EOS 5D Mark IV Registered with Indonesian Certification Authority

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
IglooEater said:
Canon Rumors said:
It looks like the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV has been registered with the Indonesian Certification Authority, this generally happens a few months before the announcement of a product. We can confirm that the DS126601 is one of the internal names for the EOS 5D Mark IV.

No. Say it ain't so. :'(

Apple and Samsung used to get 'outed' like this for new products because of domestic (US) FCC filings, which usually are a few months in advance of release.

With cell phones, what the communication tech is often is a major strategic tell (LTE, NFC, etc.), so Apple and others tend to announce their products around the time of FCC public disclosures unless something has changed recently that I missed.

But folks like Canon can let this small cat out of the bag as Wifi/GPS is just a sliver of what a camera offers. They can let this go and withhold announcing the new rig if they want to minimize the downtime between announcement and availability.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
IglooEater said:
Canon Rumors said:
It looks like the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV has been registered with the Indonesian Certification Authority, this generally happens a few months before the announcement of a product. We can confirm that the DS126601 is one of the internal names for the EOS 5D Mark IV.

Apple and Samsung used to get 'outed' like this for new products because of domestic (US) FCC filings, which usually are a few months in advance of release.

With cell phones, what the communication tech is often is a major strategic tell (LTE, NFC, etc.), so Apple and others tend to announce their products around the time of FCC public disclosures unless something has changed recently that I missed.

But folks like Canon can let this small cat out of the bag as Wifi/GPS is just a sliver of what a camera offers. They can let this go and withhold announcing the new rig if they want to minimize the downtime between announcement and availability.

- A

Very interesting. Thanks. I guess if this means availability could be quicker I guess that's a good thing. Just that, in my mind, a "few" is at least three or four, so a "few" months ahead puts the 5D IV in October or November. This is a somewhat subjective analysis at best obviously. ;)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
IglooEater said:
Very interesting. Thanks. I guess if this means availability could be quicker I guess that's a good thing. Just that, in my mind, a "few" is at least three or four, so a "few" months ahead puts the 5D IV in October or November. This is a somewhat subjective analysis at best obviously. ;)

Understand I'm speculating based on what I've read over the years. I deal with the FDA and not the FCC in my day job, so I defer to anyone who actually develops communication products for a living -- they would know better.

- A

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
IglooEater said:
ahsanford said:
IglooEater said:
Canon Rumors said:

- A

... plus the time needed to wait until a bug manifests itself:

1D3: focusing issues (semi-solved by sending it back and/or firmwware upgrades)
1Dx: debris (solved with sending it back)
1DxII Sandisk issue (solved with firware 1.02)
5D2: spot problem (solved with firmware 1.07)
5D3: Light leak in metering (solved with putting tape inside camera)

That being said I am all for upgrading my two 5D3 cameras to two 5D4 ones :) (or a 1DxII and a 5D4)

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Mt Spokane Photography said:
it looks like the Wi-Fi is identical to the rebel as far as hardware goes, firmware may be another story.

Getting Rebel class Wi-Fi is not what I'm looking for in a 5D MK IV.
Do you know if and how much the Wi-Fi module in the 1DX2 differs from the one in the rebels? (I don't)
Could it be the same as well?

Upvote 0
5D Mark iii doesn't have either, whereas 6D already has both WIFI and GPS. Makes sense to keep the 6D ii as the kind of full frame travel camera with the GPS and Wifi, limited focus points, 1/4000, slighter lower pixel count lighter (perhaps slightly better dynamic range and image quality , whereas the 5D iv to be a lot more versatile, better Focus, more AF points, 4k, higher mega pixel count but no the GPS and wifi

I have both 5D Mark iii and 6D - I bought the 6d specifically for my travels for the WIFI and GPS. Its not as dynamic as the 5D. My 5D offers safety of a second memory slot, and better ergonomics, tailored to the professional, so my guess is they would apply similar logic to the next inline models?

My thoughts are this isn't for the 5D IV - the 6D maybe

Upvote 0
monsieur_elegante said:
Indonesian? That certificate is Taiwanese.

Edit: I assume the screenshot of the table is from the Indonesian authority(?) Certificate screenshot is definitely from 2015-12-11 of the Taiwanese authority approving the wireless module for use in DS126601

Datascrip is the Indonesian Canon distributor, based in Jakarta.

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
kphoto99 said:
Just 2.4, no 5Ghz band for WiFi, so no AC support.

5Ghz band is not compulsory for 802.11ac standard, devices can use 2.4ghz spectrum as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac
Is it not mandatory, but how many WiFi chipsets implement AC without also implementing 5gHz?
2.4 is very crowded all high end equipment is moving to 5.

Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
I use the 5D3, 5DSr, 7D2, and I have a good stable of lenses for them. As far as I am concerned Canon can take their good ol' time with the new 5D4. The reason is because I now use a new K1 that solves all my problems with using Canons for outdoor macros and close-ups. K1 has GPS, WiFi, switchable AA filter, and a good solid articulating rear LCD screen on a full frame, high res, pixel shift sensor. I am keeping my Canons, but it will be a long time before Canon offers an upgrade that surpasses Pentax K1 for my purposes.

Upvote 0