Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

disappointed..
just a little better than 6d mark 2.. lenses are nice ,but the body..

crippled eye af (maybe will be fixed with software)
only 1080p at 60fps
4k cropped (useless for me)
5fps with AF
single sd card slot
no in body stabilization
and more..

for $2300 is not worth it ,maybe $1600/$1700

sony is looking better and better ,and no ,i'm not a fanboy ,just looking to buy/invest in a new sistem..
waiting for photokina maybe will be anything else announced

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
No lens stabilisation can compensate for camera roll. Canon's digital video stabilisation only works with lenses with IS IIRC. So no 18-35/1.8 Art with stabilisation. Would have been nice, what with the 4K crop.

Other than that, I'm pleased to see the EF-R adapter not having a rectangular hole. There goes the mirror box bokeh ball clipping for lenses faster than f/1.8! Finally!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I was seriously hoping the camera/lens/adapter package would be around 3k. Looks like it's at least 3500 instead.

The a7III is looking pretty good at this point. More realistically I'll be looking at upgrading my prosumer camera setup in the spring. The a7IV should be out by then with even more refinements. I guess I'll have some serious thinking to do. At least it looks like I could use a few of my ef-s lenses on this camera, with much less resolution. The FPS leaves much to be desired if the subject is moving, and looks worse than the 80D I'm currently using.

Actually, Sony does not upgrade the same camera line every year. It’s a common misconception, but it is an understandable one. If you look at Sony’s A7 series timeline, It only happened once, when they released the A7 in 2013 and then A7 II in 2014. I believe there was a need for Sony at that time to market their mirrorless full-frame cameras more aggressively. After that, Sony took 4 years to upgrade from A7 II (released in 2014) to A7 III (released in 2018). In fact, Sony didn’t even announce any A7/ A7R/ A7S product in 2016. The A7S II might be the next camera to get an upgrade. It's now on its 3rd year and counting…You'll have to wait a little longer for their A7 IV release.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The 5D4 is $3500 MSRP and you can get it for $3100. The R is $2300 and you can get it for $???? soon. The R gives you the 5D4 sensor (with maybe some processing improvements) for $1000 to 1200 less. I'm honestly shocked Canon is making a FF sensor of that quality available at that price.

Maybe that's what Canon meant by saying they wouldn't mind cannibalising their own cameras. Also it may suggest they have a better sensor and camera in development to replace 5D4 eventually.

That said the R is not an upgrade to the 5D4. It's clearly positioned in between the 6D and the 5D. Both with price and with features. An individual may or may not want it depending on their requirements and their current equipment.

Yeah, it's definitely between but closer to 6D2 in my opinion.

And this review
agrees it's between 6D2 and 5D4 but closer to 6D2. Also they say weather-sealing is not on par with 5D4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely breathtaking. I hope everybody who has been gnashing their teeth about the grip can get over it now. It has a grip! And I hope everybody who wants IBIS will invest a few minutes and read Canon's white paper. If your lens has IS engineered specifically to that lens's characteristics, you don't NEED or want a redundant, unnecessary, blanket-solution IBIS mucking up rock-solid sensor location. Embrace the future or continue to grind your own pigments. (obtuse reference to painters who refuse to consider buying a camera) I'm guessing all the Pry-the-EF-from-my-cold-dead-hands crowd is already in line for a new Sony and won't be reading this blog anymore.

Upvote 0
well it could be worse :D. As predicted expectations were far too high and people still don't get both Nikon/Canon are very conservative companies that were not going to come out with 1DX and D5s without mirror slapping day one. Sony's A7SIII is off course going to be a dazzling spectacle of specs so if you dislike sony fan comments, block them for the next few months :LOL:. But regardless, everything leaked was right except it does have eye-AF. It may be only in single shot mode, but hey it's a start! no surprises on the video spec as it is the 5D4 sensor after all. Lenses are a good start, although the lineup is going to be pathetic and anemic compared to the stablished Sony for years. you're going to be adapting most of the time and better get on with the program.

Yes, 2019 will bring new models from everybody, including canon. But today this is it...., and I'm not that impressed in just about any area except the potential of the AF system but clearly the camera is holding it back with its inability to exceed 5fps with AF and deny Eye-AF except in single shot mode. I suppose video AF will be good but the crop kills it.

Lenses things look a bit more interesting. For me, the f/2 zoom doesn't really entice me as its range is too limited over what was already limited 24-70, and in that range I rather shoot 1.2 or 1.4 primes which will have far superior bokeh. Not to say some of you will not benefit from losing wide angle FOV for an extra stop and prefer zooms vs primes. That's just not me. The rest are just boring filler lenses I'll never care for, except the 1.2 prime (it better be good for the price). Looking forward to its comparisons with the 1.4 sony and the f/0.95 noct. Pixel peeping will be made great again!

The adapters look completely overpriced except for the entry level one. Feels like a pokemon game: this one has this, this one has that...but no, can't have one with both! If you care for each feature...why not just make a SKU with all of it instead of having all these damn things laying around playing a game of find the right adapter. but choice yai! ;)

Besides that, IMO the new mount is good news long term as it avoids clunky solutions like sticking a rear element "rear ass" inside a mount, and more compact cameras that do not look like pig snout. Best of luck to those that buy it. I'm sure it will be enjoyable.

