Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
What I really hate about the EOS R is its EVF definition (3,7 million dots).
But only 2,36 for a new camera??? o_O
Sorry Canon, but for me, the VF is a major feature in a camera, and a reason to buy or not to buy.
Maybe Canon felt that a high res EVF would be overkill for a sports/action camera. That user won't be staring through it on a tripod trying to ensure the perfect composition. It's more like, frame-subject-shoot. Then take your eye away from the camera to see what else is happening around you.

I'm more interested in the EVF delay and responsiveness.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well, I'm comparing the viewfinder on my wife's old 90D to the viewfinder on my R5 and the R5 viewfinder seems larger to me. So I was thinking that the 2.36M dots might be spread out over less total area on a crop sensor camera than on a full frame camera.
Yes, that’s possible. The size of the EVF display matters. It’s 0.5” in the R5/R3, no idea about the new bodies. Magnification of the EVF display also occurs, and the quality of the VF glass between the EVF display and your eye also matters.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Why do people still talk about the M6? It was an extremely unpopular and pointless camera. It didn't even have a viewfinder...

Completely irrelevant.
Hardly, I still have mine. When paired with the EF-M 55-200mm it's hard to beat in terms of reach and portability...Small enough to even bring into some stadiums.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
The photo of the R7 can't be real. It looks like a rebel, not a professional wildlife camera and successor to the 7DII. If it is real, then what we are getting is yet another drastic change in controls that means it really can't be paired, workflow-wise, side-by-side with a R6 or R5. Much like Canon's experiment with the touch bar on the R, this will prove very unpopular. The 4-way controller and the whole back of the camera just scream Rebel T2i.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I wonder if the R10 will be the basis for an M10 or the M-system is truly dying.
I really wish Canon would keep the M system and add a few more compact primes. The original M (and similarly styled bodies) + 22mm f/2 is P&S size territory. I don't think an RF based body can match on dimensions/size/weight.

Whether or not the M survives at all likely depends on the market's response. Will M buyers flock to the new APS-C RF bodies? Or will the M still have a profitable niche?

Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
I think what’s frustrating is that the ergonomics have changed again so users will have to learn a whole new body system. With the 7D series the ergonomics were similar to the 5D series, which was similar to the R5 and R6. You could switch back and forth without thinking. I fear this new design adds another hurdle in a professional workflow. Of course none of us have handled it so the fear and uncertainty may all be for nothing.

If anyone is debating whether the camera can be used in a professional environment, I certainly think it can be; I used an M50 professionally alongside my other gear for a few years. Especially with 32 MP, high flash shutter sync speed, high frame rate, and presumably great autofocus.
Exactly my thoughts. I remember buying a 5DIII to shoot alongside my 7D. The two cameras felt nearly identical, and that was a great thing. Now, not only is the back dial in a different place but they have removed the shoulder dial

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I really wish Canon would keep the M system and add a few more compact primes. The original M (and similarly styled bodies) + 22mm f/2 is P&S size territory. I don't think an RF based body can match on dimensions/size/weight.
It would be nice, but I'm not counting on it. Even though I prefer larger cameras for serious shooting, it is always handy to have something P&S-sized for travel and casual use.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Even though I prefer larger cameras for serious shooting, it is always handy to have something P&S-sized for travel and casual use.
Agreed. Birds in flight, R3 + EF 600/4 II. My 8th grader’s indoor graduation ceremony, R3 + RF 70-200/2.8. A classmate’s outdoor farm birthday party that my 3rd grader attended, M6 + M18-150.

Upvote 0
Canon has just bumped the sales of Sony and Nikon, these cameras are a pile of crap, I've used canon since 1980, I'm buying a Nikon Z9, and dumping my R5, these cameras are a scam, using a three year old sensor, and the screen and view finder are out of a child's toy. Is it April the first or something, these are a pile of scrap. Well done canon, you're driving your customers to Nikon and Sony.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
Canon has just bumped the sales of Sony and Nikon, these cameras are a pile of crap, I've used canon since 1980, I'm buying a Nikon Z9, and dumping my R5, these cameras are a scam, using a three year old sensor, and the screen and view finder are out of a child's toy. Is it April the first or something, these are a pile of scrap. Well done canon, you're driving your customers to Nikon and Sony.
I have been seriously thinking of doing the same myself, mostly to get the Nikon 800 6.3. These cameras push me further in that direction.

Upvote 0