EOS 5D Mark IV Registered with Indonesian Certification Authority

Jan 29, 2011
Diko said:
shutterfreek said:
... I need 120fps HD. More importantly, I need the body to float on a Ronin M. More importantly, I need to shoot fine art stills with same camera that does all that, in challenged lighting situations. ....

Amin to that. Better would be 240 fps HD.Come one Canon every new phone comes with that! I need it with L class glass and true optical zoom. Why a Pro DSLR needs so much time to implement something like that????

Additionally challenged lighting situations and wi-fi for general purposed pro body is a must for two years already.

I don't want any of that shit, or the associated costs of R&D, heat mitigation development and irrelevant sensor and processing refinements on a still based camera.

The advent of video in DSLR's grew out of the Live View feature, so 'cost' added to the stills camera was marginal and of benefit to the core users. Now unless you do video 2/3rds of model upgrades are entirely useless. I don't give a darn about codecs, video frame rates, headphone sockets, AF in video, dual pixel blah blah blah. Give me stills orientated stills cameras.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
IglooEater said:
Imagine if Canon would scrap video completely on the 5D camera. I'd cheer. I don't need video. I don't want video. I don't like video.

Great idea, because it would also put to rest the naming controversy. Bring on the Canon 5Df...

;D :p

It would solve a number of problems now, wouldn't it.. ;)

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
I don't want any of that S___, or the associated costs of R&D, heat mitigation development and irrelevant sensor and processing refinements on a still based camera.

The advent of video in DSLR's grew out of the Live View feature, so 'cost' added to the stills camera was marginal and of benefit to the core users. Now unless you do video 2/3rds of model upgrades are entirely useless. I don't give a darn about codecs, video frame rates, headphone sockets, AF in video, dual pixel blah blah blah. Give me stills orientated stills cameras.

I hear a lot of macro people saying they love the dual pixel, mind you. I'd love to have it just for those times I use live view either because I'm shooting in a tight spot where my head won't physically fit behind the viewfinder, or when I'm being a wuss and don't feel like lying on my belly in a 0° icy river at -30°. At those times a faster live view autofocus could be cool. :) Oh, and a flippy screen, since I'm already being controversial here. :D

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
kphoto99 said:
Just 2.4, no 5Ghz band for WiFi, so no AC support.

5Ghz band is not compulsory for 802.11ac standard, devices can use 2.4ghz spectrum as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

from the wiki you linked: " 802.11ac only specifies operation in the 5 GHz band. Operation in the 2.4 GHz band is specified by 802.11n."

802.11ax may include it in the spec when finalized. (2019?)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Upvote 0

JP

Aug 5, 2014
Gosh... I'd like to see a 1/250ths top sync speed... and continuing to see a PC socket... in addition to having a shutter release lag time worthy of a camera that costs upwards of 3,500.00 Plus the red AF dot that matches the performance of the red AF dot in the 5D Mark II

4K is ok... but over-kill and it takes up so much memory on my hard drives.. it isn't worth shooting in... that and editing 4K...... man... I'll need a 10K computer upgrade.. because my new iMac just isn't cutting it for the drone footage I shoot in 4K.. Besides... none of my clients want 4K.. or even need it.. they are running videos on Vimeo.. or YouTube.. and their customers are watching them on their smart phones or iPads.. 4K is just a nice spec to me.. and not a useful tool.. I'd be very happy with a full stop of cleaner high iso... and a low iso setting of 25, with decent contrast.. Oh... and one feature that I would love to see... is a flip-screen... a FF body with a flip screen... oh.....the possibilities...

I doubt I'll ever see the day when all of this stuff will be on a camera platform that doesn't have to have a vertical grip built into the body.. Until then, I'll keep plugging away with my still very capable 5D 3 bodies..

