) would such a body meet the needs/desires of those who want an R7? I am unfamiliar with the R6, but it seems like the main differences between the R5 and the R6 (aside from the sensors) are the dual SD slots and the mode dial. While a CFExpress slot might be preferred by some, I suspect Canon might opt for dual SD slots instead.

It strikes me that Canon will need to balance features and price point to reach a target that is affordable enough, yet feature rich enough, to attract sufficient buyers to make it profitable. I suspect that a mirrorless 90D (R90?) would not be attractive to those who want a crop sensor R. So I wonder if a crop sensor R6 with a sensor resolution in the 90D range, would tick enough boxes.
I'm interested in an R7 to replace my 7D and I've handled an R6 enough to know that I could live with its ergonomics and speed. Regarding price point, I would expect an R7 to be $500 less than the R6 and the R6 seems $500 overpriced. Regarding the sensor, 24MP would be enough but I want exceptional high ISO performance for an APS-C camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Does your EVF show 14-bit images? Mine doesn’t, despite Canon’s effort with ‘OVF simulation mode’ in my R3 (which, by the way, isn’t compatible with DoF Preview mode).

So really, neither type shows ‘what the camera sees’ since an OVF csn show more exposure latitude than the camera can capture, and an EVF shows less exposure latitude than could be present in a 14-bit RAW file. You really only see what the camera sees if you shoot in-camera JPGs.

Also, with lenses like the RF 14-35/4L, 16/2.8 and 24-240, the EVF will show an image with forced distortion correction. When I shoot at 14mm on the 14-35/4 and process the RAW file with DxO PhotoLab, the resulting image has an FoV of about 13.5mm, meaning my EVF is cropping out the edges of my final picture and making fully accurate composition impossible.

The bottom line is claiming an EVF is better because it shows you what the camera sees is false.

Personally, I didn’t like the image quality displayed in the EVF on my EOS R, especially coming from the excellent OVF of the 1D X. The image quality displayed in the EVF on the R3 is definitely better, but I still prefer that of a good OVF.

However, I like the convenience of the EVF. Being able to see a lot of relevant information overlayed, or none at the touch of a button. Being able to literally see in the dark to compose a shot that will be taken with high ISO.

So overall, I prefer the EVF of my R3 to the OVF of my 1D X.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

View attachment 202340Same for this shot. I wanted the shake dry moment and an OVF was the better tool for the job.

View attachment 202341
Superb photos! How did you set up the R5 when you found the EVF difficult to cope with changing light? I always use full manual control for BIF or DIF so the exposure doesn't change with the background illumination as I pan. By the way, I agree with you about the daftness of Nikon using a left hand action for fitting lenses on to bodies - for just about everything else in life, from turning on radiators, turning screws, screwing on bottle caps, manual cranking a veteran car, winding up a clock, to the apex of technology, putting a lens on every other camera body, its a Right Handed twist.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

For context, I'm a prospective buyer of an R7, as a second body to my R5 (third body if you include my 5DMkiv). I photograph wildlife including BIF, insects, landscapes and nature in general. I only rarely shoot sports. I don't shoot video.

What I'd personally like to have is:
28MP
5, 10, 20 fps all with electronic shutter
5.7K EVF with instant startup and no blackout
2 CFE-B slots
Ability to share battery grip with R5/R6
Same AF tech as R5, but more intelligent AI that dispenses with need for focus cases
Body shell based on R5 or R6
Panasonic-style tilt/flippy screen
Ability to assign a button to instant exposure-bracketing

Price? - If they got it absolutely right, I'd go to £3000.

Upvote 0