Is the EOS 7D Mark II the last in the 7D series? We’re told that it is [CR1]

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Since Sony A7III apears, I've been waiting Canon's respounce. Someting to replace my 7D MkII. Maybe a new body with more focus points, better AF or eye tracking, tilting or variable angle touchscreen, a better sensor, and of course, more speed, with a reasonable price.

But Canon simply insists on low specification bodies with high prices.

Maybe is time to change for Sony and forget about Canon.

Most 7D2 owners need weather sealing. Which means if this rumor is true they might jump, but it won't be to Sony.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
That's why so many full time wildlife photographers are using 7D's because it's consumer only. Who cares about EF-S lenses. The 7D is to be used with 100-400, 500, 600mm big whites. The big megapixel R will need to have 50MP+, at least 10FPS and AF-C/buffer on par with the 7D to compete.
And even then it would not compete with double the price.

its bit odd peoples who can afford 500 or 600mm big white wants consumer price body :p

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
With camera sales dropping, and Canon offering a growing line of mirrorless models, they are likely making the tough decision, drop the less profitable models.Although I had three 7D's, I never warmed up to the 7D MK II and went to FF instead. The ability to gather more light was the reason for me.

I shot my 7D for years and loved it, but like you I never jumped to the mk II and went FF instead. To my surprise I do not miss the frame rate, but I do miss the buffer size. Aside from that nothing lost. If I have to crop the IQ is just as good. If I can fill the frame it's far better. (With the caveat that "far better" isn't necessarily clear until large print sizes, or higher ISOs.)

I'm in the strange position of thinking Canon should make a 7D3, but realizing I would probably never buy it.

Upvote 0

jtf

Mar 22, 2019
With all the talk about the 7D line being a dead end I've started using my M5 with the 100-400 II in my backyard. Reason being is the R intrigues me and I just want to see how it feels to go mirrorless with birds and such.

The bad- ergonomics are awful, but that's the issue with the M5, adapter and pretty good sized lens. I'm 6'4" and between the camera size and the weight of the lens I wouldn't try to hold the camera just by the grip. I also have issues with seeing the photos I've taken in the EVF as well as that short blackout. I want to see my subject asap. I actually got a Robin in flight but it was by sheer luck because I'm not sure I ever saw it through the EVF.

The good- I've tried using the field focus, standard size focus box, small focus box, and when I get it right, I'm really happy with the results. The detail and IQ are really nice. A couple of times the AF couldn't pick up my subject and I had to manually focus first, but then the AF was on target.

Bottom line is I'm OK going mirrorless but the EVF issues of the R would need to be corrected, since they're similar to the M5. The "bar" on the R serves no purpose for me, I want a joystick for focusing. A sports and wildlife R will need to be large enough and sturdy enough to balance with heavier lenses. Other than the M5 every camera I use has a vertical grip too.

My wife uses an 80D with the 70-300L, she saw me using the M5 on the 100-400, looked at me and said 'that looks ridiculous'.

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
its bit odd peoples who can afford 500 or 600mm big white wants consumer price body :p
The crop factor makes these lens appear to be 800 and 960 mm on the 7DMII and when you are limited in how close you can approach wildlife the length of the lens is all you have to make up that distance. Depending on the pixel size of your sensor, there is only so much you can crop the picture to still have enough to print. I photograph to print, not to post on the web, and because of that I can do very little cropping to a photograph from the 7DMII because of the sensor size depending on the size of the print to be made. I have more latitude with my R which has a larger sensor.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
In my opinion (and it is just my opinion and worth about tuppence) a replacement for the 7DII needs 4 things,
1, Single-point spot AF. For burrowing through the brush for little birds. Missing on 80D.
2, Deep buffer. At least as many shots as the 7DII and preferably more RAW capability.
3, Joystick. Still the quickest way to move the AF point around the viewfinder, (select joystick direct in the custom menu) and helpful for ordinary navigation.
4, Weather resistance. At least as good as the 7DII.

As for frame rate, I very rarely use 10fps, I learned very quickly that you can bury yourself in almost identical shots, I only use it if I want a particular shot, like an exhaust flame that is not easy to predict and time a shot to capture it so high frame rate, nice but not essential!
I’m not very familiar with a touch screen for AF selection but I can’t imagine trying to manoeuvre a thumb around under your nose with your eye to the viewfinder?
I basically went 7D to retain the joystick when the 60D lost it, upgraded to 7DII and hope that a 7DIII might be a next step before going R something when they are up there with a sports spec body.
If they do merge the 7D and X0D lines I hope they lift the spec of the X0D and not drop the spec of the 7DIII.

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Why do people always think that someone who has a 500mm lens only using 1DX level cameras? You can buy a used Canon 500mm IS in good condition for less than the price of a 5D4. Nothing about the 7D is consumer. It's basically a 5D4 body with APS-C sensor and faster burst rate.
Glenn Bartley who is one of the best bird photographers is using 7D. My friend has a Nikon D5, D500 and a 600mm F4 lens. He is using the "consumer" D500 for 90% of his wildlife photography.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You can buy a good used 1DX for less than a 5D MkIV too...