Upvote 0
Not read all the thread: tired, being lazy... but here's a thing that came up when I Googled that internal product number and had Google translate for me. Apparently it's the same WiFi jazz as the 80D, and this has been floating around the foreign internets for over a month...
(I've never attached things on this forum before. I don't know if this is going to work, fail or break the internets but I'm going to hit 'post' and pass out. Let's see what happens!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-18-04-02-30.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-18-04-02-30.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 482
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
thanks khufu, your posting worked just fine.

the bottom entry in the table gets my interest: PC2258 with wireless module WM500 ... could this be my next Canon body? "EOS M4 Pro" mirrorless body ... custom-built to my specs (small body, big sensor, fast AF, great EVF, bad-ass battery)?

ps: i don't care at all for 5D4. my 5D3 is the last mirrorslapper i ever bought. along with assorted EF/L glass it is sitting in the dark closet 99% of the time and only got 6800 shutter clicks or so. meanwhile my tiny, featherlight EOS M (1) system has accompanief me on cointless trips and excursions and got 35.000+ clicks ... and counting. i will not bother with fat heavy mirrorslappers in the future. make it small, light and mirrorfree for me!

Upvote 0
JP said:
4K is ok... but over-kill and it takes up so much memory on my hard drives.. it isn't worth shooting in... that and editing 4K...... man... I'll need a 10K computer upgrade.. because my new iMac just isn't cutting it for the drone footage I shoot in 4K.. Besides... none of my clients want 4K.. or even need it.. they are running videos on Vimeo.. or YouTube.. and their customers are watching them on their smart phones or iPads.. 4K is just a nice spec to me.. and not a useful tool..

4K is a very useful tool, even if delivering in 1080p. I basically shoot everything in 4K at work as it allows me to crop in to a scene and have "two shots in one", automate pans with the extra resolution, downscale 4K to 1080p for a cleaner image etc etc. The PC I'm editing on is nothing to write home about either, probably around €1k, and it's fine. Granted it's a bit slow when the effects are piled on in Premiere but rendering previews helps a lot.

I agree that the other stuff you mentioned would be good though. A flippy screen would be amazing and who doesn't want better low light capabilities! I'm on a 5D2 for my personal camera (shooting with an A7S2 at work) and I'm seriously considering the 5D4 depending on it's specs as it could be the perfect all-in-one camera solution for me.

Upvote 0
AvTvM, I'm having fun poking around the internet now with these product codes! I had no idea of v the significance of the letters on my cameras; my 5D3 says "Canon DS126321" on the bottom whilst my M2 tells me it is a "DS126471" and also says "Contains FCC ID: AZD221", which is the wireless module!

The " WM500" is also known by FCC ID "AZD500", akin to the M2's AZD221, however, nosing through online info for both I see that the 221 was, I think, made in Japan, whereas the 500 clearly has " Made in China" plastered across it. Would/can Canon mix & match? Would this necessitate a move to "Assembled in..." branding like others rather than "Made in Japan", or could Canon be producing more EOS products outside of Japan?! (I actually don't know details of M3/M10 production, maybe they have already moved some?) Is badging something as "Contains XX" enough to claim Japanese production when containing Chinese parts?

I'm enjoying being a bit of a detective here, ha! This is definitely top secret though, the sites I'm finding have documentation listed as restricted until November, I think... might just be a new WiFi Ixus or Powershot that's hitting the market in time for Christmas ;) BUT it's 100% a Digital Camera Only module, one of the cover letters stated so.

I'll probably keep digging for a bit, this is fun, and I'll probably answer lots of my own questions... I'll chime in again when I next get confused or find something curious ;)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
AvTvM said:

the bottom entry in the table gets my interest: PC2258 with wireless module WM500 ... could this be my next Canon body? "EOS M4 Pro" mirrorless body ... custom-built to my specs (small body, big sensor, fast AF, great EVF, bad-ass battery)?

ps: i don't care at all for 5D4. my 5D3 is the last mirrorslapper i ever bought. along with assorted EF/L glass it is sitting in the dark closet 99% of the time and only got 6800 shutter clicks or so. meanwhile my tiny, featherlight EOS M (1) system has accompanief me on cointless trips and excursions and got 35.000+ clicks ... and counting. i will not bother with fat heavy mirrorslappers in the future. make it small, light and mirrorfree for me!

