Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

D

Deleted member 378875

Well, its got most of what I was hoping for ... high resolution viewfinder, eye AF and promising/oustanding ergonomics.

I really, really hope the EVF is superfast, and the diopter adjustment is actually usable, (unlike the M5 in both cases).

But, assuming they have attended to these then ...

Whilst this is not the camera to fit to my 85mm 1.4 Art nor my 70-200 f/2.8, I think my wife would love to use it for low-weight family and travel photography when coupled with the new R 24-105 f/4.

Overall, a very good start Canon.

8.5 out of 10 on features.

And, 10 if you can bring out the same but in a 5D body size with IBIS in 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
Upvote 0
Well, its got most of what I was hoping for ... high resolution viewfinder (really hope its very fast) eye AF and promising/oustanding ergonomics.

Whilst this is not the camera to fit to my 85mm 1.4 Art nor my 70-200 f/2.8, I think my wife would love to use it for low-weight family and travel photography when coupled with the new R 24-105 f/4.

Overall, a very good start Canon.

8.5 out of 10 from me if the price is genuinely competitive.

And, 10 if you can bring out the same but in a 5D body size with IBIS in 2019.

Word

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
They're not out yet. They've been announced, but not yet available to order. Why not wait to see what the production camera ships with?

If it's ready for delivery by October, then the first batches are already out of the Japan factory with an older firmware. Read the press release above, it clearly states the upcoming firmware update would add a currently unavailable feature.

. An upcoming free firmware update will enable silent shutter in continuous shooting mode as well.

It's implied that the newest firmware won't make it before the shipping of the first batch/es of the body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Upvote 0

VOTOXY

VOTOXY Studios
Aug 16, 2018
Paris, France
www.votoxy.com
Well im in the same boat, ibis and 1080p at 120 and 2 slots. And I think my long wait is over, a7 III just ticks all those boxes for me at a price lower than the "lower end' EOSR. Will take a hit on my canon EF lenses, but it is bound to happen with switchingto native RF. Nonetheless a very sexy mirrorless from canon, it will make many photographers very happy.

About to jumpship too... Kinda fed up that Canon didn't take the lead of the market with this one.. I really hoped they did.. They had the best opportunity to do it and catch up.
Still hesitating to be honest.. but yeah, a7SIII is around the corner, and it will be groundbreaking (again) I'm sure. Might go for the combo a7RIII and a7SIII..

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
is it just me or does the BG-E22 look like it came off a different camera?

Yeah, the last time I saw that distended grip look on a body is when they reused the BG-E2 grip intended for the 20D/30D and made it compatible for the differently shaped 40D. The grip looks too wide for the body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
So here we go.
Prices (US) seem to be quite reasonable, but of course cheaper would have been always better ;).

Total bummer - again - is that the kit (body+24-105) has the same MRSP than the individual prices summed up. (forget about that single $).
The only "advantage" you get is one box instead of two. *lol

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Total bummer - again - is that the kit (body+24-105) has the same MRSP than the individual prices summed up. (forget about that single $).
The only "advantage" you get is one box instead of two. *lol

Actually the kits are sold in separate boxes, at least the ones I've seen before.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0