What’s next from Canon?

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I agree entirely. "Pro" is a vague term, as evidenced by the wide variety of opinions in this thread alone.

For the "physical" specs, I'd much rather hear about the camera in measurable / tangible terms such as metal vs plastic mounts, material the body is made of, weather sealing, etc. That at least has an indisputable meaning.

Personally, I still consider any camera capable of consistently producing high-quality images that can be used for a variety of commercial (i.e. money-making) purposes to be a professional camera. That's just my opinion. If someone needs a specific level of ruggedness or weather-sealing so be it, but I don't think that's the primary measure of a camera's worth in the "professional" world.
Some features are essential and some features are nice to have.
If you are on a paid assignment outdoors and continue shooting whatever weather conditions are, then you need a camera that’s is reasonably weather sealed.
According to this highly reputable resource Canon R is not weather sealed enough to qualify.
They took the camera apart:

“... Speaking of the Sony A7RIII, it’s taken a bit of internet trashing for its lack of weather sealing. Throw no stones from your glass house, oh Canon shooters. The Canon EOS-R is just about the same; well-sealed buttons and dials, not much else. That means, I think, that it will be fine in a misty rain for a while, but don’t get it saturated and don’t set it somewhere wet.

You can make an argument that tightly fitted plastic shells are good weather sealing. Then again, you can argue that weather sealing means waterproof. Lots of people do that on the way to finding out the warranty doesn’t cover water damage....”

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to take a sharp photo with their Canon 90D? Wait a second, of course they have! And some of those sharp photos were probably taken without a tripod!! The 90D is the same pixel density as an 83 MP full frame. I have a 5DsR and have taken tens of thousands sharp photos hand held. I could use a few more pixels on occasion.
Indeed.

I'm currently shooting birds and wildlife, handheld, with an M6 Mk II (a break from my 1D x and 7D Mk II) and the files from the little camera are so bloody sharp that I've dropped capture sharpening from my workflow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
“... Speaking of the Sony A7RIII, it’s taken a bit of internet trashing for its lack of weather sealing. Throw no stones from your glass house, oh Canon shooters. The Canon EOS-R is just about the same; well-sealed buttons and dials, not much else. That means, I think, that it will be fine in a misty rain for a while, but don’t get it saturated and don’t set it somewhere wet..."
Are Canon shooters uniquely responsible for trashing the Sony for its lack of sealing?

Seems rather unlikely...

Besides, Sony has "pro" aspirations for the A7R III - Canon isn't marketing the R that way:

The R is cheaper, too - in the UK, at least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Indeed.

I'm currently shooting birds and wildlife, handheld, with an M6 Mk II (a break from my 1D x and 7D Mk II) and the files from the little camera are so bloody sharp that I've dropped capture sharpening from my workflow.
Keith, what are your observations in relation to optimal shutter speed requirements for shooting stationary subjects with 90D?
I shoot with two 5D IV bodies. I found that my sweet spot is around 1/FLx1.5.
I do not shoot people slower than1/60 no matter what even at a UW angles.
Thank you.

e.g. T= 1/125s for FL=85mm IS =OFF, handheld.

Upvote 0
My wish list for the next mirror-less cam:

83MP camera with Medium and small RAW modes (41 and 20MP) also crop modes included to use APSC framing in the Viewfinder.

-The Medium and Small RAW modes would have increased FPS, let's say 80MP come in 4 to 5fps, 40MP in 7 or 8 fps and then 20MP can shoot at 14/16 fps
-The APSC crop would be a 32MP one with 12fps. Maybe even more crop modes.
-AF: passing from dual pixel to quadruple pixel AF
-Medium/small RAW use a quad Bayer sensor alike binning to bring cleaner high ISO
-IBIS to allow AI in a night mode picture style. (If phones can do what they do, what could they do with a FF sensor...)
-4G connection and APP/features like send to email, upload to Dropbox, to backup pictures in multiple locations worldwide and plan the editing before hitting the workstation. Also allow bricking and find the location of the camera in case of theft
-In camera encrypted SSD drive. Bye bye memory cards
-USB-C type port for Thunderbolt speed transfer or charging the camera without taking the battery off if required.
-Ultrawide touch screen with configurable zones/shortcuts (this allows more space on top of the camera for wheel controls and buttons and adding specific controls for the right hand) one can see changing in a hybrid VF

All that in a body evolved from the R but with the joystick AF-ON feature rumored in the 1DXIII.

