No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

padam

EOS 7D MK II
Aug 26, 2015
As for the touch bar, I would never in a million years set it to alter any of the image settings, such as ISO like a lot of people suggested when the camera was released. It's far too imprecise, and too easy to hit accidentally. I do, however, use it to great effect as a toggle for my histogram and my level, as well as swiping to zoom in/out for confirming focus. It works brilliantly for those functions. And in photo review, it serves as a dedicated rating button, which I love.

So all in all, after truly extensive customisation, I've surprised myself and have come to love the button layout. (although I wish someone at Canon would cop on and put the on/off switch within range of the right thumb, so I can turn the camera on with one hand while I lift it )
Thank you for your input. How do you set your ISO? When I link it to certain dials it refuses to go back to auto-ISO, only if it is set up from the M-Fn, if there was an auto-ISO kill-switch during setting it (just like with Fv), it would be a whole lot easier, that can't be hard to implement...
With a mode dial I just turn it between modes at any time (and I set up the custom modes in a way that they are linked, so C3 photo or video is Always one click of a switch, and not random depending where you just left them last time) and I see everything don't even have to turn on the camera to do it, with the top display I can see where I am actually at, but no idea about the other one, so I am not sure how much adjustment it will take. I guess I just have to use the touchscreen mode even though I don't want to when it wouldn't be needed (or the screen is folded away, etc.).
So I still think it is a stupid design (or, knowing Canon by now, a purposeful limitation, they don't want to be "too serious" about a hybrid camera anyway...) and they've made the mode button removable, why didn't they made some of the modes removable, so the rest could fit into one single list (actually, all would fit into a single screen as-is already...) with the order that I prefer, just like the M-Fn menu.
Silent mode is also great to have, but you can't just switch it on or off, it is not even in the Q Menu (but anti-flicker is...), but at least it can be linked to the Custom modes to change it a bit more quickly (so again, it has been left out deliberately, reminds me of a certain other manufacturer's earlier mirrorless cameras so I assume it will not be fixed with firmware but it will be fixed in the next model...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Janek and CJudge

flip314

EOS 80D
Sep 26, 2018
Glad I just bought two new Sony a7iiis and sold my EOSRs. Sad to say this, but Sony are way ahead of the game and the a7iii is the best camera on the market. The latest interviews with various Canon execs helped facilitate the full move to Sony.
Why did you buy the Rs at all then? The A7III was out well before the R, if you thought the R was worse you should have skipped it.

Reactions: Janek

ozturert

I'm New Here
Jan 16, 2019
Glad I just bought two new Sony a7iiis and sold my EOSRs. Sad to say this, but Sony are way ahead of the game and the a7iii is the best camera on the market. The latest interviews with various Canon execs helped facilitate the full move to Sony.
You bought 2 Sonys and sold your EOS Rs (plural?). Then became a member of a Canon forum to brag about that? It seems you joined on 14th March.

CJudge

I'm New Here
Mar 22, 2019
Ireland
www.colin-judge.com
Thank you for your input. How you set your ISO? When I link it to certain dials it refuses to go back to auto-ISO, only if it is set up from the M-Fn, if there was an auto-ISO kill-switch during setting it (just like with Fv), it would be a whole lot easier, that can't be hard to implement...
With a mode dial I just turn it between modes at any time (and I set up the custom modes in a way that they are linked, so C3 photo or video is Always one click of a switch, and not random depending where you just left them last time) and I see everything don't even have to turn on the camera to do it, with the top display I can see where I am actually at, but no idea about the other one, so I am not sure how much adjustment it will take. I guess I just have to use the touchscreen mode even though I don't want to when it wouldn't be needed (or the screen is folded away, etc.).
So I still think it is a stupid design (or, knowing Canon by now, a purposeful limitation, they don't want to be "too serious" about a hybrid camera anyway...) and they've made the mode button removable, why didn't they made some of the modes removable, so the rest could fit into one single list (actually, all would fit into a single screen as-is already...) with the order that I prefer, just like the M-Fn menu.
Silent mode is also great to have, but you can't just switch it on or off, it is not even in the Q Menu (but anti-flicker is...), but at least it can be linked to the Custom modes to change it a bit more quickly (so again, it has been left out deliberately, reminds me of a certain other manufacturer's earlier mirrorless cameras so I assume it will not be fixed with firmware but it will be fixed in the next model...)
The auto-ISO issue is a frustration all right. I'm lucky in that I don't use it often, but it's definitely my preferred auto mode, over AV or TV, as I always want to know exactly where those values are. I have ISO mapped to "hold the Set button and turn the shutter dial". This works really well for me, and it's something I have been using for years. But as you say, turning it all the way down doesn't change it to Auto. If I want Auto, I either have to use the M-Fn button, or the touch screen.

You're absolutely right about not being able to change the Mode with the camera off, that's a really good point. And yes, the top LCD is useless for knowing which direction you actually need to turn, and for how many clicks, until you get to the mode you want. Your thought about being able to remove and re-arrange mode options for the list would be brilliant, I would love that! It's far too cluttered at the moment. My current system is indeed to use the touch screen. I just press the Mode Button with my thumb (actually way easier to do than awkwardly contorting my index finger) and then make my selection from the touch screen.