Yeah we know, you made your point in your last 800 posts. I truly hope someone makes the camera for you someday, soon.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
slclick said:
AvTvM said:

Yeah we know, you made your point in your last 800 posts. I truly hope someone makes the camera for you someday, soon.

that's the point though it's just never ever ever going to happen no one will ever make *that* camera which is why this whole "mirror slapper" put down stuff is so infantile.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
zim said:
slclick said:
AvTvM said:

that's the point though it's just never ever ever going to happen no one will ever make *that* camera which is why this whole "mirror slapper" put down stuff is so infantile.

Yes, quite the apt description.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
luckily i do not care in the least about Canon fanboi opinions. You can call me anything you want (I will report all inadequate labels though). :)

Whether you like to hear it or not, infantile or not: all I want stupid Canon to do is to build a non-stupid mirrorless camera ... for me and the millions of others who will buy it.

The rest of you can happily continue to buy every new iteration of marginally "improved" - or rather "highly innovative" Canon mirrorslappers. Suit yourself.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
luckily i do not care in the least about Canon fanboi opinions...

Whether you like to hear it or not, infantile or not: all I want stupid Canon to do is to build a non-stupid mirrorless camera ... for me and the millions of others who will buy it.

Only slightly more than 3 million MILCs were made last year – by all brands combined – and so far it looks like even fewer will be made in 2016. So you're suggesting that if Canon makes a 'non-stupid' MILC then more people will buy that one model than buy any other brand of MILC?!? I guess you don't care in the least about your own opinion, because you're sure sounding like the ultimate Canon fanboi!!

Funny how Canon doesn't know about those millions of people who'd buy such a camera. Or maybe...just maybe...they're not stupid ones, except in this fantasy scenario you've concocted in your head.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Only slightly more than 3 million MILCs were made last year – by all brands combined – and so far it looks like even fewer will be made in 2016. So you're suggesting that if Canon makes a 'non-stupid' MILC then more people will buy that one model than buy any other brand of MILC?!?

yes i do.

IF Canon were to produce a fully worthy competitor to Sony A7 II and A7R II ... priced like the Sonys ... plus smart range of native lenses priced lower than Sony lenses (like they currently do) ... and IF it happened BEFORE Nikon does an FF MILC system ... YES, Canon would sell millions of those MILC bodies.

Even a kick-ass EOS M4 (APS-C) fully competitive with Sony A6300 and priced like a Rebel would sell in the millions. Not many more Rebels though ...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
Only slightly more than 3 million MILCs were made last year – by all brands combined – and so far it looks like even fewer will be made in 2016. So you're suggesting that if Canon makes a 'non-stupid' MILC then more people will buy that one model than buy any other brand of MILC?!?

yes i do.

IF Canon were to produce a fully worthy competitor to Sony A7 II and A7R II ... priced like the Sonys ... plus smart range of native lenses priced lower than Sony lenses (like they currently do) ... and IF it happened BEFORE Nikon does an FF MILC system ... YES, Canon would sell millions of those MILC bodies.

Even a kick-ass EOS M4 (APS-C) fully competitive with Sony A6300 and priced like a Rebel would sell in the millions. Not many more Rebels though ...

There is a very simple way to get what you want. Place $1,000 in an escrow account as a deposit on your dream mirrorless camera. Since there are "millions" of others who want exactly what you want, get at least 500,000 of them to also put $1,000 in the escrow account. When you hit 500,000 participants, notify Canon and send them the money you've collected. Faced with that cash and a guaranteed sale of 500,000 I'm quite certain they will gladly develop your dream camera.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Orangutan said:
AvTvM said:
Not many more Rebels though ...

This is a testable hypothesis: you're asserting that the next expected iteration of Rebel will not sell well. We'll see how you react if the next Rebel sells as well as the previous models.

wrong. you did not read/understand what i wrote ... that not many Rebels would be sold (any longer) ... IF and as soon as Canon launches a kick-ass, Rebel-priced EOS M4 (mirrorless, APS-C).

Upvote 0