A camera for nearly everything. I know, I ask way much.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
It kinda boggles my mind that people want as much as 80MP to be honest...

I'm curious to see what they do with this new R camera, specifically as a 5DS/R owner. I'd honestly put speed and high ISO performance above more MP as far as improvements I'd like to see. But, I love the OOC color science out of the 5DSR. There's just a vibrancy to its images that the newer cameras in my experience cannot quite match, at least not without a good bit of PP. This includes the 5D4, M6 and now the RP. I'm not getting my hopes up that the "classic look" will make a return.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

I'll be taking whatever high MP numbers they give us, I held off on the 5DSr because I refused to buy into the old sensor tech and feel I might have cut off my nose to spite my face with that decision. I shoot very general subjects but do print more than many. To this end I have my own 24" printer and sell framed 24" x 36" prints with some of my work, the style of these prints is normally high contrast and highly detailed and 20MP doesn't cut it, 80MP would give me the detail I want and room to crop without the expense of moving to medium format and the comparatively limited lens selection I'd have doing that.

Here is an example of what I am outputting that I would love 80MP for, high contrast high detail 24" x 36" prints.

1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
For the "physical" specs, I'd much rather hear about the camera in measurable / tangible terms such as metal vs plastic mounts[..]

I know you're talking about camera bodies here, but talk about plastic lens mounts get me all fired up. There's at least one teardown on lensrentals.com where Roger goes "Hey look what that metal mount is screwed into, PLASTIC!" I think similar gotchas exist for camera bodies, the appearance of quality isn't always actual quality.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well, once you do anything where going closer is no option, the alternatives to getting a larger image of your subject is using higher focal length ($$$) or cropping. The former is not really an option for many people, be it because of the associated price or weight. And the latter one only becomes a decent option at high resolutions.

A higher resolution can be converted to a lower one to save files and the image can even be read in crop mode for greater FPS. The other way around, you have to go through some annoying processes to go beyond the limit of your sensor resolution. So you're essentially stuck.

I personally find the thought of going to FF with a camera that let's me keep all the strengths of using a crop DSLR (Pixel density, compatible with EF-S, moderate weight due to mirrorless) very appealing.

Upvote 0
Re the "PRO body" vs "non-PRO body" discussion... Simply put, a PRO body is one designed specifically to be used by professional photographers. All compromises that are made are with a focus on the professional photographer. And not just any type of professional but those who are likely to subject the camera to the harshest conditions rather than those who can baby their cameras in a warm studio. The 1-series is where Canon do this. For many professionals there have always been benefits of using a different camera but that does not mean those cameras were designed with an exclusive focus on professional use and abuse rather than a compromise to attract other types of users.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Re the "PRO body" vs "non-PRO body" discussion... Simply put, a PRO body is one designed specifically to be used by professional photographers. All compromises that are made are with a focus on the professional photographer. And not just any type of professional but those who are likely to subject the camera to the harshest conditions rather than those who can baby their cameras in a warm studio. The 1-series is where Canon do this. For many professionals there have always been benefits of using a different camera but that does not mean those cameras were designed with an exclusive focus on professional use and abuse rather than a compromise to attract other types of users.
I think the term one is looking for is "heavy duty" vs "standard duty"... both of which are used by professionals according to their use case. Some guy scaling mountains is no more the professional than the guy making his living in a studio. The daredevils are few and far between. Whether a guy uses Craftsman vs Snap-on has nothing to do with his competence. The idea that either camp "abuses" his equipment is irrelevant. A professional who does so intentionally is either an idiot or has more money than good sense.

