Canon Announces the EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera

transpo1 said:
It’s too bad about the crop and no 4K DPAF. Together, those kill a lot of interest in this camera.

Even with the crop, if the 4k had dpaf, it would still be an interesting option with something like the 11-22mm ef-m lens, for people wanting a one person rig/vloggers etc.

The cdaf doesn't look great from some of the pre-production reviews - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGHh5062azE around the 7 min mark

looks like the electronic stablilizinng crops in even further too

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
goldenhusky said:
Talys said:
rrcphoto said:
goldenhusky said:
SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card UHS-I compatible WTF Canon?

who really cares about this? on an entry level camera?

Exactly.

It is 2018. UHS ll was introduced back in 2011 and it is expected to be in a camera in 2018.
Even on a camera that doesn't make use of UHS-II speed. Great logic!

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
tron said:
goldenhusky said:
It is 2018. UHS ll was introduced back in 2011 and it is expected to be in a camera in 2018.

B-but it's 2018! Nobody is going to buy this unless there's "UHS-II" in the spec sheet! ::)

Upvote 0
Woody said:
Pupil AF only in AF-S mode. Sigh...

I hope it's just a handicap in the M50, not a limitation imposed by the DIGIC 8 processing speed.

Yeah, this is my thought about the whole camera. I don't really care that 4K is cropped that heavily in an entry level camera (even though the competition don't crop this heavily at all - let's be realistic, in video terms, this is now using a sensor area smaller than micro 4/3), etc.

But it does send very mixed signals to those looking to the future of Canon's higher-end DSLR/mirrorless options; is this just 'crippling' an entry level camera to protect higher end models, or does it signify that Canon still don't recognise that the heavy 4K video crop has been very unpopular, and forgetting that, on full frame cameras at least, that they have no lenses suitable for wideangle shots on that 1.7 crop? Or does it mean that they simply don't have the sensor/processing tech yet to compete with other brands which have been perfecting this tech in full-frame or near full-readout APS-C for some time?

It still leaves me on the fence as to how much I should commit to Canon long-term, they're not helping customers, or potential customers who are/have been on the fence to have a lot of faith here. We could do with clearer indications, or even actual roadmaps, of where Canon intend to take some of this, it really would be very helpful.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
tron said:
goldenhusky said:
Talys said:
rrcphoto said:
goldenhusky said:

Exactly.

At the video storage rate of 120 Mbits/ second , you are writing to the card at 15Mbytes per second, easily done on UHS-1.

If you store Raw files plus Jpgs, you need about 40 Mbytes times 10FPS, or about 400MBytes per second to keep up.... UHS-2 would certainly help here.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
TonyPicture said:
The main differences seem to point to the m50 being a better camera, with added flip-out screen, 4k, DPOF file format, DIGIC 8 processor, IBIS, more auto focus points... yet the price is a lot lower than the m5!

Can anyone explain what's going on?

There’s no IBIS. I don’t get how people think there is.

Anyway, it’s a nice leap in technology but it’s still an entry-level body. However, I suspect an M5 Mark II isn’t that far off.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 380306

Sharlin said:
TonyPicture said:
The main differences seem to point to the m50 being a better camera, with added flip-out screen, 4k, DPOF file format, DIGIC 8 processor, IBIS, more auto focus points... yet the price is a lot lower than the m5!

Can anyone explain what's going on?

There’s no IBIS. I don’t get how people think there is.

Anyway, it’s a nice leap in technology but it’s still an entry-level body. However, I suspect an M5 Mark II isn’t that far off.

I'm really wondering why the better looking camera ref specs is so much cheaper?

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
TonyPicture said:
According to Canon's website in the movie mode it has 'In-camera Digital IS' and I see now so did the M5(I didn't know that)

Yeah, M5 indeed has it too. But IBIS usually is taken to mean stabilization based on physically moving the sensor. Which no Canon cameras has.

But lets not get bogged down here with that issue, I'm really wondering why the better looking camera ref specs is so much cheaper?

Other than the obvious lack of physical controls and C modes, I presume it also lacks other features Canon usually uses to differentiate enthusiast bodies from entry-level ones. But from the specs viewpoint it does indeed look like a very good deal right now. The M5 and M6 apparently did just get a ~50¤ price drop.

Upvote 0
To a certain extent, the M50 is well specified for its intended entry-level market. The challenge for Canon is that their new entry level cameras at their launch price are bound to be compared with the older mid-high end models from other manufacturers that are nearing the end of their life-cycle. Party this is because (not trying to spark a flame war here) Canon hasn’t exactly been leading the way with headline grabbing new features on their consumer level models, so there’s nothing that the entry level consumer can point at and say “oh that feature is missing, it’s old tech so I’ll go for the Canon”. In some ways (if it works seamlessly), the instant export image to smartphone feature is the closest that the M50 gets to a “killer feature”.

As existing Canon users, we may argue that it doesn’t matter because we know that Canon makes cameras that in use, just work extremely well (caveat: how many of us have that extensive a experience of using other brands’ {recent} cameras for comparison?). We might also argue that in practice 95% of people don’t actually need feature xyz, but as a new buyer you just can’t appreciate these aspects as you have probably never used a “serious” camera before. Therefore you fall back on:

[list type=decimal]
[*]Friends’ advice: “I use brand x and they make the best cameras because if they didn’t, I’d be using something else”
[*]Dealer’s advice: “I recommend camera y, it’s the best because selling one to you helps me reach my monthly sales target for that model”
[*]The internet review sites’ advice: “Our expert reviewers recommend camera z, it’s the best because it’s NEW and has lots of exciting features that we can talk about without our reviews becoming carbon-copy dull... are you excited? Then hit the Buy Now! link at our affiliate advertiser, or consider making a small donation to help support the great work we do taking photos of the foam on the top of our artisan vegan-soy latte”.
[/list]

I’m now totally confused. I’ll just type in “camera comparison” into Google.... aha, here’s a couple of great websites:

http://cameradecision.com/search
http://snapsort.com/compare

Now why doesn’t everyone just make it that simple? ;)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Don Haines said:
tron said:
goldenhusky said:
Talys said:
rrcphoto said:
goldenhusky said:

Exactly.

At the video storage rate of 120 Mbits/ second , you are writing to the card at 15Mbytes per second, easily done on UHS-1.

If you store Raw files plus Jpgs, you need about 40 Mbytes times 10FPS, or about 400MBytes per second to keep up.... UHS-2 would certainly help here.....
I do not believe that someone who selects both RAW and JPG is a person who would utilize 10fps. Plus this camera is not a sports one (although admittedly higher fps can be used for anything not only sports). Having said that higher specs are always welcome in every model. I do not defend Canon. I believe eventually they will turn to the faster standard. And if I saw a 7D3 and/or a 5DsRMkII with a UHS-I controller I would be upset!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 380306

Sharlin said:
TonyPicture said:
According to Canon's website in the movie mode it has 'In-camera Digital IS' and I see now so did the M5(I didn't know that)

Yeah, M5 indeed has it too. But IBIS usually is taken to mean stabilization based on physically moving the sensor. Which no Canon cameras has.

They both have '5-axis electronic image stabilization (IBIS?)' I think you're a little confused as to what IBIS actually means...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_yStTHxgqo

Upvote 0