Upvote 0
Hopefully they read the full sensor for both 4K and 1080p, no line-skipping. That's Sony's secret sauce for high quality video without moire and aliasing.
the way the sony models and the Z6 do it is they do a full 6K readout without line skipping then downscale it to 4K. There is no such thing as "full sensor" readout in video for those particular cameras as the format for 4k is 16:9. What people mean is full sensor width.

Upvote 0
Hi,
When change lens, the sensor is covered... finally, Canon had some common sense. I hate changing lens with my M5 in the field as the sensor is fully expose to the element.

Have a nice day.
I’m not so sure. I did see that lens diaphragm closed down to protect sensor from too much light when camera powered down. But no mention that I saw of covering sensor when changing lenses. Did I miss it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
disappointed..
just a little better than 6d mark 2.. lenses are nice ,but the body..

crippled eye af (maybe will be fixed with software)
only 1080p at 60fps
4k cropped (useless for me)
5fps with AF
single sd card slot
no in body stabilization
and more..

for $2300 is not worth it ,maybe $1600/$1700

sony is looking better and better ,and no ,i'm not a fanboy ,just looking to buy/invest in a new sistem..
waiting for photokina maybe will be anything else announced

Sony has the best value but I HATE their ergonomic and EVF. Those two are deal breaker for me.

There is no perfect camera, it just what you are willing to compromise.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
And I hope everybody who wants IBIS will invest a few minutes and read Canon's white paper. If your lens has IS engineered specifically to that lens's characteristics, you don't NEED or want a redundant, unnecessary, blanket-solution IBIS mucking up rock-solid sensor location.

That's just an Apple-esque deflection. Ideas that couldn't be incorporated in this revision are pointless and unnecessary, until they appear in version X of the product and suddenly they're the best thing ever.

Overall this is pretty 'meh' to me, it's an overpriced mirrorless 6D2 for rich vloggers. I can see why they started with that segment of the market, and it's nice to see Canon moving into the future, but until a 7R / R7 appears then I'll not be opening my wallet.

Upvote 0
as much as they can market it to death as the coming greater than the messiah, it has no eye focus, which a lot of us were hoping for.
Hi,
It's has eye focus AF... might not be as good as Sony version, but Canon will have firmware upgrade to improve it in the near future.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
They needed to release a super wide RF lens with that 4K 1.6 crop.
You can't vlog 4K with a 24mm lens, or a 3lb lens (28-70). The 24-105 also has a min. focusing distance of 17.71 inches...
Yes, you can adapt to an ef-s lens (no 60P) 10-18 which is much lower quality or use an other existing wider lens that will introduce noise when focusing. Unfortunately, this likely won't work for me.

In fact as mentioned in the excellent Click Mag Ep25 presentation, just mount a EF-S EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM.
The EF/EF-S adapter comes standard with the body only package. The EF-S compatibility is a killer feature.

I was shying away from 6DmkII for the bad low light performance, dynamic range, narrow auto focus compared to 6D
and the 5D mk IV does not have a tilty flippy screen and is a lot more expensive
As negative as I was regarding the EoS R, these two features make up almost everything. Not to mention the seemingly great quality of the announced lenses.

Now the remaining negative is battery life, no built in fill flash.

Upvote 0
That's just an Apple-esque deflection. Ideas that couldn't be incorporated in this revision are pointless and unnecessary, until they appear in version X of the product and suddenly they're the best thing ever.

Overall this is pretty 'meh' to me, it's an overpriced mirrorless 6D2 for rich vloggers. I can see why they started with that segment of the market, and it's nice to see Canon moving into the future, but until a 7R / R7 appears then I'll not be opening my wallet.
Your spouse will be pleased. :LOL:

Upvote 0
Yeah AF seems to be a very strong point here. It looks like it'll outperform all other vlogging cameras. But I mostly shoot stills. I wouldn't mind super fast new AF but it's already great on my 5D4.

But I don't understand how people discuss and review it as if it were a pure video camera. Like in this review quoted above:
- that review is practically useless to me to be honest. Ok the guys who reviewed it might be concerned specifically about video, but so are commentators below. And so are many people in this thread.

Was this fimed using a R? Everything was out of focus and blurry.. :)

Upvote 0
People who complain that the 'R' is just a mirrorless 6Dm2 miss the point -- that's exactly right. Canon is starting in the middle.

When Apple transitioned from PowerPC to Intel, they started at the lower end and moved up. The market supported that, and they were able to complete their transition into the higher end machines within a year. Canon will likely do the same: the R will be followed by a higher end R (or two) that are similar to (perhaps extend) the 1Dx and 5D. While I prefer that Canon leave APS-C sensors in the M series cameras, I suspect we'll see an APS-C sensor in an R series, ala a '7R', within the year as well.

This is hockey -- look where the puck is going, not where it is. Canon is starting at the level of the 6D, but that's just a start.

Upvote 0