In my opinion there is no such thing as a professional body, just professional photographers... meaning people who have reached a certain level of competence and can make a living at it. All the hand wringing about whether a camera itself is "professional" is a little silly. A person doesn't have to use a 1DX Mark III to be a professional. What makes one a pro is not his gear, but his work. Period.

New Zealander Burt Munro, who set a world land speed record, comes to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I think the term one is looking for is "heavy duty" vs "standard duty"... both of which are used by professionals according to their use case. Some guy scaling mountains is no more the professional than the guy making his living in a studio.
Normally, a "professional" tool is a tool that is intended to be used 40+ hours per week and that has a warranty covering such use.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Normally, a "professional" tool is a tool that is intended to be used 40+ hours per week and that has a warranty covering such use.
Ahhhh... like a 70D. 1 year warranty just like a 1 DX. My Craftsman hand tools carry a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Snap-on ask's questions. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the term one is looking for is "heavy duty" vs "standard duty"... both of which are used by professionals according to their use case. Some guy scaling mountains is no more the professional than the guy making his living in a studio. The daredevils are few and far between. Whether a guy uses Craftsman vs Snap-on has nothing to do with his competence. The idea that either camp "abuses" his equipment is irrelevant. A professional who does so intentionally is either an idiot or has more money than good sense.

I agree.
I consider myself a professional as photography is my main source of income for the past 14 years and I have burnt through the top segment Canon gear for at least 10 of those, abusively! I currently own 4 bodies, one 1DX2, a pair of 5DIV (one of which needs repairs because it banged up a lot) and the R. I bought the R thinking it was not a serious "pro" camera and have go at the RF primes and play around with it for recreational purposes. I had a love/hate relationship with it and sometimes still do because of the sucky ergonomics BUT this thing is so much fun and after 4 months with and I am using it on 80% of my gigs almost exclusively, even on high demand clients AND harsh conditions. It drowned in a massive champagne shower on a wedding party once where I was in the middle of it, I did not want to stop shooting and miss the moment. Wiped it off afterwards, it got more sticky and smelly but kept on banging like a champ. It never failed to deliver, so far. So yeah, I consider this a pro body just because it does everything that I want it to do in the demanded situations.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I'll be taking whatever high MP numbers they give us, I held off on the 5DSr because I refused to buy into the old sensor tech and feel I might have cut off my nose to spite my face with that decision. I shoot very general subjects but do print more than many. To this end I have my own 24" printer and sell framed 24" x 36" prints with some of my work, the style of these prints is normally high contrast and highly detailed and 20MP doesn't cut it, 80MP would give me the detail I want and room to crop without the expense of moving to medium format and the comparatively limited lens selection I'd have doing that.

Here is an example of what I am outputting that I would love 80MP for, high contrast high detail 24" x 36" prints.

View attachment 187492
Beautiful

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

I'm curious to see what they do with this new R camera, specifically as a 5DS/R owner. I'd honestly put speed and high ISO performance above more MP as far as improvements I'd like to see. But, I love the OOC color science out of the 5DSR. There's just a vibrancy to its images that the newer cameras in my experience cannot quite match, at least not without a good bit of PP. This includes the 5D4, M6 and now the RP. I'm not getting my hopes up that the "classic look" will make a return.
Could the gorgeous IQ have something to do with all the mp in the 5DSR sensor, along with the cancelling of the AA filter?

Upvote 0
Ahhhh... like a 70D. 1 year warranty just like a 1 DX. My Craftsman hand tools carry a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Snap-on ask's questions. ;)
Unfortunately these days craftsman doesn't ask questions, but you'll be replacing that replacement a year from now too. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0