Atomos brings 8K 30p ProRes RAW to the Canon EOS R5 with the Ninja V+

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Melbourne, Australia – 28th April 2021 – Atomos is thrilled to announce that it is expanding the Ninja family, with two exciting new Ninja products and a major update for Ninja V!
Ninja V receives the option for H.265 codec upgrade, Ninja V+ – is built for Apple ProRes RAW 8K productions, and Ninja Stream – 4Kp60 HDR for a high-quality social distancing production environment.
The Ninja V receives H.265 (HEVC)
The original Ninja V, launched in 2018, remains the most popular Atomos product and receives the ability to add the H.265 (HEVC) codec. The 5” 1000nit 10-stop HDR monitor allows users to accurately monitor and record from either HDMI or SDI. Atomos continues to expand Apple ProRes RAW support on all partner cameras over HDMI and SDI. The Ninja V will continue to receive updates for cameras and additional functionality via AtomX modules whilst remaining at the price of $595.
word-image.jpeg

The popular...

Continue reading...

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Apparently, from the product preorder pages:

ProRes raw recording over HDMI up to 8K30 with cameras such as the Canon R5 (more camera integrations coming from mid-2021)
I already own the Ninja V and don't really use it, but I would buy the V+ if 8k prores raw from the R5 would be included. Seriously, I doubt that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
According to Canon (page 905 of the manual) the R5 cannot output 8k over HDMI, the HDMI standard (hardware) fitted to the R5 is incapable of doing 8K.

Atoms are using the same ‘marketing terminology’ they have done before, ie, completely falsely misrepresenting the actual abilities of the cameras, not their products.

66709CFC-2F54-4B6D-BB95-E3C12867D8F5.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
According to Canon (page 905 of the manual) the R5 cannot output 8k over HDMI, the HDMI standard (hardware) fitted to the R5 is incapable of doing 8K.

Atoms are using the same ‘marketing terminology’ they have done before, ie, completely falsely misrepresenting the actual abilities of the cameras, not their products.

View attachment 197313
Would it be possible with a hardware update to Canon service?
Or simply because it is for a different version of R5?
Anyway, the H.265 on the V could interest me.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Would it be possible with a hardware update to Canon service?
Or simply because it is for a different version of R5?
Anyway, the H.265 on the V could interest me.
I very much doubt it, my understanding, and I could be wrong, is that it is the chip that controls the HDMI port. There is no chance Canon will change those. Of course they might make an R5n, like the 1D MkIIn that had some hardware improvements over the MkII, but I doubt it. Maybe the R3 will have a higher spec HDMI controller.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Does the R5 put out 8k through hdmi? If not how this Ninja can record 8k from R5?
The word on the YouTubes was that the R5 HDMI was not fast enough but Atomos knows how popular the R5 is and can afford one to test with.
If it works without overheating then this is a must-buy for me even though I already own a Ninja V.
I guess I will keep it as a backup.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

View attachment 197313
Capabilities aside there is no setting for 8K or 4K/120 over HDMI so Atomos would have to be working with modified firmware.

Upvote 0

The R5, as far as I can tell, has HDMI 2.0 which supports 8k30 4:2:0 (as well as 4k120 4:2:0). While the manual says it's not supported, the HDMI hardware can. Assuming the rest of the hardware can actually support 8k over HDMI, I imagine there will be a firmware update to officially support this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
"Atomos and Canon are delighted"
The R5, as far as I can tell, has HDMI 2.0 which supports 8k30 4:2:0 (as well as 4k120 4:2:0). While the manual says it's not supported, the HDMI hardware can. Assuming the rest of the hardware can actually support 8k over HDMI, I imagine there will be a firmware update to officially support this.
It looks like the announcement is coming from both Atomos and Canon so I do expect a firmware update.
I do hope Black Magic responds in kind.
They do seem to be trailing Atomos.
I question what an R5c would have to be to coexist with R5 + Ninja V+, R3, C90, and R1 but I still do hope they all come in some form.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Incredible news! I always thought there was a hardware limitation on this, but if Atomos is collaborating with Canon on this and specifically mentioning the R5 in their announcement, well then... I'm not complaining if they can make it work.

I loved the idea of shooting a large stage in 8K and zooming panning in post delivering in 4K or even FHD. The only issue is, the R5 will only give you 15 minutes and subsequently shorter times. So unless your event is short, the application was limited. Having an Atomos with a cheap SSD and no recording time limits makes the dream of an edit that looks multicam with a single camera alive again!

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
The word on the YouTubes was that the R5 HDMI was not fast enough but Atomos knows how popular the R5 is and can afford one to test with.
If it works without overheating then this is a must-buy for me even though I already own a Ninja V.
I guess I will keep it as a backup.
I dont belive that some YouTube guys can actualy tear the mainboard apart and tell for sure what kind of technical connection is made inside of the HDMI port.
Currently 4k60 is the limit - but firmware update MAY change this. The Atomos announcement looks awesome.
Though I belive that 8k RAW is not an important feature for me. 4k RAW would be awesome, but 8k RAW is for 99% of my work overkill.
Also it would be important if the camera keeps overheating while recording externaly. If not, this would be a gamechanger and make the R5 fit for 8 more years :-D

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I dont belive that some YouTube guys can actualy tear the mainboard apart and tell for sure what kind of technical connection is made inside of the HDMI port.
Currently 4k60 is the limit - but firmware update MAY change this. The Atomos announcement looks awesome.
Though I belive that 8k RAW is not an important feature for me. 4k RAW would be awesome, but 8k RAW is for 99% of my work overkill.
Also it would be important if the camera keeps overheating while recording externaly. If not, this would be a gamechanger and make the R5 fit for 8 more years :-D
I would love 4K raw from the R5, but wouldn't it mean it'd be cropped? Not sure if the R5 can output a oversampled or pixel binned AND Raw image. This is why it already isn't available in camera. Unless the Atomos can do some of the processing? I don't know how that would work.

I doubt overheating will be an issue in a practical sense. There was a time when having the LCD screen on would cause overheating on the R5 even when outputting to a Ninja, but that's been fixed in a firmware update. 4K120 is the biggest culprit to overheating, so it might be technically possible to overheat with an external recorder, but I don't even know if this feature will be available. Currently the announcement says 4K120 is available with a couple Z-Cam models, and Sony cinema cameras utilizing the SDI Kit.

Upvote 0