As for all the other options I frequently use (Silent Shutter and the related Anti-Flickr, as well as EVF Brightness, etc), I have them set to my custom menus. I then changed the directional pad to Eco, Q, Menu, and Picture Profiles (I like to switch to B&W sometimes if I just want to focus on composition without being distracted by colour). Being able to access the Menu with my right thumb while my eye is to the viewfinder is what makes the custom menus much more accessible for me. Especially as pushing Menu automatically takes me to the last setting I had selected, so it's really quick to turn something on or off. Having Eco mode on when I'm just on a walkabout is nice to save battery, but I need to be able to turn it off quickly if I actually want to spend time working on a shot. But if I find myself missing another function, I'd be happy enough to swap Eco out.

I have the other buttons on the back of the camera set to AF-Off (I use the reverse of Back-Button Focus), Servo/One Shot toggle, and AF Method (to swap between Single Point and Tracking). To set Drive Mode, I use the M-Fn button.

That's my set-up anyway! It might get tweaked a bit more, but so far I'm really liking it!

Reactions: padam

mb66energy

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 18, 2011
Germany
www.MichaelBockhorst.de
Ooops. I thought everything is solved with on sensor AF but at least Nikon has't solved the problem. Maybe Canon has discovered the same and we have to wait for the next mirrorless bodies because they implement AFMA ...

But the intrinsic advantage of DPAF is that the whole sensor area can be used for AF and I really like the small AF points (selectable) of the M50 which give a very precise region where the AF has to operate, much smaller than the DSLR AF "points" which are substantially larger than the indicators in the viewfinder. Only disadvantage: doesn't work in low light -> use larger AF "points" where AF acquisition is based on more dual pixel cells which mitigates noise and might include more detail to focus on.

Quarkcharmed

EOS 5DMkIV
Feb 14, 2018
Australia
www.michaelborisenko.com
There is still an off chance that an announcement could come in late 2019, but we think Canon will hold off until the CP+ show next February.
I haven't read all the thread but would like to express my utter disappointment. Not only I'm not getting so much anticipated camera, but also there will be nothing to read and discuss on this forum until the end of the year. I'm switching to Sony rumours site... :/

slclick

5D Mark V
Dec 17, 2013
I haven't read all the thread but would like to express my utter disappointment. Not only I'm not getting so much anticipated camera, but also there will be nothing to read and discuss on this forum until the end of the year. I'm switching to Sony rumours site... :/
Because there's nothing at all going on in the Canon Universe besides a ML camera body.

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I think that the lack of camera will increase the amount of speculation and there will be more to read. After all, this is post #149 on an article saying that nothing is happening :)

slclick

5D Mark V
Dec 17, 2013
I think that the lack of camera will increase the amount of speculation and there will be more to read. After all, this is post #149 on an article saying that nothing is happening :)
Basically the Seinfeld episode of the CR forum.

Jan 31, 2016
Québec
As long as we're dreaming…
Dreaming? You really think I'm dreaming? Are you saying that…
• IBIS is never going to happen? That one is not really important for me, so…
• great low light sensitivity is impossible to obtain? That, I really want. I often take pictures in low light situations, and that can be a struggle.
• AF can't get even better? I tried the eye tracking fonction and loved the idea of it. Now, I wish I could have a camera that quickly grabs my subject and follows it in burst mode.
• 8.5 fps is impossible? My 2004 camera does that and the 7D goes up to 10 fps…

Anybody else thinks I'm waiting for something that will never come? In a robust camera?

See, if I come to the conclusion that I'm waiting for nothing, I'll simply by the RP and be done with it.

By the way, I'm sorry for my poor english, it is not a language I use frequently.

rrcphoto

EOS 5D MK IV
Jun 20, 2013
Dreaming? You really think I'm dreaming? Are you saying that…
• IBIS is never going to happen? That one is not really important for me, so…
• great low light sensitivity is impossible to obtain? That, I really want. I often take pictures in low light situations, and that can be a struggle.
• AF can't get even better? I tried the eye tracking fonction and loved the idea of it. Now, I wish I could have a camera that quickly grabs my subject and follows it in burst mode.
• 8.5 fps is impossible? My 2004 camera does that and the 7D goes up to 10 fps…

Anybody else thinks I'm waiting for something that will never come? In a robust camera?

See, if I come to the conclusion that I'm waiting for nothing, I'll simply by the RP and be done with it.

By the way, I'm sorry for my poor english, it is not a language I use frequently.
that's not the camera that got pushed back (in theory) .. this is the high resolution model.
so you're potentially dreaming that canon is going to release this one next.

your camera isn't going to come out for a long time. canon already basically illuded to that.

the person you're responding to was smoking something if he thought that the global shutter in question added an additional 7EV DR for stills lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: bokehmon22

proutprout

EOS M50
Nov 25, 2018
I love this forum, i mean 9 pages of comments because nothing will happen with canon, amazing. How many comments when they will decide to do something ! In the meantime we can just buy Sony cameras ! And throw comments here.

Reactions: SwissFrank

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I’m sitting on a comfortable chair in a hunting blind during a snowstorm, and even though I have an obsolete mirrorslapper with an articulated screen (forum logic says it could break off any second), I can still take pictures of a punk chickadee.....

So yes, nothing is coming out soon in Canon Mirrorless Land, so go out and shoot with what you have!