For me it's all about AF performance not cropping capability or sensor size, others might have different priorities. I'd take a used 1DX over a 7D MkII any day. But I am happy to accept that is just my opinion and others are just as valid for different people.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting to replace my 7D with a 7D III, or a suitable R body. I also have a M5. A couple of comments:

1. The original 7D can't autofocus a 70-200 f4 L IS USM or a 100-400 L IS USM with a 2x III extender, while the M5 does.
  2. The M5 can't handle saving JPEG + RAW at frame rates over once every two or three seconds, while the 7D merrily shoots a fast burst.

Bottom line: if Canon wants to sell a R replacement for the 7D, it better be able to handle a 7D like frame rate and handle AF at sport/wildlife focal lengths. I wouldn't mind a full frame sensor (most of my lenses are full frame anyway), with the ability to use EFS lenses.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Hi Folks.
In my opinion (and it is just my opinion and worth about tuppence) a replacement for the 7DII needs 4 things,
1, Single-point spot AF. For burrowing through the brush for little birds. Missing on 80D.
2, Deep buffer. At least as many shots as the 7DII and preferably more RAW capability.
3, Joystick. Still the quickest way to move the AF point around the viewfinder, (select joystick direct in the custom menu) and helpful for ordinary navigation.
4, Weather resistance. At least as good as the 7DII.

As for frame rate, I very rarely use 10fps, I learned very quickly that you can bury yourself in almost identical shots, I only use it if I want a particular shot, like an exhaust flame that is not easy to predict and time a shot to capture it so high frame rate, nice but not essential!
I’m not very familiar with a touch screen for AF selection but I can’t imagine trying to manoeuvre a thumb around under your nose with your eye to the viewfinder?
I basically went 7D to retain the joystick when the 60D lost it, upgraded to 7DII and hope that a 7DIII might be a next step before going R something when they are up there with a sports spec body.
If they do merge the 7D and X0D lines I hope they lift the spec of the X0D and not drop the spec of the 7DIII.

Cheers, Graham.
I'd agree with these points.
I'm not sure if its what you mean but I would like a small focus point that could really pick out a small bird amongst branches.
I don't think I can use touch screen for moving the AF point. I see to instinctively not like touch screen on a camera. I like the joystick.
I'd like the focussing to somehow recognise a bird in flight. That's the bit I find more frustrating. A big bird isn't too bad but its hard to track a small bird in flight.
I've no idea on sales but I'd have thought the 7DII Sold well. I think a 7DIII would do well also.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
I've been waiting to replace my 7D with a 7D III, or a suitable R body. I also have a M5. A couple of comments:

1. The original 7D can't autofocus a 70-200 f4 L IS USM or a 100-400 L IS USM with a 2x III extender, while the M5 does.
  2. The M5 can't handle saving JPEG + RAW at frame rates over once every two or three seconds, while the 7D merrily shoots a fast burst.
Bottom line: if Canon wants to sell a R replacement for the 7D, it better be able to handle a 7D like frame rate and handle AF at sport/wildlife focal lengths. I wouldn't mind a full frame sensor (most of my lenses are full frame anyway), with the ability to use EFS lenses.
Not sure why it's worth supporting, there would be very little benefit over using a 1.4 anyway, other than maybe for video.

Upvote 0
My M wasn't, I agree, but the R nails focus every time. I couldn't even get my EOS-1Ds MkIII to nail focus 10% of the time with the EF 50/1.2 but I can shoot my 5yo dancing around with the RF50/1.2 wide open and get eyelash-counting sharpness on 8 out of 10 shots. I haven't really shot the R with the 600/4 but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be the same story.
I logged in to reply to this.

I agree. The R does nail focus and can tear through a lot of shots without buffering. I couldn't nail focus no matter the settings in the 7d mk ii. Looked sharp when the mirror flapped on a 70-200 f4 but was out of focus constantly. Sigma 50 f1.4 art - no sharp focus ever. The 200d/100d could nail focus more consistently... All be it slow

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I logged in to reply to this.

I agree. The R does nail focus and can tear through a lot of shots without buffering. I couldn't nail focus no matter the settings in the 7d mk ii. Looked sharp when the mirror flapped on a 70-200 f4 but was out of focus constantly. Sigma 50 f1.4 art - no sharp focus ever. The 200d/100d could nail focus more consistently... All be it slow
I am anal compulsive when it comes to AF, and constantly comparing shots to find which ones give the best resolution of detail of bird plumage. I find the 5DIV and 5DSR to be very consistent. My previous 7DII, although not quite as good as the more modern bodies, was still pretty good. (I also do use mirrorless and don 't find them substantially better with my lenses.) Did you AFMA your 70-200 f/4? A constant out of focus seems likely to be an AFMA problem. But, you could have had a rogue 7DII.

Upvote 0