More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Back in July, we reported that Canon was working on a high-megapixel EOS R camera body and that two different sensors were being tested, one around 70mp and another over 80mp.
Yesterday we reported on a patent that shows an 83mp full-frame image sensor from Canon, which seems to give some credibility to the original report on the possible sensor resolution for the camera.

(deployads = window.deployads || []).push({});

Over the last 24 hours, we have received a mini-flood of information about the coming camera that we dub the EOS RS (Canon may call it something different) and it’s likely going to replace the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R DSLRs.
The information below is based on a prototype the source claims to have had their hands on.
Rumored information about the EOS RS:

A slightly larger body and...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I’d have to imagine the video specs will be mundane considering the resolution as clearly this isnt built for video. That said I’d also imagine this is where we see the new IBIS system being rumored to work in tandem with lens IS for some crazy good combo IS with even more than 5 stops of performance. My only real complaint with my 5DSR is that it’s (understandably) nearly impossible to hand hold shoot and get maximum effectiveness of the high-res without some really high shutter speeds which arent always possible even at times with an IS lens. An 83MP sensor would even further exaggerate this issue without some amazing IBIS (short of having to tripod shoot all the time). Cant wait to see what they come up with!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
As a replacement for the 5Ds(R) line, which is optimized for high resolution still photography, this sounds like it would be a significant step forward, especially if the sensor performance is as good as speculation suggests.

This isn't intended to be a high speed action photography camera nor is it intended to be the world's best video recording system — Canon makes other systems optimized for those things.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Hope is my isn’t larger than the EOSR. I think the R’s size should be the limit for mirrorless cameras. I think camera manufacturers need to think about that.

You will get something much bigger than the R with the 1DXR (or whatever they call the MILC version down the road). Having a bit larger body then current R for THIS camera would be welcome by pros because the larger telephoto glass this sort of camera will get used with needs to be better balanced. The easiest balance combo I own is the 1DX2 with either the 85 1.4 or the 70-200 2.8.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
As a replacement for the 5Ds(R) line, which is optimized for high resolution still photography, this sounds like it would be a significant step forward, especially if the sensor performance is as good as speculation suggests.

This isn't intended to be a high speed action photography camera nor is it intended to be the world's best video recording system — Canon makes other systems optimized for those things.

Absolutely.
This works for me with IBIS.
No IBIS not there yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I thought that the next advanced or pro body would have IBIS? I am hoping that it will have it. I really like Canon cameras because of their handling and image quality. That said, I also would like to head in the direction of a smaller mirrorless FF camera for travel and landscape photography. I have handled Sony and don't care for the lack of ergonomics, although they do have IBIS. A Nikon Z6 or a probably Z6II is a possibility, but I already own a few Canon L lenses, so would prefer to stick with Canon. Plus, I am not too sure about the fate of Nikon. They might be around in some fashion, but they have not fared well lately, at least financially and are much smaller than Canon. I would also prefer to stay with FF., so, hopefully Canon will start to include IBIS in their mirrorless line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A “new style” of joystick
My neighbour's uncle knows the hairdresser of the Canon CEO's third cousin's dog and he told me that there will be a hole in the camera body of the high megapixel EOS R camera right where the joystick is supposed to be. The user has to put his tongue into the hole and by doing so he can select the AF points with the movement of his tongue. Sony is doomed!

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
My neighbour's uncle knows the hairdresser of the Canon CEO's third cousin's dog and he told me that there will be a hole in the camera body of the high megapixel EOS R camera right where the joystick is supposed to be. The user has to put his tongue into the hole and by doing so he can select the AF points with the movement of his tongue. Sony is doomed!

Just thinking about users testing that camera at the next photokinas Canon both ...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0